Mandarin Logo
Mandarin

Web-based & fully customizable library automation software

visit website

Mandarin Reviews - Page 2

ML

Mollissa L.

Libraries, 51-200 employees

Mandarin

Excellent! As always, the technical support team at Mandarin is outstanding. Their response speed, willingness to help, follow through, and accessibility is the best.

Pros

Easy to use, M5 Reports seems easier than old method

Cons

Would like more kid friendly features, such as video book trailer ability

Jorge C.

VERSATILE TOOL FOR LIBRARIES AND FILES

Your online technical support is fast and effective

Pros

This quick tool facilitates your work by its great search capacity, oriented to the format of those we know on the web

Cons

Taking into account that the software is quite complete, there are functions that could be changed and give more information to the material or document that is already expired or that is no longer being used

Thank you Jorge. We appreciate your feedback.

JL

Julie L.

Libraries, 1-10 employees

Excellent program and excellent customer support

We've been using Mandarin for more years than I know of. Whenever we have an issue or suggestion, we email Mandarin and we get the quickest and best help ever.

Pros

Ease of use; functionality; easy to learn.

Cons

Some of the report tools are complicated.

EM

Ebony M.

Libraries, 11-50 employees

Mandarin - A Good Choice

Overall, I love Mandarin and would recommend it. I am in my first year with this product, so occasionally I have questions. The customer service has always been kind, helpful, and quick.

Pros

I love that my card catalog is available online to families and is so user friendly for them. They love the visual search and recommended reading pages! The gallery is also a nice bonus, as is the blackboard. It is also extremely helpful that you can customize your searches to narrow down your results. Also, I, as an administrator, like how easy it is to carry out transactions for the students.

Cons

Filling in values for book information gets a little confusing. Adding a book using the ISBN is a great feature that automatically fills in most information needed. However, if you must manually add a book, then it is tedious looking up what information goes into what value number and field/sub-field.

TM

Tammy M.

Libraries, 11-50 employees

Mandarin 5 Review

Pros

I like how easy it is to use Mandarin 5. I also like the customer support for when I have a problem or various questions. They are very quick to respond back to me and help solve the problem.

Cons

I like this software a lot but if I have to pick what I like the least it would be occasional quirks in the system that have to be fixed by Mandarin.

SM

Stella M.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Review of Mandarin

Okay. Tech support is amazing, though.

Pros

Can be accessed on any computer Great technical support

Cons

The transfer of data from our old system to this one was mediocre at best (Came on board when the transfer had already occurred). I have to visit EVERY book and re-enter spine info. Also quite a few books were lumped in as bib-holdings for totally different books. I understand the imported data may have been in very bad shape as well. However the ability to change multiple records in Mandarin is time consuming and extremely cumbersome. I would have liked to see rows of books in spreadsheet format and be able to edit that way. As it is TOO many screens to scroll to before you can make the edits.

Hi Stella, We will have a technical support representative contact you ASAP. It looks like we have been able to assist you based on your email below. We are glad we were able to assist you. Alex, I just spoke with you and you were able to show me a MUCH faster way to edit these bib-holdings. THANK YOU. Best regards, Stella Marquez PE Teacher FACTS SIS Administrator M5 Library Administrator Blessed Sacrament School, Sandy UT

LF

Laura F.

Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 employees

Private School Library Automation Success

I am pleased with the Mandarin System and their Support staff.

Pros

The software was easy to learn and is user-friendly in our library. I would recommend this product to other private schools needing library automation.

Cons

Once the books were added to the inventory, making corrections in the edit function could be challenging resulting in more errors.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Mandarin is a great library software!

Overall Mandarin has been wonderful for managing our library needs. Reports, email to patrons, entering books, etc. all go fairly smoothly. When we do have a problem or question Mandarin support is quick to respond and great to work with.

Pros

Love that it is easy to learn and has fantastic customer support! Much easier to use than larger library software systems I've used in the past. The conversion from the old system to this one was very smooth. Very affordable.

Cons

Having to switch between the Equipment, Textbook and General Library databases is sometimes confusing. One often forgets on the first search for an item and has to go back and re-search.

HJ

Helen J.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Great alternative for small and medium sized libraries.

Mandarin is a wonderfully affordable program that has many bells and whistles for the price.

Pros

Ease of use Tech Support is very helpful. You can either watch videos or call for personal support.

Cons

search function for entering MARC records

DK

David K.

Superb Customer Service

Our 30,000-volume, volunteer-run genealogy library recently upgraded its OPAC to Mandarin's web-based M5 platform. It's paid huge and immediate dividends. Searches take a fraction of the time; the page interface and faceted search functions are much more user friendly; and it is an all-around more versatile tool for patrons and staff. Moreover, Mandarin's customer and tech support have been top-notch throughout this process. Migrating data to a new system, and customizing that system to your organization's needs, is no small thing. This team could not have been more responsive, easing our stress considerably. We are a special interest, non-circulating collection, but I would not hesitate to recommend M5 to other libraries as well.

NM

Nicholas M.

Great software for general library circulation and management needs

I have enjoyed seeing the development of the services offered to our school as a library patron on staff at our school. Stepping into the role of Librarian allowed me to use the product much more extensively for management purposes. The staff at MLA Solutions offered training to help with this transition and over the years has aided me in applying the software features in our library setting. Due...

NL

Nina L.

M5 -- Welcoming the newest online catalog for long time users.

We are enjoying the new M5 functionality as we are learning - quickly - to navigate the new interface, exploring implications and applications of all the new "toys" like the new filters on the left tool bar - which I love. Being able to limit results to fiction v. nonfiction is an absolute gift. Being able to show only available titles is especially helpful in active collections. I use it regularly...

HK

Henie K.

I have happily used the Mandarin/Oasis software for at least 10 years.

Mandarin was one of the first software companies to provide display of different languages to smaller libraries. Many years ago this capability existed for university libraries but not high school libraries. I am a librarian in a high school that teaches in three languages - English, French and Hebrew. I needed this capability and Mandarin has consistently continued to provide this option. They...

NL

Nina L.

Mandarin makes life simple!

As a Mandarin customer since 1996, I depend upon the Oasis system to deliver consistent and powerful service for patrons and library staff alike. The face that Oasis presents to patrons is user friendly and intuitive while the face that Oasis presents to the professional library staff is that of a robust and flexible toolkit. With technical support folks a mere phone call or email message away, knowing...

LI

Lynn I.

Mandarin M5

Pros

We recently transitioned from Mandarin M3 to Mandarin M5. M5 is very easy to use by the staff and patrons. It offers different functionalities that we did not have access to with M3.

Cons

Nothing negative to say for the moment we just started using M5 and everything is going smoothly.

MC

Michal C.

Libraries, 201-500 employees

Excellent customer service

The customer service is the best feature. Answers are almost immediate, and tech support is always helpful and reliable.

Pros

The software is versatile, and the features are endless.

Cons

Not intuitive- I find that certain features work very well, but you need to learn how to use them beforehand.

HK

Henie K.

Mandarin/Oasis experience

I have been using Mandarin/Oasis for 10 years. I had looked at 4 different systems at 4 other high schools in the Montreal area. I liked the clear simple interface, without the template boxes, the best, and closest, to the interfaces the junoir colleges used at the time. The system is easy to use, and the team at Mandarin produce updates, taking into account librarian requests at least once a year. The tech team are exceptionally responsive to questions, problems that may arise, to producing customized reports. The ease of which one can use many languages is important for me, as we teach three languages at our school. I rate this product very highly.

PM

Peggy M.

A solid system

There are about 30 public libraries in Ontario using various versions of Mandarin M3/Mandarin Oasis. The system has been a solid performer over the years, at a price that is reasonable and manageable for smaller libraries. When we were looking for a system that would allow each library to use the system independently, and without an onsite IT person, Mandarin was the one that seemed to be the best fit. Check-in, check-out, holds, catalogue searches - all of those basic functions are easy to manage within this system, and easy to explain to new staff or volunteers coming into the library. A good choice.

MD

Maureen D.

Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Mandarin fulfills our needs

When our Student Information System decided to get rid of their library system we had been using for years I didn't know where to begin. Mandarin provides a lot for the cost and has met the needs of our small school library.

Pros

It is easy to catch on to the features and how it works. It has a lot of neat things you can customize, many we have not used yet, but I hope we will in the future. Customer support has always been easy to reach and very knowledgable and helpful.

Cons

Some things don't seem intuitive for me, but support is always quick to respond when I can't figure something out or find the answer in documentation.

DW

Dee W.

Technical help is outstanding

Hi Art, I am with Province in Maricopa Az and have been interfacing with your tech support folks. I have worked with both Mike and Tom and what a joy it is. Both those fellows are so knowledgeable and always willing to help me out, make suggestions and just do a fantastic job in general. I always come away knowing that their going to make things happen and if I have a problem I can call them. It's good to know they are always there when I need help. Dee Walsh Province Community Association Maricopa, AZ

DN

Diane N.

GREAT SYSTEM FOR SMALL PUBLIC LIBRARIES

Our small but very busy community library in a small Maine town has been with the Mandarin system for several years. Their product gets better with each upgrade, the technical support when needed is timely and we are usually not impacted by "fixes." Mandarin has allowed us to move our library forward with new technology, ideas and services that ensure our library keeps up with our patrons' ever changing needs. The Library Governing Board and I recommend Mandarin as an affordable, reliable and excellent system.

CB

Carol B.

Good, solid library program

I find Mandarin Oasis Hosted an excellent library program. The people in support are exactly that, supportive. They respond quickly to request for help and stay with an issue until a good remedy is found. I especially appreciate the way the program accepts both AACRII and RDA records. The transition could have been awful, but any problems were solved very quickly.

PL

Patty L.

Library-friendly, school-friendly, technology-friendly--a complete winner!

Mandarin serves our diverse needs for cataloging, processing, circulation, and collection management--with a wonderful, caring, and very accessible Mandarin staff and support group right there to assist us at any time. We are deeply grateful and appreciative of your presence and assistance over all the years we have worked with Mandarin!

DS

Darlene S.

Oasis meets and exceeds our expectations

Implemenation was quick and easy. We have 42 schools and 50,000 students and staff using Oasis. In three years we have experienced one failure and it was caused by an internal network problem. Mandarin tech support is exceptional and always open to suggestions.

Pros

Web based. Great search capabilities.

Cons

The working side of Oasis needs improvement. Lacking in the number of prewritten reports.

ac

adriana c.

We have been using Mandarin for 14 years at the library.

Pros excellent customer service, fast reply to our inquiries Cons Oasis has some difficulties with generating reports. There are few documents or guides in Spanish.

Cons

Thanks for the review. We are working on a new web-based report tool.