Onshape Reviews

Onshape

Full-cloud 3D CAD system for design teams

Onshape

Excellent support and feature execution

Easy to share your work and collaborate. Easy to work from anywhere.

Pros

Onshape support is the best, bar none. Their feature implementation has rivaled or improved upon most major CAD programs. It's extremely intuitive, clean, and easy to be productive.

Cons

It's relatively new so lacking some features, but they're adding important features at a good pace. Plus, you get them immediately, without installing software!

Onshape v Solidworks

Abysmal quality of training meant that the software was unusable

Pros

Shareability. The idea that customers could directly interact was a great sales point

Cons

Failure to provide credible training. Software is not bought for the technical advances or features. These are almost certainly offered in whole or in part by the competition. It is training and support that differentiates competitors. Onshape training is totally inadequate in my experience.

Very impressed

I'm able to do everything I need design-wise within OnShape. The cloud storage, mobile support, and sharing options are great add ons.

Pros

I was able to pick it up very quickly with my SolidWorks experience, and it seems to be the most economical option for my small business.

Cons

The only cons I can think to list are that even though it's the most economical option out there, it is still expensive for a small business like mine. There have only been a handful of times I wanted to do something, and the functionality wasn't there. But I was always able to find a suitable work around.

Don't worry about saving files, just concentrate on your work!

You can log on from every computer and you can share the files easily! I have the feeling to be more productive with Onshape!

Pros

The fact that Onshape is not file based is its main advantage! You can just start designing parts, assemblies and drawings. You don't have to think about file names, you can rename them later. This helps a lot getting things done quickly. After 2 weeks I still get the feeling "Oh I have created a lot of features, I have to save now!" but in Onshape this is not necessary, it saves every step :-) Also you have a complete history of every change, which is really nice! The rendering and simulation software I use, are both already working with Onshape (much better than my previous CAD software)!

Cons

Some features are missing at the moment, but they are coming in the future. I wished I had Onshape 5 years ago, would have saved me from a lot of headaches.

Awesome! (Extra words couldn't improve on it.)

Fast, efficient, effective design with comprehensive modelling and drawing functionality. It is easy to learn - particularly once you understand the basics. Learning this from scratch might take a few months to get comfortable using the software, after that mostly it is downhill (easy). It is a fast advancing company - barely giving you a chance to get up to date with all the new features, and along come the next set of really great & useful features! Highly recommend it!

Pros

Useability: Ease of use, accessibility, support mostly do their best to listen, understand & IMPLEMENT requests!

Cons

Very rarely there is a "wish that this could be used 'offline'" - but ultimately know that it defeats the purpose of the "Cloud" concept. Otherwise it is just a really young company - & considering all that, they are doing really well!

This is a great browser enable cad package that packs a punch!

Pros

Being a browser-based software enables access on any device with an internet connection. Features are streamlined and efficient. Ability to customize and create custom features. New tools added every couple weeks.

Cons

Internet speed can limit you modeling capabilities. Not a lot of documentation on writing feature scripts for non-coders. Surfacing tools are limited.

Very good, it took a bit of learning, but works well

Pros

can use it between different team members and locations. One place to store and organize files and projects.

Cons

Lacking some standard features. Hope they upgrade soon so it is on a par with desktop systems. Hopefully soon.

Onshape has been invaluable to me, I could not have designed my products without it

It has saved us tons in time and cost, we really use Onshape to "prototype" our design ideas, and very quickly we can see what will work or not. Our product has very small tolerances, and therefore its been invaluable.

Pros

It's powerful, yet easy to use. I explore various ideas and can see right away if they are going to work or not, without huge investment in physical prototypes. It has saved me in our development (we are a startup). It's been very easy to use and I have not had any problems. In fact new features come all the time, making it even better.

Cons

Hi Cory! I'm so happy to hear you've been having such success with Onshape. We appreciate your positive review and are thrilled to hear you've been able to take advantage of some of our differentiators. Please let us know if we can help you with anything!

A true game changer in the CAD Industry!

Mobility!

Pros

OnShape will change the way companies think about CAD in the future, it is truly a mobile solution for CAD and can be run on ANY platform!

Cons

At this point, OnShape is very sensitive to internet speed and quality of connection, the 2D drawing capabilities are improving, however still lacking a few basic features like Auto-Balloon and Partial Section Views.

Took a bit to get used to after switching from Solidworks, but it's getting better all the time.

Made managing CAD software between multiple computers at work and home easier.

Pros

Cloud access so you can use OnShape anywhere with no install necessary. The UI is clean and minimal, and most controls are intuitive. Customer support is quick and helpful.

Cons

Needs good internet connection for best performance. Load times are sometimes long for more complicagted parts/assemblies.

Review of OnShape

Pros

The fact that you get so much functionality in software that is COMPLETELY on the cloud is what we like most. We also like the fact that they are always enhancing the product.

Cons

It’s not really a “con” but I would like the ability to create model based definition models. The ability to add GD&T in 3D would be a big plus. I would also like to see integrated manufacturing and analysis like Fusion360. I know there are 3rd party add-ons but I want a single vendor.

Using fully functional CAD anywhere is the best part of Onshape.

Fully functional CAD at a great price.

Pros

Using it on any device with an internet connection. Having access to all of my models on the go and being able to collaborate with other team members.

Cons

It can still use a few of the more advanced features, but I know they are working on it. Large models on a slow or weak connection can take awhile to load and modify.

The collaboration and file management of the future

File management collaboration and less constraints.

Pros

File management and collaboration of the future! Mates are more efficient. Studio space that allows largely static assemblies to be designed in context without making the mess of SolidWorks is great.

Cons

Very efficent tools, but workflow is a little encumbered by simpler menu options than competition. As the pricing continues to rise, it become hard to justify purchasing licenses to work in parallel with SolidWorks. Please do not remove month by month subscriptions. This is the most compelling cost feature that can enable flexible teams.

Great CAD for the price. Your support guys are great, always friendly and quick to respond.

This CAD is more than I expect, and getting better.

Pros

Doesn't crash, very stable. It is easy to find what I'm looking for. I like how things like measurements are automatically available.

Cons

Some drawing deficiencies. Dual units on a drawing would be good. Also, curved centerlines. The drawings seem to be a bit prone to glitches - a little, not a lot.

Easy to use and powerful CAD

Rapid CAD model development.

Pros

Lots of essential features for professional mechanical CAD. Interface is intuitive and doesn't get in your way. Very easy to learn. Does not require a top of the line computer.

Cons

Internet connection required to use. Missing some surface repair features for dealing with broken imported models. That's it really.

Migrating from Solidworks to Onshape has been a nearly seamless experience.

Pros

The workflow is very familiar to any Solidworks user, but with a lot of the superfluous constraints or other hindrances removed. Designing parts, part families and drawing in Onshape is intuitive, with plenty of resources available to answer questions if you run into stumbling blocks. The stability of the software has been flawless, with minor hiccups being rapidly fixed by the outstanding customer support team. I am advocating Onshape to every design engineer and startup I meet, it is that impressive.

Cons

The fact that it requires a live internet connection is a little bit of a logistical hassle when traveling between clients and working remotely. However, when compared to the issues that a lot of Solidworks users have interfacing with license servers remotely, the portability of the software is still market leading.

I now use OnShape as my primary design software at a startup motorcycle manufacturing company.

Great, inexpensive, and functional design and project management platform.

Pros

Great alternative to more expensive platforms and it is rewarding to be a part of a growing and responsive new software that shakes up the industry.

Cons

OnShape does not have all the functionality of its competitors, but is building more functionality in on a monthly basis.

Hi Richard! Thank you for taking the time to review Onshape. I'm glad to hear you're continuing to have a great experience. Please let me know if I can help with any questions at this point!

Mechanical Engineer

Pros

The functionality of Onshape is easy to use. Onshape has an unbeatable price (premium and free) for the functionality.

Cons

I would like to have analysis tools (FEA, Flow, etc) for a better design application. Without these features (common to SolidWorks) this is a great drafting tool but lacks features as an engineering tool

Hi Michael! Thanks for taking the time to review Onshape. Have you had a chance to check out our App store? We have some partners that might suit your needs. Check it out at appstore.onshape.com and let me know if I can answer any questions!

simplified work flow and documentation management

simplified work flow.

Pros

Intuitive and clean. I feel like I have been using this for years. It has felt that way once I went through the bootcamp program. I feel like I can focus on the design and less on how to complete the task of making the designs. File management is great. Parametric software is a must have and versioning is easy. Most information can be found online from their webinars. Its the only software I want to use. It makes my job easier and more efficent. I finishing my jobs faster equaling better profits, but even more the clients happy.

Cons

in locations with poor internet service you will have some difficulties, but only with large files.

Thanks for your review of Onshape, David. I'm so glad to hear you've been enjoying using the software! As always, please feel free to reach out if there's anything I can help with!

Familiar with many other packages. 1st MCAD user at new company. Pleasantly surprised by the cloud.

Pros

OnShape's features are typically easy, faster, and more intuitive to use than other CAD packages and are supported by very approachable documentation. No worries about versioning, saving, or sharing. Always getting new features means its easier to stay personally up to date with the latest functionality.

Cons

Some key functionality is still lacking (namely advanced sheet metal). It seems to know when I'm trying to show it off and run more slowly.

nice to work with. Not all functionality as I am used to (SolidWorks user)

flexibility and better communication with partners, suppliers and customers.

Pros

flexibility (not only on 1 workstation) possibility to use plug ins when needed (and only pay for plug ins used)

Cons

stil not possible to do all things as needed. It is still software in progress and some functions are still missing.

Hi Frank! Thanks for your review. I'm your Customer Success Manager and I'd love to schedule some time to introduce myself and discuss your functionality feedback in more detail. Do you have some time next week to chat?

super positive, a new take on serious CAD. like a merge of SW and Inventor

resemble price, all data are stored in the cloud and accessible and shareable with every one. great modeling philosophy

Pros

That it is browser based, all data in one place and the new possibilities this gives. That it auto update every 3rd month. That it is open source. That it is super fast to model.

Cons

The graphics is not there yet. The icons are to simulere and difficult to tel apart. Some times you have to look around to find the command you need. More colors might help.

Great for a Beginning Business

Pros

OnShape is an affordable CAD package for a business that is just starting out and has just a few users and is not interacting with many outside vendors or partners. By being accessible in a browser on any machine, it also makes great sense for a mobile and dispersed team.

Cons

At this time, it is not used by enough organizations to be useful once we grow. Many of the features that we will need come standard (albeit for a higher price) on the CAD packages that are more industry standard. And although the cloud-based implementation is great, it can sometimes be frustratingly slow. This would drag down productivity in a larger organization.

Hi Augustus. Thanks for taking the time to review Onshape! I'd love to schedule some time for us to catch up and discuss some of your feedback in more detail. Do you have some time next week to chat?

Seamless transition from using conventional 3D software, very easy to use and great support.

Reduced design time, ease of alteration of manufacturing drawings. Helped tremendously in discussion with clients.

Pros

Ease of use, always up to date, multi-platform. Being self taught in CAD in general, I've found it very easy to get what I need out of the software. And it has improved my ability to discuss designs with clients.

Cons

The dependence on an internet connection can be a hindrance when walking clients through models in locations with poor internet connections like cafes and many corporate "guest wifi" locations.

Hi David! Thanks for taking the time to review Onshape. I'm happy to hear you've enjoyed your experience so far! Please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything I can help with.

Onshape Review

Pros

Onshape is designed by engineers who made SolidWorks so it is almost as powerful and intuitive. The biggest advantage is that Onshape is completely online, and doesn't ​require downloading of bulky software on the local drive. The online aspect allows you to work from any computer, and have your personal workspace​ ready for you, and it makes collaboration very easy.

Cons

No cons so far, I'm loving everything about Onshape.