Onshape Reviews

Onshape

Full-cloud 3D CAD system for design teams

Onshape

Went from free version doing home projects, to using the paid version for a tech startup.

Pros

Cloud-based, which enables access from almost any PC or tablet, collaboration with remote people, and easy sharing of designs for feedback from team.

Cons

The feature set is still being fleshed out, so I occasionally hit something I either can't do, or have to kludge a workaround.

Migrating from Solidworks does pose some challenges and parts do not always import properly

Flexibility and cost effective

Pros

Flexibility and workflow from the platform and the fact that we can have engineers working remotely easily. Great cooperation too.

Cons

So so Solidworks integration as models do not always import properly. Also a lot of the features are harder for Solidworks users to grasp.

Hi Patrick! Thanks for taking the time to review Onshape. I'd love to schedule some time to dive into your feedback a bit deeper. Do you have a chance to catch up early next week?

Onshape Review

I think is one of the best CAD software out there right now. For me, the free version was more than enough based on the complexity of my projects. I really recommended because it doesn't occupy any computer memory!

Pros

Onshape is a great software to use for your CADs! Is simple, straight forward, and have a fast response. You can save all your CADs or simulation online in the cloud. I really like their tutorials. I used this software for my capstone project, and it was the best software I used. This is because it simplicity.

Cons

The downside is that you require internet to use the software since is an online platform. Is not like others CADs software where it is installed in the computer. Therefore, make sure you have internet connection before using the software.

Onshape had helped streamline my business and increase productivity.

Work is way more efficient and effective.

Pros

Work from anywhere on any machine. Never worry about saving again. Versioning is simple. No more confusion as to latest file.

Cons

The whole wold isn't on it yet. Surfacing is getting way better, but still has room for improvement.

Very robust parametric modeling grate features and ease of use

Pros

I like most the fact that I can easily work on a multipart. The modeling tools are really grated. And all of this with the advantages of the cloud

Cons

Drafting still feels limited. Part studio misses draft analysts and collision detection. Text tool is a bit slow

A new age CAD solution

We use Onshape as an alternative to Solidworks. We use it for 2D simple geometry & 3D CAD for our products. We are really happy with the product.

Pros

Clean user interface and versioning feature is cool. Cloud means flexibility, I don’t need to install it on my computer to work and can work from anywhere.

Cons

Speed of the tool is mostly depenedent on the internet as the tool stays on cloud

Fast, convenient, easy, powerful

Cost savings, convenience, ease of use

Pros

Browser accessibility, live collaboration, app integration! Being able to share with customers instantly is also a great perk.

Cons

Having to integrate with so many different third party apps/softwares (animations, mechanism simulation, FEA, etc.) is a bit annoying. Solidworks does it all. I realize this is asking for a lot, but I suppose that's what competition is for.

OnShape is an amazing 3D CAD software.

I've had a great experience using OnShape so far.

Pros

The best aspect about OnShape is that it utilizes cloud services so you can use any computer, tablet or phone as long as it has a browser. It's amazing also because the same design can be worked on by more than 1 person if need be.

Cons

I really have no issues at all with this software. It's even the best of it's kind in my opinion.

The mobility is great, wish you will get the local college to start using Onshape

I am more productive and easy access to a full 3D CAD.

Pros

Cloud solution is the future, mobility & connected. To be able to demo and view the dwg on the spot is excellent. I hardly carry my notebook, especially the issue on safety and snatch theft. The feature is compatible to most 3D cad. The learning curve is low. For start up I pick up quickly. In case of trouble, I find the video tutorial very productive. Too bad I dont have time to join the Webminar....

Cons

lack of peer support therefore the problem solving on difficult topic is rather tough. The pricing, it should use pay per usage instead pay per month. It is not attractive for random user like me. The auto dimension feature need improvement.

Hi SF! Thanks for taking the time to review Onshape. I'm the Director of our Customer Success team and I'd love to connect and introduce you to your Customer Success Manager. If you're having difficulty finding answers to your questions, that team is going to be instrumental in pointing you in the right direction. Let's set up some time to discuss how we can help you!

Unlike other companies who are decades behind, Onshape is proactive and gives you modern cad tools.

Pros

The Onshape team has something most companies do not have. They are willing to improve their software instead of just selling you old tech. - Very Parametric - 10/10 Customer support - Up to date software - It's all in the cloud

Cons

- It's all in the cloud - You need fast and powerful internet - Not much support for organic surfaces and shapes (as of 2017)

Onshape Review

Love it. I use it all the time.

Pros

#1 - Its free to use. #2 - Its the best alternative if you already know SolidWorks. #3 - You don't have to install anything. This Web based CAD designer is super easy to use and runs great in a web browser.

Cons

Some features are lacking / missing. Mostly because its web based. Assemblies are kind of hard to work with as well.

Excellent value, Frequent Updates, Customer Service is second-to-none!

We are now able to not only view files sent from vendors and customers, but also to make quick changes or additions when needed, as well as design parts and workshop aids that increase the efficiency of our manufacturing operation.

Pros

Being 100% cloud-based allows accessibility from anywhere, on any device with no need for high computing power or installation. Combined with amazing collaborative capabilities, this makes Onshape an incredibly powerful tool to create, manage, and share projects.

Cons

The way that Onshape handles versioning, though capable, is rather difficult to get a solid handle on.

Being able to collaboratively create a model between engineers with OnShape is easy

Being able to share assemblies with other engineers and intuitive UI

Pros

Ease of use, especially after using other software previously. The UI elements make it intuitive to be able to create complex models, with tutorials always available if needed. Version control and ease of sharing parts and assemblies between engineers is something I've never had access to with other software. The availability of this feature with OnShape is amazing!

Cons

Large part studios or assemblies slow down the rendering time, dependent on internet availability and GPU of computer. Lack of surfacing techniques isn't needed, but it would be cool. Being able to calculate static forces across a part in an assembly would be great as well.

Streamlined our workflow tremendously

A very streamlined process.

Pros

We use it mainly for importing and analyzing files for quote. The API make it easy to move data from their system to ours. Team projects are really easy with multiple people working on the same file.

Cons

Imports could be quicker. Large .stl files are still hard to deal with. Need a model repair tool for imported geometry.

Already great CAD software and getting better fast.

Pros

My previous experience was with Autodesk Product Design Suite and Vault Professional. Onshape eliminates the file management and IT overhead and brings some new concepts in multibody modeling and version control that greatly increases design efficiency. All for a price considerably less than the competition.

Cons

Very little to dislike. There are some major differences in modeling in Onshape vs Inventor, etc. which take some getting used to. Onshape will require internet connection but this has never been a real issue for me.

OnShape is magic. It's what I always dreamed CAD could be.

No longer tied to any machine; my CAD moves with me everywhere to any machine.

Pros

Runs on any machine, never loses my work, is stupid easy to share, and allows me to modify solid model geometry made in other software.

Cons

Dealing with assemblies or studios with 100+ bodies. It doesn't matter if I computer with a unicorn for a CPU and GPU, OnShape still becomes unbearable slow with full assemblies.

An easy to use, well-crafted CAD experience

Completely removes the common worry that the CAD program will crash and I will lose my work!

Pros

Automatic saving feature that includes version control and the ability to track all changes. I have never had the program crash and compromise my work like EVERY other CAD software has.

Cons

Not really a con but there are many updates happening and sometimes it is hard to keep up. Yet, I am happy to see Onshape continually seeking to improve and listen to customer needs.

Thanks for the great review, Bryce! I'm happy to hear you've been enjoying Onshape so far. If you haven't yet, I'd encourage you to check out the "what's new" page on the Onshape blog. We post with each release and there's a short video of the functionality to help keep you up to date! Hope that helps a bit.

Been a user for over a year and absolutely love it.

Get my projects done more efficiently.

Pros

Easy of use, and since the program is cloud based, I can use it on any platform and not have to worry about losing my work.

Cons

Onshape is good but having used Synchronous Technology I prefer solid edge.

Pros

its easy to use, cloud based makes it easier to use anywhere. Very simple design makes life easier but at times it can be slow.

Cons

Its slow in loading on internet. hard to manage files for one single project.I prefer Synchronous Technology on the Ordered one as its easier and makes it very easy to modify drawings.

Excellent so far, impressed with the speed of development and improvement.

The ability to become mobile and bring modeling with me wherever I go

Pros

The ability to coloborate so effectively, and the ability to have everything pulled from the cloud is amazing.

Cons

It's a little less powerful than some CAD programs at this point, which is quickly changing and I expect will no longer be the case in no time.

The best engineering CAD package available today.

Pros

Accessible to CAD novices, while providing advanced functionality that professionals need. Phenomenally robust architecture. Customer support is responsive and always helpful.

Cons

Surfacing toolset is still limited. Onshape needs to include certain basic toolsets (FEA and rendering) as part of core app. Experience in partner apps inconsistent.

Does everything I've ever needed and is more user-friendly than the competition

Pros

+ Cloud based, I can use it on nearly any PC + Software like workflow + Very quick to go from idea to sketch to part

Cons

- The cost is somewhat expensive - If does not work great if you have a slow internet connection - Documents with multiple sketches and extrusions can become difficult to modify

Eye opening

Organization and flow

Pros

Organization and flow of product iterations is a great feature. Being able to create versions and branch from original design allows for quick concept creation.

Cons

Rendering capabilities rely on 3rd party applications. It would be great to have that function built into the software.

Onshape is a great alternative to the old players in the 3D parametric modeling industry.

Collaboration and the ability to quickly model.

Pros

It is flexible and intuitive, and the collaboration features are very useful. The modeling and sketching is on par with the competition, and the drawing generation is pretty solid. It is very quick and easy to throw together a multibody part and produce a drawing for fabrication.

Cons

The assembly paradigm is different enough that it doesn't always achieve the goals you had planned. If you are used to multibody parts, you will have a better time than if you prefer assembly level modeling . The drawing tools are somewhat lacking, especially in terms of robust bills of material and welding call outs.

Extremely convenient, has most needed functionality

Colaboration, design for manufacture

Pros

Easy to find answers to questions online, or at least can find out if a specific feature exists. Can share documents easily, even if they aren't CAD docs

Cons

Missing functionality compared to similar products, steep learning curve (probably unavoidable), data security concerns from the business model