Onshape Reviews

Onshape

Full-cloud 3D CAD system for design teams

Onshape

A system that makes efficient use of your time during the production cycle, with excellent support.

Pros

Being able to import and use existing data quick and efficiently. Being able to share designs with customers, which enables reviews to be completed over the phone, saving the time of travelling to and from meetings. Being able to share models & assemblies with suppliers, increasing their understanding of what is required, and allowing them to check any areas which are not clear to them in the drawings. Thus reducing the amount time answering drawing queries.

Cons

Having to make separate documents for a project to share information with customers and suppliers, etc. Project information then becomes disjointed. Sub-document, folder, or some other method to keep project information together, but enabling sharing at this level would be easier to trace. Having to duplicate drawings of manufactured library parts in order to share with suppliers.

Hi Daron! Thanks so much for taking the time to review Onshape. I'd love to schedule some time for us to discuss your feedback in more depth. Do you have some time next week to catch up?

Life Changing

Organization and version control of our CAD files. Collaboration and SPEED of DEVELOPMENT

Pros

Constant improvements to the product / capabilities, great communication with users, and excellent service.

Cons

No ITAR support. Performance can still be an issue based on the capability of the machine / graphics card. It limits where my team and I can access the tool.

Hi Todd- Thanks so much for taking the time to review Onshape. We appreciate the feedback and, as always, please feel free to reach out if you need anything else!

Easy to use software. Have the features I need.

Simple 3d cad, can be run on anything as long as you have internett.

Pros

The simplicity. Such as the new color on each new part, makes it much easier to understand the model.

Cons

Cant select sketches inside a solid part for extrusion, have too hide it first. That it cant be used without internet :/

Very good, I love that it accepts almost all CAD formats

compatibility with a huge range of formats

Pros

Cloud based and intuitive. Great UI and easy to pick up quickly. Nice work! Appreciate the speed of uploads too

Cons

Sometimes it takes a long time to digest cad files with certain formats. It would be great if this is more instant.

Great experience!

Pros

The fact to have everything online! being able to access all my project from everywhere. And access all the history of it!

Cons

The price is a bit expensive I think, it would be nice to have a price depending on the number of day use, let say I am using it only 15 days per month, I would pay the pro-rata.

Onshape is the future of CAD. Great parts and assembly modules, Drawing creation has limits.

easier to use than Solidworks, doesn't crash.

Pros

One sketch can just about capture your entire project. One document is like a briefcase with all the information needed to produce your product. Just about any file can be attached, not just an Onshape file.

Cons

No configurations for assemblies or parts. Bom tables to balloons don;t talk to each other. Parts in drawings are not dynamic, you cannot see it's part number by clicking it.

Hi Terry! Thanks so much for taking the time to review Onshape. Your feedback means a great deal to us and helps us plan our future releases, so please keep the suggestions coming. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything!

Excellent. Easy to get up and running. Easy to learn the interface. Powerful unique features.

Completed my product design quickly including many prototyping iterations. I'm a software developer with mechanical CAD experience from 10 years ago. I got up and running quickly without any headaches. I find that Onshape is sharply aligned with software development workflows and mindsets.

Pros

Features Script. Frequent updates. Branch and merge workflow. Browser based to avoid CAD stations. Excellent UI. Intuitive pan, zoom, rotate. All important features are covered.

Cons

Documentation of Feature Script. Missing some features; however, I'm not blocked on anything missing. The feature list in the parts studio could use some work for searching, reordering, and grouping.

Future of CAD

OnShape allows our team to work more efficiently, and save time.

Pros

Cloud benefits such as no file management, version control and the ability to work collaboratively. Pricing is also much better than competitors, and allows us to easily add team members. Forward thinking approach to CAD with many innovations

Cons

Onshape is not as developed as more mature CAD software, such as SolidWorks. Not all features are available yet, however every couple weeks new functionalities are added.

Hi Steven- Thanks so much for your review of Onshape! I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience so far. Please let me know if there's anything I can help with!

I love the capabilities that other CADs are not able to provide.

I was on vacation on an Island and had no access to WIFI, but i was able to review a design and have a conversation about that design all from my phone.

Pros

The ability to work from my phone and talk on it at the same time. How easily it interfaces with other programs.

Cons

The learning curve of a new CAD. I am faster in the other CAD, so I tend to use that one more than Onshape.

Hi Josh! Thanks for taking the time to review Onshape. Have you had a chance to attend any of our trainings yet? You have access to both our live, instructor-led training as well as our self-paced training at learn.onshape.com. Please let me know if you're interested in taking a live training and I'll help you get registered!

Former Solidworks user that uses Onshape for mechanical engineering design.

I have the full (or at least close to full) capabilities of a CAD software like Solidworks except it is online. I can share documents easily and collaborate with other designers in real time. This is a growing software with employees that really listen to customers. I am excited to see how it grows in the future.

Pros

The online capabilities of Onshape are what I like the most. Sharing, multiple users on a document, no crashing, etc. are awesome features!

Cons

Some CAD features are still lacking in Onshape, but they are quickly working on improving it. I also am still adjusting to the mating system that Onshape uses (Mate Connectors), but with time I will adapt to it.

A very good product!

Pros

It is very functional, pretty simple in use an not expensive. Very good for small business, where the product isn't too complicated. Also flexible subscription policy allows you to Dave money.

Cons

Sometimes it hangs up and requires page refresh. However, it happens not too often. Also some "how to" s would be improved to better understsnd

Hi Vadym! Thanks for reviewing Onshape! Very happy to hear you've had a good experience so far. Do you have more detail on what types of "how-to"s would be helpful? We have some technical briefings I can provide for you that may be helpful. Just let me know what you're looking for and I'll point you in the right direction.

Nice to have cloud based CAD, but it's another system to learn

Being able to mock up quick designs. Nothing too crazy or complicated. Just gut checks.

Pros

Cloud based and viewable on mobile are two of the best features since it makes viewing models much easier and communicating them to others much faster.

Cons

Like any CAD system, once you get used to where all the buttons are and what hotkeys exist, it is hard to transition to a new tool. At the end of the day, it's another CAD system and can do most of the same basic things. The new layout slows you down though in the beginning.

Great online tools!

Pros

Onshape is positioned to upend the design and CAD industry. The ease of use is just amazing, log in from any decent computer (i.e. doesn't have to be a workstation) and get to work right away. Instant sharing of models, revision control, and a drafting toolset that matches any of other packages, what's not to like?

Cons

Aggressive marketing/up-selling, even for small business and hobby users. I know that they're working hard to take on legacy players, but it's very strange to get a cold call about upgrading for business use when you're just using a software for a quick project or two (at the beginning).

Good software, getting better, sometimes frustrating

Inexpensive CAD, good collaboration, cloud/web based

Pros

Cloud based, web browser based, many CAD tools and features available, inexpensive compared to other mid range CAD systems, great support, and no admin of CAD software on local machines

Cons

Often works rather differently than other CAD systems or has quirks in the same commands common to other CAD programs. Within Onshape, commands that are common to modifying a solid and a sketch (for example, add a fillet) act quite differently in the two areas. Adapting to these quirks makes it hard to quickly come up to speed and somewhat frustrating.

Overall positive. Efficient and good value at many things, but very slow at complicated assemblies.

Inexpensive and very efficient at generating a large number of related parts. Good collaboration platform.

Pros

Efficient and good value at most things. For example, it is very efficient at building several parts based on limited sketches (which can also be related). Mate connectors are better, when you get used to them.

Cons

I have been working in a very complicated assembly with a large number of features, and it was taking 15 seconds to update even a simple feature. This becomes very expensive, although we may now have a way of mitigating this issue by spreading the features across more part studios.

Onshape is intuitive

More cost-effective than Solidworks

Pros

Onshape allows me access to my files from any computer on the Cloud making saving files a thing of the past. Very good sheet metal functionality. Like the fact that you can generate the folded form from a block. New releases every six weeks or so!

Cons

Some commands have not caught up with other software yet. But Onshape will get there. Would like to see more compatible products such as rendering etc

Hi Simon! Thanks for taking the time to review Onshape. I'm happy to hear you've enjoyed your experience so far! Please don't hesitate to reach out if there's anything I can help with.

Best 3D modeler next to Solidworks

Pros

perfect for beginners to full on professionals, OnShape allows you learn 3D modeling in an extremely forgiving and function filled environment.

Cons

if you're experienced with other software such as SolidWorks you might find some of the abilities of OnShape lacking... That being said the developers for OnShape are constantly pushing through updates with more features.

I moved to Onshape from Solid Edge, I have had endless problems with their licencing and portability

Fredom to work from anywhere and an almost instantanious conversion.

Pros

The concept. This is a great package that has not left me unable to do any of the tasks that I have had. Being able to get up from my desk at work and continue later at home, has reduced my hours at work without affecting my ability to produce.

Cons

Sometimes slow to open a document. Lack of a point to point assembly relationship Would like to write my own BOM to database (not excel) application, but do not have time to learn java. Is these someone on your side that would do it for me (for a fee)

Love working in the cloud, but there are still a few features that I miss.

Great value.

Pros

Working in the cloud across multiple (portable) devices. Project document organization. Training material quality. Support responsiveness. Easy import from other CAD systems. Easy sharing with a link.

Cons

Couldn't find exploded view feature in drawings. Couldn't find part configuration feature. Linked documents are confusing to modify. Miss being able to run offline when my client doesn't have good wifi.

Hi Paul! Thanks for taking the time to review Onshape. I'd love to schedule some time for us to catch up and discuss your feedback in more detail. Do you have some time early next week to chat?

Has the possibility to be the new CAD paradigm like SolidWorks was back in 96 when I left 2D CAD

Pros

Support is responsive, pricing is fine, love the 'pay by the use' subscription format for advanced features seldom used like FEA. Will be a great all around CAD platform for small flexible companies like ours when its fully featured. I'm very interested in seeing what CAD designed without 20 years of baggage will look like when OnShape is mature.

Cons

OnShape is not quite ready for us to use on our bigger projects. Like watching the Matrix movies I'm dying to figure out how they keep 'branches' and the current 'versioning' paradigms and also allow part and assembly configurations that should not require an exact linear history. I really hope they do better than the Matrix movies in closing the loop.

Extremely powerfull and versatile cad tool.

Pros

Easily accessable anywhere with internet connection. Ability to create custom tools is extremely helpfull!

Cons

Some tools are not fully developed or implemented but they are added every update. Surface tools are limited.

New and fun

Able to use this at work or home, or when I'm waiting at the secretary of state no need to download or switch licenses

Pros

The colaboration tools are above the curve. Forget emailing edrawings and setting up conferences with desktop capture. It's all built in! They can even leave comments or directly edit if you let them.

Cons

Missing a few key functions to be a true replacement package. But every 3 weeks they add a bunch of new features.

Cloud based CAD software has simplified our engineering efforts

Pros

Having all of our files in the cloud well laid out and easy to identify has expedited our engineering efforts and made work simpler. In addition, being able to pull up models on any device has proven valuable in several situations. The ease of use of the system is what really initially attracted us to the system and is what has kept us on it.

Cons

Onshape is missing some functionality from systems like Solidworks. This leads to some issues in getting contractors/freelance work done as some engineers feel like they can't do what they need to do.

This is a great product service - easy to learn easy to use - makes designing a pleasure.

Designed and built an awesome engine conversion.

Pros

Easy to learn and always works. Easy to output the designs in suitable formats. I can give access to people who don't own the software - customers, partners etc. Community to answer questions.

Cons

Sometimes I'd like to be able to use it offline e.g. In a plane. The phone version is useful for viewing but pretty limited for design mainly because of screen size.

The personal support I got when evaluating Onshape was very impressive. I was quickly up to speed.

Pros

The continuing support from the webinars for existing and new features is second to none. They are precise and clear. I always have new methods to try after watching one.

Cons

The main problem I have is: No internet = No Onshape A simple method of presenting designs to management teams would be use full. They are not interested of looking at loads of function icons. They only need to see the design.