Onshape Reviews

Onshape

Full-cloud 3D CAD system for design teams

Onshape

The personal support I got when evaluating Onshape was very impressive. I was quickly up to speed.

Pros

The continuing support from the webinars for existing and new features is second to none. They are precise and clear. I always have new methods to try after watching one.

Cons

The main problem I have is: No internet = No Onshape A simple method of presenting designs to management teams would be use full. They are not interested of looking at loads of function icons. They only need to see the design.

Cloud CAD has changed the game for me

Not sure what to say here. I get to do CAD, which is helpful. Onshape is great!

Pros

No install, no monster desktop machine needed, runs on mac, always up to date, no save needed, and no risk of losing work if it crashes... I mean that's awesome!

Cons

since the software is young it just doesn't have all of the tools I need for everything that I could find in a tool that's been around for a decade

Hi Evan! Thanks so much for taking the time to review Onshape. It's great to hear you're having such a good experience. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us on the Customer Success team if we can help you with anything!

A wonderful product, much different and better than the competition. Regular updates are great!

versatility, access to the latest software features, no compatibility issues.

Pros

The regular updates are great! Everyone using the same version of the software is really nice. And being able to use Onshape on multiple devices, not worrying about license codes, yay!

Cons

still working with traditional CAD users is sometimes hard because of the compatibility issues. but hopefully this won't be an issue forever.

Onshape is an ideal CAD platform to learn on, and powerful enough to do most any design project!

accessibility, ease of use.

Pros

Ease of use. UI. Accessibility from many devices and inherently always the latest rev. High rate of development and frequent, automatic, seamless updates. Excellent support team and tutorial videos.

Cons

Great implementation of cloud cad.

Pros

Nothing to install, runs on nearly any platform and can be accessed anywhere online. Also combatible with nearly any cad file type.

Cons

Pricing is too high per month at least for my specific purposes. Although given a larger business context I think the pricing works.

Works well, wish they hadn't done a bate-n-switch on small users

It's still super impressive to me to pull up a model on mobile and show friends/customers how it looks, parts that move. The platform is great, just wish it was a little more generous like at the start.

Pros

Really, REALLY slick web interface and mobile app. Designing parts and mechanisms from any computer, just wow! Quickly sharing, very good version tracking - it's the real deal.

Cons

They started out positioned very nicely for small-time users, 10 private documents, but switched to "public only" free documents at the same time as they aggressively pushed for subscriptions.

This is modern CAD

Pros

This is a modern CAD package benefitting from decades of development without the burden of tons of old code. Very efficient. Very user friendly. Modelling some of the time on a big iPad Pro is something of a revelation - I actually prefer modelling in the sofa now!

Cons

Some useful features that are available in the browser version haven't yet been implemented on mobile.

Great way to design whereever I am.

Ubiquity of access to the platform

Pros

The fact that I can manage my designs whereever I am. Ipad, iphone, computer, etc.. It lets me tweak my designs whenever I have the idea or the fix. I could be standing right next to the object I am working on.

Cons

Money for the level I am using it at. I needed one private design because of NDA, but the rest I don't really need to keep secret. :(

Great for basic mechanical design. Integration of FEA, optical analysis - 3rd party comp improving.

Pros

Simplicity - it is easy to learn with many valuable tutorials; being web based allows great laptop based modeling; Value - it is easy to add users.

Cons

Crashes - almost daily the software hangs, drawings are not easy to generate or customize i.e. inspection symbols/fonts/arrows, learning/using 3rd party apps is not intuitive. Too many emails from Onshape.

Hi Pete! Thanks so much for taking the time to review Onshape. I know you spoke to Jocelyn yesterday morning so please feel free to continue to reach out to her with feedback like this. We're looking forward to continue working together!

Very intuitive software to use, many features, great customer support.

Ability to work remotely from a laptop rather than on a single desktop, ability to share documents between users and non-users.

Pros

The web access is the best feature, but the automatic saving, the branching and versioning, and being able to draw an edge of an existing feature into a new sketch are also very helpful.

Cons

The worst part is that there is no free, easy way to do quality finite element analysis for stress and strain calculations.

Hi Elissa! Thanks for taking the time to review Onshape. We appreciate your feedback. Please let me know if you'd like to discuss further on a call!

OnShape brings a fresh new approach to CAD modeling using the best most modern technology available.

Pros

- Cloud based so it can be shared across people and devices - Behind the scenes constant software updates and improvements - Great customer service and able to provide feedback - Lots of training and learning opportunities

Cons

- Need to be connected to the internet to use, sometimes difficult if traveling or somewhere without connection - File organization could be improved

Hi Jordan! Thanks for taking the time to review Onshape. We appreciate your feedback. There are updates coming to how files are organized so stay tuned! Let me know if you have any questions.

I am happy with the product but it is slow in some instances

Access from multiple devices and a collaborative environment.

Pros

I like the web based solution which makes it very collaborative. The tutorials are also well done and very informative which was a key reason I selected onShape.

Cons

it can be slow at times and it has no offline options. Some of the tutorials are outdated and do not reflect the current options which can make it confusing.

Simple intuitive software. Very easy to draw simple parts. Edit parts, and model in context (ie top down)

Pros

Easy to use. Fast to use. Good from far, but far from good, the software excels at doing simple tasks .Getting better everyday

Cons

Not powerful. Lacking some features, mostly in drawings. Good from far, but far from good, the software excels at doing simple tasks .Getting better everyday

Hi Craig! Thanks for your review. As you know, we're working hard to create additional features and I'm glad to hear you see our product improving with each release. Keep the feedback coming!

Future of CAD programs, with very low entry cost

It is really the first time I've felt excited to use a CAD program, and one that I want to learn in because it will be an industry changer (along with other cloud 3D CAD programs). They also have excellent tutorials videos.

Pros

It's free (public projects). It has built-in version control. It can be used on most computer (cloud-based). It doesn't mean maintaining (new features and updates rollout automatically). And it runs pretty smoothly and intuitively. It is supported by industry experts. There are third-party add-ons.

Cons

Still likely harder to use for those with advanced knowledge in a standalone CAD program. The CAM abilities are third-party, unlike Fusion 360. Probably still lacking some features that older programs have.

Developing at a good speed. Just hoping it can fully replace SolidWorks for drawings and analytics.

I don't know what to say here.

Pros

It aids Colaboration by mutiple people being able to view and work on the same document at the same time.

Cons

Can't do everything we need it to yet. Especially certain aspects of drawings. It would be nice to save screen captures to make hand sketches on them and save them withfile.

Hi Rob. Thanks for taking the time to review Onshape! We have been working on some drawing improvements and will continue to for the foreseeable future. Please let me know if you'd like to discuss your feedback in more depth!

best CAD platform ever...

Pros

Its the Google Docs of CAD. The convenience of being able to get to your model from ANYWHERE is amazing...I often use with GoGo internet on airplanes...in most cased it, works great

Cons

some of the versioning and assembly stuff is complicated and needs to be well understood. I mostly part model ...so I don't spend the time learn the other stuff

Very easy to use and great interface. Intuitive. Some functionalities and features are missing.

Document sharing and easy interface.

Pros

How easy it is to organize the documents. Makes our lives easier to create different projects and share it with the rest of the team. Interface is easy and intuitive, and mating is also more fun and faster than in any other cad I tried.

Cons

Some features like applying different colors to a part, mirroring in assembly, duplicating assemblies, more options inside drawings... I guess it is just a matter of time until it gets to the level of other softwares in the market.

Love the freemium model!

Pros

It's free and in the cloud, making it simple for everyone to have access to it!

Cons

Still very limited in functionality. I trust that it will continue to grow and add more features rapidly over the years though.

I have used Onshape and Solid Works and have such and easier time using onshape.

Pros

Cloud storage and lack of having to install software makes this convenient to access wherever i am. Easy to use and learn had me creating many intricate designs very rapidly. Works great for doing 3d printing.

Cons

On slower connections can take sometime to load up the more intricate drawings . Adding custom tools could be simplified.

Intuitive, sleek, powerful

Able to access models from anywhere.

Pros

I can access my files from any computer: work, school, or home. It is also very intuitive and has good tools that expensive CAD programs have.

Cons

I wish it had more built in capabilities without having to download third party programs. Also, since it's all web based, sometimes files take a minute to open.

Onshape makes CAD easier, faster, more flexible

Pros

I love the ability to log in from any computer, and love the simple clear interface. Customer service is incredibly helpful, always listening to issues and working to improve.

Cons

Still missing some features that would be helpful, but they are being added all the time. I also do manage to crash my browser editing very large models.

Awesome!

being able to quickly bring my ideas to life.

Pros

Intuitive, powerful, simple, cloud based. This software is great for anyone familiar with solidworks or solid edge.

Cons

Sometimes the software can be a little slow due to loading material from the cloud. It would be nice if there were a one time purchase price as opposed to recurring subscription.

I have had nothing but good experiences with Onshape.

The ability to model from anywhere on any computer at any time of day.

Pros

The assemblies are by far the greatest feature of this program. So much easier to use than other competitive products.

Cons

Every once in awhile there are weird errors with geometry but they aren't anything new to cad programs.

Thanks so much for taking the time to review Onshape, Michael. I'm so happy you've had nothing but success with our software. As your Customer Success Manager, I'm here to help with any questions or concerns. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything!

onShape is so easy to learn

Pros

The leaning curve was so fast compared with other 3D modeling programs

Cons

I think It does not have the community benefits of programs such as auto cad and solid works

Onshape the best

Pros

this app surprises me for good, nothing to envy to the other parametric 3d CAD programs, it is excellent, I can make complete designs on the tablet then print them in 3d I am impressed

Cons

This is the best in the world. Quick, well done, there is no complaint.