Onshape Reviews

Onshape

Full-cloud 3D CAD system for design teams

Onshape

Very quick to pick up and simple, and features are being added as I run into the need for them

Pros

Easy to collaborate, easy to pick up and get started. More features are being developed and added. Pretty intuitive.

Cons

Mating parts together in assemblies vs creating multiple parts in one studio can get messy; took me a while to figure out how to arrange and organize pieces

Thanks for taking the time to review Onshape! I'm glad to hear you've had a good experience so far. Please let me know if I can help with anything in regards to how to organize your documents. I'd be happy to schedule some time for us to discuss!

Amazing cad design software

since onshape is cloud based,my clients also can access to those files and i can make the changes real time to fulfill the client satisfaction.

Pros

Onshape is a cloud based cad designing software which gives freedom to work on any hardware platform such as web browser, tablet computer,mobile phone etc.because of this freedom user can do cad drawing by using stylish pen or using touch inputs.This is a great advantage for most of the cad designers because they can comfortably work on their idea to make it a reality.The facility of simultaneous access to the designers in a group work is another huge benefit during the design stage.

Cons

Scince the software is in its early stage some of the tools and functions that can be seen in other advance can design software cannot be seen in this yet.

I am an experienced modeler in Creo and other CAD packages. Picked up Onshape in the past year

Cheap, cloud based, and almost full functioning.

Pros

It is could based. You never have to save, nothing is ever lost. It takes some getting used to if you are coming from another system, but I recommend it to friends all the time.

Cons

The features have been coming pretty quickly, but for me, a lot of the ways I am used to doing things have to be done a different way or occasionally (but less often lately) can't be done. Specifically with surface modeling

Some things are easy while others are incredibly frustrating.

Its cheaper than other more used software with less data storage.

Pros

I like how it is cloud based and I don't have to worry about storing any information. I also like the history tracking application and that it remembers everything I have ever changed and when.

Cons

I loath the the branched versions and how it seems to not like to merge with the original main branch. This leaves most at my company confused over which version is up to date and leaves models very incorrect. I also do not like how the models do not auto update and I do not care for the mating technique onshape has gone with. It is very tough to get a good handle on and leaves most of us frustrated and spending too much time for what should be an easy mates.

Hi Jeremy. I'm the Director of Customer Success here and I want to thank you for taking the time to review Onshape. I'm really interested in diving a bit deeper into your feedback. Jocelyn, your Customer Success Manager, will be reaching out to schedule some time to discuss and see how we can help.

A great upgrade from solidworks.

A better cost and more features than our previous system.

Pros

That I can cad anywhere. It's truly awesome. The tablet and phone interfaces work incredibly well. I'd love to see a VR version. (It'd give me a reason to get a rig at work)

Cons

The lack of folders for features in the part studio. Some of the other features I'd like to see are still not there but the speed of development on the platform is great. I'm sure I'll eventually see them.

Free cloud based CAD that works

Pros

The main limitation with CAD is how expensive it is. Then you have a license that is only good for so long before you need to purchase a new and more expensive license. Onshape is perfect for people looking for a funcational CAD without the prohibitive cost. It will do just about all that the major CAD programs will do. It's cloud based so you don't need a fast computer, just a fast internet connection so you can get to your work from anywhere.

Cons

The program isn't quite as powerful as the mainstream CAD programs out there, but it definitely is the best bang for your buck

Easy to use if you have experience using SW. Simple !

Convenience to use especially import some date from SW or others software. The shearing function is great

Pros

User friendly. Especially version function and sharing function. Is very useful for group design project or sharing with third party

Cons

Some function is not powerful enough such as create drawing new drawing plane on a curve. Support is limited especially in Oceania time zone countries. Support normally match with US Eastern time zone

Very easy to pick up and learn.

Internal team collaboration and ease of use and implementation with other customers.

Pros

Able to access it and design from anywhere, any time or place via computer, tablets and smart phone. Excellent for showing, sharing and designing in real time with customers.

Cons

Nothing to report negatively for now. I would like the 3D sketcher function to be implemented similar to the way it works in Solidworks. We use this alot in our product designs with our induction engine products.

I liked it from the first line a draw.

Pros

Got access to all my construktions around the world without istalling any software. Easy to use. Good return on invest.

Cons

Missing some features especially for pressure vessel design. E.g. wrapping a reinforcement plate around a spherical part. We try to use the interface to adopt our pressure vessel calculation to Onshape. This will anable our customers to use onshape. However, the interface is hard to program.

Great CAD program!

Pros

OnShape's interface is very user-friendly compared to other CAD programs that I've used but similar enough that it feels familiar.

Cons

I haven't hit any major blocks or drawbacks, but there are occasionally features or tools that are limited or missing.

Great for general design work. Has some limitations but see constant improvment

Pros

I like the portability the most. I can work on an view the software on different computers and the th Ipad. I've also really enjoyed using the iPad app.

Cons

I was very unhappy that they moved away from the month to month model. This was one of the most compelling features. I could pay for the month I use it and not pay the ones I don't with out this, it begins to look like a watered down version of Inventor or Solidworks for not much less.

Great free cad software

Pros

I tried on shape because I needed a software what would work whereever I was and from whatever computer I was working on. Great browser based cad software that works just about in any environment. Files are stored in the cloud so they can be accessed from anywhere.

Cons

There is a learning curve when starting with a new cad software. Controls are different then AutoCAD

Decent CAD software that can get you by in a bind.

Easy and convenient CAD software to use when in a bind or do not have access to the high dollar robust software.

Pros

This software is gernerally more straightforward and easier to use then previoud CAD software I have used in the past. It does allow for me to do the maojrity of things I would typically do on my more robust sfotware. Overall great sfotware easy to use and worth the use.

Cons

My biggest complaint is the fact that the software does not have all the features that I would use. However, this is understable as it is a web cased CAD software. Overall not many complaints on this one.

Limited to simple models due to being cloud based

I made about 100 different models and thought it was going to be my tool of choice, but I found I am not a fan of cloud-based services and switched to Fusion 360, which has offline capabilities.

Pros

I liked the original free version, however they ended up changing the service so it's not what it used to me. It was easy to use with many great features you'd expect from a modeling software.

Cons

Incredibly SLOW!!! Always waiting for the servers to catch up with my actions. No offline capabilities so if the network went down, so did my workflow.

Onshape is a great suit of cloud based tools but is pricy as soon as you leave the free tier.

Pros

Onshape is very easy to use. The learning curve balances the suite's power with an intuitive UI that makes using the system a piece of cake for both amateurs and pros. It also offers a free tier to let users test its capabilities.

Cons

That said, the free tier is limited and is followed by a steep monthly price tag if you want to take advantage if more storage space and private designs.

Outstanding

The overall experience was good but i'm sad to not be able anymore to use it due to the high cost

Pros

Onshape is a very powerful online CAD software which include cloud sharing of project files and have all the basic tool you would never need to design anything.

Cons

Sadly it is not free anymore so for hobbies users now it's basically impossible to use it and it's now only for big corporation

Great product that I enjoy, but it's not up to part with some other CAD software yet.

Everything is on the cloud. I have storage freed up on my computer and I can access the software from any machine that has internet and a decent graphics card.

Pros

I like the constant updates. There is no yearly version, and thus no incompatibiltiy issues between yearly versions. I think controls and keyboard shortcuts are very intuitive and easy to learn. Since everything is on the cloud, I don't have to worry when I have to use Onshape on another computer (which happens frequently). Sharing my models with others is very easy.

Cons

Mirroring subassemblies isn't possible. Sometimes my internet connection is not great and thus Onshape begins to fail. I would rather have the traditional approach to CAD of creating parts and putting them together in assemblies.

Onshape, the first cloud cad software.

Onshape is established by a group of engineers who were divided from famous CAD software SolidWorks. So, the Onshape is compatible with Solidworks file format. This means that all the Solidworks file can be editable on Onshape. I use it for my design works and file format conversions. Onshape is a free software for students and non-commercial users. There is no other software which deals with Solidworks file like Onshape.

Pros

You don't have to install it on your computer. Thus you can use it from nearly every device. (Tablets, laptops, PCs)

Cons

Everything depends on the internet. There are some difficulties in case of a low internet speed connection.

really thrilling to use

Easier to sell my ideas

Pros

It's intuitive structure it's clutter free tool pallet. being able to log on anywhere I am. My job is mainly selling our services and experience as a small precision engineering company owner manager. Non engineering people and engineers come to me looking for prototypes and solutions. With onshape I'm able to provide quick models so they can see the solutions come to light. Its the speed of model production combined with a 'design intent base' that provides the solutions.

Cons

That I don't have enough time to use it properly. I would like some form of folder system for customer and folders for specific projects. maybe that's there already but I just haven't got to it

User experience

Good.

Pros

Data are saved in cloud, access to data is possible with a network connection.

Cons

Data security. Exposed to trade secrets and patterns leakage.

The cloud platform is incredible.

Cheap CAD design software

Pros

Cloud platform for collaboration with teammates, sharing, frequent updates, public CAD database, training programs, attention to detail of team and focusing on updates

Cons

Functionality with solid works and other CAD. Has not reached critical mass on users to be industry leader. Would like more public files for download (CAD database)

Great for getting into 3d modelling

Suited my needs at the time

Pros

Ease of use compared with using other products, the low cost of this 3d design solution is ideal for anyone wanting to get into 3d modelling

Cons

Learning a new program always takes time, probably as I have been used to using solid works and Inventor it took a nice while to get used to the commands and certain ways to complete tasks.

Very easy to use, simple conversion from SolidWorks and I love the sharing options

Pros

I love working on the cloud as it allows me to multitask very effectively without massive computing power. I also like the ability to share documents with customers and collaborators effectively.

Cons

There are some fairly common features available in other packages that are still not available in Onshape, but I'm sure they'll be coming soon.

This is is the right way to design a 3D CAD program!

Onshape sped up part design. The workflow is really concise.

Pros

Onshape has all the functionality I need, but the ease of use blows all other CAD programs out of the water.

Cons

Usually anything I find that I dislike is due to something I haven't learned yet, but I don't like that the entire part turns yellow when I click on one of its surfaces to constrain it.

I like the tool, due to the easy access and easy learning tool.

Pros

I only know onshape a cad tool, so I don't have much to compare with. There is a lot available training on YouTube, and invites from Onshape. I like the recording of sessions, for better timing of my lessons.

Cons

I got problems with solid functionality when exporting to step. I have reported the bug, but have not received any feedback