Point of Rental Software Logo

Cloud-based rental store/inventory management software

Point of Rental Software Reviews

Suggested alternatives

booqable
rentman
goodshuffle-pro

I absolutely love this software any time I have questions or need help they help without any issues and are very prompt in getting answers for me.
Point-of-Rental is easy to work with always good for feedback and help great product and integrated into our website.
As a new user of point of rental, i have to say what a nice change from our old system. The day at a glance and ease of use is amazing.
The problem is when you access in test mode you have no clue what you are looking at and you have no guidance from POR until you cut a check.
Don't even consider Point of Rental. The online functionality is absolutely terrible.
To make matters worse, the customer has to navigate back to their email after signing up for an account to confirm their email, and then navigate back to the site.

SM

Scott M.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Long time user

Just dealing with the software that I own, it's great. I've used the software for 25 years so I know how to use it. Only time I need to call support is usually over credit card problems which they must deal with. If I was a user who needed support, it would be a hassle.

Pros

Ease of use. Once you learn how the software works, it's easy to teach others.

Cons

The customer support over the years has took a downward spiral. Only a few years ago, your call was answered and dealt with immediately, now your issued a ticket and most of the time called back, sometimes days after your call. Took over 2 months to get a price on an upgrade that's a ridiculous price.

Scott, we're glad the software's still working well for you and that you're finding it so easy to use and train on! We agree that two months is definitely too long to be waiting for an answer on something as simple as a price. If you ever feel like it's taking too long to get a response, just email us or message us on FB and we'll help escalate or at least let you know what's happening. -Brian

CP

Cody P.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Good software, still buggy

The software has benefited our company greatly. I have no experience with other rental programs so I do not have a reference, but I have been satisfied with POR.

Pros

I like the ability to find items that are not always easily found. I like that there are multiple ways to do things so there is a lot of flexibility.

Cons

There are some big bugs that affect business. Credit card processing, which may not be POR's fault gets messed up constantly which doesn't allow to close for end of day. The support team is always hard to connect to. They are usually very helpful when you do finally connect, but connecting is the challenge. There are several bugs that don't let the correct buttons show up. There are more steps on Elite than on Expert to do the same things. It constantly disconnects from something and has to reconnect. Screens will bounce back and forth from foreground to background. There are plenty more things wrong I cannot think of.

Hey Cody, we're glad the software is benefiting your company and that overall you're satisfied. If you'd like to detail some of those other frustrations, you can email me and I'll have someone reach out to you - we definitely don't want you to have that kind of experience using the software. -Brian

JF

Jimmy F.

Too Many Limitations for Any Serious Business to Consider for Online Bookings

It's one thing to have issues. Software is buggy. It's always evolving. But to have to pay $75/month for the right to call them and get help? Just awful. That would maybe be tolerable if they had a chat option. Nope. Or if they responded to emails swiftly. Nope. If you have a critical issue, you are on your own. Good luck. Your customers pay the price and you lose the business.

Pros

The back end is fine. Not great. It gets the job done, but the interface and UI for online is antiquated. There are so many platforms out there with slick functionality and workflow that they're getting left behind without some SERIOUS upgrades.

Cons

I can't say it all in 1,500 characters. Let's start with customer service. You actually have to pay $75 for phone customer service with most plans. Huh? That means either 1) you're likely to have so many issues that it's worth $75 to get help fixing them, or 2) They don't want to assist their customers unless they can extort an extra $75 for the honor. Absurd. We work with dozens of SaS companies,...

Hey Jimmy, thanks for the feedback. Our support team will be reaching out shortly to help with any issues you're currently having. They'll also be able to show you how to access our support team via chat.

AH

Ashley H.

Retail, 51-200 employees

6 Months on the Job

POR can be very slow and tedious to work with at times, and down right aggravating when File Maintenance decides to stop working in the middle of doing inventory with it. It's not hard to use but there are a lot of areas where steps could be cut down. We currently don't have cloud but are looking into using it, hopefully some of this is fixed with that upgrade to the system. I do know that there are several benefits to making that change that will make inventory much quicker.

Pros

"Items for Vendor" is very helpful once we understood properly how the function works with the min/max order in File Maintenance. The system is fairly simple once you understand how certain features are supposed to function.

Cons

A big part of my job is managing inventory and it is very easy for inventory to be off when it becomes a 4-5 step process to pull items from stock on contracts after receiving from a PO. It would be nice if there were a feature to pull directly after receiving instead of having to open a contract and manually pull items. Its a simple step but can be easily missed when there are a lot of parts coming in for several different contracts.

Hey Ashley, we're glad you're able to find ways to use more of the features available in Point of Rental! I'm not sure which specific processes you're talking about; can you email me and we'll figure out if it's best to contact support (this is something that is resolved by having someone explain how it's supposed to be done) or use uInnovate (this is something that can and should be made easier for you)? Thanks again! =) -Brian

WB

Wendy B.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Best rental software out there

We have been using POR since 1998. Earl came out to set us up and we knew then that this was the best decision for our company. They always make you feel like you are part of their large family. I have had things come up (not necessarily with the software) and would call the support line for help and they are on it. If they don't have an immediate answer, you can know they are working on it immediately to help solve your problem. Great company to work with.

Pros

My first pro is the STAFF - always helpful and never make you feel like you are asking a dumb questions. Second, I love how that the software is user friendly. Third, the software has so much to offer. So whether you are a big firm or a very small firm like myself this software is a must.

Cons

I wish they were a little closer so I could go to conferences and training that they hold. Not that this is there fault - but it is the only Con I can come up with.

Thanks for the kind words, Wendy! Sorry about the location issue - we'd love to have you down for the International Conference. (If you register early then you can save enough on registration that it'll cover some of the travel costs! =D) We appreciate having you and Murray's Tool Rental as part of the Point of Rental family, too. =)

KT

Kyle T.

Innovative and reliable

We could not run our business efficiently without all of the integral products that are included in Point of Rental. All of these products combine to create THE singular solution for our rental business.

Pros

Continuing to innovate and improve the product continually. Always looking to improve the software but specifically with the input and through the lens of the rental operator and end user.

Cons

The only con that I can think of is that there are minimal choices for external integrations.

Thanks for your review and for being a part of the Point of Rental family, Kyle!

MW

Marlene W.

Events Services, 11-50 employees

Best customer service help!!

Point of Rental system offers so many strategic factors. The more you learn the program the better to help strategize the growth of your business. To be able to view by category our largest rental items, items worth replacing or let ones go. To monitor day to day the sales, the losses, the client’s comments has helped us know the direction we want to grow our business.

Pros

We are so grateful for the help being just a phone call away when we come across an unusual situation with our rental order or we make a mistake and they spend the time to fix it for us. Best customer service help desk I’ve ever experienced!

Cons

It takes a while to understand and learn all the layers but with patience and help desk it can be learned.

Marlene, thanks for all the kind words! We're excited about our partnership as well and to keep working with you in the future! -Brian

KS

Kara S.

Events Services, 11-50 employees

Easy to use; incredible customer support

Pros

Point of Rental is constantly seeking feedback and taking ideas on areas to improve which they take very seriously. It has been very rewarding seeing small tweaks made that can really make a difference on the daily for out team and the users. I am in this software every single work day for most of the day and it is extremely easy to navigate as well as train new employees on its use. We particularly love being able to call in and get remote help on questions that are difficult to explain or navigate verbally.

Cons

Every now and then we run into issues where our emails sent out send out blank or as a partial message to the client. We also run into malfunctions or error messages occasionally, but those are usually resolved quickly by running a quick update. Overall, we are very satisfied with this product.

Thanks for the kind words, Kara! We're glad you're enjoying the software and to have you as part of the Point of Rental family!

BW

Bryan W.

Great Program

Overall I like using POR daily. From rentals to purchse orders and account management, all of it is easy to use.

Pros

Ease of use is amazing. I've been in the rental industry for 19 years and have used multiple rental programs and Point of Rental is by far the most efficient and easiest to use.

Cons

I would like an option for equipment to go into a "hold" stage after it is returned instead of goig straight to green for available. This would help with reservations and fleet management.

Hi Bryan! We're glad you love the software. I'm pretty sure there's a way to put equipment in a hold stage when it's returned - you might want to email support for instructions on how to do that (I've just been told that people do it in their businesses). -Brian

JS

John S.

Great Software for Rental Companies

Great software with the best dispatch module by far for any party rental.

Pros

The dispatch module is by far the best I have seen. There is no doubt that POR has the edge on this part above every competitor. This feature alone can save your company a lot of money.

Cons

I feel the customer service has been affected the more and more companies that obtain POR.

Thanks John! We're glad you're enjoying the software and that dispatch is helping you achieve your goals. We've definitely had some challenges with maintaining a consistent customer experience since 2020, but we're investing heavily in our training and customer support teams to get them back to our long-time customers' expectations. -Brian

SJ

Sue J.

Used to love them

Always loved their support staff, quick to respond and most often fixed the issue or could show you how it happened, rarely had to contact them as the system ran pretty smoothly, the updates install themselves so no need to get everyone out of the system for upgrades. In the last year, they have changed so much, and often switch it back, and it no longer works properly, updates have to be done manually, screens have changed, support is non-existent, email and wait a week for a reply, if that. Been working on an issue now since last August, just gets worse instead of fixed and no reason why it is happening.

Pros

Loved the software when I got it, training module is fantastic, ability to learn it easily is great, input is quite simple and usually fixable if you make a mistake, handles multiple locations, does depreciation.

Cons

Resale parts handling, reporting, receiving, pricing, inventory counting.

MS

Mary S.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Customer Support used to be great, now you can't get them on the phone!

In the last 6 months: 1. we can't get anyone to call us back after we leave a message for support - they are always too busy to help us when we call in. 2. we can't get them to help us with new issues - such as scanning a new drivers license (POR blames the scan company, the scan company blames POR). We were sold on your system in large part due to this feature - and now we won't be able to use it! 3. today we got someone who had an attitude that was really not needed on the phone - when I asked to speak with someone else to help us, I had to request this 3x before she would agree to let me speak to someone else.

Pros

Great features for our industry. Used to love the way we could scan in a drivers license or info and photo, but now we don't have that option for the new MN drivers license. Like that the website automatically updates from information we input about our inventory!

Cons

Redundant features - having to click many times to close a contract when it is a simple close with no changes.

Mary, we're sorry to hear we haven't been living up to our standards in your interactions with us. Our team has investigated the issues and we've reached out to explain what's happened and how we're resolving those issues - hopefully you'll be able to return Keith's call. We look forward to working with you to ensure this doesn't happen again, for you or others. We're glad you're a part of the Point of Rental family and thank you for keeping us accountable!

SS

Simon S.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Users experience

Positive experience using the software and simplifies the accounting/bookkeeping process

Pros

Equipment management which includes all the associated consumables.

Cons

when adding new equipment to an open contract the software does not autofill the associated equipment for the new item e.g. A new hire contract for tower scaffolding will autofill the associated components but if an additional tower is added the software does not autofill the components required.There is no feature to invoice cash customers monthly for equipment on hire.

Hey Simon, we're glad you're enjoying the software overall. Can you contact our support team at uksupport@pointofrental.com about the issues you've raised? I think both of these things should be possible with the software, but they'll be able to give you a better answer than I would about how you can do these things. (And if, for some reason, they aren't possible, please submit those ideas in uInnovate; they seem like something the software should do.) -Brian

mr

marty r.

point of rental

I like how POR is set up for everyday use. Especially for searching either equipment or customers.

Pros

The search feature for both looking up Customers and Equipment.They are both easy to find what you are looking for.

Cons

My biggest concern personally with POR is that I don't like how reports are exported into Xcel. They don't transfer smoothly, there is too much excess that is not needed and it takes too long to remove it for the reports to be efficient.

Hey Marty, thanks for the review! We're glad it's set up well for your everyday needs, and I'm letting our product team know about your reports concern - I know I hate having to clean up reports when I have to generate them, too. =) -Brian

MA

Mark A.

Awesome Product

Pros

It is easy to use, and easy to train new personnel on. Once you have the basics of the program down, it pretty easy to dive deeper into the programming and start retrieving all the benefits of POR.

Cons

Personally, the mundane stuff like changing passwords every three months. I understand why but annoying.

Thanks for the review, Mark! We're glad you're enjoying your Point of Rental experience and look forward to continuing to work with you in the future! -Brian

DJ

Douglas J.

POR review

Pros

Ease of training. Ability to monitor asset income

Cons

We need better integration between POR & Bookkeeping. Currently these is no integration between POR & QuickBooks

Hey Douglas, glad you enjoy the software! There's definitely an integration between all of our software products and Quickbooks, although because there are a few different versions of our software and several different versions of Quickbooks, some integrations may work better than others. Can you send me an email (I'm going to include it in a private response) and I will get your information to someone who can help you better than I would be able to? -Brian

ZP

Zack P.

User friendly and intuitive

Pros

The software is very easy to navigate. Very user friendly and constantly updating with new technologies and processes. Integration was simple enough, and rolling out the software to employees was painless. Training went smooth and had very minimal issues with older employees learning the new system.

Cons

Database cleanup after the initial merge was difficult. None of the equipment specs transferred over from old operating system so we had to manually do that.

Thanks, Zack! We're glad you're enjoying Point of Rental and we look forward to working with you and your team for a long time. =)

BE

Brian E.

Best Software I have ever dealt with

After dealing with rental software for 15+ years, we made the change to POR and I can't believe how good they are. I regret not making the switch 10 years earlier. POR is rental specific and they have made our process very seamless. THE best in the industry!!

Pros

Everything!!! Value, ease of operation, reports, functionality, service second to none

Cons

If I have to point our something...They are in Texas and we are in Georgia. So we are operating a couple of hours before they arrive...but they have always had an "early bird" on call to answer the simple technical questions.

Thanks for the kind words, Brian! We're glad to have had you as part of the Point of Rental family for so long and we're excited to continue to work with you and Northeast Georgia Rentals (even if it means we have to come in early =) )!

JC

John C.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Rental software for growing company

good training during implementation, very good phone support, stable platform with good updates

Pros

Continuation Billing process, Day at a glance, Integrated Payment Processing, PO processing

Cons

Paying for optional module that do not work out after 1 month , no refund on balance of year term.

Hi John! We're glad you're enjoying your Point of Rental experience - thank you for the review! -Brian

CS

Cindy S.

Point of Rental Rental Essentials

From 1-10. 10 being amazing...they are a 100 😊

Pros

I came to Point of Rental when my ow EXPENSIVE rental system crashed big time. Without my system, and found out just how poor customer service was with their competitor I was ready to give up. Then we heard of Point of Rental. Apprehensive we moved slowly with lots of hands on before deciding. Best advice I can give, DO IT. Do not wait. Best decision I have ever made.

Cons

I love my Tech Support person, She knows the ins and outs and I am so blessed by her service. I do feel the other Tech support people can take the lead from rep.

Thanks for the kind words, Cindy! We're glad to have you as part of the Point of Rental family. =)

TS

Tim S.

Retail, 51-200 employees

Versatile software

We have already solved alot of our issues using point of rental and looking forward to use the future to updates to help us take it to the next level

Pros

I like how many options there are with the software. I alsonoike the way we can have a say so in new features of the software.

Cons

Dont like inspection/Workforce. They both needs some features to make them a complete app. Sometimes I also feel that you have to click to many windows to go through some of the options.

Thanks for reviewing us and for helping ensure we'll continue to innovate, Tim! We're glad you're with us and we look forward to helping East Tennessee Rent-Alls "take it to the next level" as we add features to our apps based on your (and our other users') feedback.

SG

Sandy G.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

Big Bounce

Awesome!

Pros

The control I have over every aspect of each rental, my products, the pricing, the photos. being able to just change the date of an event for a returning customer, instead of having to put in a whole new order. The time it saves me.

Cons

I want to get rid of stripe, and keep everything with point of rental.

Hey Sandy - we're glad you're having a great time with the software! We'll work on setting you up with a different payment processor - I'm 95% sure this is possible, but let me talk to our payments experts and have them reach out to you. -Brian

EM

Eric M.

feedback

Overall the system works and is a good system for rentals.

Pros

Overall it is a good system. Has some good functions that help.

Cons

Overall Speed, crashes, printing problems that happen daily with no fixes, or solutions.

Hey Eric, we're glad that overall you think Point of Rental is a good system. The crashing and printing problems shouldn't be happening. Can you email me with some more information so I can pass along your contact info to our management team and hopefully we can get you the smooth, easy-to-use experience we pride ourselves on? -Brian

MM

Michael M.

Great System

It has been a valuable addition to our organization.

Pros

It is easy to train employees and easy to manipulate for individual use.

Cons

I would like to understand the fullest potential of the system.

Thanks for the kind words, Michael! If you'd like to really get into every aspect of the software with our team, we'd love to have you at our International Conference in November! You can register at conference.point-of-rental.com. =) It's three days of time spent on courses covering each module and processes, with one-on-one time to address your specific questions. (And of course there's lots of time to network with fellow rental experts and the rest of our staff).

Christina P.

Events Services, 51-200 employees

Great experience, always something new to learn.

Staying on the forefront of technology, we are able to stay ahead of our competitors and provide our customers with professional services. The enhanced technologies allows us to better track our inventory and communicate easier in and around the organization. This software is the lifeline of our business.

Pros

I love how the company is continuously updating their programs and new technology is always being introduced to us consumers.

Cons

There is an additional cost to every facet of the system, but in the long run well worth the investment.

Thanks for your feedback, Christina! We're glad to have you as part of the POR family!