All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Solid Edge Reviews

Reviews Summary

Pros

As an design engineering undergraduate, Solid Edge is the best designing software for part designings and the assemblies.

Tharaka D.

Read the full review
Having the choice between direct modeling and ordered is perfect.

John T. W.

Read the full review
The software is great at importing and exporting other CAD formats.

Peter B.

Read the full review

Cons

The user interface of this software is bit messy which makes its user to get bored soon. The software is very confusing to learn and operate.

Vaibhav C.

4.1

Simple to use and robust CAD

Pros

Having the choice between direct modeling and ordered is perfect. This is a robust CAD tool with many built-in advantages with their standard license such as: FEA, data management, reverse engineering, generative design and advanced rendering with KeyShot

Cons

Eventually, I would love this program to be in the cloud. I think that's where it's all going in the future.

A good mechanical design software tool with 3D Modelling and assembly.

A PLM software where a user can build an accurate CAD models.

Pros

The User is allowed to do geometry constraint while sketching. The measurement standard can be selected before creation of the sketch. Recording option is helpful to make a video of the workspace. 3D drawing is easily done. 3D model drafting into 2D sheets are done easily with all detailed views. Intelligence in selection of line is helpful when there is difficult in selection of line in sketch.

Cons

We need to purchase the software from a reseller. Customer support need to improve problem-solving skill. The software doesn't run smoothly in a low configured workstation. User interface need to be improved. The software should not proceed for next design steps if there is error in sketching.

Solid Edge ST3 Review

Just being honest with ST3 version, there was just to many bugs. It can’t process to many features or large assemblies. This caused so much lagging. I once waited 10 minutes just to turn a DFT file into a pdf because I wanted color. I shouldn’t have to choose between color and time. Just my opinion. I wouldn’t be to proud of using this software year.

Pros

Okay so just to say, this is for the ST3 Version I used to had. Not the new up to date version I now have, ST9. ST3’s strong point was definitely it’s ability to help our manufacturing shop with sheet metal work. I could make a complicated sheet metal part with good accuracy. With sheet metal factors are always causing problems, this software excells in that area.

Cons

Okay so, when I used the software, the thing that absolutely really bugged me the worst when I was creating an assembly in the “ordered environment” all my features and assembles were based off my parent sketch. As you know, things changed in designs. Well when I change/update my sketch, my assembly would either not change with it, or more commonly, it would just blow up. This would cause me to seriously have to update it manually, hours of work. This happened with large assemblies. (12 or more parts)

Great CAD software

I can quickly provide customer solutions, with great quality 2D drawings, 3D models, Video fly-throughs, machine animations, stress and displacement analysis and reverse engineering. This software is critical to my business.

Pros

Solid Edge delivers great results quickly and design changes are very simple. The user interface is simple and clean and you do not need to sort through a hundred buttons to find the function you need. The software is great at importing and exporting other CAD formats. The drawing options are very good and quality drafts are produced in very little time. The software is more powerful and stable than some other brands and the support staff in Australia is fantastic.

Cons

The software installation and updates are a big drama and require technical assistance every time. When a new version comes out I need to allow at least a day before I will be operating again.

Useful 3D designing software for basic designing

As a freelancer I have used Solid edge for sheet metal designing and the features are very impressive and helpful. It allowed me to design any given model in no time. Recommended for designs with less designing and simple sheet metal designs.

Pros

1. Easy to learn 2. Designer with basic designing knowledge can grasp the features of software quickly 3. Assembly of CAD models is easier and convenient as compared to other softwares 4. Very fast software which helps in quicker designing of models.

Cons

1.3D to 2D converter is moderate with few features missing in comparison with other softwares of this caliber. 2.Supported file formats are also no great in comparison with other softwares 3. User interface with menus are a little too cramped up and completely user friendly

Great starter CAD program

It was my first step into CAD, and while it was tough to do anything at first, I came away from it with the ability to make all sorts of ideas come to life on my screen. This is a good tool for anyone who needs to get into CAD.

Pros

You can create custom parts in solid edge and have them made and shipped to you with all sorts of different materials to choose from. If you know what you are doing, you can design things of incredible complexity by stringing together part files.

Cons

There is definitely a learning curve, as with any CAD program, and it is going to take time for a beginner to learn how to manipulate things the way that they want to. For example, it took me a long time to figure out how to make a wire that corkscrews around a curved line, and none of my teachers knew how to so I ended up getting somewhere close to what I wanted after watching countless videos on it.

Solid Edge

Very useful for making 3d parts for another distributions in Engineering.

Pros

Very useful and good for engineers. Making 2d and 3d drawings.

Cons

Sometimes few bugs with saving drawing (2d) on pdf.

Design your ideas in minutes!

Excellent.

Pros

The ease of use of designing from scratch and ending up with a fully featured mechanical CAD design in a span of some clicks.. Definitely one of the best Engineering CAD softwares out in the market. Oh and, it is free to use for students and teachers!

Cons

Finite Element Analysis (FEA) or stress simulation cannot be done in this software. Would have been ideal if these features were also integrated as an option after designing the parts to test in real-time if it it would sustain the external forces in real-life.

Friendly and useful software

Pros

Friendly and easy to use for beginners. It has many tools for desing, drawing and somes for modeling.

Cons

I think this software can be used by beginners and not by professional engineers or designers.

Makes your modelling work easier

This software allows you to create nice designs only when you know how to operate this software which is not at all an easy task.

Pros

Once you are well aware how to operate this software then you can put all your imaginations into this. This software allows you to create beautiful models and designs.

A Good 3D Design Tool

Pros

It has a user friendly interface that doesn't harm your eyes.

Cons

Some command buttons can't be find easily, you have to dig into to find the hidden buttons

Amazing software. A must try one!!

Pros

The ease of access is the most beautiful feature about this software.

Cons

Sometimes it gets some bugs or something. Some tools are not working as per the descriptions.

It's all about designing

I strongly recommend this software for the mechanical design engineering undergraduates and the professionals.

Pros

Cons

It's bit confusing for the fresh users to identify the commands for the first time. There are very few video tutorials available for this software.

A well Advanced solid modeling software

The experience with Solid edge was very at a level of complete satisfaction. Once I got familiarised with this it was very easy to do whatever I want.

Pros

The designing capasity of this software is incredible. The ability to do modifications even afterthe complete 3D model is a really plus point of Solid Edge. Solid Edge is the most suitable software go complete a task at the professional industrial level.

Cons

As a beginner it was little bit hard to go with but still it was manageble for me. At some times I wander here and there searching for some command buttons; familiarising was not much easy to me.

Not bad once you get used to it...

We have since switched to alternative software that was more intuitive to use, this is I feel the main drawback of Solid Edge and the only reason we switched.

Pros

The program offers many of the features you would expect and want from a 3D modelling package, models of some complexity can be constructed and assemblies created to give an overview of a project or design before having to physically create it.

Cons

Solid Edge is far from the most intuitive software to learn and takes some time to get to grips with, not ideal for CAD beginners.

Dear Mr. Howell, Thank you for reviewing our software! Your opinion is very important to us. We would be glad if you could specify the features/functionalities you found unintuitive, so we could forward your feedback to our development team. Best, Solid Edge Team

Solid Edge Review

Pros

As for my experience with solid edge over 6 months, I have found this software was easy to use for drawing 3D models. I have seen this software during the early age of its development and I am very sure now it has been improved lot better with additional features

Cons

May be need extra training to know the features

Easier PLM integrated Mechanical software

Pros

Change process can easily linked with PLM by using this Solid edge tool

Cons

Features can be improved more for user interface

very inclosed software

not good

Pros

i usually use solidworks for 3d design .. but when i needed to learn cnc the instractor advised to use solid edge ..

Cons

actually i didn't like it in the 3d design... when i tried it i felt like iam on 1990 or something .. i didn't like it at all

Select your country

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.