The Magazine Manager Reviews

Pros

Wonderful, always helpful and helps me make the sells I need to take care of our business.

Harlena W.

We have had a great experience with The Magazine Manager. And its always improving and offering us newer and better options to conduct our business.

Margi C.

The customer support is excellent and the software is pretty easy to navigate and is very helpful.

susan w.

Cons

Also, there appears to be a problem with billing contacts where you can only select one and it is difficult to remove old billing contacts... perhaps a feature to disable old contacts.

Charles B.

I find it much more difficult that my previous database to work with when it comes to cancelling converted proposals.

Linda G.

Dean M.

Being a Small Business Owner Using The Magazine Manager

Transcript

Felicia: My name is Felicia, and I am an Editorial Director in health and wellness media, and I give...

Magman

We have had a great experience with The Magazine Manager..and its always improving and offering us newer and better options to conduct our business.

Pros

Wonderful system that seamlessly pulls all aspects of a growing business in one complete package. From sales to creative to customer to billing-this system is pulls it all together. I especially appreciate the emphasis on inter-department communications options. I am amazed the ease of adding new product lines to the system. The phone app has been wonderful for the account reps as well.

Cons

I believe the integration of this system was fairly smooth. There was a bit of a learning curve on both sides but the exceptional customer service portion of Magman is second to none.

Thank you for the great review, Margi! We appreciate you.

Best CRM tool out there!

My experience has been insightful, engaging, and successful. I sing your praises to other like businesses whenever I get the chance.

Pros

There are so many features and benefits to this tool I am not sure where to start. Well, let's start with the level of customer service your team provides, in terms of knowledge, timely feedback, and incredible listening skills to the point of making platform changes in real-time. The sales reps are typically knee-deep in their CRM and I appreciate the insight of fellow reps sharing input on how to evolve this tool to ensure their success. I have used at least 10 different CRMs over the course of my career and have used both MM and NM- This is by far the BEST CRM out there!

Cons

The templates are still wonky and not as flexible as I would like in terms of changing layouts and having standard information feed into each proposal, as opposed to having to fill them in each time. Too time-consuming.

Thanks for the awesome review, Deborah! We appreciate you!

The Good, Bad & the Ugly

Pros

The positive using this software is it is easy to see Accounts payable send invoices if needed.

Cons

It is not user friendly. I find this software very difficult and cumbersome to manipulate.

Thanks for your review, Linda. We appreciate your feedback about the user experience on our software. We will forward your comments to our development team to better The Magazine Manager.

Marketing Software That Works

Overall it has been a good experience. Changes to the invoicing and payment system have been helpful. Really looking forward to the Google integration.

Pros

With anything, there is a learning curve and it is the same with Magazine Manager. Once you have the features all figured out then things start to progress quickly. With the Client contact lists grading them is helpful so that you are getting to the Hottest clients first then working your way through the list. The mobile version is critical when out on the road.

Cons

My frustration comes when there is an agency involved with the account. The company contact comes up but then you have to remember that the agency is the one to contact and have to transfer out. Then when you capture an email to the agency to have put in the no0tes, it goes to all of the accounts that the agency is linked to and can create confusion. ie: Alex approved the Jan Issue Full Page for $6200. And the email ends up in several different accounts to Trinity Trailer, Nachurs Chemical company, and DoFine Irrigation.

Thank you for the kind review, Kevin! We will forward your feedback to the development team. We appreciate you!

Perfect for a small newspaper preparing to expand

We are picking up a paper whose subscription rate had fallen, but has the potential to increase both locally and, with current media projects, nationally. So we wanted to be ready when this occurred. The training and problem solving with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and others was great. If [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] needed an expert, she immediately sent a message to that person and they were able...

Pros

We needed software that could track and invoice advertising in two different publications, yet with the same contact list. Once the agents helped us set up our letters and rate cards, it was great. When we became new owners, there were no contracts being used. Now we can create a proposal and with a touch of a button, it can become a contract and then an invoice when it is time to bill. The portal for paying with credit cards is great. It also helps us keep track of agency billing, legal ads, and the dreaded classified ad. We like that it sends transactions to Quickbooks when we are ready in order to help us keep everything moving smoothly.

Cons

We are also using the circulation feature. It is currently being upgraded. I hope the future upgrade allows us to automatically send renewal notices via email with a portal for customers to pay, however, with accurate emails, we can send a csv file of the subscription notices to Mail Chimp. We set up the Newspaper Manager software using Authorize.net, but when were setting up the circulation manager, it was discovered that Authorize.net doesn't work with adding a source code to our website for online subscriptions. That was frustrating as it took about six weeks to get Authorize.net on board. I hope that is fixed and incorporated.

Thanks for the nice review, Gretchen! In regards to the circulation feature, we confirmed with our developers that the new subscription module will be able to accept payments from all of our gateways. We're planning to beta test this feature next year. You can also reach out to your software consultant for more information. They'll be happy to help!

This software changed our lives at work!

Pros

Magazine Manager is specifically designed for those of us in the print and digital publishing industry and it is crucial to our sales success. It is extremely easy to learn and apply immediately. With this software, we are able to quickly and easily pull targeted email lists to generate sales, electronically invoice clients in literally minutes, take payments, and with a click of a button know what...

Cons

There is coordination with accounting required to set this up, but the accounting team also loves the software. It is important to visualize your publishing organization and the hierarchy of products and business units in order to structure the software best for you, but once you determine that, it is easy to set it up the way you need.

Thank you for the incredible review, Lisa! We greatly appreciate you.

Magazine Manager is a must!

During the pandemic, Magazine Manager offered six months at no charge to kick the tires on some of the new updates and modules. The tech staff are awesome to work with and have been a huge help to get the most from the Magazine Manager software. I wish this would become permanent part of the money service.

Pros

The Magazine Manager is tailored to our industry and they are always looking for ways to get more from the data so I can make informed decisions on the progress of our publications. With the CRM, billing, and production modules everyone uses the same software making it much easier for everyone to do their job.

Cons

With any software updates, the changes sometimes get confusing, and takes time to change the way you do things. Since they love making their products more valuable, the updates sometimes can be overwhelming at first.

Thanks for the incredible review, Dean! We appreciate you. Please let your software consultant know if we can provide more assistance with our updates. We're always happy to help!

Versatile and Well Rounded Software

Pros

Magazine Manager is a solid well rounded product that does absolutely everything we need to publish all our products. The reporting as well as the accounting is simple and easy. Customer service is top notch. It was easy to deploy and the team at Magazine Manager is incredibly knowledgeable. Magazine Manager easily integrates to further facilitate its value. It is also easy to customize for any needs.

Cons

We found no cons only plusses from initial sale through implementation to user experience.

Thanks for the great review! We appreciate you.

Magazine Manager makes my life easier

Magazine Manager has made my life so much easier for A/R.

Pros

The integration with Quickbooks. I handle all of the Invoicing and A/R. I love that invoices are created from Contracts. I used to have to enter every invoice in Quickbooks for our customers. I also love how it keeps all of the client information in one place. We used to use Excel spreadsheets that were constantly being updated and printed to many pages for review. It was not accurate.

Cons

The subscriptions. We just had someone enter three subscriptions through our website linked to Magazine Manager and I couldn't delete the two duplicates. It's also a little time consuming to have to void an invoice and change the contract for any pricing. I do understand the logic because it's a layering system.

Thanks for the nice review, Jane! We'll send your feedback to our development team.

You won't regret it!

I have been very satisfied w/ Magazine Manager; the program, reaching and tracking support has improved immensely; training availability and said category for training can be suited for individual needs.

Pros

They are making it so you can have one program that does the job of many. It's my CRM, it's my task manager, it handles my email marketing, keeps me informed of my team's progress; helps w/ me a/r; which has saved our company time and money in getting rid of programs no longer needed, reaching a larger client base and in staying on top of our collections. They offer regular training not just on their crm but sales trainings by their team as well as outsiders, like [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. They are constantly improving their system;

Cons

That I can't make groups on the fly; that invoices can't reference an ad name; that we can't track when a client open's an email. however, when I come up with these instances these can either provide me with a work around or they are in the midst of solving that issue.

Thanks for the nice review, Kimberly! We appreciate your feedback and will forward to our development team.

Learn it and you'll love it

As a multi-product publishing company we've experienced a great deal of improvement and efficiency in our day-to-day operations thanks to The Magazine Manager. Although the up-front time and effort to learn and set up the software can feel overwhelming, it's ultimately worth it--which is why we've been such loyal customers for 5+ years. Once everything on the back end of the software is up and running, you'll be glad you chose The Magazine Manager. Gone are the days of handwritten paper tickets and missing customer information. Our sales staff, accounting staff, HR and production all utilize the software on a daily basis and it's become a staple of our company.

Pros

Convenient cloud-based program which allows access to all ad sales, contacts and production notes from any computer device with internet access. It's a central hub for sales, accounts receivable, production and even Human Resources, making it a very convenient tool in your publisher's toolbox. They also have an app for smartphones--though the app is somewhat limited in only allowing data to be viewed, not changed. They've stepped up their customer service in the last year and it's been great! They also have a fantastic database of instructional videos on how to use the software - topics are wide ranging and thorough.

Cons

The software requires a great deal of training and education to use in order to reap the full benefit. This is not a software for the easily distracted or completely tech illiterate. Nor should you expect to simply "hit the ground running" once you have an account. Plan for lots of training, which they'll do for you. In fact, they generally wont allow you to begin using the software without a minimum...

Great tool for those who are willing to learn to use it.

As a publishing company, it is assumed that you have 2 basic kinds of products: Print & Digital. We have a 3rd - Shows. We just put it under print, but its short sighted that there are only those 2 basic types of products. Also - We have Co-op dealer ads that we had to come up with our own solution to figure out how to do the insertions & how to bill. This is not a new thing. There should be a...

Pros

I love that you can easily keep track of all the ways you contact a client & don't have to copy & paste emails into comments. I also love the simplification of the process of getting ads in & processed. I also love that I can access it anywhere.

Cons

Because of the way we track some things, we have had to create a lot of custom reports. The reports are a little clunky in the printing process, both our custom reports & the built in reports. Its absurd to me that there's not a button (that I've found) you can click that totals the report at the bottom. The "print with totals" button that is in the built in reports includes totals from EVERYTHING....

Magazine Manager is the Industry's Gold Standard

There's no better software out there for the money. We all love Magazine Manager.

Pros

For our industry, Magazine Manager understands our needs and its functionality encompasses every circumstance. It's one piece of software that is as robust as we need it to be, yet user friendly enough that onboarding new employees takes a brief introduction. It is intuitive for the user. We can format all the products we sell whether they be various magazine titles/issues; event sponsorships, or...

Cons

I believe there is a component that we do not have currently that helps with marketing to your client base to make that easier for the sales team (as in mass emails, etc.). We use work-arounds, but it could be easier.

Thanks for the great review, Sheila! Mirabel's Marketing Manager is a full-suite marketing automation software and CRM. Using Mirabel's Marketing Manager, you can perform email marketing, workflows, and much more. Let us know if you're interested in learning more!

Reliabilty

I used the word reliable because that is what Magazine Manager is! I don't even think about the software I am using, it is part of my workday...I don't give it a second thought. I know what it is to work with a company that has systems problems and that is a nightmare. All around good experience

Pros

The software is very reliable. Keeps me organized. The format is easy to read. If there is ever a problem, they are very attentive to our needs. They are continuously updating their software to stay on top of the needs of their clients. They send you notices that the update has occurred and a tutorial on how it works. They invest in their clients by offering tutorials to their users and offer seminars from an outside consultant to help improve sales goals. Overall, it is a very good system. We have work with other companies and I think this one works.

Cons

I wish there was a reminder that I put together a Proposal and didn't click it over to a Contract. I forget sometimes and would like to be notified in some way or I am not familiar with how to identify that I haven't switched it over.

Thanks for the nice review, Barbara! In regards to proposals and contracts, you can use the My Proposals list on your dashboard to access proposals that haven't been converted to a contract yet. Select your name in the dropdown as the rep and choose "no" in the "proposals converted to contracts" field or search by date range. Feel free to reach out to your software consultant for help on this as well! They'd be happy to help.

No Solution on the Market Better than MagMan

***BE WARY*** MagHub and other competitors say they do things like or better than MagMan. But THEY DO NOT. Lots of promises made with NOTHING delivered. MagMan is the REAL DEAL. Save yourself time and money and get this software. You'll never regret it! We've been with MagMan for over 8 years and this product just get better and better and better every time I log in. It's absolutely UNDER-priced for the value of features and efficiencies!

Pros

I love the comprehensive solution that this software offers my operational needs in all my core departments, Sales, Accounting and Production. With all the integrations, my teams do their parts of their jobs in the software and MagMan. This creates transparency which improves my efficiencies all around. This software provides tools that allow me to do what I'd be doing anyway, ANOTHER way, more expensively. Their latest feature released, the ability to email digital tear sheets, just SAVED ME over $9,000 a year by not having to buy stamps, envelopes, paper, toner for my printer and pay a staff member to sit there stuffing envelopes with invoices and tear sheets. Thank you MIRABEL!!! :-)

Cons

In the spirit of full transparency, I must say that I'm surprised they haven't built in the ability to automatically apply later fees to open invoices. I still have to apply late fees account by account. But I understand this is a top priority for development in 2019! Yes, I am excited!

Magazine Manager is the "HUB" for TOPS Magazine

Overall, has been very positive. I find my rep and others at Magazine Manager to be very responsive and helpful. The Magazine Manager keeps updating its software to make it more user-friendly. TOPS is very satisfied with the Magazine Manager, and I credit them for helping our company grow. We look very professional to our clients.

Pros

The Magazine Manager is truly the centralized go-to source for our company. Our salespeople depend on it several times a day to check contacts, orders, e-signatures, accounts receivables, leads, production reports, and reminders. The features are pretty robust but not overwhelming like some software. Like any software, adoption is the key. If you need a report, chances are you can find it. I wish we had started using Magazine Manager years before we did. Support and service have been top-notch.

Cons

Would like to see a better way to make proposals and presentations roll up into monthly budgets for print and digital. Also, would like to see goal tracking on a 12 month basis.

Hi, Keith! Thanks for the great review! For goal tracking, please ask your software consultant about turning on the Kibana Dashboards. This feature offers many ways to track goals. In regards to the proposals, when you contact your software consultant, ask about ways to group proposals. They'll help you find the solution that fits best to your needs.

Magazine Manager -- The Gold Standard In Magazine Publishing Management Software

I've been involved in magazine ad sales for over 25 years. We've used several different software systems during that time, but none of them handled all the functions required by our business. MM is clearly the best magazine publishing software we've used and the first to fully integrate all the necessary components into one seamless package.

Pros

There's a relatively short learning curve, but just having all the relevant info on a client or prospect at your fingertips is what I like the most, followed by the search and filtering capabilities that make it easy to drill down into the data and analyze it in so many different ways.

Cons

A minor quibble -- sometimes we are unable to delete an advertiser or agency record.

Thanks for the great review, Bruce! We'll forward your feedback to the development team. We appreciate it!

Great CRM system for magazine and digital website publishers

Pros

Very useful in sales for CRM and for inventory management of digital ad inventory.

Cons

Email marketing for sales could be improved so that sales can manage their own monthly email sends to clients based on a product category. Training is nice but could be more consistent. I wish we could have links to each ad creative within the line item of each placement to refer to. My previous software has this.

Thanks for the kind review, Kim! In regards to the email marketing, reps can add their own Mailchimp API key to track individual opens, bounces, and clicks. Even if your site is set up without the Mailchimp integration, you can send email campaigns as an individual rep. Depending on your support plan, users get between 4 to 12 hours of free training annually. Our help site also has hundreds of videos and courses specific to job functions. Lastly, in regards to the links to individual ad creatives, there's a link to the job jacket on the order screen. The green arrow next to each ad line item will take you into the job jacket. If you need more information, your software consultant is always happy to assist you. We hope this helps!

Being a Small Business Owner Using The Magazine Manager

Overall, I've found the support team at The Magazine Manager to be helpful. I think the search functions within the program are easy to use. And the variety of tasks The Magazine Manager can be helpful with have been proven to be beneficial as a small business owner to running our publication business.

Pros

One of the things that is helpful about The Magazine Manager is the comprehensive ability to keep customer and client records and to invoice people directly through the program. On a daily basis, I utilize the search functions and functionality. Through Magazine Manager, I find it helpful to use functions such as sales reports, the A/R Aging Summary, and other features. I also find it helpful to be able to have multiple members of our team adding information to client records and to keep up to date with communicating with our clients through the database.

Cons

It took me some time to get up to speed with how to use the various functions and to become more familiar with the program. So I was definitely on the learning curve. The more I've used the software, the more comfortable I've become. On another note, if we have staff changeovers, the only time we can take someone off the program is before or on the first of the month. The per user fee is not prorated if someone leaves the team mid-month.

Thanks for the incredible review, Felicia! We appreciate you so much.

Magazine publisher's review of Mag Man

Pros

Transitioning our legacy CRM to MagMan was incredibly easier and more streamlined than I expected it to be. Capturing key data and ensuring accuracy was critical and MagMan excelled. In addition, elements of the software have improved on the speed of many of our processes, such as e-signature for contracts, artwork reminders and e-invoicing with digital tearsheets. We have saved a ton of time and money with MagMan.

Cons

Some of the reports are still a bit clunky, for example pulling an expiring report over a specific date range versus by product/issue. But MagMan is very receptive to software improvements.

Thanks for the kind review, Ivy! In regards to reports, you can run the contract expirations report and search by month or by product and issue. This report is found under Reports then Sales then Contract Expirations. You can also use Advanced Search.

We came back to the best

Excellent. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has done an exemplary job keeping us informed and helping us out with one-on-one training.

Pros

We used MM for a few years, switched to another provider (price and supposed options) and then came back. What we thought we were getting from the other provider was no where close to MM. In the short time we were away, MM added many of the features that we really found important. I will never switch again. They are the dominant player in this market.

Cons

Nothing really. They are very responsive to our needs and if we aren't using something it's because we haven't taken the time to learn it.

Thanks for the incredible review, Chris! We appreciate you.

Very good product

I can set my own sales goals based on previous year's figures. I can compare issue-to-issue sales for any product we sell to determine who's missing and who to contact. It's super easy to total any run of product and easy to use Mirabel reports to help generate and check commission reports. Notes and call reminders for all accounts allow me to be more diligent with my customers. We've been on this product since 2014 and I'd never go back to our former method.

Pros

Ease of scheduling - I can schedule an account by the week or for a whole year at once; variety of reports that track and compare sales revenue, issue-to-issue sales. I use the export feature to show an account exactly what/when their ran ads, and what their yearly expenditure is. It's easy to check yourself and easy to fix mistakes. Less things drop through the cracks.

Cons

There's no way to select multiple orders to reschedule them in one action. Once an order has run it cannot be deleted or moved. Only some of the form fields in various parts of the software are intuitive and self-completing - scrolling slows me down! With multiple users at our location, it's easy to create duplicate accounts that are hard to delete or merge to existing accounts.

Thanks for the nice review, Sunny! We appreciate your feedback on change orders and will forward it to our development team.

The best contact management CRM i have experienced!

Pros

Its easy to use and they are constantly updating and making it even better. Once you learn all the different features it saves a lot of time.

Cons

It would be great to be able to capture all email communication with clients and have them copied into notes or calls.

Thanks for the nice review, Mark! In regards to the email communication, you're in luck! With email capture ID, each of your users has a unique email address that can be used to capture all communication with your clients. The email capture ID is located in the user account and must be copied into the BCC field of emails to the client. For more information, please reach out to your software consultant. You can also utilize this video tutorial on our help site: https://help.mirabeltechnologies.com/video-tutorial/email-capture-blind-copy-function. Hope this helps!

MM Review from Cahaba Media Sales Department

Over all it is very good. I would like a faster turn-a-round when I do a ticket, but doesn't everyone want things NOW.

Pros

I do like that we have hours of free training or assistance. The ease of using the system is very logical. Logical is GREAT - in a system like this - having too many options of ways to do the same things gets confusing and MM does a good job of "less is best"! Not less quality but less options on how to do a task.

Cons

There seems to be some things we have asked for that we are told cannot be done - removing contact names if the contact name has ever been associated with a contract. I get why - but we have asked for a button to make it show inactive so we don't have it on a drop down. Also the dates stay in the publication lists and they start with the oldest so if I am adding new or adjusting a date in 2021 - I have to scroll all the way from the oldest to the newest - and do this every time - it should start over where I left off.

Thanks for the kind review, Sonya! We appreciate you and will forward your feedback. If you'd like to discuss specifics of the software, feel free to contact your software consultant. They'll be happy to help!

Positive Training

Pros

We liked that we could have everything in one system including billing thru quickbooks and our subscriptions. Its very easy to use after taking the training and using daily.

Cons

I haven't found a report yet that shows the total page count for the issue. I could just be missing it.

Thanks for the awesome review, Ashley! If you're looking for a breakdown of pages in Digital Studio, click Analyze. From there, click Ad and Edit Index Report and select the issue you'd like to see. Click Edit Index Report and sort the columns by Page #. In the flat plan, you can click on Issue Statistics to see a full breakdown of issues. If you'd like more information, please reach out to your software consultant. They're happy to help!