Google Chat Logo

Google Chat

Communication tool for businesses and non-profits

Google Chat Reviews

4.5

2K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.5/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

I like how it integrates seamlessly with other google products like google drive and google documents. I also feel like it’s a very stable product.
It's nice to have such convenient access to chat within Gmail but that's all the positive praise I can give it.
This is another fantastic tool provided by Google for the workplace. Internal coordination is a must for all businesses and Google Chat helps in that really effectively.
The search engine for previous issues is bad. You cannot search for one person only (filters) the room system is a bit confusing with the various conversations created.
All too often a message will be sent out by accident incomplete.
Sometimes the video call may be laggy. And also while texting there is a character limitation which is annoying.

2,099 reviews

Tigran K.

Owner

Real Estate, self-employed

Great product, but doesn't support calls anymore

Transcript

Tigran K.: Hi, my name is Tigran. I am a small business owner and I give Google Hangouts a rating of...

Justin S.

DevOps Engineer

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Cheap but frustrating

Transcript

Justin: Hi, I'm Justin, DevOps engineer. And I give Google Chat a two out of five rating. For more reviews...

Benjamin H.

Information Technology and Services, 501-1,000 employees

Best messaging software for users

I love the way that anyone in my circle can easily contact me and because it cab be installed on practically everything I never miss a message or contact.

Pros

The best part of this software is the ability to have it in use across multiple platforms. Cell Phone, Computer, tablet, etc. one-stop for making sure I am connected to those who need to contact me.

Cons

I have been using this software for a very long time and I honestly have not found anything lacking as far as daily use goes.

Guido N.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Great chat app, if you don't care the sad interface

I use it daily in my agency to communicate with the internal teams of each project. It's easy and straightforward, you set it up in no time (it's integrated in our Google email accounts!).

Pros

Works everywhere (from mobile, desktop, tablet... really, anywhere!), flexible and powerful, it natively integrates with Google Drive so you can also transfer files very easily, rooms are easy to create and manage and they let you manage your projects and teams in an easy and elegant way.

Cons

The UX is ugly, as most of Google products. Notifications are not easy to set up and this is quite important for an instant messaging app.

LM

Lucinda M.

Mental Health Care, 51-200 employees

Easy to use and immediate contact

Easy feature for communicating

Pros

I can use this on my laptop or phone to be connected with my team as needed

Cons

No issues with this software so cannot rate

DA

Denise A.

Graphic Design, self-employed

A simple chat

Pros

The software is necessary to foster dialogue within google. Useful for those working with Google and associated software.

Cons

It's a simple chat, nothing complicated, definitely not used outside of google.

LF

Lee F.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Chat and Spaces are great for team communication

Pros

Recently started using the tasks feature within Spaces, and it's been great for our team.

Cons

A way to organise chats would be really useful. For myself, grouping chats for developers, designers, social teams, would come in handy.

VL

Veronica L.

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

Formal communication.

Is a great tool were you can link and send files from your messages. Keep it all together.

Pros

Easy to access from your Gmail account. Simple but effective way to stay in contact with you coworkers without being informal.

Cons

Notifications are not always at hand, and takes some time to arrive.

kk

krishna kumar s.

Building Materials, 5,001-10,000 employees

My Review

overall is good experience during my business communation and interaction with other person

Pros

Mostly i like about the project is notification and Chat interface

Cons

Least is that it has somewhat less features as compared to other competitor

CO

Cesar O.

Logistics and Supply Chain, 11-50 employees

Great Communication tool

Great overall communication business tool.

Pros

Our most used features are file sharing and overall communication, the app is great with those.

Cons

None at this time, we`ll continue using it and update review.

KM

Kramer M.

Design, 1-10 employees

I would recommend this to anyone

Overall it is a good app and works well, easy to use and integrates well with google apps like gmail.

Pros

Easy to uses and being a google app integrates well with other android apps, and the google system of apps.

Cons

I have experienced some issues when sharing images, where they load extremely slowly, or show up for me and not the other members of the chat.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Great for Chat

Pros

Easy website with notifications that can start with your computer. Easy app to use as well

Cons

a lot of spam accounts messaging you during important conversations

CO

Christine O.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

A user-friendly messaging tool

The app is free to use and is a cheap way for communicating with employees, especially, since I have employees who have the habit of ignoring text messages. I can send unlimited texts at no cost whatsoever, which is a very cost-effective way of communicating with employees.

Pros

I like it how easy it is to search for a contact within the chat. It also enables me set reminders, which keeps me on tabs of all the things I need to do throughout the day. The messaging app is reliable and very secure. It allows for all of us with Gmail accounts to interact seamlessly. It is a wonderful tool that has reduced the number of messages in my inbox. If I want my chatbox to read unavailable, I can easily sign out from the chat.

Cons

The pop up messages can be so distracting especially when concentrating on work. At times the messages fail to send and I cannot make out if its the internet connection that has issues or the app. At times the app can be too slow and groggy.

TS

Tara S.

Design, 1-10 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Easier than Skype

One of our group does not have a smartphone (hard as that is to imagine nowadays), so chatting with him on a computer is the best way to enjoy face-to-face communication. We tried Skype, Facebook messages, and Google Hangouts with varying success, but Google Hangouts Chat was the most reliable and by far the easiest to figure out—and it is completely integrated with other G Suite features, so file sharing and accessing contacts is effortless.

Pros

It makes chatting with my writing group very easy—while I'm reading their submissions in my Gmail, I can see if they are online, and I can shoot them a quick message in the moment. It is already part of the G Suite, so no extra programs need to be installed. At the same time, that means I can communicate with anyone who has emailed me without sharing other contact information. We were able to have three people involved in the conversation easily, and I enjoyed being able to turn off the view of myself.

Cons

Sometimes the video/ sound is intermittent, much the way Skype cuts in and out or a FaceTime call will freeze. I believe the speed of your internet connection and that of your companions plays a critical role.

SO

Shannon O.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

A lightweight alternative to Zoom

Pros

It's easy to use and doesn't require launching an whole new program given that most people have Gmail open in tab during work hours. For that reason, it's my go-to video chatting tool. The integration into Google Calendar is also handy.

Cons

It's not nearly as feature-rich as some alternatives. It won't replace your need for a tool like Zoom or WebEx, but it is a nice alternative for quick calls.

Paul K.

Telecommunications, 1-10 employees

The best around

Overall I love it. It's so easy to use, very convenient, and just works.

Pros

It's so easy to use and links with your G-suite.

Cons

Being linked with your G-suite it can be tricky when interfacing with people who are not Google users.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

google hangouts is great for the price, can be unrealiable.

I switched to Google Hangouts Meet because of the price (always been free for me so far). Because of COVID I was using online classes and meetings a lot and kept running out of time or running out of funds to budget the video conf. cost. For the price, it is great and does save me money, especially since everything had to be distanced for so long.

Pros

Google Hangouts Meet is a good app for the price(free). It works great for quickly planned meetings, quick chats, and such. Overall it is a good tool to try.

Cons

What I have disliked about Google Hangouts Meet is that almost every laptop user I have dealt with for some reason has to change the speaker setting that they are using to hear you. This is not something that has ever happed with a video app before. Also, the google invite link always works if it was just sent. So if you are planning something last minute you are good to go. If you are planning something in advance though 7 times out of 10 the link won't work for all or just some and you'll have to start over in the moment.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Modern Enterprise Chat

Pros

One of the obvious competitors for Google Chat is the prevalent Skype (previously Lync) instant messaging application often bundled with Microsoft products such as Outlook and Office for ease of integration. Unlike Skype, Google Chat offers a more modern set of features. Foremost is the way in which content can be directly shared in the chat window such as images or image previews from URL resources....

Cons

One of the main concerns for Google Chat revolves around the precarious nature of Google long term product support. On the other side of the fence Skype users are migrating to a more Discord or Slack like application called Microsoft Teams. This next generation of application incorporates IM into a broader context that includes more robust moderation and content sharing capabilities. As of now, Google Chat is in a branding transition to be incorporated as Google Hangouts Chat which indicates that Google intends to stay in the IM application space, but its not clear what features will be updated to bring Google Hangouts Chat in-line with competing applications.

AP

Andrew P.

Retail, 10,001+ employees

Google Hangouts Review

Overall, Hangouts has been invaluable for our business during COVID. Technical difficulties are rare and if they do happen to pop up, they are easily fixed and never long-lasting. It has been an extremely valuable tool for us.

Pros

Google Hangouts (along with Google Chat) has made it effortless to connect with our teams around the globe and makes video conferencing super easy and efficient. It's ease of use and functionality make it more preferable than Zoom, which has often been glitchy or difficult for some members to use. Especially during COVID, Hangouts makes video conferencing extremely simple and has allowed our team to stay in contact while also allowing us to get facetime with clients who we usually see on a monthly basis. That face-to-face interaction is invaluable to our business and helps us maintain and build relationships despite not being able to meet in person.

Cons

There is little to dislike about Hangouts, but I would like to see more features and functionality to boost the software overall. Since Hangouts is so easy to use, it'd be nice to have a variety of features that are more advanced and integrated into Google's suite of products. For example, if on a Hangout call, users could easily have access to Google Drive, Docs, or Sheets to quickly send files and to share amongst the team in a more seamless fashion.

Fadiah R.

Banking, 10,001+ employees

Increase team communication effectiveness

Pros

The fact that Google has integrated hangouts directly into your email page makes it appear to be more user-friendly, even to those who have never used it previously. I appreciate that I can post messages and get alerts promptly. You may even hold team meetings from one central location—technology at its most advanced.

Cons

While utilizing workspace, I haven't delved into the Google Hangouts part of things yet. It has been brought to my attention that the price is a bit unclear. If the designers could provide a better choice to integrate all of these aspects into one and make it so that the cost can be identified, we would most likely employ it on the business side.

Hafizah S.

Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 employees

Free communication platform

Me and my team use it to have a quick chat between us. We are happy to use it daily.

Pros

Google Hangouts is a free communication platform that have a a quite a good feature like private messenger and video call. I can add my colleague to the contact list from their Gmail account and it will gives the current status of them if the are available or offline.

Cons

I feel that this software is quite basic and not too many tools are available to customized it. The smartphone version is constantly crash and had to restart my phone every time the software is crashing. The software has no newly additional feature and i afraid it will be obsolete.

Adra Safiya K.

Retail, 5,001-10,000 employees

Team communication with Google Hangouts

Pros

In my experience, Google Hangouts is fairly easy to use for team communication, or with anyone on my contact list. It will automatically shown which user is available in real-time and user don't need to change their availability status when they login to the application. File sharing also work flawlessly.

Cons

This software is rebranded to Google Chat, and with it, some of the feature that it used to has have been removed or reallocated. Video call are now separated to Google Meet, which mean we have to use another software to have a video call. It would be better if they keep everything on one place.

LV

Lena V.

Veterinary, 1-10 employees

Google hangouts is ok software for business

For the software to be free, it is decent to use. The features that are offered work well and reliably, so you can be confident using the messaging, chat, or video calls for your business. I would have liked to been able to record and live stream though. The recordings are so important for employees that miss meetings or for tracking our clients pets while in the facility.

Pros

I like that it is free and easy to use. The chat and video feature is great for having meetings without everyone present.

Cons

I really don’t like that you can not screen share or record your meetings. The live steaming feature is absent as well.

BG

Bienvenido G.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Want simple way to communicate, use Chat by Google!

Overall, this software is awesome for simple messaging only! It consumes less bandwidth so if you want just to communicate without having audio or video then use this software.

Pros

When it comes to have leading innovation, it is definitely Google! From complex to simple software tool, it is pioneered by Google. Chat by Google is simple yet innovative way of communicating. I can consider this chatting software as small but really an indispensable software in the sense that by using this you can communicate instantly across the world. I think it is very useful to use in different establishments like what we our doing in our company. I can easily get in touch with other caregivers of our company though we are working from home. We can easily share the information from one another and it does not require high end device where you can install it. If you want simple yet useful software for chatting so it is Chat by Google.

Cons

Chat by Google is designed specifically for chatting. If you are looking for chatting tool that has audio and video features then don't install it. It is basically for text communication only and not for multimedia sharing of information. This software is definitely designed for basic chatting only!

GI

Grace I.

Entertainment, 1-10 employees

A new wave of communication!

10 years of amazing service!

Pros

Google chat is very easy to use! It reminds me of the thrill of MSN messenger and seeing your friends red dots become green and knowing you can instantly reach them! Other than a great personal connection between friends, Google chat has helped me significantly in reaching any co-workers or clients as quick as possible.

Cons

The only limitation is that you must have a Gmail account. As simple as that may seem, it becomes difficult in a professional environment when not everyone has a Gmail account.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Good but not great

It is a simple tool which lacks features and needs to work on tool designing.

Pros

I like the simplicity of the product. Its overall functioning is smooth , i guess the best part is that has access through gmail app on laptop and desktops so you don't have to switch over apps.

Cons

Chats does not pop out easily , the chat boxes are pretty small and designing of tools is not great. when you switch the history on , the instant notification goes to other user/users , there should be an option to stop that.

AA

Aatif A.

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

Google Chat

I have been using Google Chat from quite some time and love it for its simplicity and providing multiple modes of communication with our contacts.

Pros

Google Chat has shown to be quite useful in terms of communication and marketing of products and services. communication with your clients and suppliers becomes simple using Google Chat functionality and features such as Groups, Broadcast Messages, Status Updates, and so on, regardless of how many people are involved as long as they all have it in their phone. Unlike most social communication platforms, where you have to deal with a large number of people you don't know, it let you communicate with selected circle or friends which is more convenient. Also it keeops your communications l encrypted which gives you a sense of security.

Cons

It hasn't gained the deserved popularity and mass adoptation yet because of which it is not possible to find as many of your contacts on it.