Mandrill Reviews

4.44/5 (43 reviews)

Joshua Hudner

An excellent, if costly, transactional email service

Reviewed 2018-12-06

We were experiencing spikes in bounce and spam rates with AWS's SES. We were able to switch to Mandrill in a single day and immediately saw dramatic improvement. As necessary, we later built out support for bulk sends and black list checking and scrubbing. All in all it was an easy process and a good product.

Pros
Mandrill provides a simple and well documented API and has libraries and integrations available for many major web frameworks and languages. Making use of it for simple email sends is a fast and easy process, and it provides additional functionality for black lists, white lists, bulk sends, static IPs, etc. Their dashboard makes it extremely simple to see all the emails sent to a given address along with full content and reasons why sends failed or were delayed, which is a great for debugging and testing. They also provide analytics and send, receive, open, click, and bounce rates.

Cons
The service used to be much cheaper, but costs went up sharply when it was reabsorbed back into Mailchimp. Still an excellent service, but harder to recommend without reservation.

Dan Offer

Cost effective transactional email

Reviewed 2018-03-22

Pros
A transactional email server is setup within minutes and available for you to send out content to your distribution list. The application provides - Graphs to show how many emails you're sending each day - What countries your sending the emails to - Open rates - Mail clients used (useful to optimise content) - Spam rates/unsubscribe rates - Great delivery rates Very cost effective.

Cons
A couple of years ago, Mandrill made it a requirement for you to have a Mailchimp subscription in order to use Mandrill. It would have been better in my opinion to keep the two applications independent, just like Sendgrid. Whilst it doesn't make the cost materially more expensive, it does mean that you have to log into Mandrill via Mailchimp which is annoying.

Dylan Eikelenboom

Perfect client for managing and sending transactional emails

Reviewed 2018-05-17

It allows us to maintain perfect email delivery for all our companies' transactional emails and easily troubleshoot instances where emails were not delivered.

Pros
This application is an addon of MailChimp and is best suited for transactional emails (automated emails, think 'forgot my password' type emails). It allows you to easily manage your sending domains , although you have to verify these before you can send emails. The best feature by far is the ability to view all emails that were sent or failed to arrive, including the contents of the emails and the reason it bounced. This allows us to quickly troubleshoot whenever we get a support ticket regarding an email that did not arrive. During our 6 months of using this feature, there has been zero downtime.

Cons
It is more expensive than some competitors, but its pricing model is very fair and easy to interpret. It does require you to have at least a monthly subscription with Mailchimp, and if you are not using this it is more expensive.

Anonymous

Trustworthy tool for delivering emails to your customers

Reviewed 2018-07-14

Pros
Works well, haven't experienced any problems. Has an online GUI where you can easily find emails that were sent, easy to see blacklisted emails. Has a nice statistics page to see how your emails are doing overall. We've been delivering millions of emails in past year without a problem.

Cons
The PHP SDK I used was kinda outdated and it had little options to change the behaviour without manually changing the source. They should update the library to standards that are more current. GUI where you can view emails, etc. sometimes is a but slow. The search filters could use a face-lift.

Brandon Scivolette

Mr

Reviewed 2018-02-14

Pros
Mandrill is a powerful application that has proven useful for transactional email. They offer an API, decent reporting and storage of track/click data for 30 days.

Cons
As part of Mailchimp they now require both a Mailchimp and Mandrill subscription. I have no problem paying for Mandrill but I'm not a fan of this billing requirement as I don't need Mailchimp. Secondly, in the 2-3 years that I have been using Mandrill I have not seen a single feature release. I find this unusual. True, it works great as-is, but there are definitely areas that can be improved or features that can be added.

Gedson Silva

Reliable transactional email

Reviewed 2019-03-12

We're using Mandrill for all our transactional email needs, as and endpoint in our API concentrator. It's proven to be very robust and reliable over the years.

Pros
Mandrill (now interated inside Mailchimp) has been a solid and reliable transactional email provider, with great delivery rates, very slow spam scores and ultra-fast reception speed. It provides useful and flexible reports and great dashboards too.

Cons
In order to keep it's spam reputation high it takes some effort to set up a new email domain in Mandrill. You have to prove you own the DNS and configure a SPF/DKIM record.

Jorge Melo

Amazing transactional email relay

Reviewed 2019-03-13

We've been using Mandrill as our email relay of choice for all our applications and APIs, and it has been working great in every aspect.

Pros
Very fast delivery with exceptional delivery rates; Does a great job keeping reputation high; Very nice dashboards and reporting; Ability to segregate into sub-accounts; Very easy to integrate with MTA's and API clients; Great documentation;

Cons
Domain validation could be made simpler; Roles and permissions should be more flexible; Once Mandrill got integrated with Mailchimp the pricing model became less attractive;

Very good transactional email API

Reviewed 2018-06-13

Pros
The API is easy to use and the setup is fast. Rather cheap plans when you get started (but gets expensive soon)

Cons
The archive of messages is way too limited! I don't require to keep track of the message content of all our messages, but for our business we must keep track of whether the emails have been sent/read/rejected or not, and there is no way to achieve this even on a higher plan. We'll have to build a workaround with webhooks or find another tool that offers it

Reviewed 2019-07-23

Mandrill has been great to help reduce the amount of time I spend on each client of ours. I have the ability to check email faster and help more people.

Pros
Mandrill is great to backtrack on emails that my company has sent out. We have the ability to view if the email was delivered, bounced, and how many times it has been sent + opened and clicked on. The features of mandrill are great for the company because we rely heavily on mandrill in order to see that.

Cons
At this moment, I can't think of a negative effect of mandrill. It is very easy to use and easy to maneuver around.

Ginger Jones

I wish it were more like MailChimp

Reviewed 2018-05-08

Pros
The pricing is good. We have been using it for years and the only reason we are keeping it is because we don't the pain of switching over to another vendor.

Cons
The reporting features are very weak and we don't like that we have to access MailChimp to get over into the Mandrill dashboard.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Steve Eakin

Great programmatic emails

Reviewed 2018-04-05

Pros
It's got a terrific api that can send programmatic emails (like transactional emails) with ease. Great deliverability.

Cons
The UI is incredibly dated. It doesn't look like it's had any love in 5 years. Still, it works and that's what counts.

Anonymous

Take email to the next level

Reviewed 2018-12-13

Pros
Customizable templates allow fields to be populated automatically base on predetermined algorithm. Set it up and the rest is a breeze.

Cons
Spam is always an issue. Mailing lists get old. People get annoyed. It's a tough business.

Bishal Gupta

Powerful Transactional Email Service

Reviewed 2018-12-19

Pros
We were using our local vendor for Transactional Email Services there was inbox email delivery issue mostly I was getting complain from my users that there invoice through emails is not reaching on time and sometime it's in spam. One of my friends recommended Mandrill and it's really amazing. Great IP Pool with a high inbox delivery reputation flexible API for integration and real-time email delivery.

Cons
First of all I need to login in Mailchimp account to access Mandrill which is very irritating and secondly there pricing is very high.

Lisa Kraus

Mandrill <3

Reviewed 2019-07-17

Pros
I like the ease of Mandrill, there isn't anything to complicated. Type , search , done!!

Cons
I don't think there are any issues I have ever had with Mandrill in the 3.5 years that I have been using it.

Great, while we had it!

Reviewed 2018-05-09

Pros
I run a busy social network. Around 6,000 users total, and 300-400 online at any given time. Due to this, I needed a transactional email service that had great deliver-ability for invitations, verifications, password changes, etc. Mandrill was recommended to me, and we were completely happy with the service. Unfortunately, when they bundled Mandrill into Mailchimp, we couldn't afford it anymore.

Cons
Unfortunately, bundling services did no favors. What previously was affordable for us no longer was. While the service is great, the way the change was implemented was sudden, leaving companies little time or recourse to find other options quickly. That solidified my decision to leave- most companies would grandfather in existing members, offer a lower rate, something. They simply provided us with addresses for other services, losing customers in the process.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Anonymous

Simple way to send email with good reputation

Reviewed 2018-07-19

Pros
Easy to use dashboard for administration Easy to integrate with any existing code Straight forward implementation

Cons
Logs are only kept for a few weeks The dashboard looks outdated Hard to perform advance searches over logs

Anonymous

Very convenient tool for mail management

Reviewed 2018-02-22

Pros
- Very user-friendly interface - Analytics is great to track customers activities on emails. - Good Dashboards

Cons
- it can be confusing to manage emails from different domains. This could be clearer in the application UI/UX.

Joe Gallant

User friendly transactional email - but not the cheapest

Used occasionally for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2018-11-12

Mandrill is a great, flexible transactional email service provider. Compared to others, it is very user friendly. My one reservation is the cost, which may be too steep for some, especially when needing to pay for features which are completely separate to the transactional service.

Pros
Almost all of the functionality can be controlled through the dashboard, as opposed to some of Mandrill's competitors which require use of the API for configuration.

Cons
The price - Mandrill used to be free, but has since moved to a model which requires a pro subscription to Mailchimp (even if it's not going to be used) plus a cost based on the amount of emails needed each month.

SUPER EASY TO USE!

Reviewed 2018-04-30

Pros
I love the software because it's sooooo straight forward to use. I can basically send the link to anyone on my team and I need very minimal time to train them and they can jump right into to troubleshoot what they need. My customer happiness team loves it.

Cons
No complaints about this software at this time. With that being said, I'm not on the team who manages it financially so unsure of investment.

Razvan Girmacea

Using it for my business

Reviewed 2019-02-13

Pros
I have chosen Mandrill over other solutions because it does very good what it does with great reports.

Cons
Old user interface, but you can find any information you need.

Lexx Fluder

Great Product for Checking Email Delivery

Reviewed 2019-02-05

I like it a lot! It gets rid of a lot of the back and forth when customers don't believe an email has been sent or received.

Pros
I love how easy it is to use Mandrill. I get great insight into whether emails were received and opened. It's awesome for support!

Cons
Sometimes it's a little tricky to unblock emails that have accidentally bounced after changes have been made on the end user's side.

Lexx Fluder

Great way to track down rogue support tickets!

Reviewed 2018-06-14

It really helps us see where a problem is happening when an end user doesn't get an email

Pros
I like that it's easy to use and to learn more about what is holding up communications with customers. It gives IP and delivery information that is easy to understand.

Cons
I wish that I could have more history for rejected and failed messages. It doesn't keep them for very long. I also wish that I could view emails that hard-bouced/were rejected in Mandrill so I could see what the customer missed out on.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Anonymous

We use this with a custom app.

Reviewed 2018-04-04

Quality reporting on email sends and insight on how effective campaigns were.

Pros
It's flexible. We were able to tie this in with a custom email app and used Mandrill for reporting purposes on sends, opens, and click rates.

Cons
It doesn't hold reporting data long term. Data for sends, opens, and clicks are only held for 30 days.

Anonymous

external SMTP provider for low volume transactional mailing

Reviewed 2019-04-19

Pros
Clean and good reports of the emails sent Easy to configure User-friendly Dashboard

Cons
Campaign and delivery Data does not last long.

Tomas Kolafa

Nice addition to MailChimp for transactional emails

Reviewed 2018-09-06

Pros
Mandrill has been very cost effective API solution to facilitate transactional emails. We integrate Mandrill with MailChimp.

Cons
Its analytics module is basic. I would enjoy more depth when it comes to user segmentation and email performance.