Acronis Backup Reviews

4.48/5 (143 reviews)

Francis Heran

Great Backup, When You Know How!

Reviewed 2019-08-13

I require backup software that is consistently reliable, yet offers the flexibility to backup my entire computer system, including system files. Then, I want to easily restore any of my backup file versions as required, especially if I purchase new computers that need the same configuration as my existing ones. Crucially, if any of my computers should break beyond repair, I want to use my backup files to restore on any new computers. Acronis, delivers on the above. I am very appreciative for this and have had cause to use these features. I am accustomed to a backup routine and do this weekly. I keep three generations of backup. Acronis has a great feature of validating each backup that, I presume checks each file for errors. Comforting to know when your data is important.

Pros
Acronis has an extensive suite of backup features, with a myriad of options. You will find all that you need from backing up all of your hard drive to selected files. You can backup to an external drive or to the cloud, you decide. Your backup files are available whenever you require, for the inevitable disaster, when you will be thankful you backed up regularly. Its one of the few backup software that actually backs up your entire computer system. Very useful if you have a complete breakdown or need to restore to a new computer.

Cons
At first glance, the software can appear daunting to the novice. The Menu looks clean and simple, yet you look around, bemused, because you don't really know what to do. The instructions are not good. I found my way around, more, trial and error. Discovering the features, by exploring the Menu options and reading the prompts. Initially, it took over hours of my time. Now I know what I am doing, I think the software is great. However, if I go on holiday and come back to Acronis after a period of time, it takes a little time to refresh myself on how use it again. Its not intuitive. With this in mind, this is my backup software of choice.

Berndt Rabe

For me the most important program ever

Reviewed 2018-02-20

Pros
Due to frequent changes in the software, such as Updates and new installations or even the risk of viruses make it absolutely necessary to make regular backups. I have been using Acronis for many years and have never been disappointed When I had to restore the system it worked great! I like it best that you can search the backups at any time and copy data from it. Thus one can repair small problems also on the fast. The possibility to restore the backup also on changed hardware or to integrate own drivers round out the whole still. The rescue media has worked on every computer so far and is regularly updated with new features. Almost every year under the Extras menu you will also find new functions such as system integration or tools from third-party manufacturers. If you want to be on the safe side, you can also use the Try & Deside function to undo system changes immediately. The backups can even be converted into a virtual machine via detours and integrated in Virtual Box, which allows you to try everything without risk. All in all a must have for me!

Cons
Some years ago there was the possibility to buy a Plus version. In this one got additional futures. This was later abolished and the futures were so available. For some reason, parts of it did not exist one or two years later. That was not enjoyable then. In the meantime, the best futures are back and everything is fine!

Neyda Jose Moreno

Ideal for recovery and backup of business data

Reviewed 2019-05-20

Acronis has been really useful since at a business level it is always under risk, since it can fail some server or be attacked in a cybernetic way that is why thanks to the implementation of this software we have backup copies of the business data more important as well as an immediate recovery of them.

Pros
One of the things I like most about this information backup software is that it allows users to back up any location, that is, it does not matter if their data is in the cloud or if it is on another platform. the same way you can protect them, its interface is highly customizable so the user can choose the type of backup that you want to implement, it also offers different types of data encryption which is really advantageous, because if they are stored out of its platform there is no risk of loss or theft and the best or my favorite aspect is that it does not matter since part of the world wants to carry out the backup of information since it is a platform that only requires internet access and a user account to protect your data.

Cons
Acronis is not a completely perfect platform because its learning curve is quite high so it is recommended only for companies with a large amount of data to support.

Chris Johnson

I'm a big fan of Acronis for business backup. Very efficient in bringing back up images of servers.

Reviewed 2018-05-10

Like I said in my review, the virtual image backups are really easy to work with once set up correctly, and can definitely save you from headaches when a server blows up on you. You basically just point to your image, and spin it back up when disaster happens.

Pros
Our Acronis backup scheme works very well in protecting our main file server. The backup process is quick and offers a lot of options, across a number of different backup devices. It's also very easy to spin up another image of a downed server in a short amount of time. It has saved me when one of our VM's was corrupted, and it was very easy to retrieve files from archived images.

Cons
The set up can be a little daunting, especially when working with virtual server technology. Also, there customer support site can be a little overwhelming to wade through for the uninitiated. You have to really identify your issue before sifting through all the support articles. The online manuals were pretty straightforward but did require some study before getting started.

Aaron Gibbs

Excellent value

Reviewed 2019-05-24

Pros
We use this for workstation backups at my company and for this task it works great. The compression and deduplication is pretty good, scheduling options are very robust. I've had very few issues using it and it has been very reliable.

Cons
Compression is pretty good, but not the best out there

Lisa Hendricks

Great backup software!

Reviewed 2019-04-12

I received a free version of Acronis TrueImage software with a hard drive that I purchased, and I liked it so much, I bought the full version. It was very reasonably priced, and it has proven to be such a good tool that I can recommend it to my customers!

Pros
It is very simple to use, and has some features I haven't seen in other backup software -- at least not working! I have tried many different backup programs, and many of them say that they're backing up a full system image while it is running. No other software has actually given me a system image in this way that could be successfully and completely restored to a hard disk. Acronis did, and very quickly, as well. It's also easy to set up scheduled backups and to choose different folders to include. I now recommend it to my customers as backup software, especially for Windows 10. It will do a clone of a Windows 10 system on a new hard drive that works perfectly. Add to that its affordability and the fact that it runs well on Windows 7, 8 and 10, and it's practically perfect!

Cons
Well, the only problem I've had was solved pretty easily: I changed to a new workstation and tried to install the Acronis software I had purchased. The activation process said that I had installed it on too many computers, so I had to deactivate the previous installation before it would work. I did, and it did!

John Panzenhagen

The best backup software I've ever used

Reviewed 2018-08-17

I had a very old Windows 7 laptop that had a hard drive that was failing. I installed the Acronis software and used it to clone the internal drive to an external USB drive with an SSD hard drive in it. Although the drive was failing and had many errors, Acronis was able to successfully clone the drive. I replaced the failing drive with the newly cloned SSD and the system booted right up. I had to reinstall a couple of drivers that were corrupted on the original drive but other than that the new drive works perfectly. I was concerned cloning a traditional drive to an SSD but Acronis handled it with no problems.

Pros
This program is very easy to use and very powerful. It performs traditional backups including full, incremental and diffierential as well as cloning entire drives. It also supports building the recovery software into your backup drive so that if you need to do a bare metal restore, the software is all there.

Cons
When cloning a drive with many errors, it seems to wait a long time before it asks you if you want to ignore them. Once I told it to ignore the errors, the clone worked great.

Gary White

Reviewed 2019-09-03

Overall, this is one of the best backup programs I have used. I have had to do several bare metals restores using it and it has always performed perfectly.

Pros
Acronis backup is something I have been using for years. I switched to it after using another major Vendor's backup solution after it became very costly. Acronis has only become better over the years. Their agents deploy nicely to servers, the workstation backups are flexible, and they have a Mac client.

Cons
The only downside I see is that their cost for their online backup is a bit high. If you catch a sale or discount then it isn't too bad.

Rebecca Rondon

Fast restoration of the most important business data and information

Reviewed 2019-08-27

Since the use of this software has been implemented, our information is kept secure and backed up so that in the event of any failure of one of our servers we no longer have to worry because we only have to go from anywhere to the cloud and thus restore that information to may our business continue to stand.

Pros
I love Acronis Backup, since it is a software that allows you to quickly restore commercial and personal information, it is also easy to use and beyond restoring and supporting data, it also protects them against ransomware attacks what really It gives us peace of mind because we can not only back up our data but also protect it, which is why I consider it a really complete and quite flexible software, since it offers its users a free 30-day trial, and is also compatible with Linux systems and Windows

Cons
More than upset I consider it a suggestion, it would be ideal if your interface could be improved to make it much more modern.

Jorge Lara

Worry-free Backup Solutions

Reviewed 2018-11-13

Pros
We have implemented Acronis backup tools in many customers with the purpose of automating workstation and server backup processes. Acronis is consistent in the scheduled tasks and provides a reliable backup (and recovery) solution for organizations of different sizes. On a personal note, I have also used the Acronis Ransomware Protection Tool which is free and a great resource for protecting against the loss of important files. Their software tools, in general, are easy to use with a friendly and intuitive user interface.

Cons
Setting up the business tools takes some time and requires attention to detail. You can easily misconfigure important tasks if you are not careful.

Anonymous

Simple and effective for my budget

Reviewed 2018-04-10

Pros
The web based console to control all my backups in one place, and not having to remote onto a machine to start a backup or create a backup profile is great. The fact that incomplete backups can resume from where they left off, and i have the option of target locations to do backups

Cons
Initially the software upgrades can take quite long or not complete at all. Sometimes the seed load is seen as a separate backup, and the incremental backups take up more space than they should.

Paul Kiley

Overall solid and full featured. Can be confusing for less savvy end users

Reviewed 2018-03-06

A reliable backup software that can be precisely configured as needed

Pros
Acronis has been my personal backup software of choice for my own office for several years, it has a huge degree of configurability, could look for in a backup product. I find that it does though, require some degree of technical awareness to configure and utilize properly

Cons
Interface can be intimidating and /or confusing, for less technically proficient and users. Can present them with too many options and choices.

Nick Barber

Having Acronis will ensure you get a bonus

Reviewed 2019-04-09

My overall experience with this software has been nothing but excellent. I can sleep rest assured that our back ups are completing and were able to restore if we need to.

Pros
Acronis By far the best most robust and easiest to use back up software I have ever used. The jobs are easy to set up in the restores our seamless.

Cons
I struggle to find any cons with the software. As compared to our previous backup software this is far and away the best. This is outperformed anything that comes to my mind.

Sue Casper

Great for Daily Backups

Reviewed 2019-03-05

We have had to use the restore feature a few times. On one occasion the backup did not complete and we lost a weeks worth of work when we restored the files. I periodically do a verification to make sure the backup is running correctly. Otherwise its a must have when your computer crashes.

Pros
Can be set up for daily backups Runs in the background Easy computer restore feature

Cons
Some 3red party software has to be reinstalled If for some reason the backup does not complete your backs from that day forward are not usable

Michael Ragan

Acronis Backup for Server

Reviewed 2019-02-14

Pros
I really like the software as far as dependability and reliability. I've used this software on multiple platforms for over a decade, one of the most respected names in my mind when it comes to backup/recovery solution providers.

Cons
The cost of the server platform and the feature set it offers for that price point is really expensive. But compared to other providers like Veeam it does a much better job and is dependable.

Anonymous

Cloud backups are great, when you have internet

Reviewed 2018-11-16

Pros
The ability to run local, and cloud backups provide the extra redundancy necessary for any company to succeed after data loss. During a prolonged internet outage, it's important to be able to keep your backups running.

Cons
The pricing can be complex to navigate, and deciding which plan to subscribe to-- the per device/ per GB-- isn't obvious at first and takes a reseller with experience to lead you in the right direction.

Elan Weinreb

Acronis - Great Local Backup

Reviewed 2019-09-24

For backing up my local drives while offering Ransomware protection, my experience with Acronis has been great.

Pros
The GUI and various options are easy to figure out and configure. There are many different backup options, and the on-board Ransomware protection is a plus.

Cons
The software does crash on a somewhat regular basis and appears at times to be a memory hog. However, most of the time it works just fine.

Anonymous

When used as an imaging software for system builds, it works great. Backup and restores are adequate

Used occasionally for 2+ years
Reviewed 2018-02-24

Fast system deploys. Able to image a system including OS state before tinkering for troubleshooting purposes. Restores are fast if using the boot disk.

Pros
It is easy to use and performs well if the underlying operating system is the right and supported versions. Using the created boot disk and using that to image and build systems (older version) was easy.

Cons
The newer interfaces are horrible. I understand trying to make it more idiot proof but hiding away features under a simplistic interface means advanced users have to really dig to find the tools needed. Seriously, I've tried to get end users to get this software and do their own backups but it doesn't do much more than the built-in backup utilities so it would be better if they focused on more advanced tech users as their customer base.

Dan Gospe

Acronis Backup has all of the state-of-the-art features you need for quick recovery

Reviewed 2018-06-21

Pros
The ability to virtualize from your backup media is a huge asset. This means that if your server fails, you can boot it up in a virtual environment and get it all configured in about 30 minutes. Having a VM fail-over server is the best part of this backup.

Cons
The interface to recover can be confusing. It's best to start with a totally erased, non-formatted recovery drive. If it's formatted already it might map partitions incorrectly. Full recovery outside of VM can be slower than Windows Server Backup.

The Best Backup Utility!

Reviewed 2019-09-12

Using Acronis in a hospital environment made things very quick and easy! Migrating from Windows XP to 7 was a huge task at hundreds of doctor offices in the state and Acronis made backing data up very quick and easy. No data was ever lost!

Pros
Acronis is a very powerful backup utility. The software makes it easy to configure a backup and execute. The software works very well and I never really had any issues with using it.

Cons
The cloud storage is a separate thing from the software so a hard drive or thumb drive would need to be used.

Jada Redmon

Reviewed 2019-04-02

Excellent! I love knowing my data is safe and secure.

Pros
Super easy to configure. I have been using this software for years and recently had my first failed HDD. It was no nice to be able to restore to a new drive easily without the panic of whether I lost data or not.

Cons
New versions change quite a bit and require some learning.

jojo salvador

Acronis Server Backup

Reviewed 2016-12-05

a must tool for imaging servers and workstations. works now with windows 10 (not tried windows 2016 yet).

Pros
easy to use creating windows 10 images.

Cons
none so far.

Mike Wydila

Acronis Backup is a effective solution for backing up user data.

Reviewed 2018-05-10

Pros
The ability to schedule backups after closing. We need our VM servers backed up daily for medical records and patient files.

Cons
Slows down the network resources when running during the day. Also backing up multiple servers has to be done as two separate backups at different times and if they overlap, the backups fail.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Great backup software for Mac

Reviewed 2018-01-26

A reliable backup solution for my work PC.

Pros
The backup software that comes with Mac and Windows are a bit rudimentary. Better than nothing, but very bare bones. And if you've ever had a Mac OS Time Machine restore fail on you, well...you only need to have that happen once before you lose your trust in it. If you're looking for a more robust and reliable local backup solution, this is the solution that you're looking for.

Cons
I moved from Time Machine to this, so I miss the ability to restore specific files quickly. But I very much rather have a backup I trust will work when a restore is needed.

Good product

Reviewed 2017-10-10

Pros
It's a very simple product to use and provides a great imaging platform for a low cost. Overall does a good job at backups of individual desktops.

Cons
Limited to desktop backup. Not a good piece of software in a VM environment. Images can be very large and does not offer compression.