Balsamiq Reviews - Page 2

The best tool for sketching an initial layout or prototype of ANYTHING

Amazing tool if you need to showcase something or discuss the initial layout

Pros

I love Balsamiq and I have been using it for a while now if there is a work that involves UI/UX tasks that I need to define or explain. The tool has pretty much all you need to make an awesome prototype.

Cons

Few things. First of all, I would really appreciate a student tariff for the tool. Also, it would be great to the a web version of the tool that might be universal to use anywhere.

I still love it after 9 years

I've been extremely pleased with the overall experience. I really like the look of making a wireframe look like a sketch. It gives it a very clean look so you can focus on the functionality.

Pros

I found it extremely easy to use. It took me very little time to understand the concept and then I was up and running. As I continued to use it I picked up shortcuts and advanced features. It really plays a big role in communicating what needs to be built. I also really like exporting a project into a PDF file so it can be used as a demo with options linking to various pages.

Cons

I haven't really found much that I did not like. There have been times when I would like to have some more elements to include in my wireframes. I have seen some that were available for purchase which is nice.

Excellent software for daily use.

In my personal experience, it is a very useful tool, easily accessible, without the need for installation or previous configuration, which is used to make quick designs, diagrams, sketches, mockups, etc. It is quite versatile when improvised, it also allows access from any device with internet access and a web

Pros

I really like this tool because it is very versatile, I can make mockups, sketches, diagrams, etc. In a very easy and fast way, the interface is very intuitive and easy to use, any design that is needed can be created freely, it also has many icons and predetermined shapes, it has an adjustment system and a fairly useful grid that helps to work more precisely, what i like most is the number of formats in which i can export the projects, since it supports several formats such as pdf, jpg, png, etc.

Cons

It is a limited software in terms of customization of shapes, since it only supports changes in size, colors and texts, it serves for basic and fast designs, however, for more dynamic and specific models, it is not the ideal tool.

Easiest mock up creation software

An excellent experience for rapid prototyping and a life saver for requirements discussions

Pros

I have a lot of clients that are not able to clearly express their requirements or visualize the outcome of the project. Step in balsamiq software that helps me to showcase the forms and development of very rapid prototyping screens. The software has the option to create mobile screens, grids, all the easier ux elements in a different sketch format. This gives the client an idea of what the product will look like and also confirm that it is a model and not the final product

Cons

Editing of grids or adding rich text elements is a bit painful process

I use this software to show our development projects to our clients.

Among the benefits I have obtained, I recognize that it has been much easier for me to present ideas and that they are approved by our clients, more quickly. I invest a short time to propose an idea.

Pros

I like that it is a multiplatform application (mac & windows). It is very simple to use, ideas can be easily translated into your "canvases". The insertion of objects and other components is very intuitive. It is easy to present a project on different platforms. When I have to use the full screen mode, it works well, the links that I activate on my screens make navigation through the project real and allow our clients to better understand the idea.

Cons

Using the software, I noticed that in recent versions the symbol libraries are duplicated and I do not know why. It does not have an interactive whiteboard, which allows other team members to join together to develop the same idea.

Hi José and thanks for taking the time to review our tool. :) About your issue with Symbol libraries, we'd love to investigate this further in case you're still seeing it. Also, let's make sure that you're using our latest version (3.5.15): https://balsamiq.com/download You can reach us directly via support@balsamiq.com, we'll do our best to help! -Virgin from Balsamiq

Useful low-fidelity mockups that allow designers to communicate flows, not UI

Easy to use, drag and drop wireframe and design flow communication tool. Allows for the designer to control the focus of feedback to be at a higher level than UI detailing and really discuss the merit of the experience that is being proposed.

Pros

Balsamiq is a great way to describe the flows (or potential flows) of an application or website, without getting bogged down into UI-level details. The library of low-fi components is super useful to quickly and easily communicate a concept, and have it evaluated at the level that you would like. I like the scrappy styling, as opposed to doing some greyscale geometry in another tool (which just doesn't set the right tone).

Cons

A minor wish I have that I would like Balsamiq to be be able to do, is actually integrate with other tools like Sketch. I'm not sure how that would work, but being able to work using our own design components (we have a shared GUI pack) but then be able to flick over to a "sketchy" versions of these would be super valuable for elements of the screen that are very particular to our products.

Wireframes, Mockups and more at any time.

My experience with balsamiq has been quite positive, it allows you to make sketches very quickly, or diagrams, in addition to supporting so many formats it is easy to share with other people, it also allows collaborative projects so i can work in a group effective.

Pros

What I like the most about Balsamiq is the number of formats it supports to export the work done, it is very easy to use its workspace is quite comfortable, it has a great variety of predefined images, which allows wireframes, mockups, diagrams , etc. In a very fast and intuitive way, besides being web based, you can enter from any device with internet access from a web browser. Another function that I like very much is the ability to export the files directly to a cloud such as google drive.

Cons

It is a tool of basic / medium use so despite having a variety of buttons and predefined images, they need to increase the amount, the interface, despite being quite intuitive, the design looks somewhat antiquated.

Would never start a mockup without it

A beautifully created tool that is a pleasure to use.

Pros

It doesn't matter whether it is a web site or a full blow desktop or mobile app, Balsamiq will make it as quick and simple as can be. One of the things that Balsamiq really shines at is that a newbie can start using it immediately as it has a well thought out userinterface. But then dig deeper under the service, and you'll find all sorts of powerful features that allow even the most complex mockup to be created with ease. I also love the look of the created mockups. Unlike some tools that try to create photorealistic versions of your design, Balsamiq focuses more on creating a proper wireframe mockup (although other options are avialable) and there actually look darned cool and are very presentable.

Cons

What's not to like. Balsamiq does exactly what it claims to do and it does it beautifully. I've used it for years and I honestly can't think of any times when I thought it was lacking.

Must have tools if you are a Product Manager

Overall satisfied, but Invision, Sketch and Marvel are catching up fast in this domain.

Pros

It helps make Mockups quickly and with pre built frames it is very easy. It also helps sharing very easy. I like the fact that almost all that is needed for android, ios and web is available and can be edited.

Cons

The following things I don't like - 1. No walk through/onboarding, sometimes makes you feel lost. 2. Lack of prototyping. I would like to share user flow also, which I cannot.

Balsamiq for All Your UI Needs

I use Balsamiq anytime I need to create user interfaces and get approval from stakeholders. This allows me to rapidly prototype and prepares the team for software development. It is indispensable.

Pros

- Make mockups lightning quick - Get approval without nit picking - Very affordable - Runs on all my computers - Easily export for sharing - Import your own graphics

Cons

- It could offer additional built-in templates - It requires an update to Adobe Air if you don't use it for a while - Importing media could be a little better - It would be nice if you could integrate pre-built Javascript scripts into the mockups

Essential for communicating website and mobile layouts

Balsamiq is the best way to communicate complicated ideas with clients.

Pros

For anything of any complexity, I love using Balsamiq to quickly wireframe what a website, form, mobile app, or component. By keeping with the 'sketch' look, clients don't get sidetracked with imagery, or colors, or fonts - instead they focus on the layout and functionality of the website or app. I love creating navigational PDFs for clients with this tool.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to find the right icon - there's got to be some way to search and find them.

The perfect mockup tool for non-designers

Pros

When I'm collaborating with designers and/or engineers on a new website or mobile app experience, Balsamiq is my go-to resource for creating mockups. First, it strikes a very good balance between features and complexity; it's quite easy to find, manipulate, and edit the visual elements you need, even though the range of elements is quite large and the "canvas" is so customizable. Second, the "hand-drawn" style of the elements is perfect for early-stage mockups, because it allows you to create pretty good approximations of the look-and-feel of a user experience without suggesting (or being responsible for/beholden to) pixel-perfect mockups.

Cons

I sometimes wish the Balsamiq team was more aggressive about releasing new visual elements in the tool to reflect new design styles being produced out in the wild, but usually I can either use a similar element or mush other elements together to create the same effect. And at the end of the day, this isn't a deal-killer--after all, Balsamiq allows you to create approximations and capture the intent of your design, and if there were an endless supply of element options, you might get too caught up in trying to be precise (which hamstrings the designers).

It had helped me to create rapid wireframing in the shortest possible time!

Time and speed! One can pick up the software in one afternoon - short learning curve!

Pros

As a desktop software (one of the 3 options), it is easy to easy and execute to come up with fast wireframes for team collaboration and clients' previews. Learning curve is short with its compact and common features found in UX software. It has a library of standard UX (usability or user experience) elements or templates which I can click and select, and start creating the wireframing pages or interfaces. Oh, the software is very affordable. It now comes with 3 versions - Balsamiq Mockups 3 for Desktop (Desktop App), Balsamiq Cloud (Web App) and Balsamiq Wireframes for Google Drive ( Google Drive Add-On). It is a great tool for UX designers who are just starting out working on UX.

Cons

However, I found that it is only good for basic wireframing. If I need to go for more complex UX elements, it is not readily found inside the library. Besides, it does not contain plugins that can extend the usefulness of the software. There are no 3rd parties that Balsamiq that can partner with and help integrate and make the software more powerful and versatile. I wish that Balsamiq Studios can improve on this aspect of the software.

Mockups for Everyone

Balsamiq has allowed myself and others at our company to quickly put together mockups to thoroughly explain and show new features or changes we would like to make on our site. They are easy to share and easy for others to understand.

Pros

Balsamiq is one of the most intuitively easy tools I've used in a long time. I had to teach myself how to use Balsamiq and was able to quickly learn the basics on my own and get a page mockup ready in very little time. If you take the time to dive deeper, there are some very complex features that can really improve your mockups as well.

Cons

The only real complaint I have about Balsamiq is that the search feature doesn't work very well. It seems as though a lot of the assets available to you are not tagged correctly which can make searching almost ineffective. It is usually easier to dig through the category menus when looking for a specific asset.

Great for website mockups for non-designers

It was and is a convenient tool I use to create basic mockups to describe my ideas to designers and developers when it comes to website design. It's user-friendly and I quickly learned how to use it.

Pros

It's a great tool to explain to designers (or to other colleagues) what do you want to see on the website. I am not a designer, but I often have to create new pages with information on our website and before I give the technical task to the designers and developers. Balsamiq has quite a number of "features" you can add to your website so that you can create a draft layout in a few minutes (if you know what you're creating, that is. If not, then you can drag n' drop features around the page and get the job done too.)

Cons

It did everything I needed it to do, so I haven't found anything where I found it lacking.

Balsamiq lives up to its reputation as an easy rapid prototyping tool

Pros

Balsamiq is designed at creating rapid, low-fidelity static mockups. It does that very well, and is so easy to use. If you use Balsamiq Cloud, it's also easy to share and collaborate on mockups. The Cloud offering has a nice way to publish the mockups to use as a presentation for business customers. The symbol capability is great, allowing you to re-use components of a mockup across a project and even override the defaults from a symbol. I've seen other tools that fall down at this aspect.

Cons

Balsamiq is not intended to create high-fidelity mockups or animation, so it is not comparable to some mockup tools that have those features (Framer, Adobe XD). However, I think the price reflects that. Balsamiq is very affordable for some back-of-the-napkin type mockups that you can throw together quickly.

Quick and easy way to make mockups and wireframe.

Pros

Balsamiq has a wide variety of predefined forms that facilitate and speed up the creation of mockups, interfaces, wireframes, etc. It has a high performance does not consume many resources, you can export the protects in many different formats, photos like png, jpg, pdf documents, etc. It has a web-based version and a desktop version.

Cons

You can not edit the predefined shapes, some look very old so you can not always achieve the desired result.

My first rapid wireframing experience turned a success thanks to Balsamiq

One of the best tools I've discovered recently. Cheap and easy to use. A must have for quick back and forth on your UX plans.

Pros

Great tutorial to get you started, a ton of elements to use out of the box to create wireframes quickly and painlessly. Balsamiq is perfect for someone with no wireframing experience. The process of transferring your vision to a visual design is a breeze for a person with no experience in graphic design so your product owners and stakeholders could use it too. I love the rough-edged design of the app, and the free-handed look your initial designs get but you can make things more presentable if needed. I am using a Google Drive addition for only $5 a month and couldn't be happier with the value for the money. Only the editors need a license. Any number of people can view your designs that you can share like regular Google docs, slides, or sheets.

Cons

There are several different fields you can use to comment and write descriptions, so it can be confusing as to where to put the most important information about the design so that your team can always see it.

Few things to know about Balsamiq

Must to have a product like this for building prototype.

Pros

1. A very good tool to learn wireframing and the concept of wireframing. 2. I am glad to say that it provides a top notch level of UX that helps me a lot to build wireframe of any display quickly and easily.

Cons

1. Limited access to icon library there can be scope of improving it. 2. Boring user interface as it don’t attacts me just because it doesn’t have any color options.

Amazing tool for PM's and Dev

Balsamiq remains an extremely simple and easy to use tool for wireframing - infact it is the default choice of a bunch of product managers, specially at the beginning of their career. The ease allows you to ship out basic wireframes at an amazing pace. Because of this reason it strongly fits into the early stage startup culture. I have personally developed the first version of web apps, mobile apps on balsamiq and never has my dev team complained. It gets a bit tricky to use this extensively at an evolved product stage but nevertheless the tool works and works just fine.

Pros

Simplicity. Anyone, literally anyone can use Balsamiq. The web demo is simple and then all the leading dev and business tools have a balsamiq app - be it Google for Work, Confluence.

Cons

Balsamiq - is a great skeleton wireframing tool and that remains its biggest limitation. It leaves a lot to be desired. Especially the moments when the PM's want to add colors and make the exact replica designs, Balsamiq might not be the best thing to use. + The license fees for a tool which allows only this feels a bit on the higher side.

A great application to start understanding how to make wireframes

It was a great platform to be introduced website wireframing.

Pros

the simple and basic design and ability to import assets we want along with easy to understand interface.

Cons

The lack of collaborative feature for the students.

Excellent for Quick Mockups

I've been using Mockups before I start building websites or apps because it helps me visualize what I want my project to look like and to see how each element will look next to each other. Although I use other design/prototyping tools, I find that doing low fidelity mockups on Balsamiq is a lot quicker and more efficient because it helps eliminate assets and design elements that I don't need for my projects so that I don't waste too much time when creating a higher fidelity prototype.

Pros

This software was very easy to use due to its clean, basic interface and great keyboard shortcuts. I like that you can change the skin of your mockups with a cartoonish hand-drawn look or a more cleaner wireframe for that professional look. I also like the fact that it's a one time payment only and NOT a monthly subscription that you have to pay to use, especially in this day and age when almost everything is moving towards subscription based services.

Cons

I don't really have much negative things to say about Mockups just because it does what it was designed to do, but it would be great if there was an Android/IOS app for people who want to create really quick mockups on the go.

Good for brainstorming ideas and getting concepts shared with app designers

I like the overall ease of use when designing and mocking up apps and screens. It's easy to build a flow and annotate so you can share and get things started. When you're in the concept stage and trying to get a basic visual out, it's a great tool to start and work with.

Pros

Just very easy to use, the basic library of icons, images, etc is quite good and adding your own images, while a little cumbersome, lets me create different looks pretty easily. Was also easy to export in formats for sharing with stakeholders on design and app developers, especially with the annotations. Really a good tool to get up and running and you do not need to be a coder.

Cons

A bit cumbersome to add your own images/icons. This is definitely meant for a user on a large screen. I used it on my laptop and it was a pain. You need screen real estate to use this effectively. The menus could be a little easier to use, but nothing here was a deal-breaker.

Easy to use- Good for the price

I think is a very easy to use tool, allows you to quickly sketch something, allows me to create my mockups for any SW requirements on my job.

Pros

I like the fact that you can copy and paste picture of your current product into it and design over those pictures the new functionality.

Cons

Some of the wire-frame elements could have more "functionality" like selecting a button could call the next mock up,

If you talk about mockups, you are talk of Balsamiq

Pros

Have to describe an app? no problem. Create mockups and link all it. Have to describe a flow? no problem. Create using mockups. Have to describa an application? no problem. You have Balsamiq. Can use everywhere, also inside google and Atlassian products.

Cons

Cost can be a problem, but my opinion is: spend a lot and earn the great results :)