Balsamiq Reviews - Page 4

Super easy to use, saves tons of time in the design phase

Great tool for doing product wireframes. All you need, easy to use, easy to share and export your work. Must have.

Pros

Very easy to use by anyone involved in doing wireframes of product screens. Easy to export and share the wireframes. Saves tons of time in the follow-up design phase when you have the wireframes finalized and approved by everyone.

Cons

It did take some time to figure out the editing interface but in general UI is easy and intuitive, no problems.

Balsamiq is helpful, but a little basic

It's good to get some ideas flowing, but then folks get stuck on objects which are missing or objects which just happen to be there (like an onerous button) and the idea loses value because it's clear it's not a vision of implementation. And granted that's the idea- a mock up. But there's just too many other ways to present ideas; it's hard to get people on board with abstract concepts when it should be easier to display a true prototype design.

Pros

I liked that most folks are aware and comfortable with this tool and that it's otherwise very easy to use. The only limit to the mock up is your imagination.

Cons

Once you're done designing (without limitations) then there are practical issues like implementation. The tool doesn't take unique objects into consideration (like Salesforce for example) so translating what is essentially a doodle into reality becomes difficult. Frankly, the tool is just limited given that there are so many programs to collaboratively draw/shape with. The file organization is decent, but without customizable/relevant objects it can honestly set your goal further back because a concept which doesn't concern itself with implementation now is memorialized and that much hardest to translate to reality.

Simple mock up solution with limited template options

Pros

It was easy to use this mock up software, and they had a number of "template" options to quickly add to help speed the design process along. I was able to make a mock up of several pages of my companies website in half the time using this system. It also allowed for easy modifications, and duplications - which is a plus! There is also an easy way to download your design for sending to others.

Cons

The example items you can use are few and a bit outdated, and there was no simple way to add a new asset to a project without going back to the main menu, adding, and then going back into your project (which is kind of a pain).

Hi there and thanks for the review! Just so you know, the easiest way to add images and icons is to simply drag and drop an image file from your computer on to the wireframes canvas, as detailed here: https://docs.balsamiq.com/cloud/images/ Hope this helps! :) -Virgin

My go-to tool for fast prototyping

We use Balsamiq to prototype our software. It allows the dev team to visualize the software and make changes before we start coding. When you see a UI design take shape quickly, you can make changes to improve it, and understand what you're building much better. The software that is eventually built is much stronger as a result.

Pros

Balsamiq is quick, easy to use and does a good job of prototyping screen design and other UI elements.

Cons

Has a dependency on Adobe Air which wants to update almost every time I use the software! Would be good to have more "psudo dev" code-like behaviour built in.

Hi Rod and thanks for sharing your thoughts about our little tool! :) Just wanted to let you know that we're working hard on our next major Desktop version and it will be native (no more Adobe Air). It should be ready this year (2018) but in the meantime, you might want to try out our new web version, Balsamiq Cloud, that is already out: https://balsamiq.cloud/ Any questions, we're here! :) -Virgin

The best tool to sketch interfaces

Whenever I want to draw a new interface, I pick up Balsamiq. It's very easy to draw a sample and readjust it. And if you have any questions, they support is second to none. They will do all it's humanly possible to help you.

Pros

It's so simple to use. In a few minutes, you have a sketch ready to get feedback on and modify. The fact that is low res makes it easy to throw it away (you didn't invest a lot of time in it in the first place) and start again.

Cons

It's very hard to find a defect there. The software works great and support is amazing. No, nothing to say here :-)

Competent and simple UX Tool

Balsamiq is integrated into our Office365 subscription and it is hard not to use it to communicate visual design and ideas when developing bespoke software, it does a great job overall.

Pros

The UI is straight to the point, setting up a new project with some prototypes is easy and all control types are easy to find. With the recent integration into Office365 it has become a natural choice for me and my team.

Cons

Sometime the rough aspect of the mockups looks a bit too artificial and too far from the final product. We tend to opt for designs that look as close as possible to the final product the team will develop, since this helps our stakeholders understand better our proposition.

Best way to get started with any UX

Pros

Easy drag and drop of elements to convey any complex idea in minutes.

Cons

Android and ios specific components would be great to have.

Super simple to use

Pros

I love how easy it is to bring my ideas to life. It's very difficult to get a thought out of your mind and onto paper using words, especially since I am nowhere close to being a programmer. All I can do is say "here's what I think it should look like and how it should function" and this program allows me to build that.

Cons

I wish I had a little more customization options with the build in features. For example, Sometimes I want to change the style of a page intentionally to show that it will be different than the rest of the pages I've created. I'm kind of limited to the one style they've created, even though it is a good one.

I really enjoy using Balsamiq to create project mockups

Balsamiq mockups allowed me to take client ideas and turn them into a rough wireframe. It works really great for this, similar to using UXPin or InVision, but stripped of design down to the basic elements. I've found this useful as a starting point to get the customer thinking of flow and layout, but not yet getting into overall style.

Pros

I've used Balsamiq a number of times to wireframe a website. The somewhat cartoony approach gives enough of a visual so customers can get an idea of how it will be structured, but not so much that they get lost in thinking it will look exactly like the mockup. There are plenty of features to make both, a good desktop and mobile mock up, and also the right amount of "functionality" to have links so a user can get a feel for how it will work before actually implementing.

Cons

Getting going was a little challenging at first, but there is a fair bit of trial and error to find out how to do things. I'm sure there are tutorials and help, but it wasn't so difficult that I had to seek those things out.

Very useful mockup tool

Overall great, we've been using it for over three years now with no reason to change.

Pros

This is the tool we use for all our mockups. It's very simple to use and flexible, it won't produce a finished and polished design, but that's not the point. The point is to transmit the idea of the design in a fast and simple way and Balsamiq does it well.

Cons

It can get tricky with files from different versions. I's like to have more flexibility in using colors for some items (like lists, etc)

Simple and easy mockups that aren't very printable

Balsamiq makes a great product. I used the myBalsamiq online subscription as it was easier and more portable - I could log in from any computer and keep on working. There are tons of predefined widgets to use, so making mockups becomes a quick and easy task. One of the things I didn't like was the snapping capability. It's very imprecise. I know this is a mockup tool for low-fidelity wireframes,...

Pros

- Easy to use - Affordable - The myBalsamiq online version lets you edit from anywhere without installing any software

Cons

Great way to Prototype applications before full fledge design

The ease of use of this software during client discussions saved lots of misunderstandings and helped prototype the solution wireframes quickly.

Pros

Balsamiq mockups tool help us to visualize and bring to life the client thoughts and design ideas in a rapid prototyping discussions. I liked the features to access the components easily, and even develop mobile layouts prototypes.

Cons

There are some usability issues with the overlay features, and the grid content is also difficult to manage.

A big help for your projects

Balsamiq Mockups helped me with my final grade project. Everyone liked it. The screenshots in the documentation, the interactive screen prototypes and the visual components made the difference. I'm glad to have Balsamiq Mockups as an ally.

Pros

Balsamiq Mockups can help you in designing prototypes and showing it to your users to know very earlier if they will accept your interface or not, and what can be improved. It has many different components so you can reach your goal very easily. You can choose themes to make a singular experience. Your customer (or key users) will love to see what you intend to do by using Balsamiq Mockups. I do recommend it, for sure!

Cons

I guess the licensing fee is a bit high for solo developers. For a company, it's fine to pay monthly to use the software, but I guess it can be expensive if you don't use it regularly. It has a 30 day trial, you can check if it will serve your purposes though.

Hi Fernando and thanks for sharing your thoughts about our little tool. :) We do have different products that may fit your needs best. For example, our Desktop product is a one-time license fee: https://balsamiq.com/buy/#d Don't hesitate to reach out via sales@balsamiq.com if you have any questions! -Virgin

Great Way To Prototype

Very valuable prototyping tool that makes development much faster and more straightforward.

Pros

It is such an easy, quick way to map out what you want your site or app to look like. It has made so many projects so much simpler to begin and follow through with.

Cons

The service itself is great, but the pricing structure is a little high (given the simple nature of the feature set) if used as an individual and not a team.

Hi Daniel! We understand that Balsamiq Cloud (our web app) might not be the best fit for you and we do have other products that may fit your needs best. For example, our Desktop product is a one time license: https://balsamiq.com/buy/#d Don't hesitate to reach out via sales@balsamiq.com if you have any questions! -Virgin

Balsimiq is the standard for wireframing

I've never had a problem with it and love using it when I need to use it.

Pros

Balsimiq is so easy to use! It's fun to wireframe an app. You can do it so quickly and then send the wireframes to the client to get approval.

Cons

I can't think of anything I don't like about it. It does everything I need and more. It might be nice if it had themes or some way of changing how the wireframes look.

Awesome tool for mockups and prototyping

Pros

I really like the fact that Balsamiq has so many field types and shapes available, and is also customizable to work with web or mobile.

Cons

More than a con, an improvement would be to add some sort of navigation between the screen a in the mockups.

Thanks for your review, María! Our little tool which has low interactivity on purpose but the Linking feature might help you to demonstrate navigation between your wireframes. More details here: https://docs.balsamiq.com/desktop/linking/ Hope this helps! -Virgin

Terrific for quick mockups; not intended for exact look-and-feel

Pros

Balsamiq is a great tool to quickly make mockups to show the general idea or functionality of software, websites, etc. It's terrific for designing additional features and functionality for existing software that already has an established style. Balsamiq makes it extremely easy to align different elements with automatically snapping guides whether you're moving an element with your mouse or nudging it with your arrow keys. That definitely helps with efficiency.

Cons

You can only design using a single font, which can be an issue if you need to easily show that a piece of text on the design needs to be monospace, for example. This isn't a tool designed for exact, pixel-perfect mockups, so don't expect functionality beyond wireframing.

Hi there and thanks for sharing your thoughts about our little tool! We just wanted to let you know that you can change a project's font from the Project Info Panel, as detailed here: https://docs.balsamiq.com/desktop/projectinfo/ Hope this helps! :) -Virgin

Cool and easy mockups

We work fine with balsamiq, making quick and nice mockups, with a very casual style

Pros

Mockups really mockups. Love the style of mockups. It's really easy to use, and with very nice results to prototypes

Cons

Don't like the way to edit tables, and text ... it's to old, but works. It could have more elemnts, containers, etc

Great tool for the non designer guys

Pros

You can do prototypes fairly easy for web and mobile applications. It would help you to speed things up in your team and it would be easier to transfer your ideas to the UI/UX team as well. You will have a lot of predefined assets that will simplify your work.

Cons

It would be awesome that you could export this directly to other tools like photoshop or sketch and so a designer will be able to easily improve your prototype.

Great tool but careful with lo-fi wireframe

Excellent tool and really easy to use

Pros

The tool is excellent and lets you produce really rapid lo-fi prototypes. Learning curve is quite shallow because if you ever used another design tool everything is pretty much intuitive.

Cons

The problem with Balsamiq is not the tool itself but delivering your customers a lo-fi wireframe. Depending on the industry and culture many middle managers and executives don't quite grasp an app or web design using these. They just see a bunch of boxes with scattered text. These kind of wireframes are great for clients with experience in design and of course for team discussion or super rapid prototyping environments like lean startups. But don't go beyond that

Balsamiq = the best tool ever

Pros

I was a total newbie to mocking up, but this tool made it SO EASY. It's similar to powerpoint in intuitive usability, and being able to map out the logic is incredibly helpful for the development team and demonstrating mockups.

Cons

Sometimes there is a variable difference between the sizes of the screen squares...that sounds like a strange problem, but basically if you put a web browser container on one screen, it can sometimes be slightly different than the next, making presentation a little clunky.

Hi there and thanks for sharing your thoughts about our tool! Just wanted to let you know that the Wireframe skin (available in the project info panel) might be useful for having more precise elements: https://docs.balsamiq.com/cloud/overview/#the-project-info-panel Hope this helps! -Virgin

Pretty Good Mocks up Site.

It's really good and simple. We use it at work and I use it personally to prototype a lot of the apps I'm going to be working on, but it's pretty good!

Pros

I've used Balsamiq a few times and it really helps to collaborate and build mock ups to show to clients and provide them with examples of how their apps are going to look and quickly collaborate and show them how we're going to do some changes and workflow of the applications they want us to design. I also do it to quickly prototype an app workflow and export it to a PDF that has links that you can use to navigate the app like a real one.

Cons

A lot of good features and customization can be missing, but if you're looking for a free and quick to build prototyping/mock ups app, Balsamiq is really good.

Perfect for Quick Visualization

We would use Balsamiq to mockup several forms, apps, and mobile layouts. It did a great job to help us move forward quickly in a project.

Pros

If I had a website, app, or design I wanted to quickly sketchup and present to my team in a form that could be easily modified, Balsamiq was my favorite tool to do so. Very easy, intuitive, and got the job done.

Cons

While I might like even more customization options, what was present served me very well, and was otherwise adaptable to my needs.

Balsamiq makes wire framing easy

Pros

Balsamiq is really easy to use. It was introduced to a team that had minimal experience in wire framing and the team was able to pick it up in no time. In addition to it being easy to use it added real value to the organization by allowing for more detailed wire framing to help flush out ideas.

Cons

I would like to see more options for organizing the wire frames created rather than just grouping them by project. In large projects it can be a little overwhelming trying to find the correct file.

Hi Shelly and thanks for your review. Sorry to show up uninvited, but I just wanted to share a way to organize your projects easily. Check out our Hierarchy feature: https://docs.balsamiq.com/desktop/overview/#using-mockup-hierarchy This may help with project organisation. Any questions, we're here (support@balsamiq.com). -Virgin from Balsamiq

A simple and well rounded tool for screen mockups

Pros

It allows even terrible-at-art developers to throw together screen layouts and designs, and chat with the team about where items should be. They can be easily moved around, and it's very simple to learn and use. Great for initial project work.

Cons

Although the mockups are useful, they can also look quite unprofessional, which sometimes means spending more time tidying up or redrawing layouts to show to management in other tools.