Codenvy Logo

On-Demand Developer Workspaces with a built in cloud IDE.

Codenvy Reviews - Page 2

FT

Farzam T.

Internet, 51-200 employees

An In-Depth Review of Codenvy

Codenvy offers a powerful and user-friendly development platform that is ideal for developers who need to quickly create, test, and deploy applications. While there are some limitations when it comes to customizing the environment, Codenvy is a great option for developers who need an easy-to-use platform for their projects.

Pros

Codenvy is an incredibly useful and user friendly development platform that allows developers to create, test and deploy applications quickly and easily. It's cloud-based, so you don't need to worry about managing, installing, or configuring any hardware. The platform offers a wide range of features and tools, including a powerful IDE, integrated version control, and an easy-to-use deployment system.

Cons

The only downside is the lack of customization options. There are limited ways to customize the environment and the platform is not as flexible as some other development platforms.

JS

Justin S.

1,001-5,000 employees

Excellent service, but a few issues I hope will be ironed out

I have been very impressed with Codenvy's service so far. The big thing I was looking for was a service that could be used from multiple computers without having the set up an environment on each. This service easily meets that, and has support for a lot of languages. In terms of languages, I wanted a service with support for Java projects with Maven, and this seems to have support for that, among...

Pros

It's free! Cloud access from any computer Easy to use editor Editor contains many advanced features Supports many languages

Cons

Unable to drag and drop files in the tree view (not sure if there is another way to move files - if so, I've yet to find it - however there are workarounds, such as creating a new file and copying contents, just not ideal)

Thanks very much for using Codenvy and for your detailed review - the drag-and-drop is something that is in our backlog and that we will be attacking this year.

NN

Nanduni N.

Brilliant Online IDE: Varied features, ease of coding, better user experience and Docker support.

I was very surprised to experience a browser based developer environment with Codenvy. This was perfectly the same idea that I had in my mind several months ago : a browser based developer environment. I was really wondering how my idea has already got into work. I found about this IDE when I was looking for some means to deploy a server in Cloud Foundry. I found it more interesting as it is a cloud...

KG

Kabuta G.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Best Solution For Application Development

Pros

When it comes to application development, Codenvy has it all and has been very helpful As a software developer, I like that debugging using Codenvy is easy.

Cons

It is not ideal for new users - they require training

Michael S.

Computer Software,

Pretty decent

This is written from the perspective of a PHP developer. I signed up for Codenvy because I was testing out multiple cloud-based IDEs for features that I like. Chief among them was support for docblock annotations that allowed ctrl+click into methods. While this feature wasn't present here, it wasn't surprising because it's not present in any other cloud IDE either. What I liked about Codenvy...

Pros

Easy to use Low entry barrier Fair pricing Free plan Decent documentation

Cons

No PHP syntax highlighting No support for remote projects No built-in shell CLI requires Java

DD

David D.

Codenvy: A great choice for coding in the Cloud

I am a heavy user of the Cloud 9 IDE and a big fan of the complete cloud based coding environment. So, I was very excited to give Codenvy a whirl. I must say that I was not disappointed. I'm always wary of products that claim to be developer tools that do not do a good job catering to the developer community. Right off the bat, Codenvy does a great job at that. Their free offering is at par with...

Kyle P.

51-200 employees

Hands down best Cloud IDE

When I moved over to a Chromebook a few years ago I was sifting through all the cloud IDE options and Codenvy really stuck out as the best option from the start. Through the years they have kept to their word and keep making the service better and better. The latest version is just a complete "wow!" from seeing how much the platform has grown. Yes, it's practically a platform since it has so many great features baked in besides being a higly performant IDE; Git (GitHub / Bitbucket), Docker, Bower, Google App Engine (GAE), multiple languages, starter templates, "local" datasources, etc.! The portability of it makes it a simple choice as well since there's nothing to install and works great on every platform I've needed access to my projects (Windows, Mac OSX, ChromeOS, Linux).

Pros

Portability to be able to access projects on any OS with nothing to install. Just open up a browser tab and start coding. The flexibility to write virtually anything from native Android apps to web apps that run on most PaaS. The ease of the wizard to start a new project is unmatched.

Cons

Certain Git commands don't fully execute correctly all the time (such as deletes) since the update to v3.x. Offline ability and a mobile/tablet app would really put this over the top. True FTP integration (it has it through a 3rd party currently) would also be great to make it the only cloud IDE I need.

Thank you for the review, if you come across any Git issues please let us know by posting information on the problem to our Google Group (https://groups.google.com/a/codenvy.com/forum/#!forum/codenvy) our Git integration is very important to us and we want to make sure it's flawless. Regards, Brad

DP

Dinesh P.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

A Feature Rich Cloud based Development Environment !

Pros

1. It is cloud based development environment and hence can be accessed anywhere on any device 2. The interface is clean and hence it is easy to learn about the tools and just getting hang of the IDE. 3. It is ideal for a web developer like me who has to work in team since it allows easy code sharing and collaborative features to allow other developers to edit and compile code on their machines. 4. It has support for all the latest technologies such as nodejs , reactjs etc.

Cons

The only downside is that it is simply a cloud based interface to a development environment so it needs internet and can be heavy in data usage depending upon what you are doing.

JK

Joseph K.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Used other for 1-2 years

It is just an amazing environment to code, debug and improve the effectiveness.

Pros

The application provides a very easy platform for developers like us to create and edit source codes and create automatic codes. You get remote spaces as per your requirements, you can take your coding environment technically anywhere! The application is easy to use and the plugins enable to work efficiently. They have provided an ample number of tutorials to use codes, both automatic and source and the best part I love about this application is its customer service. The customer service is very quick and responsive, and it supports large groups. It has a plethora of advanced features for sharing, organizing files and it supports a lot of languages. The pricing is very much fair and you can share the workspaces with team members as well as external clients and members.

Cons

It doesn't support local storage and I feel they could improve the security features. The absence of keyword shortcuts is a huge pitfall. Data clutter is another turn off while I use this application.

HS

Harsh S.

Codenvy Review!

Pros

I would say it is one of the easiest cloud IDEs to setup. It gives on demand real-time collaborative IDEs and it's quicker than Cloud9 in this department. A while ago, it was just the code you could access wherever you are. But now with Codenvy, even the environment is not required. You open the browser, you login and bam! You're good to go. It's has really taken programming to a new era.

Cons

The overhead of the page loading is a bit slow. But again, it has all these options to be taken care of. But I would really appreciate it if the loading speed was a bit faster.

Semiconductors, self-employed

Just the what I needed!

For a person looking for jobs or to majestic the next big move, this is just a perfect software that comes with no difficulty or training phase.

Pros

Wanted a quick platform to practice my coding skills for a job interview and just wow, what an easy interface to use. Easy compiling or even cross-compiling of code and really fast!

Cons

There is no way to change the compiler versions, at least for C. Some of the libraries I tend to use are old ones not supported by the latest compilers.

DJ

Darius J.

brief overview

Hello, I must admit I haven't been using codenvy for a long time - I'm just a newjoiner so far. However I love the idea of cloud IDE! And I love the design! dark, easy on eyes, contrast is great and all the colors are visible very well eventhough everything is dark. Also I haven't run into a cloud IDE that has a running X server - that's something new (for me at least). However there still are...

Cons

First of all, thank you for using Codenvy. We are going to be addressing the short timeout for runners in our 3.9 release due in late April. On the password concern could you please email me an example screenshot of this as I am unable to reproduce what you're seeing and we take security very seriously. You can reach me at bmicklea@codenvy.com.

RL

Ryan L.

Solid cloud IDE

I've used multiple cloud IDE platforms hoping to find one that stands out. Among the top I've used are Nitrous.io, Cloud9, Codeanywhere, and Codenvy. Each of these feel very similar, but differ slightly in some of the features and options available. Here's my run down of some of the pros and cons of Codenvy: Pros: - Generous FREE account allowing unlimited projects, workspaces and containers...

KV

Kartheek V.

Internet, 1-10 employees

Gives you the chance to do everything at the same place

Pros

Really fast to run .There is a free version you can use . Can connect and run any type of code . The debugging is at an advanced level .

Cons

Codenvy is hard to master , the UI is especially hard to work with when you are starting out .

Marc F.

11-50 employees

Cool Stuff...first Impressions

Just stumbled across code envy recently while looking at other cloud dev alternatives. The whole process for signing up for a free tier account (512 MB) and getting something up and running couldn't have taken more than 10 or 15 minutes. As a new user, I am still playing around with it a bit but it has some great possibilities for running multiple dev environments without having to get all the pre reqs installed and configured on my own machine.

Pros

From my perspective there are a number of things that I like: - Easy of setup - Pretty nice code editor - Anywhere access - Ability to have multiple environments - Multiple language support - Git support

Cons

Since I am new to Docker, I would love to be able to get my hands into some advanced config options. Additional web development language support (other than PHP) would be nice to see.

Thank you for the review - we are in the process of revamping how custom environments are handled and over the coming months you will see changes to make these even simpler to manage. For the web development language support we currently support many different languages including Javascript, Python and others. You can see a full list by creating a new project and scrolling down the list to the "samples" area. If there are still issues please contact us on our forum: https://codenvy.com/technical-support Thanks, Brad

Tim L.

Information Technology and Services,

Next step in development

This is a great product that is almost there. We have started using it for little open source products. Its pretty easy to have one dev setup the project, and the others just clone the codenvy project. We are up and running in no time. I love that it is using Docker, and that you can provide your own docker run scripts.

Pros

* Fast from 0 to up and running * Nice angular'ish interface that is quite responsive * Works on mobile enough to run your app * Integrates pretty well with GitHub * Many different types of projects supported (java, go, etc...) * Tech Support is great. I had 2 tickets answered w/in 24 hours. * Works well * Autocomplete is decent

Cons

* Sometimes you get into a weird state with old sessions * No code search that I found, but I think they are working on this feature * 10 minute timeout can be annoying but sometimes its nice. Setting? * I wish i could just sign up for the $1/month service w/o contacting sales

Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed review. We can confirm that we are working on a number of improvements to the product (we release >3x per month). We are also going to be changing our purchasing model so that it's completely automated and doesn't require speaking to Sales - this should be coming in several weeks. Thanks for being a customer! Brad

SR

Somnath R.

Best online IDE for server application developers

Let me start with the pros and cons of this product. Pros: 1. Excellent IDE to develop server-side apps with Java, Spring, Python, Ruby, or PHP. 2. Multiple easy-to-use platform integrations with Amazon Elastic Beanstalk, AppFog, CloudBees, Cloud Foundry, Google App Engine, Heroku and OpenShift. So, you do not need to worry about integrating with your preferred platform. 3. The basic version...

KG

Karthi G.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Powerful and robust open source coding system.

Pros

The application supports quite a lot of languages. The application is simple to use. Very affordable tool, quick and responsive customer service. Offers a cloud based coding system, is open source. Offers eclipse plug ins, php applications are easily run. The starter templates, Google apps engine improves the effectiveness. You can easily check up projects on any operating system without any installations. Remote workplaces are provided. Tutorials to use source code and for debugging are provided, automation codes can be easily created. Configuration of the environment is not required. It helps large groups and teams, the platform is easy to use.

Cons

Local storage is not supported. Security features could be improved. You can't use keyboard shortcuts in this application. You can find information cluttered while you use the application. More tutorials could be provided.

SC

Shivakshi C.

5,001-10,000 employees

Coolest Cloud IDE

Pros

I personally like to have my workspace in the cloud and accessible anywhere. GitHub integration is pretty cool. Ability to use git commands in the workspace is amazing. Pretty close to the user experience I have in my local IDE.

Cons

Lack of keyboard shortcuts. Lacks drag and drop support Could also provide SSH, FTP kind of access which is crucial for many projects.

PP

Petr P.

Great workspace for developers

I dont want to talk about ambitions of Codenvy. Their growth rates speak for themselves. The developers have done a very high quality product. It contains a lot of interesting solutions. Such as code refactoring, multi mode and invitations. And if you have an account in Google, the registration may take a few minutes. But if you do not wish to use a Google account, the registration of this does not...

AP

Azim P.

New CS Student testing the waters

Codenvy is an exceptional tool and a must for programmers. It's intuitive, easy to use, and allows for multiple features that are extremely handy and useful. Pros; So far, Codenvy has allowed me to finish my homework assignments in Java and other languages, and it also helps me practice & learn a little bit of SQL. The website has an easy share function that allows me to share all my code to my...

PS

Prabhdeep S.

Review of Codenvy

Pros

It is very easy to use and user friendly. Java support. PaaS Deployment. Fully functional SQL editor. Datasource with support for Google Cloud and AWS.

Cons

Project tutorials are Kind of hard to follow. It is hard to know how to get to the next step in the tutorial.

Timothy V.

10,001+ employees

Great light weight option for cloud IDE, building, and live testing

Starting to play with it at work and am now using it for some of my small/medium projects. It's very easy to load code in and start going right away. I am using it to deploy java webapps to a tomcat container. Codenvy allows you to actually deploy a tomcat instance in a docker container for free. Setup takes about 10 minutes, and after that you're ready to go. The docker instance only lives for about 10 minutes. I've found this to be sufficient when testing features. The cloud IDE is really fast for what it is, but possibly isn't quite as snappy as a high-end development machine. I tried using it with a giant work project, and wasn't able to make it work.

Pros

Quick supports multiple languages supports quick on line testing easy to use

Cons

docker instance only live 10 minutes for free version Giant projects don't quite work.

Thank you very much for your thorough review - we would love an opportunity to work with you on getting your work project running in Codenvy - please post some details on our Google Group: https://groups.google.com/a/codenvy.com/forum/#!forum/codenvy We will be moving to a new pricing model that will remove the 10 minute running timeout for free projects in April 2015. Thanks, Brad

TD

Todd D.

Codenvy Rocks - Great for Mobile Teams

Many moons ago I went to school to be a Computer Programmer Analyst. My Major was C++ with a minor in SQL and Java. Currently my career path has taken me to become a System Administrator. I've been looking to get back into programming as I do some HTML5/CSS stuff on the side. My personal company, I want to use more of a cloud based setup. I am considering purchasing Chromebooks as equipment...

Kaustubh J.

Information Technology and Services,

Must know tool for every programmer

My first lookout for software was to find a environment for my students which I can refere to them for coding without the hassle of configuration. I came across codenvy for the reason and got hooked with features. There is rarely anything that you cannot code using Codenvy; only con for me is the Android Tablet App which has caused be give a star less.

Pros

Full fledge IDE in a browser! Debugging available Can develop android apps in browser Git included Already is compatible with docker to give custom stack or import present working stack as is Also has a on Premise Option Direct deployment to Google App Engine(Huge Pro for me)

Cons

Earlier it had a con which was preparing workspace literally took minutes but with new update I find it has overcomed it. Another con is I have been waiting from a long time for codenvy to roll out a android app compatible with tablets atleast. I might be wrong with this another con but I didnt find core Java coding libraries