Codenvy Logo

On-Demand Developer Workspaces with a built in cloud IDE.

Codenvy Reviews - Page 4

RD

Robat D.

Codenvy: A Heaven For Web Developers

I am searching such kind of IDE long long time in the web . Suddenly I find it in the Google . As a opensource user, I was very glad to know that it is open source project. When I log into the site , I was totally shocked. OMG!!! what a nice IDE. It is very powerful Editor from my point of view and git support. Another feature of Codenvy attracted me and that is its custom runtime environment. That's very unique thing. Apart from that it has java support, root access which I think like developer most. Though it has some good feature, Still i guess it has some bad things also. Drag and drop feature is not available in there . No SSH FTP mode. No keyboard shortcut as well . I would suggest to it developers if they add those it would be more powerful than any other IDE.

Shaun N.

201-500 employees

Impressive cloud based IDE

I got hold of a Chromebook to try out the OS and to see if I could make use of it as a light laptop alternative for studying, refreshing my development skills and blogging. I thought I'd struggle to find an IDE I could use that would be even close to usable and I couldn't have been more wrong! CodeEnvy is really impressive, it has every project type I think I'll ever need and seems to work without a hitch. I can always go back to where I left it and with Git support I know I have my code and can track changes easily. Chromebook is a real option for a cheap development environment.. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Pros

Free option, huge support for development frameworks and languages, simple to set up and use.

Cons

Haven't found any yet.

Af

Abdul f.

Awesome

I am a student, and I likes Robotics, and Programming. I found this VERY useful when trying to write codes. I can even run the code online, and see what the result was. This is just an amazing platform, and I can't say or express how much I like it pros :-1)User interface is really cool 2. Excellent support for several programming languages 3. Supports multiple Java application servers 4. SVN and Git integration 2)Excellence Cloud IDE Good choice of features 3).On-demand, instant-access, real-time collaborative IDEs 4)Really easy to use and deploy projects. cons 1)- Configuration of databases 2)As a new coder, it took me a bit to fully understand the platform. This being said, part of that may also be my lack of knowledge in this field.

Kd

Kasun d.

Coolest cloud IDE I ever worked!

I'm currently work as an engineer on WSO2 App Cloud. We integrated codenvy with our cloud platform and I must say codenvy added a huge value to our cloud platform. Apart from that I personally use codenvy to play with my repos currently in GitHub with the use of its GitHub integration feature. Its pretty simple easy and cool! Pros: - I personally like to having my workspace in the cloud and accesible anywhere. - GitHub integration is pretty cool. Ability to use git commands in the workspace +1. - Pretty close to the user experience I have in my local IDE. Cons: - I prefer the dark UI to code. But some may prefer light UI. - Lack of keyboard shortcuts. - Better if we can have some more code generation options.

Yashi L.

51-200 employees

Great Online IDE so far..

I just give a try to create a rails app with this IDE. and it was a great experience, and the IDE itself, feel like I'm working on a native desktop environment application. I'm very happy to work with this system, also it help me to carrying coding workplace and the code wherever I go, because I use PC for my home computer and another PC for the office, so I need to sync up with my workspace, settings ..etc, thanks for the great product.

Pros

The app feels more native.. and it's more familiar with the desktop IDE programme. easy to use, and great built-in tool for the quick task.

Cons

I think the app need more performance improvements. Especially when loading the project workspace.

CC

CD C.

Good GUI drive Cloud Workspace

Pros Quick and easy setup Docker Free account allow enough to get started GUI menus for everything so you can generally find what you're looking for Good basic VIM keyboard shortcuts Cons Takes some time to find things when you first start No terminal access Git support is good but missing advanced git commands/flags Overall I think this is a good contender. I've used Nitrous.io, Codeanywhere, Cloud9, and Koding. The ability to use Dockerfiles alone is a big bonus. And once over the learning curve, it was nice to have a GUI to get through some tasks. However if you're comfortable and frequently drop to cli, I think there's a bit more adjustment time. I'd recommend it if you use Docker or want to use Docker.

PT

Paul T.

Great for convenience but doesn't all quite gel somehow.

Makes for a fantastic multi-language dev environment that you can rely on for projects that have infrequent bursts of activity: you don't need to worry about where you kept your working copy etc. I loved the broad language support and the IDE is OK (some kind of remote plugin for intellij would be better though). But there is something not-quite intuitive about the concepts used. I have to go read the docs any time I might need a different build structure. "Builder", "Runners", "Configs" all sound like it should be obvious, but there's just something missing from the way they're managed. I suspect if I had to use it regularly, it would all become second nature. But then I'd probably not rely on the UI so much.

NM

Nicola M.

An IDE in the cloud, sounds great!

I tried the free account of Codenvy SaaS. I found that the idea behind Codenvy was successful, coding everywhere without the needs of installing any software on my PC, just a browser and (obviously) an Internet connection. The dashboard design, as well as the IDE itself, is very modern and clean, you can do everything with simplicity. The support for various programming languages and for some framework was great, too. Maybe more frameworks support must be nedded (for me the most importants are Laravel for PHP coding, and maybe a support for creating new Grails project - it would be great if you introduce the support for Grails 3.0). The overall rating was really great, I think in future this must be the way to develop.

DC

Duncan C.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Codenvy Rocks!

I've just started using codenvy and like how stable it is. I've switched over from another cloud IDE solution that wasn't as stable.

Pros

It is very stable. Customer support is great. I like that the free version has an hour meter, but isn't limiting in any other way.

Cons

The GUI was a bit overwhelming at first, but that is just because there are so many features they have packed in.

HB

Harshendu B.

Codenvy Review

So.. I was in need of a cloud IDE as my new job runs on Java 6, hence cannot setup Eclipse on local host. So i spent about 2 days trying various cloud based IDE's. Spent most of the time with codenvy was also most disappointed. First I thought it was the work pc with outdated browsers and what not, so I tried it at home on my brand new iMac. Same story, it just wouldn't do anything. I set up projects and that was the farthest I got with it in about 2 days. It kept saying starting, starting...... forever. Also, include some good detailed videos on how to get this thing going. It was a pain. I went with jDoodle in the end. You have a great product on hand, now make it work .

CC

Crystal C.

great cloud ide

It really is a great cloud IDE. I couldn't find a better java cloud IDE. it had most basic features that I needed, even code completion, which was amazing. it's great you are able to make your own custom stack and custom build. one issue I had with it with integrating with bitbucket because of the ssh keys. I couldn't find the documentation properly on it. I think it's cool that it uses docker to create the server, however, I kept having to copy and paste the URL that I was testing. Every time I opened up the server, it would just open to the root. i wish there was some configuration where you can put the rest of the path in so that you didn't need to copy and paste that part in each time.

hs

harmandeep singh s.

10,001+ employees

A Great Cloud IDE

Pros

Superfast deployment. Root access. Can install practically anything(libraries, programs) Git and subversion one-click menu options are a nice touch that the other IDEs don't offer

Cons

no FTP support Database connections must be external needs more text/code editor features and functions built into the IDE

HK

Haaris K.

Best web-based IDE for Computer Science

Codenvy has multiple languages built-in its IDE. This makes it great for me, a student who is still learning more languages and its uses, as I don't have to switch from IDE to IDE just to fiddle with another language. But one thing that does pester me is the consequences that come for being a web-based IDE. If the Internet suddenly shuts off (as it has tendencies to do), my project will be halted: I'll lose my flow and, quite often, I'll stop programming. In the end, compared to an IDE that could be empowered by the RAM and CPU of a strong computer. That being said, this platform is completely free and its stable, so its a must-have for computer science students and experts alike!

RS

Rajat S.

Good idea needs finishing touches

Pros - Most of the tasks are automated. No need to configure workspace, jars or application servers. Running and testing an application can be done directly through the site. Cons- The website needs exploring; can only use by hit and trial method. Site doesn't have any how to , need to google everything. Suggestions - I would be helpful if you can provide a basic overview(documentation) page. Some documentation regarding what can be done and what is not possible in current version of application. Many of the useful features are not being used or appreciated by users since they don't even know about it.Some basic html pages would go a long way in increasing usability.

KD

Kevin D.

I really enjoy using Cloud9. I mainly use it for Rails development.

Pros: Really like how you can create a new environment and it includes all the tools you need automatically. I have just recently started web development about a month ago and this is a huge help to a beginner. The interface is very well done. I really like how it includes a virtual server. I love how many different styles there are for the text editor. Cons: I am currently using the free version since I am still new to web development and I don't like how it limits how many workspaces you can use. I am not sure if I can include more projects in a single workspace but it kind of limits what I can practice with and I'm not experienced enough to pay for the app yet.

201-500 employees

Great Coding Platform

As a developer-in-training, Codenvy has been essential for my coding needs. I typically work from either my Macbook Pro or a Samsung Chromebook, so the ability to code on a common platform - in the cloud - is essential. Codenvy allows me to test out the techniques I'm learning and quickly figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Pros

- Free tier is great for those trying to learn to code, and I can easily see how scaleable it is when you transition to larger projects.

Cons

- As a new coder, it took me a bit to fully understand the platform. This being said, part of that may also be my lack of knowledge in this field.

YB

Yong B.

Among the few best cloud IDEs that are actually usable

I'm not a fan of cloud-based IDEs and in general I tend to prefer native apps over web applications, particularly for software development, where writing, building, and running code are "special" requirements. After trying Codenvy I am thoroughly impressed - this shouldn't be possible! I love the way they are taking advantage of containerization, and the UI is very well done. The only two cons I can voice, and I hope this is only a matter of time, is that there isn't offline access; and that you can't view a graphics buffer to see what a program draws on the screen. It would be awesome to have some kind of graphical window that appears... in the browser? Who knows.

TR

Tom R.

Codenvy is convenient and well-designed

I started using codenvy as an on the go Android development IDE, and it is excellent for what I required. Here are the pros and cons of my experience. Pros: The environment is really easy to get familiar with, and very intuitive. Coding language selection is vast. Free users available, with a reasonable amount of access Cons: Does not provide code completion. Android emulator takes a very long time to load, and must be reloaded each time you compile your project. There are only two subscription options: pay as you go and a very large scale membership. A middle of the pack membership would be an ideal option, but is not available.

VS

Victor S.

Feature-rich cloud-based IDE experience

Has a look-and-feel reminiscent of IntelliJ's IDEA, with full menus, explorers, and drawers. I tested alongside Nitrous. Compared to Nitrous, the color scheme is slightly harder to read - maybe it's the font choice. Also Nitrous replicates the console experience nearly exactly, which is more familiar for Rails projects. The comparable UI in Codenvy - "Runners" and "Configs" - may be simpler in the long run but took me a bit of fiddling around to get something to run the first time. The myriad of menu items makes me think there is a lot here to explore and master. It is a strong contender for my next prototype or even full side-project.

JT

Jesse T.

I need it to work with Perl, and using custom containers could use better documentation

CodeEnvy looks slick, but it has no support for Perl web applications, such as Dancer or Mojolicious. There's no Perl syntax highlighting, and there are no pre-built Docker images for Perl. I followed the instructions for using a custom image, but it took a long time because it needed to pull the Perl images from the Docker Registry every time (no caching). Plus, it wasn't clear in the documentation how the application is added. Do I need to use ADD or COPY? What's the $app$ special variable? All that said, I think that I would really like CodeEnvy if they added native Perl support and improved the documentation for using custom containers.

JG

John G.

Overall Pretty Amazing

First off let me start out with the Pros: This IDE has the lowest learning curve ive ever seen. nothing fancy needs to be learned or remembered to get up and running. checking out your application is as simple as starting an apache process and clicking the link, and the UI is stunningly beautiful. Thats said the one Con that i've seen is the pricing scheme. they have free accounts but the chasm between free and paid is immense. Free for 5 users,but if you have 6 users its $240 a MONTH... there is no middle ground, its either free or unreasonably expensive for a small startup team that isn't making any money off our software yet.

RK

Richard K.

Great Learning/Tinkering Platform

As someone who is often doing projects on the go and owns a "carrying" laptop that has less storage than a single standalone IDE off the bat, I enjoy Codenvy's ability to allow me to tinker with new languages and learn without the commitment of downloading a new IDE. Plus it seems to be more responsive on my 2GB of ram and 2GHZ Dualcore than that of IDEs that aren't in the cloud. My biggest complaint, however, is the double edged sword that is the complexity that the dashboard includes. Its great if I am operating on more complex projects, but I find it obstructive when doing smaller projects where I just need to get in and out.

DK

Dalton K.

Amazing IDE for Students, Hobbyists, and Pro's alike.

Pros Codenvy is an amazing web IDE. It cuts out the desktop environment and allows coding from anywhere without worrying about having to transfer files and other programs from PC to PC. And with the amazing variety of VM's you can make anything you could dream of. Cons Even with all of the good, there is some not so good. On the first few uses it is a bit confusing to run your code and start projects and use it in general. But after a bit of messing around, you begin to get used to it and can use it like a pro. All in all, codenvy is one of the best solutions out there for any developer, QT, or anyone looking to learn.

MA

Mehdi A.

It's good, but needs more.

My opinion about Codenvy is not completly defined, I first was excited about the free plan, unlimited workspaces with private option that's great for me ! But then I moved forwared to discover what it offers, I created a PHP project and worked fine, but when I moved to Ruby (I'm actually learning Ruby on rails) the application won't run. I searched a little bit in the docs but didn't any solution. I would love to if there's some tutorials about how to create project like Ruby On Rails, php frameworks (laravel, cakephp....) Just how to create the project because this is why I choosed Codenvy: To not care about setup... Click and run!

LV

Lior V.

Tried codenvy as potential online dev platform

I found Codenvy to be the best free online platform available at the moment after trying a few alternatives. It seems the project is emulating eclipse, and shows alot of promise. Some things were unclear, like how to setup a web project, deployment of WARS, and testing of GWT based code that isn't straight Java... but its a terrific start, and I can't wait to see how this project evolves. In particular, my project was setup in eclipse and was not Maven/Ant based, so it will take some fiddling to figure out how to make it work... but if you're using a common build plaform LIKE maven/ant I'm sure you'll have much better luck.