dbForge Edge Logo

Suggested alternatives

caspio
kintone
zoho-creator

We are glad that this kind of tool exists. Comparing same table from 2 databases is so great.
Difficult to find the errors. Anoying potential threat messages.
Cannot export connections to SSMS/back them up. Has problems with changing the database on an existing tab, to a different database in Azure.
How many times have you had to import CSV data and found that SSMS just made a mess out of things.

Dinand V.

Can't do without it

I'm using dbForge on a daily basis and to be frank, I can't do my job without it. When I'm on a server without it, I install at least the express edition because the way dbForge supports writing queries is unmatched.

Pros

It's a one stop tool for my database tasks

Cons

Sometimes it crashes when I accidentally press F10

SM

Scott M.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Great SSMS replacement for MySQL newbies

So, for the record I'm an MSSQL guy from way back, and SSMS is my friend. I've been using it forever, and I think it's perhaps one of the best free pieces of software on the planet given what you can do with it. I like MSSQL/SSMS so much, and I'm so stubborn, that I stupidly connect to MSSQL when I am doing PHP pages. I took on a new client recently, and they are a MySQL shop, so I had to find a tool...

Pros

I love being able to completely copy a database from one server to another with a few clicks, which makes it super quick to keep my dev environment in sync with the live database. The code completion feature is so much quicker than SSMS, I love that you can set the delay, and it saves me a lot of typing in addition to keeping the case consistent within my SQL. The Visual Studio Blue makes it feel like...

Cons

The "Edit View" feature is a little clunky--you cannot edit SQL directly in the SQL tab, and when you try to do it in the Query Text tab, it constantly throws errors as you type. Sometimes you just need to do a quick edit to a view and it's a bit frustrating to deal with. I found myself opening up a new SQL window, copying my code, pasting into the new tab, modifying and copying back to the Query Text tab. There has to be an easier way.

CV

Chuck V.

We tried, it failed.

It was ok, but settings and config were not intuitive and had to contact support several times and they were not very helpful.

Pros

it has syncing and backup built in and it looked to be a better product.

Cons

it only ran on windows, alot of our devs use macOS.

KS

Kevin S.

Printing, 201-500 employees

A great solution for MySQL development

I've worked with Microsoft SQL Management Studio for most of my career. When presented with a set of projects which required MySQL administration I found the tool provided for MySQL to be pretty poor. dbForge provides a familiar interface to what I was used to for SQL Server, but targeting MySQL. We use dbForge for management and developing all of our MySQL solutions. It is fantastic.

Pros

The platform works great, replacing the admin interface provided by MySql. DbForge provides the tools and familiar interface features need to perform all the admin and development we need.

Cons

There is some instability in the product, experienced infrequently, which causes it to hang for 20 seconds or so occasionally. Typically it recovers fine. When the platform does crash, it generally starts right back up where I left off without any loss.

Jhonathan d.

Financial Services, 51-200 employees

It is a necessary tool for professionals

Pros

Intellisense is fantastic. You considerably reduce the amount of words typed

Cons

For large and complex queries, hardware consumption is something that needs to be improved.

JB

Jon B.

Computer Software, self-employed

One of the few tools I can't do without!

I love it. I've used everything from SQuirreL SQL Client (not bad, open source java) to SSMS to TOAD and this is far and away the best product I've used. It's not even close.

Pros

dbForge Studio is essential for my team as it saves time and money for all of our developers no matter how much experience they have with SQL, Database maintenance and development (DDL), function & view creation/modification, etc. For my novice developers, dbForge has great tools to allow the developers to visually create a query using an intuitive UI. Once they create the query, they can examine...

Cons

We are restricted to installing on one machine. All of my developers use more than one computer. I myself have three. It's just the nature of the business and it's a real hassle not to be able to install on as many machines as I, as a single developer, use daily.

RS

Rudy S.

dbForge Studio provides lots of features at a competitive price

Devart (formerly CoreLabs) has been expanding from their roots in the database driver business (I've used their MySQL .NET data provider for years) into providing a complete suite of database management tools. dbForge Studio for MySQL Standard is their mid-tier product for MySQL management (also available for SQL Server and Oracle). The standard edition includes all the basic features you'd expect...

SA

Sundar A.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Daily Usage Tool

The Test Data Loading is a wonderful tool where we can just load about 100K to 500K Records without any issues. This feature has helped us performing some initial tuning to the Queries. Various Editions really help the features that each members uses.

Pros

This tool became a part of daily used product for members of our company. Few team members really complemented me for showing them such a powerful and amazing tool. The easy of usage of this tool is making our team save anywhere between 2 to 3 Hours every day. Some of our Developers now can't live without this tool. The Express Edition is very helpful for small companies QA Team. As they just need to see the data and don't really need to write any complex Queries.

Cons

When we have one product such as SQL Server and we want to buy MySQL Database tool. It would be nice if we can get some discount. If we need to buy all the Four Database tool, we need to buy them separately. If they can be bundled, that would be great.

Derek B.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

Don’t bother looking at anything else

Pros

Easy to use. Stable Feature full Showing the foreign key table when clicking the foreign key is awesome.

Cons

The database diagram tool could be improved. More like the “cat” competitor would be great. This one is for the postgresql one only, but in its current state it is not for daily use because it is only 50% complete. I really hope that changes soon.

Facilities Services, 51-200 employees

dbForge Studio

We do not have the capacity to do replicated server but with dbForge, everything seems to be a breeze.

Pros

The DATA and SCHEMA Compare-Synchronization feature is an absolute game-changer. The T-SQL Debugger really saves us a great deal of development time in building our server-side data processing logic.

Cons

Nothing I should say as the least, other than releasing a MAC version.

LY

Larry Y.

Mining & Metals, 51-200 employees

All the features of Redgate for a Fraction of the price

As noted above, we obtained dbForge solely for the database schema synchronization feature. That feature gives us the ability to migrate database changes from DEV to QA to PROD environments quickly and efficiently. However, it didn't take long before we found other benefits to the dbForge Studio product. We found that migrating test data with the data sync feature saved a ton of time when we had...

Pros

The database schema comparison and synchronization tool was the big draw for us. We needed an efficient way to migrate schema changes from DEV to QA to PROD environments. dbForge met this need and made doing so a breeze. It even generates the SQL code necessary to accomplish the sync and lets you preview/edit the code if you disagree with the way that it intends to sync.

Cons

If there were one thing that I find a tiny bit lacking in dbForge, it is the way in which you define data sources. You have to redefine the server name, username, password for each database even if those databases exist on the same SQL server. This differs from SSMS where you connect to a single server and it attempts to use the same credentials to access every database on that server. It would be nice if the system had a copy/clone data source button to make adding new data sources from the same server a little more efficient.

DB

Dexie B.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

A superb SQL Server database management studio

DbForge Studio for SQL Server is an awesome tool! The Data Generation capabilities alone will save you hours of design and development time.

Pros

User Interface: - Similar to Visual Studio 2017+ with multiple themes - Nice uncluttered interface even the start page Database Creation: - Similar to SQL Management Studio by Microsoft but the user interface is organized more neatly. Related functions such as Indexes, Constraints, Statistics, Triggers, Data, and Columns can be accessed directly from tabs in the design view. Best Features: ...

Cons

Limited functionality to access/update database properties compared to SQL Management Studio. This is not a deal breaker since setting/viewing specific database properties is uncommon during database design.

VS

Vaughn S.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Excellent DB management product for MS-SQL

Mananging development and support of multiple databases accross a number of different client's servers for various projects was a huge boost to our productivity. In some situations where it is necessary to help a client and they only have SSMS, I feel totally handicapped.

Pros

Ease of use in making various DB changes, creating new objects, and developing/testing stored procedures, including a powerful DB object search facility.

Cons

Editing and rebuilding tables with foreign key constraints had some limitations, but that has been fixed in recent versions.

SM

Scott M.

Computer Software, self-employed

Great package for DBAs and developers

My software almost always interacts with a database, so having a tool that makes those easier is at the top of my list. dbForge Studio fits most of my needs (and could fit all of them, at a higher price tag), and it's very easy to use.

Pros

dbForge Studio is like SSMS on steroids! Tons of features, and I especially like the tabbed interface that allows me to see multiple views very easily. The Table Build feature is much more intuitive than the SSMS interface, and the ability to easily add indexes and constraints is nice. The data export is more advanced than SSMS and allows me to tailor exactly the data I want to dump from my database.

Cons

Several features that I consider essential aren't included in the Standard version, with the most glaring being the inability to create scripts for multiple objects, as you can with the Tasks - Generate Scripts feature of SSMS, and the lack of a Profiler. You can get these if you pay for the Professional version, but as those were really the ONLY thing in the Pro version I needed, I chose instead to just use the Standard and use SSMS when I needed to create scripts or use the profiler

AB

Arian B.

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

DBForge Studio for MYSQL Enterprise

For the past few weeks I been trying to find the best integrated development environment (IDE) for MySQL. I evaluated most of the popular IDEs out there for database administration and in my opinion none of them compare to DBForge Studio for MySQL from Devart. It has the most complete set of features available and a well-designed user interface which makes database management an easy task. User Interface DBForge...

Pros

- Good user interface - Complete set of features

Cons

- Really not any cons using this software

FB

Frank B.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

MYSQL dbForge is a great product

I use MYSQL on a lot of products and I use the product to manage all the MYSQL databases. It helps speed up my day and make my database design faster.

Pros

Advanced features for the price. The ability to easily deploy schema, data and comparisons feature alone is worth the money. You would pay 5x or more to get that same feature from RedGate (I don't believe RedGate even has a MYSQL product). Also full featured environment very easily with back up restore, diagrams and more. Blows away MYSQL Workbench.

Cons

The font is very small and in some places almost unreadable. Doesn't behave on high res monitors. I do get some crashes and have to restart the application about 1x week or so.

AB

Akos B.

Information Services, self-employed

Great tool overall

Overall, the best DB manager I found so far and I'm sticking to for years.

Pros

Have been using different DB managers over years and tried all existing major ones for Windows, and stuck with dbForge. It's versatile enough and most importantly, has great UI and works with minimal errors, unlike some other products. It has also great tools for data export/import.

Cons

Glitches can be still found here and there, especially in error handling. Some more tools for copying, restoring databases would be good to see in the Standard version.

TA

Troy A.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Best software for SQL development

Not a day goes by that I don't edit a stored procedure, write an SQL query, or edit live data using dbForge Studio. It's a no-brainer..

Pros

dbForge brings all the tools needed to administer and develop for not only Microsoft SQL Server, but many other dbs. It's nice having them all in one consistent interface and the software is very easy to use.

Cons

My only gripe about dbForge is that it's only available for Microsoft Windows.

JM

Jeffrey M.

Insurance, 5,001-10,000 employees

dbForge assisting in data auditing

Pros

This product is easy to use to connect to Oracle dbs which we have running. The trial versions are complete enough to be able to complete coding tasks and monitoring. The intelliisense built in makes working with oracle a bit more easy with less resource intensive operations. You can also use the built in 'unit testing' modules to create and run tests efficiently. All settings and previous worked on files are automatically saved.

Cons

Not many cons a bout using the software. Integration with current software suite is fast. Hoping to get the full suite of dbForge through company.

AE

Antony E.

Warehousing, 1,001-5,000 employees

dbForge Studio

Pros

I particularly like the data view and in table editing. Also the line by line stored proc debugger, and havent seen any other like this and has saved me many days finding problems in procedures / related data.

Cons

Can be a bit slow to start up. Some of my collegues hav found it a bit slow generally

Richard S.

Tobacco, 10,001+ employees

Perfect tool for schema&data comparisions

I'm a long term user of their SQL Complete plugin for SSMS, and utilise the additional features in dbForge Studio for managing deployments and migrations. I find the tools much more effective and reliable that the equivelent features built into Visual Studio.

Pros

schema compare data compare refactoring/intellisense database diagramming

Cons

occasional instability, crashes (but no worse than any other comparable tool SSMS etc)

MH

Maarten H.

dbForge for MySql and MariaDB makes your life much easier

The software works easily from the start and mostly needs no explanation. The enterprise features gives you more control, like copying databases. The visual query builder helps with quickly building complex queries.

Pros

This software give you total control over the MySql and MariaDB environment. It is extremely easy to create a database, export and import data.

Cons

It would be nice if the software supported more database platforms. Now you have to buy dbForge for every platform.

GH

Gontran H.

Computer Software, self-employed

Verry happy with the software

I'm a 15-year Access developer and for the last 2 years I'm using SQL server as backend. I was struggling to get a product that can help me develop as easy as Access. Now with this software I found myself developing faster and give me joy because I found it almost as easy as Access. I had Red gate SQL prompt and was happy with it until I found DbForge studio. Noe I really have all the features I was looking for.

Pros

Simplify my developpment, almost as easy as Microsoft Access.

Cons

Not totaly compatible with a HD screen. (but the support told me it's coming in the next version).

JE

Jim E.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

dbForge gives a robust feature set without breaking your budget

This is a must-use tool for our developers. It is easy to pick up and use. It is great product for the prcie paid.

Pros

Easy to setup and use. The ability to easily export and import to and from different data sources is vital.

Cons

Would like a better performance tuner, perhaps index and temporary table suggestions. Lack of monitoring or performance analytics.

RH

Robert H.

Program Development, self-employed

Satisfaction Sheet

while developping software with intensive database access it iss important, to have a database browser. dbForge Studio is far better then phpmyadmin. It supports developping database functions with a step by step debugger.

Pros

there is a debugger for mysql functions

Cons

generate a backup-batch with all the needed informations to schedule a backup. (credentials, ports, etc).