Iguana Logo

Integration Engine for healthcare information exchange

Iguana Reviews

Suggested alternatives

edi-hq
eiplatform
zapier

Customer service is awesome and we enjoy using the software.
Logs can be slow to browse, and Iguana sometimes hangs, but I suspect that's because of our infrastructure, and large amounts of data being processed. Channel names restricted to 30 characters.
The dependence on Windows Time Server has been an problem for us. Looking for a Linux version of Iguana.
We've had issues with the large number error. The sync manager hasn't worked properly for us since the beginning.

Edward W.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Long Time Iguana User

Iguana helped us to overcome a variety of business challenges and to resolve some data aggregation issues without a lot of extra staffing. The integrations typically were brought up in a timely manner, and I cannot stress enough how easy the product is to support/manage.

Pros

Iguana has served me well in multiple positions as an integration engine. I have used it as part of a product I supported in a previous position, and it ran without issues for my entire tenure (we used Iguana for ADT/orders interfaces). With another client, we used Iguana to manage multiple ADT interfaces, to create custom CCDAs, and to aggregate/manipulate data from flat file sources. The development and administrative tools are excellent, and I couldn't recommend them enough.

Cons

I think for small-midsize clients, if they do not have this already, a cloud hosted solution would be ideal.

Hi Edward, thank you for being a long-time customer, and for the wonderful review. We appreciate your suggestion!

GK

Greg K.

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 employees

Iguana Review

Iguana has allowed us to implement interfaces much faster then we could previously. Interfaceware is forward thinking, making positive changes often in route to an better and easier to use engine.

Pros

The best feature for our team is the development and debugging in lua which can be done while you code, allowing for fast development and debugging.

Cons

The use of Chameleon for creating and editing VMD's.

We sincerely appreciate your thoughtful and honest feedback, Greg.

sa

stewart a.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1,001-5,000 employees

Iguana Top Dog for HL7

Mostly very positive HL7 dev is a breexe mostly and even non standard HL7 ()I wrote a custom sftp project) was easy to implement, the API is reliable and the API docs were easy to follow.) It seems to have most of what I'd need for HL7, lack of access to java libraries is a dissappointment, but I did not need them for the current project. Java acces is good simply becasue of the huge range of libraries available for custom integrations, I have written libraries for security, email, encryption, custom messge construction, date handling, PDF manipulation and extraction of petient data all of which requied java APIs.

Pros

The IDE is second to none for rapid HL7 development. The ability to immediately see the result of code on data in the right panel is so good I don't understand why other platforms don't employ it or similar. However, this also leads to the one issue with the approach. If you have an integration that employs a database and the code is a self managing state engine, it becomes very diffcult to test as moving the cursor re-invokes the entire code and therefore changes state. Now that I know this, I can work with it, but it took almost 2 days to realise that that is what was happening inside a fairly straightforward state manager!!

Cons

Configuration management is not separeated from deployable project. There is not way to build configs for environments and deploy a channel with the channe lof config or the internal integration config out of the box. You can with careful process and management achive this, but its too open to lazy or bad practise. I did come up with a way to achieve close to what I want though. I imported...

Thank you so much for your detailed review, Stewart. We appreciate your honest feedback.

MW

Matt W.

Medical Practice, 201-500 employees

Excellent HL7 Message Interface Engine

We are using Iguana to take an HL7 source of authority and send to 6 downstream systems. This includes multiple transformations to enable prior encoding from the legacy system to be maintained such that the accumulated multiple years of history data looks as though it came from the legacy system. Excellent and powerful product!

Pros

The speed of message processing is superior. We reached a high water mark of 57 messages/second --- and I firmly believe the Iguana engine had the capacity for several times that throughput (it can only process at the speed of the sending source). I also appreciated the support of InterfaceWare which went above and beyond. Dduring our implementation, we were extended support above and beyond our expected support window several times. This enabled our organization to overcome a difficult situation on a weekend deployment (a Sunday).

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. We have not explored the more advanced features of the Iguana software such as JSON, API's, etc.

Hi Matt, we can't thank you enough for your kind words and positive feedback about Iguana. Your positive review means a lot to us and lets us know we're on the right track.

CV

Crystal V.

Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

Iguana

Customers send us their data and we parse it out into a SQL insert query using a VMD and insert it into a database to be used by our product.

Pros

I like that we can setup a channel to use for our internal software testing to generate mocked up data and customize it for our needs. The ease of using LUA to write scripts to manipulate data before we import it into our systems has been a huge bonus and takes customization for our customers to another level without having to change our software to meet their needs.

Cons

I hope to see a release where an update can be made for all shared lua's accross multiple instances and a way to see which channels are actually using the shared lua's and its not just listed as require in case its needed in the future. I also hope to see a way to search for a specific line, field etc across all channels lua's. All of our channels do not have "standardized" scripts so when we find a way to better accomplish something, it would be nice to search and see who all is actually using the code.

Hi Crystal, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We sincerely appreciate your thoughtful and honest feedback and your suggestions.

AL

Artur L.

Financial Services, 201-500 employees

Very Versatile Integration Engine

Pros

I find Iguana very versatile, allowing you to adapt it to any business need and/or solution. The availability of various Inputs and Outputs gives a limitless possibility for implementation of various solutions between third parties/local systems and databases. Scripting UI is also very good, it's quite impressive that it allows me to preview output/results on the fly as code logic is written (even including preview of Database queries). Deployment is also very easy, it takes minutes to copy one instance to another with very little changes required. Debugging and Logging is my favorite feature in Iguana as it logs every stage of the input to the very end of output, this makes it very easy to debug issues.

Cons

Some extra logging/statistic/analytics features like - being able to utilize existing logs to review certain patterns/graphs of (for example - traffic per day/week, most common input/message type) would be useful.

Hi Artur, we appreciate you taking the time to write this detailed review. We are always striving to make improvements and appreciate your suggestions!

SE

Steve E.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Iguana helped us to created an integration solution tailored to our business.

It has been a great learning experience. We have implemented Over 200 channels, and they are easy to maintain and troubleshoot. We are exploring new uses for Iguana in our business, and hope to expand to other departments.

Pros

Flexible. Scripting allows for fine control over every detail Example channels allow for quick creation with minor tweaks, and also as a learning tool Browser based, so can be accessed anywhere without an install. Easy to upgrade, with very little downtime. Support is AMAZING!

Cons

It is not a drag-n-drop application, so there can be a learning curve for someone not familiar with scripting. Analytics could be better (and are being discussed for upcoming release).

Hi Steve, we really appreciate you taking the time to write this detailed review!

JM

Josh M.

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

Iguana is easy to use and manage, while keeping data flowing efficiently

We process >20 million HL7 messages daily over >2500 channels and Iguana keeps doesn't lag behind. Iguana has been a great, reliable, and stable product for our company for more than a decade.

Pros

The ability to accept from multiple data type/sources/protocols is critical to our success. Also the queuing feature has been core to managing data flow and delays that sometimes happen.

Cons

User management is a bit dated and simplistic in contrast to our current user and password management standards. Active directory integration would be a great improvement.

Hi Josh, thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. We are always striving to make improvements and appreciate your suggestions.

Chris A.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Iguana Is Unmatched

Day one I had never heard of Iguana or HL7. I am now a certified expert and Iguana has allowed me to expand our company's offerings ten fold.

Pros

In one word, Flexibility. We work with HL7, EDI, FHIR, other APIs, flat files like CSVs, etc. There is very little we have run into that we could not accomplish with Iguana.

Cons

Trivial things, like I wish there was a dark theme and the ability to change the font.

Chris, thank you for your very positive review! We hope to see you using Iguana for many more years to come.

Nicolas P.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Great product, easy to learn, reliable and responsive customer support.

Pros

The overall product is very easy to use and learn how to manage. The customer support group has been wonderful over the last few years of using their products.

Cons

The high price for the initial purchase was somewhat difficult at first, but as we continued to use the product we found it worthwhile. There are few reporting features built-in to the product.

Hi Nicolas - it's great to hear that you have had a five-star experience working with Iguana and our support team. We appreciate your business and positive feedback. Thank you!

MI

Mark I.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 201-500 employees

Easy-to-use Integration

My experience with Iguana has been generally positive. The negatives come from (a) our ageing infrastructure, and (b) the inadequate setup of channels by my predecessor.

Pros

It is easy to set up channels that send/receive data to/from a variety of sources, in a variety of formats. The dashboard is easy to use, and provides a helpful summary of activities. Customisable translators mean that we're not restricted to "out-of-the-box" features, and can incorporate complex integrations.

Cons

Hi Mark, we are always striving to improve and more importantly, we want to improve. Thank you for your honest feedback.

JA

Jireh A.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

New Iguana User

Iguana has allowed us to integrate and exchange data almost out of the box. It did not take a lot of time to get started and implement channels to get started with our business as quickly as possible.

Pros

Iguana has a great dashboard to outline the current status of all your communications. It is also incredibly versatile and can do as little or as much you need, including giving allowing you to design web APIs to retrieve or update data. The security measures implemented follow great guidelines to help with many different compliance requirements.

Cons

Iguana's integration with Git is single-branch based. It would be a great update if its integration can fit modern workflows that can use more branches.

Hi Jireh, thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with Iguana and for your suggestion.

NB

Nick B.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Ease of use, large scalability, extensive features and support second to none

it has completed our software needed for customer for HL7 message transfer, whenever something else is needed, the support team is happy and fast reacting to help us,

Pros

We currently use the product for a very small portion of what it can do, but it does this seamlessly, the integrations we have done have had no issues with erroring in the applications itself, whenever an error occurs outside iguana fault-finding is easy and the re-trying actions or testing is extremely easy

Cons

None that we currently know of, it serves our purpose completely,

Thank you for your glowing review, Nick. We are glad to hear Iguana is meeting all of your business needs!

BS

Brett S.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Simple and effective on the surface; robust under the hood.

Pros

For the most part I was able to install a demo version and verify the needed functionality in a few short days without much guidance. The interface is very clean and intuitive. It's simple to set up a installation for basic needs and for more advanced setups there are resources available. Technical support is quick and consistent.

Cons

I had one larger issue where I had identified the problem and brought it to support where, in retrospect, it should have been an obvious quick fix. This lead to advanced troubleshooting that extended over some time only for me to go back to support and finally get the answer I was looking for.

Hi Brett, thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us.

JM

James M.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Iguana is an excellent product.

We started using Iguana for HL7 interfaces. We now additionally use it to report server health, software heath and to assist with implementation tasks.

Pros

This software allows for easy deployment development and troubleshooting.

Cons

The only real gripe I might have is that the releases come with quite a lot of frequency, other than that Iguana has met all my needs.

Hi James, thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. We sincerely appreciate it!

CH

Cheri H.

Iguana Integration Engine

With Iguana you can easily establish interfaces within less than 3 business days. Interfaceware provides upgrades that actually work with very few bugs. Interfaceware provides excellent prompt service.

Pros

Iguana is easy to use, feature rich and stable. Service is impeccable.

Cons

The switch from Python scripting language to Lua, which does not seem to be as robust.

Thank you for the review, Cheri. We appreciate your feedback.

RS

Ray S.

Information Technology and Services, 5,001-10,000 employees

Iguana Training

Interfaceware support is fantastic, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] always is able to lead us in the right direction. thank you

Pros

thanks for the latest training session, always learn something new, appreciate it

Cons

Migration using HA Proxy script if very difficult given our environment is basically a lot of all over the place.

Hi Ray, we are so grateful for your five-star review! We will share this with the team and let them know to keep up the excellent work.

MS

Michael S.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

HL7 Integration for Healthcare

Support was very helpful and informative. The sales staff worked with us to provide test channels so we could build our interfaces and make sure they worked before go live.

Pros

We were able to filter data from various sources to match the needs of our systems.

Cons

The learning curve for building and testing various channels takes time.

Hi Michael, thank you so much for this five-star review. We appreciate your business and will continue to support you.

JE

Jonathane E.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1,001-5,000 employees

Great product, reliable, performant and easy to use

Pros

We've used Iguana as the integration engine for over 10 years within many hospitals. It is easy to install, configure and maintain. I cant remember the last time we hit a bug or had an issue. Overall, we are very happy with this product.

Cons

Its difficult to think of any 'Cons' because we've had so few issues.

You have made our day with this glowing review! Thank you.

MC

Maynard C.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Interfaceware Iguana Review

Both the product and the company have been a pleasure to work with. The implementation team delivered the initial configuration with no concerns and the solution was incredibly stable. Over the years, additional projects with the team have been just as successful.

Pros

~ Ease of use ~ Versatile ~ Extremely stable

Cons

~ Lua Developers are common on the market

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us, Maynard!

BC

Brian C.

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 employees

Iguana handles the job and support is excellent

Pros

The ability to scale out easily and without the need for more infrastructure

Cons

There are a few issues with the HA set up that we do not have with non HA when it come to reliability of syncing worker pairs.

Hi Brian, thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with Iguana! Please contact us at support@interfaceware.com if you need additional assistance.

HJ

Hart J.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Iguana Makes our HL7 Integrations Easier

Great! Customer service is awesome and we enjoy using the software.

Pros

I like the ability to easily customize and make adjustments to our interfaces. With the ability to drill down into the data, it helps a ton.

Cons

I would like to see more training resources available for the team.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with Iguana, Hart.

Medical Devices, 10,001+ employees

Excellent product and company to work with

Great experience with Iguana and Interfaceware. Very capable and valuable product. Team is very supportive and easy to work with.

Pros

- Easy to use with fast learning curve - Lots of functionality - Easy to deploy - Hosted on our platforms so enables US and OUS deployments both on-premise and cloud-based - Terrific company support - Reasonable prices

Cons

- Could expand functionality with additional capabilities and monitoring. I believe they're working on a new version that will likely help address this.

We sincerely appreciate your thoughtful and honest feedback. Thank you for your review!

CS

Chris S.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Iguana review

Pros

Iguana's customer support is excellent!

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to find references for Lua script, but the Iguana support makes up for it in that they can always assist when/if needed.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience working with Iguana, Chris!

BS

Brian S.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Iguana

Pros

I like the ease of the Web Interface and support for Git Integration.

Cons

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us, Brian.