Katalon Studio Logo

Katalon Studio

Automated testing tool for web, mobile & desktop application

Katalon Studio Reviews

User ratings

4.4

• Likelihood to recommend8.54/10

See full reviews by rating

Pros

Cons

It's been really awesome for people on test automation teams. The coverage it provides with respect to the platforms is superb.

Harshit B.

The community in katalon is great, its a small yet growing community with lots of willing and helpful users. I myself have become an avid user of the tool and the forum.

HP

Harry P.

It is available free of cost, being an open source application, and also a great interface to use. It provides relatively good features for mobile automation.

Also, tests are always failing in the headless browser and there isn't enough information to investigate what the problem is.

Updates for the software could be with errors when tests couldn't be executed.

KK

Katerina K.

Difficult with the backend testing and doesnt support all languages.

jv

Visual Studio Code-logocaret

Visual Studio Code

ReadyAPI-logocaret

ReadyAPI

How would you rate Katalon Studio?

Future of automated testing

Transcript

Anshuman B.: Hi, I'm Anshuman and I'm a security engineer. Today, I'm here to review Katalon Studio,...

Very Easy

I used katalon studio for 3 years and its so amazing.I'm a selenium basic user to make an automate testing, one day i think traditional selenium so hard to implement and unstable when selenium was upgraded.When i meet katalon studio,its like bring me from the dark to light. I can explore my skill more,be more creative and think to create something new. Katalon support all my idea to develop complex automatic testing. Katalon make my vision more clearly about automated testing and how to implement with special project.it because every project has different needs when decided to build automated testing.

Pros

Easy to use and merge all needs automated testing in one environment.

Cons

its to heavy. i hope it will more light and more faster when run start at first time

Free Version - Good for intended purpose

Pros

I like that is was easy to download/install. The tutorials were good in helping me set up my initial project and test cases. I was brand new to automated testing so speaking from experience, I'd say this is a good tool for people who are new to automated testing and have little scripting experience. The point and click functionality is great because then people who are more on the business side can help get test cases set up and then turn to the developers if they need further help.

Cons

It could have just been the application I was trying to automate, but it seemed like for most objects I had to go in an manually update the xpath. The xpath recorded didn't seem to work. I think this tool is pretty easy to use for basic test cases, but once you get into more complicated test cases it can get very cumbersome. I had good luck setting up the cases for my web application, and once they are set up the run with no problem. However, I had 0 luck setting up the mobile device testing. Again, it could have been the application itself, but there were a lot of extensions I needed to install in order to even get the device to plug in. Once I did, the point and click functionality did not seem as user friendly as the web application point and record functionality.

Great feature rich automation tool for beginners to advanced level testers

We're trying to grown a test automation department, from a non-technical manual QA team. Katalon Studio is allowing our manual testers to contribute to the automation effort, while allowing automation testers to utilise their Java and Webdriver skills.

Pros

Recorder and Playback for beginners, Keyword Driven for intermediates, or Java/Selenium Webdriver for advanced usage. Direct Integration with Git, Jira, Browserstack, Docker, Kobiton, Jenkins, and a console mode allowing Integration with Azure Build pipelines, or anything supporting command line execution. Supports Page Object Model, full Java , Groovy, and Selenium Webdriver syntax directly Based on Eclipse IDE which some will find familiar. Cucumber support for BDD /ATDD Extendable with external with java package imports API testing facility rivalling Postman built in Fully documented features Developers listen to the community

Cons

Growing community, but still in its infancy Analytics tool but still in Beta Support for many integrations, but requires a lot of research to get these working properly Lack of support for .NET languages (although hardly a compromise)

Amazing!

Pros

This software was chosen by me because it's so simple and intuitive to use! Everyone can use it if it doesn't now programming! Love it!

Cons

Difficult with dynamic id's and when we try to build a suite of tests the results are not the real ones. Example: 10 tests individually they pass when I try a build them all in a suite 80% of them fail. This is very boring.

Best among other tools in the industry

Great & excellent experience. Excited to leverage the tool's features anytime!!!

Pros

Ease of Use - This is one of the most reason I like this tool as it makes everyone as automation engineers that includes manual testers and subject matter experts Less Maintenance - Features like "Auto-healing Smart Xpath" brings your maintenance down Continuous Improvements - I could see consistency in continuous improvements on various features and functionalities of this tool

Cons

Integrations with performance test automation. Though it is a different area but needs to think on how can a single test case be used for various purpose that includes performance testing tool

Didn't see a tool that provides more flexible features like Katalon

Well with katalon. really loved it

Pros

1. Integrations with GIT, Bitbucket, Slack 2. Data binding 3. variable binding 4. Execution settings 5. Compatible with other languages even though it is running using groovy 6. Profiles 7. Data files

Cons

1. Better to have options to connect multiple databases with windows auth mode 2. Execution reports in katalonanalytics seem not running properly 3. API automation report doesn't have the flexibility to trace the issues easily we need to do many clicks

Automation for mobile apps

I had used the standalone Appium for a while in my free time. When I started a project that required mobile app automation, I wanted to produce automated tests as quickly as possible. I discovered Katalon and was able to setup numerous automated tests within months, complete with logging. I appreciate that I didn't have to write a lot from scratch, and I was able to focus more on testing.

Pros

Full IDE with; CSS/mobile element inspection, debugging tools, and built-in logging for tests. Easy to use for beginners and facilitates rapid development for advanced users. Active support community. Most streamlined Appium setup.

Cons

The user interface feels slow at times. The Eclipse based IDE is limited to Java and Groovy.

My go-to app for Test automation for the web

being allergic to super-coding, I find Katalon studio friendly to QAs and data encoders, but can also be flexible enough to support other extensions or code snippets from other libraries.

Pros

Overall, the experience with record-play-customize code-replay has is reminiscent of its more expensive counterpart/s. But overall it's better than the other automation tools i used so far. online help and resources are bountiful. Object repository, test collection, input data files are some of my favorite places to work around with. there are other features which i havent explored yet, like mobile and API automation.

Cons

There are certain customizations that i need with the software which are not yet supported (like full-page web screenshot and data file output), so our team is left to the care of old-school programming gurus on the web. the features that i miss is not a deal-breaker though, work arounds are fine by me for now.

Easy way to automate the basic regression tests for web application

Pros

- Availability of tutorials - Ability to design Test Cases using Editor with the pre-defined set of commands - Comfortable UI for Dev & QA team (it has Eclipse-like interface) - It is a feature-rich solution to address most of the tasks - Ability to use the tool for Web UI tests, REST API tests and mobile testing

Cons

- Reporting for BDD tests should be improved. It should display more meaningful information about the steps performed in a readable way (BDD test looks actually more meaningful than a report - that is weird).

Katalon is a Great Tool for an Automation Engineer, All heavy lifting is already done the this tool.

Overall this is the best Automation Tool I have ever used in last 20 years.

Pros

I can use my Selenium and Java experiences. Learning is very easy. You can do anything you need for automation including GUI, API, Mobile in one tool. Very productive for Automation.

Cons

Having difficulties to integrate with AWS Device Farm

Review from beginner in automation.

So far it helps in regression testing we have 3 environment for test and the cycle of deployment become more easy since we can automate it now I started from using the recording then from that we familiarizing the code.

Pros

This have a lot of option to explore in testing: It has recording. Has Manual and Script code. Like other automation there's lot of info in google but this one is the easy to understand.

Cons

I am in the Philippines and my coworker is in the US. Most of my friends in same field work on other automation I only have one friend can understand Katalon in short I want to get in larger community so I get more information easily on working on this.

Katalon Studio broke the bordom of my WFH habits....

Pros

Once I started to use Katalon Studio, questions came to mind like, why haven't I used this tool before? I realized that was an utter waste of time trying to piece together pieces of software Jigsaw, dealing with inherited and unwanted bugs which have not stopped creeping in my software solution & presentations Katalon has been a game changer, it broke the boredom of my WFH habits. I always recommend Katalon to my clients and net workers who shared the same feeling with me. So my advice is as follows: Stop wasting your money, time & efforts if you want a onestopshop software #automation tool that does it all like katalon Studio try it for yourself and you will see what I mean.....

Cons

Nothing I disliked about Katalon, the only thing I found unfair is the massive hypes about other tools who impose extra work with unnecessary time to solve their bugs. While Katalon sitting & undiscovered by those who do not know of such a killer out there in the market that is to say, onestopshop software test automation solution.

My Review

This tool is a huge benefit it my testing of my companies software product. It has a lot of capabilities that help me test our product in multiple ways.

Pros

What I like the most is how easy it is to use Katalon. The functionality of the product is simple and easy to use. Also, the documentation that Katalon has is really impressive and useful.

Cons

The integration of Katalon Analytics isn't the greatest. A lot of the times Katalon Analytics doesn't show all of the information from my test suite. Also, my test suite doesn't always show in Katalon Analytics or it takes a long time to update with my results.

Katalon for QA Automation

Katalon for me has been the perfect choice for my organization. It has allowed me to implement an automation solution that co workers with no experience can pick up quickly. As the company focus expands into mobile I know Katalon will be the tool I can use as well.

Pros

The software is easily setup and implemented. It is great that I can automate Web, Mobile and API's all with in one tool set.

Cons

The forum responses from Katalon are very slow if there is a response at all.

A good place to start is Katalon

I was reducing regression testing time from days to hours. any new build could be smoke tested quickly.

Pros

How easy it is to get started and put it to real use not just some dummy project. From Day one I was able to create test cases for the in house application by Day two I was reducing regression testing time for exsisting applications

Cons

Updates that require browser updates also.

Powerfull, robust and easy to use

I think Katalon Studio is one of the most powerfull and best-option tool nowadays. it is codeless orientes, that means new or non-technical users could find Katalon a good option to adopt in the test automation world, Its fully of features, it is being updated and fixed everymonth which mean that the Katalon team is working hard on this tools to improve it on each release.

Pros

Record and Spy, script parametrization and variables make it easy to maintain and update test cases.

Cons

Im not in dislike of any of the features about Katalon Studio, what i do think it would be better is the fact that some features that where originally free, now they are only available for enterprise version, so for long term users (like me) some features that i used some projects ago, now they are not available for free.

Good product for website automation

Amazing tool with friendly UI making it easier for anyone to use it with less background of coding. Also very versatile that can be used for web, mobile and Api. Intuitive results which helps in viewing the result of testing easily

Pros

I used this product for automating the testing of our website. It was very easy to use as people who did not have a lot of coding experience could also use it easily. Its a one stop shop for web mobile and api which is very useful for companies who use all three platforms

Cons

More languages to be supported. I hate the fact that we are restricted to java groovy

Overall review

Its good tool for someone who wanted to start automation and stuborn manual tester

Pros

Its speed on automaton .xpath several option fast in execution and lot more

Cons

Its to easy and very intelligent sometime you are not able to choose the right locator because of bad cooding by development and katalon struck

On of the best automation testing tools ever

I am using Katalon Studio for UI web automation testing and API testing and it's very stable and very powerful tool.

Pros

it an all in one solution and easy to use you can write your test scenario scripts easily and run it in no time it's really a very powerful testing solution.

Cons

None, all is good for me I didn't face any cons. till now

Lack of manpower? Use Katalon

We had a major problem with maintenance our automation tests framework. We had too much projects and too low manpower. Then I started an research and found Katalon. First look over the available options out of the box were outstanding. It had screenshot capturing, screen recording and many other features ready to use. Without a single line of code. Deeper look just assured me that Katalon will be our firs choice tool. It is flexible and even if wide functionalities are not enough for you you have option to write id down and integrate to the Katalon with ease. I literally do not see why to write your own automation framework when Katalon is easy and free to use.

Pros

Quick setup Easy to learn and use Good team collaboration options Easy to integrate to pipeline Out-of-the-Box solution

Cons

UX of application Some minor instabilities

FREE. Great IDE, Test case Mgmt, Quick script development, Build on top of Selenium,

Free tool. Easy to automate.

Pros

In built framework, no need to create your own. Can we Web, API and Mobile automation. Comes as a package. Installation is easy and 1 step process. IDE based on Eclipse, so all scripts and debugging feature available. Great Test Mgmt Capability. Supports execution on many environments. Supports parallel execution Great reports (PDF, HTML, Excel). Inbuilt data driven testing. Integrated with Jira, GIT, Slack, Sauce Lab, Browser stack etc. Good documentation and Video's for training

Cons

No much community support. Product still evolving. Paid support is expensive Newer version and new feature along with bug fixes are frequent. Support via forum not so fast.

Katalon Studio is the next big thing in automation testing world

Overall I have been using Katalon studio for more than an year, I have been impressed with the advancements they have made in their product, it has certainly been a more favorable tool for our organization.

Pros

It is very easy to use. Test cases can be made in very less time. offers a lot of other options apart from web UI testing like web service testing, desktop application testing etc.

Cons

the only con is that they release new version every 15 days, it becomes a problem to stick with one version as there are many bug fixes and new feature update.

Seamless Automation

Importantly, we can effectively automate integration scenarios like logging into web, get a parameter value, passing it in API, Get a value from response, Login to mobile and pass on the parameter captured from API response. Complex integration scenario like this can be handled in a single test script. Getting web drivers updated in a single click is also a simple one.

Pros

We can have web/API/Mobile scenarios automated in a single test file. This is very much useful to test integration of multiple components/systems.

Cons

Not sure why simple debug comes with only enterprise version.

Best Testing Tool in Market

Best Testing Tool in Market

Pros

Since its built on Top of Selenium working on Katalon becomes way too easy for a new user as well. On the other side if you have worked on Selenium and Java. You can master it in few days. And Never Forget the Spy web and record web button helps you to find such complex x-path which would be a tough task doing it manually. And testing of API , and UI is an easy task like never before.

Cons

1. Integrate it with Chro path for better xpaths. 2. Only compatible with Java and Groovy.

Faster Script Development and Execution

Katalon Studio is easy to use and it helped our testers to quickly learn the tool and efficiently use it to automate the test scripts. It has put both the technical and non-technical testers on the same playing field which resulted in development of thousands of test scripts in a short amount of time and standardize our tooling.

Pros

1. Non-technical testers can use it with the same ease as technical members. 2. Small learning curve 3. Multiple out-of-box integrations 4. Constant release with new features

Cons

1. Support more languages other than Groovy 2. Reporting for parallel test cases