All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Katalon Studio

Automated testing tool for web, mobile & desktop application

Katalon Studio Reviews

Reviews Summary

Pros

I really like that Katalon is both similar to using Selenium and Quick Test pro. This is a fantastic marriage of the best features those products offered separately.

Robert G.

Read the full review
It supports a good amount of testing types, from API to Cross-browser. It has a good learning curve and it's FREE.

Gregory G.

Read the full review
Great experience, absolutely loved it from the get go, better than selenium, the learning curve is not to steep.

Gabriel T.

Read the full review

Cons

When running a script, fails it is very hard to understand the reason. I got stuck trying to run a mobile test and I still can't do it and I found no one.

Roni s.

Read the full review
Despite some info from the users that encountered the same problem, no explanation from Katalon team was there.

Ana M.

Noor Yeaser K.

Katalon Studio - The one stop solution to software testing

Now all my test scripts are built with this tool. I don't have to solely rely on Postman to test backend APIs or just Selenium Webdriver to test frontend web applications or Appium to automate mobile applications. I do prepare all my automation test scripts now using Katalon Studio.

Pros

The tool can be used to test the following: 1) API 2) Web Applications 3) Mobile applications Requires minimal programming knowledge to leverage the tool for application testing. Easily integrated with 3rd party applications like Slack. Ready, Handy and FREE plugins available to make testing more effective. Test scripts are interchangeable with Selenium Webdriver.

Cons

Since this tool is somewhat new in the market compared to Selenium Webdriver, hence, its at times difficult to find solutions if a user is stuck in a problem. However, the KS developers tries their level best to find the suitable solution for you as early as possible.

Front end web testing, with ease

We have to deploy software to numerous systems, numerous times per month. Katalon offers the flexibility to run some basic sanity checks to ensure our deployments were successful, without a ton of manual testing hours to verfiy.

Pros

Learning curve is relatively quick and easy to get going with your first few basic tests. There is also a lot of documentation out there if you get stuck on something.

Cons

The design is horrible. It feels like interacting with an app built in the early 2000s. BUT, it works well.

One of the best tools for test automation

Great tool with a rich set of functionalities. Suitable for smaller and larger teams also.

Pros

It covers all the platforms and most of the test types. You can manage more test environments by data file. Using TestOps it is easy to publish test results and integrate testing process into management process.

Cons

Programming skills are required. Desktop application testing is easier with other products. It supports just Groovy as scripting language.

Good tool for API Automation but not so good for mobile UI

API Automation - It is good UI Automation - Not good

Pros

Well organized and easy to use. For APIs its straight forward

Cons

Mobile UI automation is quite tough to setup. Android automation, once we make a script using the a particular mobile using the recorder, we were not able to use it on another model phone. When recording, the ids which the Katalon Studio is creating were changing for the next phone and hence it is not recognizing the on other phones. On the Iphone UI automation, most of the Iphones are not getting recognized. We spent 2 months on doing research and it is pretty inconsistent. Finally we moved just to Appium and manually create the scripts which is the reliable solution from years.

an Excellent Automation Testing Solution for Everyone

It helped me a lot by saving me a lot of time because I do some tasks automation on it and I run some tests to see what's working and what's not. It's free and easy to use and it's perfect for everyone especially for a small business like me who don't need to have programming skills to runs some web and API tests and do Web Automation. It's an amazing tool and I hope the Katalon Studio team will keep improving it in the future.

Pros

I like it because It's % Free tool and It's very easy to use with an excellent user interface. It helped me to test some Automation tasks using an Excel spreadsheet and I find it very useful especially the record option because I don't need to code anything I just need to click record and start to do my task from A to Z and after this, I will just put everything into a Loop and all my tasks are fully...

Cons

They can add more features and integrate with other testing and automation tools because this will help in saving a lot of time. They can improve their Recorder tool and they can add more Browsers too.

Makes life easy

We have managed to fill in the gaps that Postman has left wide open in being able to share reports with teammates, using BDD/Cucumber in API testing, and being able to integrate with Jira. To be able to produce anything similar with postman would require tons of custom Node.js which would be difficult to use for our less technical team members.

Pros

What I like about this software is the fact that I can perform API, Web UI, and Mobile Applications testing all in one suite. I like the fact that the software is based on Eclipse, Java, and Selenium, and comes with all the drivers ready to go. It makes life easier for me who have to deal with a lot of the more technical components, but allows others on our team, who aren't as technical, drag and drop my scripts using the UI provided. I like the fact that the software encourages the Page Object Model and also makes Cucumber much easier.

Cons

You guys are making improvements on your reporting tool, but it used to be a major headache. Other than that, no major headaches.

Good option for automation

Despite I've had to deal with many issues using Katalon Studio, I think it is a great tool with a lot of potentials that need to mature. That's why I bet for Katalon Studio instead of other tools like ReadyAPI.

Pros

1- that you can use cucumber scripts along with groovy for automating test cases 2- Katalon Analytics is great

Cons

1- you can not open more than one project at a time 2- it's very heavy, it consumes a lot of resources. I think it could be improved in terms of RAM and CPU management. 3- katalon analytics needs more improvement, there are some issues in the UI. 4- the logging motor can be better, right now is very unusual if you run multiple test suites at a time with suite collection and try to watch the logs for...

QA Review of Katalon

We've so far had a great experience using Katalon. I'm very excited to introduce it to the company and hope we're able to fully utilize it and keep it around.

Pros

I really love how easy it is to create objects and reuse on multiple sites. The copy/paste/move up/move down options are super easy to use. This makes it easy to maintain our work and make it fun to consistently use.

Cons

Its very difficult to troubleshoot issues. We've started keeping very detailed documentation about which errors may occur and when. If it weren't for that, I'm not confident our QA team would be able to understand how to fix/get past whatever is happening. I would really like to see clearer notes as to why something would be causing an error.

The 'Does it All' tool!

Easy to get onboarded and start of with automation of tests. The level of coding expertise required to start test automation is comparatively low.

Pros

The ability to integrate with the latest & most generally used tools for deployments & development.

Cons

I have to keep check of the Chrome versions that the tool supports!

Amazing product for collaborative API Testing

Pros

Team Collaboration, Test Management, Code snippets functionality.

Cons

UI could be improved to have less clutter and Test Verification tab should have facility to open in side window for easy code writing.

Katalon Studio, great tool to get introduced to Testing Automation, as well experienced users

We had very little test automation in place, and actually was using as an intern till the "purchased" product was up to speed. It surpassed my expectations the more I used it. Very reliable, easy to maintain and update. Was able to build out a decent library of smaller reusable modules, that have greatly decreased the time it takes to create new testcases. It took the frustration out of tool itself, making it enjoyable to work in.

Pros

Very fast to get up and running. Fits a variety level of users, flexible enough to allow advanced users to pretty much setup how they please at the same time enough of all the base needs for the new user. With it being free product, they update it regularly and are very attentive to user requests. Their application is actually fun to use. The setup and options are intuitive. Not hard to figure out how to do and implement even more complex, complicated operations with custom code. Very portable. The install being as isolated from the code, can easily install on another machine, and open project and be running tests, no special build, or install requirements to do this as I've seen in other tools.

Cons

Not a fan of the Object Repository handling, doesn't do well of detecting dupes, can get quick messy if user of the object spy. The code repository integration is basic, the interface to it not very robust. Its scripting language is Groovy, which is not as popular as others.

Katalon - sweet spot for GUI automation

We are using Katalon Studio for GUI automation. The tests run quickly, and are heavily customizable past Katalon's own Web UI functions.

Pros

Katalon is easily one of the best open source software tools for GUI automation testing. Its intuitive interface requires a minimal learning curve and with the official documentation online, someone with zero testing/coding experience can write a comprehensive test. Test suites and collections allow enterprise level testing by allowing users to run numerous tests in series or parallel in different...

Cons

Katalon is an excellent software, but it is not without its bugs. For convenience I will list them: - Biggest issue is documentation. There is some great official documentation for Katalon, but there is also a lack of basic API documentation. I had to go to a Katalon forum to figure out about object parameterization. Why are the Web UI functions not explicitly documented? The links to the docs I've...

Useful, Time Saver, Easy to Use, Good UI and the BEST In the Industry of Automation

I have been using it for 2 years. It is great to test both my web and mobile projects in the same environment and support with powerful reports. Otherwise, sending the test results to your email address after the test is completed is amazing in reaching each test step on Katalon Analysis Beta. With the Recoder feature, recording and executing the tests provides great convenience especially for regression...

Pros

With advanced technology, high-quality applications are now inevitable. Manual testing of applications also slows down this rapid process. Considering the different factors such as slowness as well as multi-platform support, cross-browser, responsive design and more, an application's manual test may leave you with unexpected complications and extra efforts. So what do we do then? Remedy Automation...

Cons

I don't think it is very useful for web service and API testing. There may be more browser support. Sometimes you feel helpless when you get stuck somewhere when you get an error as community help is not that strong.

Automated Software Testing Tool for non technical software testers

We needed a tool that will help us write regression tests within the shortest possible time with the skillset of the testing team and after surveying different tools like it, it was the best choice. We were able to achieve our goal and now we can improve and expand our tests.

Pros

What I like most about Katalon Studio is that you don't need to have programming experience to begin automating software products. It is in my opinion, the best record and play tool out there for test automation.

Cons

It is difficult to use at initial interaction but with regular use of the tool, it gets better. Also, integrating automated tests from Katalon to a CI/CD tool like Jenkins can be a pain and the customer support is not great. You will rely on forums online a lot to sort out the issues you encounter while using the tool. Also, tests are always failing in the headless browser and there isn't enough information to investigate what the problem is.

“Free Tool, Serves The Automation Needs For The Applications Used at My Workplace”

Pros

I started using Katalon Studio a year ago and it serves the automation needs for the applications I use at my workplace. It’s free of cost which is a huge bonus, easy to automate and user friendly. To start with it’s very simple to create a record and playback script which can be edited using a manual and script mode with lots of inbuilt keywords to perform validations. My basic knowledge on Java enabled...

Cons

Every automation tool has some drawbacks, but I managed to nd workarounds for each stoppers. Since Katalon studio is a tool that is still developing, I expect it will be more powerful in near future, supporting more functions and needs of the user.

This is an awesome automation testing tool

- I use it for the system testing, and it suit for all my needs like how I build my own testing framework in eclipse. I started using it since 2018 Jan and I can see the software keep improving the feature and functionality. As my company need to use Jenkins for the build test and this tool fit for my requirement otherwise if I build my own framework will take me longer time only can start the automation testing.

Pros

- The record& playback feature help those QA who doesn't have programming language also can do automation testing. - The object ID changed, immediately all the test cases using the object will get refresh - Object capture can let QA to decide how to navigate to the web element, can have multiple selection by ID,Name,Text,Xpath and so on. If we develop by using eclipse only can have 1 locator at the same time. - Better feature than HP QTP and it's FREE. -Test data can have multiple option like csv,text,excel -Nicer report for all the test suite executed -Allow to import third party library and use it to write the customkeyword in JAVA. -Attached the custom profile use in test suite collection for different testing purposes.

Cons

- A lot of issue found when executed the test in command prompt, because I use Jenkins to trigger the test - The browser driver not the latest in the market - Firefox browser not support the latest in the market. - Although I didn't pay for the support but I hope Katalon team can support /fix the stopper issue raised in the forum within short period.

Overall User Experience Is Good And Easy To Use, But Requires Added Functionalities

We solved the business problem wherein the values appearing on screen in our scorecard where mismatched with the downloaded excel. We automated the checking of values in downloaded excel sheets with the values show on screen with Katalon Studio.

Pros

Was able to automate most of the manual testing work using Katalon studio. Thus saving time and efforts and putting those to use in more productive work. The experience was great working on Katalon studio. The frequent updates of the software, the added enhancements every now and then are perfect. Quicker responses is what one can expect. Coming to the tool, its a great tool to work with. To sum up its a great tool which we can employ without any cost to pay for.

Cons

It crashed many times without saving the changes I did. Katalon community can be improved. I strongly felt that it should have a revamped User Experience, in terms of color schemes, ease of use and more shortcut keys to be included. Coming to the technical functionalities in the tool, sometimes while after including certain files from a particular folder, it doesn't appear there directly. We have to refresh the tool. It would be great if the tool had some auto-refresh feature. Sometimes while saving an Object Repository file, even if I save file, I am not able to save file and the changes are lost. I feel that improvements can be made on architecture level to sort out all these issues. The tool should be asset light, means should be able to work on minimum computing requirements.

Good product and great alternative

Overall the tool has many good functions and capabilities. Pros, outweigh cons in a major way. Pricing structure and support is excellent.

Pros

Somewhat easy to get started (see cons), Git integration, beginner and expert modes. Ability to export and continue with other IDEs if desired to go outside of the tool (not locked in to it forever). Plenty of information on the web to troubleshoot and ask questions (unlike our previous tool). May frequent updates and feature releases.

Cons

A little cumbersome to setup all the needed plugins. Until everything is configured just right, you will run in to errors here and there that take time to troubleshoot. Test case navigation/folder structure could use a few more options and customization capabilities to be able to sort things better. Automatic centralized location for code and test case storage (similar to ALM) would be great. Having to commit and pull code each time from different stations is cumbersome. To schedule remote execution you must make sure the machine pulled latest code which is an issue if execution and development PCs are different.

True the best test automation tool in today testing market

Pros

It is FREE to use. earlier days testers used to develop frameworks using program language like Java, C sharp and etc. This use to take a huge effort and there was no standard in developing frameworks. because of inconsistency in the framework, the main focus of testers uses to go to maintain the framework rather use it productively. Katalon is completed filled the gap in the test automation world. And also, given much more powerful features accelerate test automation development and its usage. The simplicity of the tool. easy to learning. Productivity. knowledge base. It can integrate all CI and CD tools in the market.

Cons

Integration with Zephyr test management on Jira is missing. This is very much required as per Katalon test users. But not sure whey team have not come up with solutions for this. I hope they come up ASAP.

Katalon Studio - Free, Easy to Use, Best UI for Web, Mobile and API automation

Pros

Easy to setup Easy to use UI - Objecy Spy, Recorder, Keyword and Script view, debugging, Integration with GIT etc.., Easy to learn - Built in keywords, framework, simple external data integration, record and play back Advanced Capabilities - Multi browser, parallel execution, command line execution, record / spy mobile applications, API etc..,

Cons

Newer version of Katalon Studio has moved some of the free features to paid (ex. Jira integration) Capturing objects, scripting and execution time on mobile apps must be improved Multilevel API calls are not efficient compared to tools like SoapUI, Postman etc.. Report cannot be customized Desktop app automation not available

Katalon Studio

I was new to my company and I was on a new project. The tool selected by someone else wasn't going to be a fit (Cypress) we need a tool that could do proper E2E testing not a Unit test tool like Cypress. Katalon allowed me to catch up and to get the automation back on track quickly. I found it very easy to use as it was much like the commercial tools I have used for the last 18 years

Pros

Ease of Use Similar to the commercial tools I have used Lots of options to create custom code

Cons

Object Recognition is a bit clumsy. It needs a spy that will give relative XPath for objects. Currently it gives a full Xpath which is unreliable.

plug n play automation software with many built in keywords

We adopted the tool after I highly spoke of it to higher management as they trust me as our main testing tool on the current project I'm working on. Had a very small learning curve and create custom keywords and scripts to be reused and acting as lego blocks in many tests. Cucumber is documenting all our scenarios.

Pros

It allow to somebody with no or little coding knowledge to get started in test automation with its intuituous interface and built in keywords. Also, with all the integration with various platforms and technologies make it a very easy to integrate tool in the day to day work environment.

Cons

Some glitches still exist in some fields such as soap api calls where not all endpoints are loaded correctly and some improvemetns could be done in order to completely replace soap ui usage in my case. Also the cucumber integration doesn't seem to have all the solution's benefits working correctly such as tags and others that could be added. Finally the Database that is internal could allow to clone, copy, delete or manipulate data easily even the search is not there to make a query for instance.

A powerful automated testing tool at free of cost

We have a challenge to start over the automation immediately and there aren't any QA's who has much knowledge about it. In that case being a QA Developer I suggested on using Katalon studio to save time on setting up the framework from scratch. Having this tool handy and easy to use it doesn't take much time for our manual testers to write scripts using manual mode. I personally like the tool as it allows us to create custom keywords though the tool provides many pre-defined methods there is a requirement to create custom keywords as the application demands like retrieving the links from emails, verfying pdfs. Today we have had ample number of test cases developed using Katalon Studio. And we are further hoping to start working on API automation too using Katalon.

Pros

Powerful tool but easy to use and simple to deploy Open Source Tool Single tool provides features to perform Web UI, Mobile and API automation Supports Page Object Modal Provides Object Spy feature Provides cross browser testing It has both manual and script mode It has many pre-defined methods which helps the manual testers to create automation scripts Releases feature updates frequently Provides integration with various 3rd party tools like TestRail, qTest, Git, Jenkins Provides great reports.

Cons

Paid support Frequent feature release takes time for installation everytime

Katalon Studio for UI automation

Katalon is coming all real well especially for the people who does not how to use Visual studio and eclipse. It is more user friendly.

Pros

We are using Katalon Studio for UI automation. Some of the Pros about this software are 1. Free licensing and hence no cost to the company 2. Ability to integrate Katalon studio with the the latest automation tools such as Appium, Selenium and Win AppDriver 3. Ability to record the UI objects using Katalon UI Recorder 4.Ease of use for Manual testers, since recording option is available 5. Support for Groovy and Java languages. 6. Katalon test cloud to host mobile automation test cases.

Cons

The biggest disadvantage with Katalon is the ability to debug the code at run time. When a code gives an error, the compiler moves to the next line without letting us know what the real error is. Also support for external data source is very limited like connecting to excel or SQL.

Katalon - A easy-to-use solution for your automating your tests

Katalon is very user-friendly as we used it to automate end-to-end-tests. I way fascinated how good it works when I first tried it and build-up a complete test environment for a web application in a very short time. We also integrated it in our CI/CD structure (GitLab) with ease, as Katalon is also dockerized as image available. Generelly speaking: One of the best test automation tool out there currently. But as we needed a solution for distributed testing, we switched from katalon to robot framework. We nevertheless believe, that katalon has a lot of potential to be the next big thing in test automation.

Pros

- As the title suggests, Katalon is very easy-to-use. The UI is very intuitive to use and therefor it doesn't take much time to get started. - Katalon comes with a lot of built-in features like a test recorder, that saves your interaction with a given UI-Interface and creates a test case out of it or a very nice way to save GUI elements and to organize test data via built-in databases. - Katalon...

Cons

- It's fairly young and therefor lacks of features like distributed testing (it still gets a lot of updates). - I had some performance issues with 4K monitors - the tree that is generated when executing a test takes a lot of performance. - The GUI repository is file based -> That means it will throw errors, if the file structure gets too long...

Select your country

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.