Knack Logo
Knack

We help everyday innovators to create custom, no-code apps.

visit website

Knack Reviews - Page 2

Very Disappointed

Pros

Look of the app is very nice. The "Builder" they have come up with is innovative, not your normal database building tool. It takes some getting used to. There are some limitations to it, that other databases don't have.

Cons

Very poor customer support, if you are on the lowest plan. They will not pick up the phone and call you, nor can you call them. They claim a response time of between 24 and 48 hours....not true. I am now having support requests unanswered for 4 days. Their blog and self-help support site are very poor. There is no main office or phone number, they all work from their homes across the US. Apparently, they don't have titles and they think it's funny to post pictures of themselves on their website with funny made up titles in the organization. This organization needs to grow up and get serious. I will terminate my plan with them and ask for a full refund if things don't improve dramatically in the next day or two.

Knack Review

I need an online database system that provides intuitive design features, real database functionality and a user friendly GUI. In addition, I need a system that allows for the implementation of business rules and workflow. Knack is the only system I could find that provides all of this at a very competitive price.

Pros

Database functionality, such as primary and foreign keys that actually work.

Cons

Interface and reports can be more design friendly without having to use CSS or Javascript.

Excellent tool for non-technical process managers

Exceptionally pleased with the SaaS product

Pros

Very quick to develop applications by non-technical people

Cons

Supports one-by-one processing of cases. Not very good at bulk processing a subset of cases on demand.

Absolutely terrible, worst customer service I have experienced

Pros

Cons

Absolutely terrible customer service. I signed up, spent 2 days making an app, then the builder completely froze. I tried 5 computers, all different browsers, as soon as you log in it give a spinning gear and freezes. Knack support said it's because I'm using Chrome and that Chrome is bad at handling memory (even though I told them I tried IE, Edge, Safari, on 5 machines). Then today, I spent 3...

Of course when there's any chance of work being lost we take that very seriously and launch a full internal investigation. We had mentioned that a refund was possible but we needed to get more details. This is something we had never seen before and needed to confirm exactly what may have happened. Unfortunately Lee deleted his account before we could complete our investigation and resolve this issue to everyone's satisfaction. This all happened within the span of a few hours.

Knack 2016

Knack has been a useful product. I find it to be helpful to small and medium-sized clients who want a database without the high price tag.

Pros

Knack has a good user interface and is a lower price point for databases of this type. They have very good service and the online chat help is excellent.

Cons

I have found that we need developers to do work that I would not call high level but this assistance does ramp up the relatively low cost of the product. This happens with almost every database, but I was hoping Knack would be different.

Knack

Pros

Very easy to customize. A lot of great features.

Cons

It can be slow and lag. The mobile versus the web version is quite different.

Overall quite impressed

Pros

Once you've got everything figured out (specifically linking different objects) it's very easy to use. There are quite a few useful features.

Cons

Sometimes the software is glitchy when it comes to importing .csv documents. Things won't load and then you'll have to restart the whole process.

Easy way to get mobile access to a cloud database.

We're a small landscaping company. We use knack so our crews can look up their client calls for the day on the go. We also use it for crew timesheets.

Pros

Great mobile access/interface.

Cons

We wish we had fuller access to the underlying database. The existing interface is acceptable, but it would be nice to have full SQL query access for power users.

BEFORE YOU INVEST!: If you close or suspend your account you will lose all your work

I want to start by saying that knack is a great SAS application. The support team is also very good. That said, I've been told that I can download the records for my application, but the application itself will be destroyed if I close or supend my account. The only option they provide is a freezing the account and paying a fee that starts at 9$/m. I understand they need to compensate for services rendered,but a frozen account that consumes little space and effectively zero server load makes investing development time a real issue. I will pay the 9$/m to start, but that's just because I invested more then 300 hours on this application, and it breaks my hart to put it all in the trash. Let this be a warning.

Pros

Great app. Super support.

Cons

No way to preserve application files at reasonable cost if account is place on hold.

Hi, thanks for your review. We actually feel really good about offering an affordable plan to freeze your account! We added this feature at the request of our users. This way you don't need to pay full price if you have a seasonal app or just need to pause it for a while. And of course you can export all your data at any time.

Extremely Satisfied

Very satisfied new user

Pros

Ease of use for people without IT/database creation backgrounds. Prompt global support.

Cons

Additional currencies for ecommerce functionality/fields

Great platform

Seriosuly, this platform is AWESOME. Very well tought and well designed. Everything is where it should be. I was able to build a small but not so simple app in 30 mins. Had I created everything by myself it would have taken me a whole week and slepless nights of debugging. Amazing platform. I really hope see them growing in something even more sophisticated.

Cons

Thanks Max for this kind review, it really means a lot to us! And don't worry, we have plenty of new features in the works!

Simple To Use

The future of database creation. Started testing in Dec. 2013 fully function complex app being used companywide late January 2014. All created by a non-database real estate broker.

Pros

App Creation User Friendly No need to hire IT Do it Yourself Great support when I had questions (which were few)

Cons

Can't find a single one.

Not worth it. There are better solutions out there.

I didn't find it helpful.

Pros

It is relatively easy to use, otherwise I didn't notice anything outstanding, anything what would be worth mentioning here.

Cons

I found it very limiting as it can handle only very basic tasks. I also didn't like that there is no mobile application. The way it displays on mobile device is very clumsy. Customer support is so so.

Good Product to Build your Own Website

Over we decided not to use knack as there were other softwares out there that better suited our needs.

Pros

For someone whose never built a website this is about as easy as it gets.

Cons

I wish there were more display options.

Great database builder

Pros

The app builder is a great feature of this software. There are a lot of useful options such as searching, various forms and tables. I find it easy to customize although having little background in programming helps but not required. Easy interface after a little bit of use.

Cons

Knack servers can use some updating. Can be slow at times with complex queries which can be frustrating. Knack support tries to address all our concerns, but some issues will take some time to fix. The front end could use some updates also and to have access to change the visuals would be nice

Knack it up!

Pros

Super easy to get going (it is the most intuitive interface). Price by number of apps instead of by user works well with our company. Powerful features including, for instance, users logging in by their Google+ or Facebook profile (single sign on). I have not run into any bugs.

Cons

You can't adjust the presentation layer (the website) as much as, say, Caspio. You can change some things like colors and basic layout, but most of the CSS is fixed. Their formulas are very weak. They only allow basic functions, especially for manipulating text. For formulas, I found Airtable to be much better.

Great. Knack did exactly what I wanted.

Pros

It allowed me to easily customize a website to allow multiple users to enter information without having a pay account.

Cons

You have to program yourself. I'm not the most technical person so this takes some time. Only training will help.

Knack Review

Pros

Multiple functionalities-Coaching, Return Status information.

Cons

The design is of low quality and looks very old.

Simple to use

This builder allowed me to reproduce an app in a few days that had originally taken weeks to build on PHP/MySQL. Excellent support via chat.

Sky is the Limit

Fantastic. We had worked to solve problems for no less than 24 months prior to our introduction to knack. From the time we started with knack we had a minimum viable internal product within 90 days and a customer facing web-portal (providing sales, project, and invoice detail) in 180 days. With knack we have have saved an immeasurable amount of time and resource.

Pros

Very simple to solve for Secure, HIPPA, PCI compliant user logins. Ability to pivot large data-set with simplified permission based views - no incremental expense for additional users / views / roles.

Cons

Support. Our reliance on knack is significant in pre-sale functions and as a result, when it breaks we have always defined the solution (or created the work-around) several days before a knack tech gets around to responding to our requests.

Knack is very helpful

We use knack to store multiple sets of data. It is extremely helpful in tracking donations (and donors), restricted grants (and foundations/organizations who provide grants), and complex volunteer jobs for a non-profit. We are able to track and analyze all of this information through Knack. I especially like that we can attach documents to records in Knack so all of the information we need is right in one place. Also, being able to set up scheduled reminders is a lifesaver to ensure that we won't miss deadlines for important tasks.

Pros

I like that in Knack I can access all-inclusive data, and see it reported in a variety of ways. I can opt for simple summary reports, more complex detailed reports, or even colorful and pretty graphs. I can use a wide variety of parameters to create the report, and I can sort the included data in a variety of ways. I can also export data in different formats. Knack is extremely flexible for me. Full disclosure - I am a frequent Knack user, but I do not record data into Knack, nor do I set up the databases at all. That magic is all done by someone else, so I cannot comment on the administrator aspects of Knack.

Cons

Sometimes Knack will log me out while I am in the process of using it. I try to accept the blame when this happens because I always have too many tabs open in my browser, and I often work in 2 different sections of Knack simultaneously. However, it is definitely frustrating. Also, I have a pet peeve about the number of items I can view in one page of a report. For a report with lots of items, I have to navigate forward or back between many pages. I would much prefer to scroll further down the same page to see data in a long report. I don't know of any way to alter the number of items per page.