VirtualBox

Open-source cross-platform virtualization application

VirtualBox Reviews

Pros

I like the fact that Oracle has given some time to create this free version of a Hypervisor platform and it pretty good for something free.

Grant W.

VirtualBox is probably the best tool for using virtual machines. The ease of being able to install and test various operating systems on virtual machines is excellent for many users.

Agna B.

Its ease of use, fantastic features and the possibility of different configurations for using operating systems on the same machine without the need to install them.

Agna B.

Cons

The problem is that the software is not recognized from a small group of users. Not every pouch is needed, but sometimes it's bad to not be able to use it when you need it.

Its performance is low especially if you are running in windows machines. Sometimes it gets stuck or doesn't respond which makes it frustrating to use.

Bhanu K.

The only problem I ever have is mst of the display resoltions other than recomended always seem to cut off part of the screen.

Michael B.

Virtual Box by Oracle

Transcript

Sarvesh G.: Hi, I'm Sarvesh, and I'm working as a technology architect with an IT company, and I would...

VirtualBox for quickly initial new environment for testing

I use VirtualBox to initial my testing environment for my shell script function which needs to run in Centos, RedHat, Debian and Ubuntu, I download the virtual OS and add into VirtualBox which alow me quickly verify my script and when I work with Kubernetes, it already support installation environment as Virtual OS and we use VirtualBox to host it.

Pros

With VirtualBox, I easily create a test and dev environment for different OS, it supports all type of OS from Window, Ubuntu, Centos. VirtualBox Guest system is quickly created and start and I could share data between Host OS and Guest OS including copy/paste, disk sharing and drag-drop. VirtualBox consume very little resource and is able to host multiple Guest OS at same time, it is an excellent feature when we want to test our script in different OS

Cons

Using VirtualBox is quite complex to setup Guest OS, special to enable access to Host OS hardware such as Printer, switch between Host OS and Guest OS have delayed time

VirtualBox, The little brother to the Workstation.

The ability to spin up and test instances of our application and also new flavours is the primary business purpose and virtual box ticks all thos boxes is a great asset to have to meet the business goals.

Pros

Have been using VirtualBox to spam new distributions of linux and other open source operating systems and also use Virtual box to deploy our application as well and we use it as a benchmarking mechanism tool.

Cons

The least thing we like about this is the amount of compute it takes to run the application on the slight less specked machine and it does a take on the battery life, otherwise the application is good.

The Gold Standard of Free Virtualization Products!

Overall, I am very pleased with VirtualBox. It has all the functionality that is needed by a power user and is available for free!

Pros

VirtualBox makes managing virtual systems easy and affordable. I am very impressed by the amount of functionality included in this free prodcut.

Cons

Occasionally, updates to VirtualBox an cause problems with the functionality of guest systems. This is rare and usually not difficult to correct.

VirtualBox Review

My personal experience with it could be both satisfactory and disappointing, honestly. On the personal side, I'd say almost flawless, but on the professional side, it's not what I'd rely on, but again, you get what you pay for!

Pros

VirtualBox is open-source, easy and super fast to install and start, and it's free as well. It helps you test any OS in a few steps and switch between the operating systems you're running easily and swiftly. It's not exclusive to only one operating system.

Cons

If you just want to test operating systems and not go in-depth, VM VirtualBox would be okay. However, if you'd like to use it more in-depth, you'd find a few issues. Some computers do not allow the installation of a Virtual Machine software without changing the BIOS, and this, of course, isn't something everyone can do. Some features aren't supported without installing add-ons. Also, sound drivers...

Experience with VirtualBox

When it comes to software testing, this tool has served me to implement several virtual servers at the same time, being able to obtain the information and the desired behavior of the software.

Pros

The virtual machines created are perceived to be faster and lighter than in other products, and it is also easy to import them to other platforms.

Cons

Configurations such as the network or the transfer of files between the host and the virtual one is somewhat complicated.

Great choice for VMs in Mac

I use Virtualbox to setup environments. I'm Mac user and I use daily vm to configure and deploy mainly linux distributions.

Pros

When I started using Mac it was a problem for me, but when I started using VirtualBoxVM everything became easier. Easy Setup, Easy VM setup and administration, Easy everything. Runs fast. Even if I keep some VMs open.

Cons

I don't find any cons at all. Maybe the resource consumption, but that's really not on VirtualBoxVM, is cause of VMs assigned resources.

Virtualization is awesome.

I use Virtual Box to provide multiple services while retaining a single server. For the classroom VirutalBox provides students with an environment where they can experiment while keeping the base operating system secure and locked. The ability to preserve aging software is critical to many companies I deal with. Inability to upgrade or lack of migration options often means that they need to keep these programs running while replacing broken or old hardware. Snapshots help me to keep perfect copies of system content and provide 100% restores.

Pros

The ability to quick install and work inside a virtual operating system with having to build an entirely new system. No messing around with hard disks and bios. Its great when you want to test out Operating System alternatives or when testing current systems via hard disk imaging.

Cons

No "out of the box" compatibility with Apple IOS operating system. This is obviously no fault of its creators as Apple has made use of its Operating System near impossible with its hardware but from a teaching perspective its a wasted opportunity especially for those learning helpdesk skills.

Best virtalization tool by oracle

Mainly we use it to test on all major Operating systems as its portable to any System structure form UNIX to Windows

Pros

Due to its open source nature and ease to use this is a best tool for any one from business to normal users allows use of any OS inside Windows (mainly) which makes testing easy on other OS like Linux (all flavors)

Cons

Not much any cons about this tool but it could be built more ease to use though its good but can be improved and all connections should be automatically detected inside virtual machine such though they work doesn't feel like real OS can adopt "NEW DESKTOP"like tech and improve it.

Very good virtualization, for free!

Very good, I'd consider and try this before trying out paid products, especially if you're know what you're doing to some extent and don't mind going through the OS installation process manually, and some manual tweaks here and there to get everything working properly.

Pros

It's easy to set up, and you can't compete with the fantastic price of *free*! It works pretty well overall, and doesn't hog too many resources, although your mileage may vary depending on what OS and configuration you try to run in it. It's also cross-platform, which is great!

Cons

It doesn't offer a lot of integration with the host operation system, unlike Parallels for example, or VMWare even. But again, it's free, so hard to complain... In addition, you have to be more technical to operate it - since it doesn't allow the "1-click" installs that other do etc.

VirtualBox review

I am satisfied with VirtualBox, as it has proven itself more than reliable, especially during the long sessions of troubleshooting on my Virtual Machine.

Pros

Sometimes I tend to use VirtualBox for my Lab in order to replicate some issue reported by the Customer or to check certain settings in the Software which I support, because VirtualBox has proven itself as good and reliable in this field.

Cons

I don't like the amount of space which normal lab requires for daily use, especially because I need sometimes to switch between a couple of Virtual Machines on my company's laptop, which lacks disc space.

The tool needed to virtualize and test software in secure environments

VirtualBox has allowed me to develop and test applications on different operating systems in a safe and controlled environment. It is really an excellent tool to develop all kinds of tests the idea of being able to virtualize any operating system and within being able to apply test settings verify its behavior and even more its compatibility with the system is fantastic. It is even ideal to test an operating system with some internal modification, as in my case a Linux distribution to which a modified kernel was implemented in which different types of tests were performed before placing it in production, It is definitely safe reliable and robust Therefore, I would not hesitate to recommend its use as a virtualization tool.

Pros

VirtualBox has the quality of virtualizing almost any operating system with excellent driver compatibility using VirtualBox from the versions where it was necessary to capture the mouse and keyboard to use it on the guest and then release them with the Ctrl key to use it on the host, and I can say that the development and constant updating by the community have made this a great virtualization software...

Cons

In some operating systems such as Linux, the configuration of the extras that allow us for example the auto resizing of the screen and the other features mentioned in the pro section can be complicated. Additionally there is a point that, although I would not consider it so much a negative aspect of the tool if it is necessary to mention, and it is the subject of the resources of the host team because...

Real Problems No Longer Feel Real Inside a Perfectly Replicated Virtual System with VirtualBox

Thanks to VirtualBox, I have been able to test different systems under controlled conditions. I was able to quickly test the minimum requirements of specific applications by simply changing the settings affecting the virtual machine before using it. It has also allowed me to get comfortable with other operating systems that I don't use regularly and to open native applications flawlessly as opposed to trying to emulate those with an incompatible system. It has saved me many times when deploying destructive scripts for testing purposes that would otherwise have wiped out my real hard drive or infected my machine directly. I feel this is a very well built software and I would be confident in recommending its use to anyone who is looking into virtualization.

Pros

The ability to install almost any operating system with great support for USB, ACPI and SMP without the risk of breaking the machine that is being used for virtualization is a strong advantage of VirtualBox. Apart from the fact that it is free and backed by a legendary company, one of its great features resides in the guest additions, which makes it possible to get better performance and communication...

Cons

When not used to the software, it is confusing why some functions might not be available without the guest additions. On some systems, using a desktop environment with fixed sized windows may distort the aspect ratio of the virtual machine. Instead of auto-scaling, it is then necessary to switch the window into "floating mode" to resize manually. Depending on the resources available, the virtual machine...

The King of virtualizers

I recommend using the 64bit version of VirtualBOX if you have a 64bit operating system, otherwise you will not be able to use 64-bit guest operating systems. The ability to share virtual machines has given us the opportunity to try development kits from our vendors, this is a significant advantage in terms of the time spent if we had installed everything from scratch. The support that the community gives to this product is really important, in case of problems you can contact the forum looking for solutions to the problems encountered. Sometimes a simple restart solves a big problem, as usual.

Pros

The product is very simple to use starting from the installation phase which does foresee any difficulty. It is one of the open source products on the market with GPL2 license, this certainly encourages the user to try it at least once. VirtualBox supports many operating systems like Windows, Linux, Mac. The product allows us to test and certify our applications on different guest operating systems choosing from those supported by VirtualBox (a long list). This is the main reason why we are using it with excellent results.

Cons

I would like as an improvement of VirtualBOX the ability to transfer files between guess system and host as drag & drop instead of sharing folders or installing extension packs. Sometimes accessing external hardware from the virtualization process is difficult which precludes its use. I would like to point out that in some cases the error messages are not helpful in solving the block found, fortunately the community gives a lot of help in these cases

Everything you need to do software testing in a single workstation

In the organization in which I worked some time ago, all platforms were migrating to free software. As a geographer, I had to make expedited deliveries of maps and that platform was not yet stable, with Virtualbox, I could use traditional software to respond to requests from my bosses. Currently I'm still using Virtualbox but outside the business scope. At home my family enjoys playing video games from the time of our childhood and they can only be executed in windows 98. It could not be possible to have this hobby without VirtualBox.

Pros

What I like most is that tool is free, easy to use and functional. These characteristics is what makes software distinguish from other similar ones. I also want to highlight its functions, such as: It allows installing virtually any operating system such as Linux, Android, Mac OS X, Windows, Chrome OS, etc; unlike others in the market. It is extremely easy to create an environment for testing of all...

Cons

Directly on the software, I could not say that there is something that I do not like, it is quite efficient. The issue is, we must have a computer or workstation that is powerful, since, if we use 2 operating systems simultaneously we are using twice as many resources. In addition, it is also possible that sometimes operating systems and programs will run slower in virtual machines. This is because the virtual machines can not get an ideal performance of the hardware that we have in our team. The more powerful our computer is, the less you will notice the loss of performance.

Great tool for running additional environments on your workstation

Nice free virtual machine tool to keep my primary workstation from getting too "cluttered"

Pros

VB is a great little tool to spin up additional OS environments on my workstation. I use this for 2 reasons. First, to be able to spin up other operating systems to do cross-platform testing (Linux, Windows (multiple versions), ChromeOS, etc). Secondly, I use it to have separate environments for clients. We have a multitude of clients that each require different (or worse, sometimes the same) VPN tools, software, etc. When you try to install all these tools on your regular desktop, we were constantly running into conflicts (one client needed to be v5.1 to connect to the VPN and a different client needed v4.7). It just became too much clutter. So I started spinning up a different Windows (or Linux) environment for each client install their tools separately. It has worked wonders!

Cons

The only downside is related to the /way/ I use the software. Because I spin up different environments for each client, if I have to work with a couple clients simultaneously (not often, but it happens), it can be incredibly slow because my workstations resources now have to be split 2, 3 or 4 ways (each envirnment usually gets 1/3 of my RAM allocated). Running 1 at a time is perfectly fine. Running 2 is usually OK, but once I hit 3, I've pretty much maxed out my host and it can be slow. That being said, I could accommodate for that by simply installing more RAM or allocating less to each.

As a graduate student majoring in Computer Science, I use VirtualBox a lot to set up Ubuntu.

I pay nothing to gain all the functionalities that I need to implement my coursework and research experiment. Although I am a Mac user, I can also install Windows on VirtualBox and use Office conveniently.

Pros

Firstly, VirtualBox is free. But it doesn't mean that it has bad quality. Its various features and functionalities are totally enough, especially for students to use for the academical purpose. I am using Ubuntu on VirtualBox to develop an Operating System kernel this semester. VirtualBox is the first recommendation by my professor. My laptop is Mac OS and only has 4G memory. Since VirtualBox is...

Cons

Compared to VMware, drag-and-drop functionality on VirtualBox is less convenient. Although we can do sequence settings on VirtualBox to make it support drag-and-drop functionality between host and virtual machine, it is time-consuming and easy to make mistakes to learn and implement these settings.

No more spending money to buy computers just to use different operating systems

Overall, Virtualbox has done wonders for me. Allowing me to try to learn new operating systems without having to spend a lot of money to buy a machine that has that operating system.

Pros

Virtualbox is open-source software that hosts just about any operating system as a file: Windows, macOS, Linux, Ubuntu, Android, etc. A ton of operating systems to choose from. Of course, to do that, you have to download the actual operating system file that can be several gigabytes. But once done, it's easy to import the OS into Virtualbox and start using out of the box. As a Student Ambassador,...

Cons

I cannot think of a single dislike. VirtualBox is quite simply, easy to use. No learning curve, and it works out of the box. Of course, the only valid gripe I can give is that you need to have a powerful computer with a good amount of RAM and hard drive space.

Excelente para probar programas nuevos y diferentes sistemas

To test operating systems. To use software that is not available in our operating system. Create and simulate a network of servers.

Pros

It allows me to test different programs without altering my operating system. I can create multiple servers to simulate different networks and test the operation of a server before putting it into operation. I can enter with different programs without altering my operating system. can be installed in any operating system and be able to use all programs, either private or free, since you have no restrictions for use. VirtualBox supports the virtualization of the following operating systems: Microsoft Windows GNU / Linux Mac OS X OS / 2 Warp Solaris / OpenSolaris FreeBSD MS-DOS Android etc.

Cons

You need a powerful computer. We have to take into account that if we use 2 operating systems simultaneously we are using twice as many resources. Operating systems and programs will run slower in virtual machines. This is because the virtual machines can not get an ideal performance of the hardware that we have in our team. The more powerful our computer is, the loss of performance will be noticed. If we have a problem with the computer hosting the host operating system, the service may fall on the entire virtual machine. Therefore the computer that runs the virtual machine is a critical part.

Virtualization in Minutes - Virtual Box

Overall VirtualBox servers the total purpose. It can be installated on any operating system, so no matter if your Server is sitting on Windows or Linux box, VirtualBox can be installed and used flawlessly without any powerful configurations. So if you have a Server which in turn is connecting to multiple different servers sitting at different sites at your organization, you can use VirtualBox to bring all the Servers in one instance and make the process more efficient and streamlined.

Pros

VirtualBox is a really lightweight but powerful virtualiztion software. It allows us to build machines within machines and interconnect each machine in a personalised manner of networking. It is helps hugely on Servers for creating minor servers within one parent server which facilitates the basic functioning of any Server. Additionally we can create multiple machines and run all of them at once considering cores of your base machine and each virtual machine will work as a dedicated system serving the purpose.

Cons

Support can be a con for this software. We can get a lot of open source/ public communities supporting this software but there is not formal teaching lessons/ vedios from Oracle explainig the functioning of this software in detail. So learning the software can consist of alot of reaching which eventually becomes frustating at times but overall you learn more when you research. But Oracle can publish some offical videos exolaning the software which will be a lot more helpful.

VirtualBox - Free hypervisor for your computer

One of my personal favor feature of the application is the ability to create handy snapshots of different state of each VM you create. I use it mainly to test software and websites before launching them in production. with the snapshot feature, I can install all basic required software in the operating system of my choice and when I believe I have the perfect environment, I create a snapshot, in the event something goes wrong, I can easily revert to the snapshot create for this purpose. This allow me to have a clean slate to start from each time I want to run another test and have all I need.

Pros

VirtualBox - is a free open-source, cross-platform and a solid built hypervisor for your computer, which was development by Oracle Corporation. This software is perfect for software reviewers, software testers, software developers and software designers, just to name a few. VirtualBox makes it very easy and convenient to have multiple different operating systems running as guest on your single computer, which acts as the host, eliminating the need to dual boot your machine or the need to have more than one physical computer to run each operating system you might need to perform optimally.

Cons

The most recent version 6.0, has a cool and clean interface with minimal clutter. On the left-hand side of the application you can find global tools and all virtual machines and also virtual machine groups that you have created and available on you computer. You also have the handy import and create new VMs with related toolbar buttons for customizable options to suite your needs. Although the software is free, you can adjust just about any feature available, making it work in as you want and need.

Easy to use Workstation Virtualization!

Considering the product is open source and free, it is easy to install on windows or linux clients and spin up test virtual machines in a few minutes. It also, allows for rapid testing and ever setting up of small networks to simulate a prodution server environement of a desktop machine if needed. Would highly recommend for programmers, sysadmin, or even home hobbyists that have a need to run multiple machines but do not have the hardware available to do so.

Pros

This has been my go to cross platform virtualization software for testing and development. It is easy to acquire and install. Supports a wide breadth of hosts (Linux, Windows and Macs) and Guest OSs( even dating back to DOS and Windows 3.1!) . It can even he run headless with a simple web interface and does not require dedicated hardware like ESX. Also, Apps can be run seamlessly within the host operating system.

Cons

Even though it is easy to use, I do not think it runs as thin as VMware. Also, to autostart machines requires third party hacks rather than a intergrated service within the product. Undestanding that Virtualbox is meant to be more of a client based virtualized product, it would still be nice to see the autostart of the guest machines baked into the product.

Simple and the best part... FREE

Cheap high quality operating system virtualization that hasn't let me down yet.

Pros

This is the easiest Virtualization software I've been able to find and the best part is that it's FREE. I use it for virtualizing several machines for our organization. We are a smaller business but still have a need for some things to be on a dedicated "server" (door locks and our older Church Management software). These 2 things could not be installed on a machine that was running other services...

Cons

There have been a few Virtual Box software hiccups that require me to shutdown and reboot the 2 virtual servers but it's been fairly solid and only happened 3 times in the 2+ years that machine has been running.

VirtualBox- Review

With VirtualBox I am solving problems like tuff installing windows 10 on my computer which I don't know if its gonna turn well for me , I just simulate it and see how is my computer reacting on it , its like I am going around all hard and complicated installations and just installing it on easy way, that's also my main benefit.

Pros

What I like most about this software is his flexibility. You can choose it to simulate every computer software you like , from Windows (XP Vista, 7, 8, 10) to Linux and more. I would recommend it to every programmer or ethical hacker who is still learning about hacking, installation of all packages is really fast and easy. They are guiding you to every step and there is no chance you can make mistake. The simulations are very likely to original software which I found very amazing. Thank you VirtualBox!

Cons

What I least like about this software is that sometimes some simulations are very slow to install and use ,I don't know if its because of my computer or because VirtualBox system, its like I am having 25 FPS when I am on Linux Software, and internet can be very slow there, also In the beginning I couldn't find way to exit VirtualBox simulation, which I found very troubling.

Powerful Software that requires Powerful Users

Of course we have big margin of profit from services we provide to our customers. We are solving compatibility issues with legacy programs.

Pros

First and most of all, I like the fact that it's free because in our line of business we buy many apps and programs to support our customers and many programs are hard to own because of the cost. VirtualBox does all the work for free, leaving us able to get some profit. VirtualBox helps us with legacy software that cannot execute in newer OS, or software not compatible with Windows. So, we can provide our customers a middle solution to get updated with a newer OS and keep abandoned or unsupported old programs available and isolated from the main OS as well as isolated from the internet. In this way we keep our customers safe too, while the succeed in their job.

Cons

Some features require a little more knowledge or configuration to do in comparison to other paid software, but this is not a problem at all for advanced users.

Amazing and free virtualization software!

Virtualbox has been an amazing tool for us. We’ve never encountered any errors/problems and we were able to use their virtualization software just fine!

Pros

The simplicity, and ease of use caught my eye. I was looking for a great tool to run virtual machines, and Virtualbox was the one!

Cons

There aren’t alot of cons, because this software is so professional and efficient!