PaperCut

Print management solution designed to reduce waste

PaperCut Reviews

AT

Andy T.

TG

Timothy G.

We've realized no benefit from the product. We've only realized a tremendous loss on our investment and continue to do so.

WS

Winter S.

However, clicking the icon on the desktop often fixes the problem immediately.

TG

Timothy G.

4.4

Great product

We've been using PaperCut for just over a year, replacing our previous system, PCounter. After the initial setup, we haven't experienced many issues but when we have, their support has been great. From a support perspective it has enabled us to carefully track usage and issues, complete with automatically generated summary reports on a monthly basis.

Pros

Excellent reports Huge amount of customisation Support for multiple departments for users Useful integration with multi-function devices

Cons

Despite having a detailed audit for print jobs, there is no way built in to re-send those jobs if they fail (we wrote our own).

PaperCut - small enterprise

Installing PaperCut has permitted our organization to restrict usage of our printers to authorized persons only. We can also easily identify instances of excessive printing. Folks are no longer printing out 500 page cookbooks or encyclopedias in full color.

Pros

This software provides our users with the ability to send their print jobs to a default printer and retrieve that job from any printer on the network. That convenience alone is probably the best feature of this application for our users. The software is easy to set up and maintain. It can be configured to draw basic user information from Active Directory and you can manually enter individual accounts for persons who may not have an AD account. The application tracks printed pages for each user which can be beneficial for internal accounting purposes. Users can release print jobs by logging into the printer using the printer's touchscreen panel, or with their employee ID badge. PaperCut provides the badge readers.

Cons

We have experienced issues with with the ability of our users to print documents when different printers have had different versions of PaperCut firmware installed. It seems that the PaperCut software needs to have all printers using the same firmware version which must be appropriate for the specific version of the PaperCut software.

Do not purchase this product!

Pros

The product stops working constantly. Since we have had this product the only thing consistent about it, is that it won't work and that we will lose money on lost counts of print/copy charges. The response for repair is slow and often is a temporary fix. I will never be able to recover the money lost on this product. I would absolutely advise a small business owner to avoid this product. There are no pros, only cons.

Cons

If the product worked as advertised that would be an improvement. When the product doesn't work, it also impedes one's ability to use the printers.

Excellent Printing Management

We were hoping to reduce the number of documents that we printing. This product was crucial in meeting those goals.

Pros

I truly like that this software makes you think twice about printing by displaying the total cost to print your request. Budgeting allows you to charge printing jobs to specific departments. The built in reminders that you can print double-sided or in black and white to save money are helpful as well.

Cons

There are few things that I can think of that I would change about the product. It occasionally freezes and needs to be reset or has issues opening when used via a VPN. These issues are minor and infrequent.

Papercut MF School Ambient

This is must have software when you need to control user printing in the ambients that have many users.

Pros

This software is one of the most complete printing management software. It help reduce cost in printing, and helps ecological sustainability. It saves lots of paper, and its managment controller helps having control of the entire printing system.

Cons

The initial implementation is not that easy, and adding more devices also. The price is a bit higher, but it pays back.

Does what it needs to but no fun to manage.

We know who printed what and can type that into an invoice for them.

Pros

Users are in control of their own expenditure. Works across printing and photocopying. Linux, MacOS and Windows for server and users.

Cons

Doesn't catch USB dongle printing on Ricoh MFD. Made by developers for developers, no thought is given to UX. Lack of integrations and cloud service. Google Cloud print integration stinks to set up and so hard to use you won't want to roll it out to users. You have to be comfortable editing text files to take full advantage of features. No integration with invoicing software indicates the company's focus is not on administration.

Great Print Management Platform

PaperCut is pretty much everything we need in a print service. There are a few features that we don't have on our level of the platform, but it's been great for managing our printing and copying needs among all end users.

Pros

It gives a lot of information about our various print jobs, printers and copiers, and the users that do the printing and copying. There isn't a whole lot of maintenance. It also has a ton of features, even though we don't take advantage of all of them at this time. It's great that you can put up messages to users when they print or create print budgets if needed. It also is a great way to track people that are overusing printing rights like color.

Cons

We had some trouble getting it to work with recently adopted Macs. There are some features that are only available with a client on end user machines, but that's not a deal breaker.

PaperCut - Feature Rich, Incredible Value

Pros

This is the most feature-rich print management and cost recovery solution available. It is easy-to-use, quick to deploy, and simple to maintain. Really helps keep printing costs down and modify employee printing/copying behavior. They offer a free 40-day trial as well!

Cons

Absolutely nothing. PaperCut has an incredible Knowledge Base that helps us find the answers to nearly all of our questions.

Quality product and web-based management which makes things much easier!

Pros

This software pulls from Active Directory and is web-based to manage. It makes simple tasks very simple and is extremely user-friendly.

Cons

The customer support is a bit slow and recently ran into a licensing issue that locked down our software entirely. It also has a bad habit of, for no reason at all, creating users without copy tracking enabled which defeats the purpose in our environment.

Best Print management solution

Great product for keep the track of printing and the total costs. Easy to manage printers and users and permissions. Paper wastage is can be minimum.

Pros

Print server audit reports are the best and been able to integrate with RFID cards makes easier to reduce the wastage of papers. When the users go to the printer they can see the actual costs to print what ever they sent to print.

Cons

Configuration is a bit handful. Need some knowledge in installing and configuring it with the customization needed as per the organization needs.

Papercut in the School Setting

I wish we'd never added Papercut. Whatever we were using before was MUCH more teacher friendly. Papercut has been mostly frustrating to use. Papercut does not have issues every day, but when it does, they make my job very difficult.

Pros

Our school district starting using papercut a few years ago. I suppose, because it was convenient for those who worked in different settings and to track copier usage. It is convenient to be able to use any copier in the building to print something from my computer. This is really the only advantage I've experienced as opposed to being able to print to a designated copier before.

Cons

There are A LOT of things I do not like about papercut and most of them I've sent on to my IT people to share. However, I've not seen anything change in 2 years. There is no work around when internet is down. The copier becomes nonfunctional. This is a HUGE problem in schools because when internet is down, we often need to make paper copies to continue to do the lessons we had planned to do online. Also, the settings are not all functional. For instance, it defaults to 2 sided copies and I cannot print from my computer to the copier for one sided copies. This is an issue if I'm printing personalized, confidential information such as grade reports. Also, my experience has been that it seems to glitch a lot. I will put in for it to copy 35 copies and it runs 1.

PaperCut - Pros & Cons

I use PaperCut almost daily and I really like it. The look and the feel of the software is top-notch. It doesn't feel like just any software. I think it just needs to figure out a way to maintain good communication with the printer.

Pros

PaperCut is an exceptionally nice software that allows you to print for a price. I think the most amazing thing about PaperCut for me is that it estimates and discourages your paper use constantly, which I really appreciate. The way this software has been conceptualized really is amazing because it is so detailed for a software that is made to print! It shows your transaction history, recent print jobs, and even jobs pending release. Personally, I am very fond of PaperCut. I even like its logo; I think it's well-designed.

Cons

I don't like the fact that there is no two-way communication with PaperCut. For example, if a print job is ordered but suppose the printer is not working, PaperCut will still process the transaction and charge you accordingly. This really hurts students who are on a budget. I wish they came up with an idea to ensure that the software charges people only when the printer actually prints the paper.

Amazing Product, Built by Amazing Geeky People, No other product can touch it

Pros

PaperCut is clearly built by modern geeks that get it. They understand what users want, and build it. The software isn't some dated stodgy offering - it's fresh, packed with features, looks fantastic, is reliable, flexible, and super well documented. The culture really shows through! I wish all software was this good. +Follow-Me Printing +Google CloudPrint +Apple AirPrint +Web Print +Email to Print +Works with virtually any device, printer, MFP, copier +Awesome web interface +Easy upgrades +Great support +Constant development progress +Google Integration including SSO

Cons

-Some MFPs have better support than others

Take control of your company's printing

Papercut has revolutionized the way we handle printing in a K-12 school environment. Gone are the days of wondering who just printed a 500 page document--Papercut keeps track of it all.

Pros

Very easy to setup. Integrates with Microsoft Active Directory and gives you tons of different options to allow your users to print. Mobility printing is a game changer, especially if you have a lot of visitors to your company that may need to print but you don't want to give them the keys to your kingdom. There are many different reports you can run depending on what kind of data you need to look at. Web interface means I can manage it from wherever.

Cons

Lots of sub-menus. Sometimes the thing you want to do is buried under numerous tabs inside of other pages. The software does have a search feature which helps and after you spend some time in the software, you'll figure out where everything is.

makes your life easier - saves resources & money

Our experience with Papercut was only positive. We sell mostly to universities an this is a great advantage and helps so much. Maybe because it was also developed at University Melbourne. As this works perfectly for large user groups in a simple manner, we are convinced that this will be helpful for almost all businesses, reducing costs, comply with data protection and save trees and stress in your office.

Pros

+ easy to use + works with all types of embeddes, not specific to a vendor + web-based + very great support regarding implementation via ITS + saves so much paper and resources --> great for environment and everyone who ever had problems in finding his print in the printer + supports GDPR guldeslines as only the printing person receives the documents

Cons

We had only positive results and experiences yet. ITS Support could help with all needed questions, nothing to mention.

Print Management Success

Overall it’s a great experience. The system work well nearly 100 percent of the time. In the few cases it doesn’t, a quick fix is easy to find.

Pros

I like the ease of use most. The paper cut menu pops up immediately after selecting print. I can put in my department code quickly and retrieve the job with my ID card at any available printer. It has saved my college a great deal of money all over campus, especially at our Library.

Cons

The only problem I have encountered using this software is it can be delayed. The paper cut box doesn’t always pop up. However, clicking the icon on the desktop often fixes the problem immediately.

Amazing print tracking & deployment tool

PaperCut has drastically reduced the amount of time spent troubleshooting printing issues, and thus saved us a significant amount of money.

Pros

Very easy to use, can be easily managed in house. Turns printing from one of the most hated IT activities into a breeze to manage.

Cons

Licensing for devices can be expensive, especially for devices that require both server and device licenses.

A cut above the rest.

Our company was attempting to centralize printing (removing deskside printers), cut down on waste, and streamline printing to several large machines over several offices.

Pros

PaperCut is a strong enterprise level "follow me print" application that allows you to easily deploy and maintain a centralized printer fleet. This application helps reduce waste, enforce security policies, and provide centralized support/administration for IT.

Cons

So far I haven't found many cons. There have been some dififculty adapting some devices onto the application's printer drivers, but, the issues have been resolved with excellent product and technical support from the PaperCut team.

Papercut allows students to use our color printers without the risk of using all our supplies!

Allows students to print to our color printer without wasting print supplies

Pros

When we are working on projects, students like to print color. This used to be handled by them emailing me their print jobs and I would print to our color printer. Papercut allows them to print to the color printer by limiting page and copy count.

Cons

This product has been working great, however every now and then we need to contact IT as the printers wont respond. Not very often though.

Giving balances to students for color printing has saved a ton in toner!

Students can manage their own print jobs, preventing wasted toner and paper

Pros

Before PaperCut, students would either print to our color printer for EVERYTHING, or we would need to block them from using the color printer. Now we can allow a certain amount of printing per student, which helps them manage their own print jobs!

Cons

Sometimes printing from Chromebooks doesn't work, and IT says it is the link between papercut and google.

Helps us keep track of printer usage

PaperCut has reduced our annual print costs by thousands. We have restrictions setup that prevent students from printing in color or from printing unusually large print jobs. People also seem less likely to abuse their printing privileges when they know we can track it. The software has also made the process of installing printers on student laptops so much faster and easier. PaperCut has the ability to bill students for printing as well, though we don't currently use that functionality.

Pros

Easy to use, has great reporting, saves us thousands by tracking and reducing unnecessary printing, and it's very affordable.

Cons

The initial setup can be a bit complicated depending on how you're using it.

Papercut makes managing print jobs a breeze.

Helps us save on paper and toner, and identify problem users.

Pros

As a school district, we go through a ton of printer consumables. Papercut allows us to track and limit print jobs, and to see who our problem users are. We can set quotas to prevent unneeded printing from happening.

Cons

Google Cloud Print integration could be a little better, we have to republish our printers every now and then.

Super easy to use!

Overall, very easy way to handle print jobs for a large firm.

Pros

The end user experience is solid. Simple to enter data and great way to track printing. It gives all the necessary information right on the screen.

Cons

The admin console should be a bit easier to navigate. Several options should be consolidated to simpler menus

Papercut makes it extremely easy to track departmental expenses

Pros

Without Papercut our department could easily be hemorrhaging money due to the fact that EVERYONE likes using out printer, but with Papercut we can easily make sure the right people are being billed.

Cons

There can be a bit of a lag between hitting print and something printing due to the additional step of logging into Papercut.

Does what its supposed to do.

It does what its supposed to do, nothing special.

Pros

Tracking - you can see who's printing what and to where

Cons

Disconnections - if it is unable to contact the sever, you're stuck.