Spotlight Cloud Reviews

Cloud-powered SQL server performance monitoring

Spotlight Cloud

Review Summary

Daniel S.

Support has been fantastic and they seem to be open to feature recommendations.

Tim H.

Cons

Monitoring Always On availability groups is practically useless.

Daniel S.

Less features compared to existing software in Market. Alarms are little Annoying.

Nag K.

You cannot configure alerts on sleeping spid:s and no printing functionality on reports.

Peter G.

4.5

A (not so) hidden gem.

Before we chose Spotlight Cloud, we had researched other options--including Quest's on premise software, Foglight. We quickly realized we needed a solution that could be accessed anywhere--not an on premise option, and Spotlight Cloud offered this in its SaaS design. We've been using Spotlight Cloud for more than two years now and it's become a critical part of our daily survival/business continuity. The time it saves and the ability it offers to be proactive vs. reactive is something I cannot imagine being without.

Pros

The biggest benefit that Spotlight Cloud has given me is time. As a small business I wear many hats and my time is already spread thin. By not having to endlessly watch my SQL Servers for issues, my time has been freed for more important tasks. This is, in a word: priceless.

Cons

There are a few issues with Spotlight Cloud I have experienced, mostly UI and navigation driven. For instance, any time I try to "Acknowledge" an alarm, a comment box opens with another acknowledge button that must be clicked, but this button is obstructed by the UI's "Help" bubble and results in me having to tab through the screen to close the dialog. Though I've mentioned this minor detail several...

Spotlight Cloud Review

Pretty good

Pros

I use the health check for each of my servers daily to find potential missing indexes and other recommendations. I use the workload analyzer when I notice server performance issues and need to troubleshoot more effectively. One of the best functionalities are the recommendations given when diagnosing an alarm. I've found those to be greatly useful and not really done by other monitoring solutions.

Cons

Sometimes when using the workload analyzer and trying to find which query is being troublesome... it just tells me the SQL Batch is out of context besides the query. This is not very useful to me but there might not be a way around it on your side..

Spotlight overview

If you are going to buy this product your better off buying the on prim version as opposed to the Saas. The on prim version is much more stable and easier to use.

Pros

The ability to find and tune problematic queries.

Cons

The refresh rate is a minute so at best you only know what happened in the last minute. The play back feature is hard to used and restets itself. Alarms are hard to snooze and acknowledge, sometimes after the refresh the alarm comes back.

Effective monitoring at an affordable price

We've found Spotlight Cloud to be an easy to use and cost effective way to monitor our SQL instance. Spotlight has helped us to identify and fix performance issues, and be proactive dealing with any problems.

Pros

Clear and easy to understand layout. Easy to deploy. Minimal impact on the monitored server's performance. Lots of different alerts available and with options for customisation. Good value for money vs other non-cloud based monitoring alternatives. No issues syncing to the cloud. Support has been excellent.

Cons

Some of the automated alerts were lacking in information. E.g. Deadlock alert does not contain any information about the deadlock. The Availability Group monitoring does not have much detail. Acknowledging alarms requires numerous buttons to be clicked. The SSMS tuning pack slowed down SSMS when it was installed. It is not possible to have a mix of basic and pro subscriptions running through 1 account. Ideally we would only need a pro subscription for our production servers.

Great product at an affordable price

O really love this product. I would suggest improving the support experience. I have not had a good result all the times.

Pros

Cloud synchronization is great. Deployment is straightforward and you have all your instances monitored in a matter of minutes. Push notifications are awesome.

Cons

Monitoring Always On availability groups is practically useless. No features at all. This should be reviewed and implemented.

Best Monitoring Software Available

I've really enjoyed utilizing spotlight cloud over the last year at multiple sites. The ability to execute various alarm actions and really setup workflows has made life quite a bit easier for a DBA that manages a multitude of servers. Support has been fantastic and they seem to be open to feature recommendations.

Pros

Cloud Based Customizable Alert Actions Support is great

Cons

No Azure/AWS Capabilities Security could use a bit more attention

Great SQL Server Performance Monitoring Tool

We use it to tune table indexes from its recommendation and use it to see what resource we should add to the server.

Pros

I like the summary page and drill down capability and its easy to setup and easy to use.

Cons

I have not found something that bothers me.

Great for insight, difficult if you're not a true DBA

I find the software is definitely worth the money you put in to it. It is a great arsenal for monitoring my Databases and the server itself that runs it. Overall it has allowed us to make sure our DBs are running efficiently.

Pros

I love the visual aspect of Spotlight Cloud. I like that I can go in and see the good and the bad right up front. The animations are also pretty great.

Cons

There are certain errors that seem to re-occur and while that isn't the fault of the software. I don't seem to know how to get rid of them. I'm not a true DBA with expert knowledge of SQL Server. So, when I get the message(s) about the page "Page Life Expectancy" is 38 seconds. I don't understand what that means or how to fix it. The tutorial tries to explain what it is and how to fix it but when I do those steps, it just happens again. So I don't know what I'm doing. I should open a ticket but I don't so that's my fault.

Satisfied with the Product

Pros

1. Could based with 1y of data 2. Easy to Install and Monitor 3.Customer Support is great

Cons

1. Less features compared to existing software in Market 2. Alarms are little Annoying. 3. SQL Session information is not so great and dynamic

Gille

Pros

Easy to install and configure and to use

Feedback already provided

I have been using Spotlight on Premise for years an Spotlight Cloud is not substantially different in functionality. It has been positively enhanced.

Pros

Hi, Feedback has already been provided to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] during an hour conference call and few potential enhancement points have been taken by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]

Cons

Execution Plans are not always easily available to see.

Invaluable Tool for SQL SERVER DBA's

We have had very many performance issues especially during the month end process and were able to sort out the issues by highlighting the code which was causing the problems. Further the resource utilisation data has helped us fine tune our code to bring about greater perforamnce

Pros

The required data is highlighted clearly ensuring that the DBA does not have to go hunting for the problem areas. Not only does it get highlighted, the background data pertaining to that issue is also made available ensuring that corrective action can be taken immediately. Enough reports are available and data is there over a period to spot trends and handle any spikes in user activity.

Cons

The alerts could have a wizard like setup and or be bunched together in various categories - the need to shutdown or acknowledge each and every alert is very time consuming especially for issues which are very trivial.

See it all at a glance

Pros

Super easy to use. Very easy to see exactly what you want at a glance but also simple to drill into items to get more data so also very handy when researching issues.

Cons

Configuring alerts and thresholds is not a cloud activity. Have to do it via the monitoring app running on a server.

A great help in managing a SQL Server

Very handy in identifying processes which were causing our SQL server to run slowly.

Pros

Very easy to see issue develop and determine the cause. Excellent for a power user who is not a full-on server administrator.

Cons

It can be a little overwhelming to begin with and you do still need to know about the processes which make up the server you are monitoring. That is to be expected.

Cloud product still needs work.

I have found the alerts to be buggy. In one case I received over 11000 alerts for one event, and in other cases I never received the alert.

Pros

Having one interface to see all my servers is convenient.

Cons

If I want to customize an alert I have to do it for each database. I can't just make the change once and have it apply to all databases. This is actually one of the reasons we are looking at other products. Alerts don't always send out emails like they should.

Good product needs more details

Pros

Great to monitor SQL servers from a mobile phone.

Cons

It needs more details to be added to it. Provided information are not enough to understand the issue.

Usage

Pros

Ease of use, no problems using it and would recommend.

Cons

No Issues, easy to use, didn't experience any problems.