WhatsUp Gold Reviews - Page 2

Happy customer

using for network issues troubleshooting . Very convenient tool

Pros

Currently we're using ping , http monitoring for internal network and also for outsided websites. In live gives me the picture of what's happening with the network if any problems. Overall gives what I'm expecting. I know there are a lot of other features available but don't use them yet.

Cons

It's sitting on the local server so I don't have access to it from outside (from app for example) which not very convenient. Also, we had to purchase third party monitoring system to monitor What's up, in case any problem with internet or with actual server. To have some outside monitoring system would be helpful too.

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

Great monitoring, alerting and switch config backup

Running it for over 4 years and it never went down. Reliable alerting once you get it setup.

Pros

Automated Switch config backups. Great monitoring and alerting systems. Easy viewing and great for displaying on a monitor.

Cons

Complicated alarm setup. No mobile option.

Excellent monitoring

We switched to WUG from OPManager, brought network monitoring back in house. This saved the company $33K a year. I had previously used WUG at a different company. When I mentioned the potential cost saving the CIO (Big fan of Solarwinds) thought I might be biased, so he gave the project to the other engineer. Luckily he came up with the same results. I was able to display the same information (add more) on the big screen with WUG vs Solarwinds, so the CIO agreed to switch.

Pros

I like the easy of the setup and flexibility of the product. We had two other products SolarWinds and OPmanager. Both complicated compared to WUG. To the point we were not using them accept for the basics. Just today I added a new site.

Cons

Some bulk items have to be done on the server and can't be done on the webpage

WUG Review

the product is easy to use and not too expensive, it makes it a good fit for my company.

Pros

The ease of use and the renewal cost of the product

Cons

the more the product grows the more functionality they seem to take out of it.

Quick & Easy

Pros

We deployed this in less than a day and had it configured pretty well in a few days.

Cons

The licensing is a bit complicated, so that took some time before deploying it to make sure we had the right license.

Robust Product / Dashboard

Have been using it for 15 years and never disappointed. Easy to upgrade. Customer support is fantastic.

Pros

The Dashboard and ease of setting up new devices and alerting.

Cons

Took a bit to learn the interface and how to set up active monitors.

Visibility is the key

Setting up took a bit time but once it's up and running, pretty much worry free. LOVE IT.

Pros

I have been using WhatsUp Gold since 2007 while the main purpose at the time is to see "what is up and what is down". Over the course of the past 13 year as a WUG user, the focus, to me, is switching to have the visibility of our entire network. How is our Internet bandwidth usage? How is the CPU/memory consumption on the application server, etc. I can't imagine how I can do troubleshooting without WUG.

Cons

The VoIP and Wireless module they offer do not work with what we have. That's probably the only down side that I wish everything can be included in one tool.

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

Great software for network monitoring!

It's great to monitor the network and get the notifications, but we really miss the scrolling maps.

Pros

We've been using What's Up Gold for almost 2 decades and it works well. It helps keep our users happy and less unexpected service calls.

Cons

We don't like that it doesn't offer the scrolling maps like we had prior. We upgraded from an older version that we used to have the scrolling maps on a large LCD monitor in our NOC so our techs could identify faults easily. The newest edition of this software doesn't have it. Seems rather resource intensive too (server side).

excellent monitoring software

we started using this software many years ago. originally, we started before the Gold version existed. it has been running ever since, and it usually provides the first warning when something goes wrong. it also tells us when something is starting to look a little funny, so most of the time we can address the issue before it becomes an issue.

Pros

you can monitor just about anything with this software. that's the whole point of monitoring. if you can't monitor everything you want, you need to find a different product.

Cons

feature wise, i have no problems with the software. however, it is a little pricey. it's not anywhere near as expensive as some other monitoring suites, but it is still a little pricey for a small business.

Thank you for your review and for being a valued customer. We appreciate your feedback!

WhatsUp Gold in SBM Law Firm

Monitoring of our IT infrastructure for availability and performance. it is easy to create monitoring policy and alerts for a small IT shop to be more proactive in spotting potential service impacting events

Pros

The ease of setup and configuration allowed for minimal time and staff to create our monitoring environment. It is intuitive enough that all staff members can easily make required changes and that is a blessing for small IT environments .

Cons

The additional virtual machine monitoring add-on is not up to where it needs to be. individual Hyper-V Server monitoring is ok but once you try and manage and monitor a failover cluster it becomes a mess. This addon is not ready for non VMware environments.

I use it everyday for the past 15 years. Earlier versions were a bit easier to understand.

Pros

I like the graphics. The graphs are great. The product does a lot. It is familiar to me as I've used WUG since 1998

Cons

The product is complex to setup. I need direction/training on all that it can do as it is no longer obvious.

Hi and thanks so much for the kind words! We¿re delighted that you¿re enjoying WhatsUp Gold and we love hearing about how you¿re using it. Please note that we do have a number of videos on Youtube that go into detail on our most recent release WhatsUp Gold 2018 as well as a Quick Tips series of how-to videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2lCWFrs4paSSNpe1JnTnQ If you have further questions about using WhatsUp Gold please feel free to contact us directly or visit our online Community at commmunity.ipswitch.com for more help. Thanks again for using WhatsUp Gold.

Great for keeping track of complicated systems

I've worked in many offices and data centers that use this, and it seems to be the standard. So it's refreshing to walk into a new work-space and already be comfortable using WhatsUp. It's one of the more widespread used software packages (probably for a good reason!)

Pros

I had used other monitoring software before but none were as easy to use and reliable as WhatsUp Gold. The visual representation of your system is the most valuable because it makes everything so much easier to explain over the phone to people. You can have custom settings, alarms, triggers, etc that can all notify the right people. It makes it so much easier to keep things going and have the proper users/admins involved. The way it keeps everything organized is very useful and saves a lot of time with guess-work.

Cons

WhatsUp can be a little on the sensitive side, which I supposed can be a plus for some important machines - but annoying for others. I've had a few times where there were false triggers or errors that weren't a big deal. But from the customer point of view, I'd view this as a gain. It's always good to be ultra aware of whats happening on your network, especially if it's your job!

Thank you Dave for the review and for being a customer.

WhatsUp Gold

We use Whatsup Gold to proactively tell us when something is wrong before users start complaining. It has served us well in this capacity We use WUG thresholds and netflow data to determine when business (and non-business) processes are interfering with user performance at our branches with limited network capacity. We use the netflow data and work with the branch to have the offending processes eliminated...

Pros

The ease of adding a device, and getting monitors configured with alerts is what like best. To go from no monitoring to getting a text/email when something goes wrong is relatively easy with this product. The ease of putting specific graph items on a page (dashboard) is also very useful.

Cons

The biggest problem with this product is the performance/capacity of the product to generate graphs. Using java to fetch data from the database to paint pages is slow. I can collect 500,000 data items and generate 100,000 graphs without much horsepower with a tool like CACTI which uses php and flat text rrd files to paint the graph. I can put ten times as many graphs on a page and it still paints...

WhatsUp Gold allows us to be proactive

Pros

It allows us to fix most things before the phone calls come pouring in

Cons

We are very happy with the software for what we use it for, daily network monitoring.

Great for monitoring network equipment

Provides great monitoring for network issues and machines connected to the network

Pros

The ability to monitor critical machines and connections to observer performance, switching, and other issues. We use email alerts which reach the IT team via email which we can get at our desk or on our mobile phone cuts down on the response time to resolve any issues. The backup configurations and archiving in WhatsUp performs very well. the application is used for both Cisco routers and switches.

Cons

Web interface functionality could be improved and will need to get additional training to fully utilize all the features available in What's Up for maximum usage.

I like the products!

Overall products is good but it needs more easy configurations for basic setting.

Pros

I could view all device status in simple network map

Cons

It is hard to update the changed info. Also too hard to manage notifications.

long time customer

Very good. ive been very pleased with the service and depend on this daily to deliver important health updates.

Pros

ive used this product over 20 years. the last five years has seen this product grow and stabilize, with very good customer service. ease of use after deployment. dont be fooled. any product in this catagory needs extensive planning. if you do this, it will pay dividends.

Cons

we see that when flexibility is added, so is the complexity. there is a learning curve. but this applies also to similar competitive products.

Thank you for being a long time valued customer and for your review!

WhatsUp Gold Features

I have this on all my switch and SCADA network, on the switch I can break to see performance monitoring Switch interfaces, Utilization, Memory and CPU pretty simply, grouping is also a nice feature.

Pros

This product was easy to setup and scan your network, with a few clicks you are off and running monitoring your devices. Another nice feature is the up and down dependency which stops 100's of alerts firing off all at once. The mapping is a nice feature to see all of your network in one glance.

Cons

I wish this product was cloud based and a mobile app

WhatsUp gold is a good bare bones monitoring tool. The UI and UX is probably one of the worst

Provides basic reporting. What you see is sometimes what you get, but there could be so much more potential with the product.

Pros

the product is not expensive. The ease of use has slightly improved. Upgrades and patches are no longer a problem like they were in the past.

Cons

I don't trust the alerting The UI and UX is terrible. The dashboards you can create are extremely limiting There doesn't seem to be any built-in "hey you haven't been alerting on X,Y,Z, but you should because our other customers do and they see improved results" The competition is leaps and bounds ahead, but so is their price point.

Development is a little slow, but breadth of functionality is decent

Overall, there are better solutions dedicated to networking, and solutions dedicated to

Pros

Discovery of devices works really well. The ability to create custom SNMP, WMI, and Powershell monitors is also very valuable.

Cons

The frequency of supported monitors being built and added to the solution is quite slow. For example, Unifi support has been discussed for multiple years, but is still not available.

WhatsUp Gold as a Monitoring Tool

I enjoyed using the Windows application view and took a while but I'm now comfortable with the web interface. It provides a critical part of our monitoring environment.

Pros

The ability to easily monitor various items such as Services, Logs (via syslog), SNMP, WMI. Sending periodic reports via email to get snapshots of the system and network statuses.

Cons

Exchange application monitoring is thorough but almost too thorough. I had to adjust quite a few monitors to get a more simplified view.

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

We have been using Whats Up Gold for 17 years and love it!

We live in a very mobile world! I can travel anywhere and get text messages whenever something fails! I am always the first to know when something is down!

Pros

I have worked with many other platforms and the setup and configuration takes many weeks to perform. What's Up Gold can be set up in a day! It is extremely easy to work with. We monitor over 200 switches on our network. The notifications we get are very reliable!

Cons

Loved look and feel of Version 16.5. We are staying on that for awhile. The newer versions are much different and I am not ready to change.... my problem.

Multiple sets of eyeballs for a small team

Pros

The fact that WhatsUp Gold is so versatile is a huge win. You can do basically anything you need with it, and with us having a two person IT Ops team to cover the availability of all systems and services, it really acts as an all-seeing set of eyes into our infrastructure.

Cons

With versatility comes complexity of implementation. It's not as easy as just adding a new monitor. You have to have the type selected, include a maintenance schedule, etc.

Thank you for the review and for being a valued customer.

WhatsUp Gold is a great product!

It aids us in troubleshooting our network when a device like a switch or router goes down.

Pros

I like that it sends us notifications when a device goes down on the network. It allows us to be able to start troubleshooting before we get a call from a customer. The Network Traffic Analysis tool also helps us to monitor traffic and find potential problems.

Cons

I don't really have any complaints about the product.

Great Product

Its great, really easy to use and allows IT to be more proactive about their environment. Its nicely displayed in our team area on a digital NOC.

Pros

Useful dashboards, and alerts that allows our team to fully see how our environment is behaving in realtime. Allows us to be more proactive than reactive.

Cons

It would be great if this application came with all the "add-on" instead of purchasing individual plugins.