FileCenter Logo

FileCenter

Document management and PDF editing software

FileCenter Reviews

4.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.45/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

They have a great support team, and a great consulting team that really helped us move forward quickly with setting up the software so it would work best with our company model.
Customer service has always been excellent. It is one of the pieces of software that I have recommended to many other small business owners.
I've made the mistake of going with a database drive system with my last software and had a hard time getting my data out of the system when I switched software.

Chris K.

Design, self-employed

Awesome Software - great replacement for Neat!

Overall it has been very positive. When I have had issues, support has been quick to fix. They have been open and responsive to product suggestions, and I feel as a customer that they value and appreciate us.

Pros

I ended up switching to FileCenter from Neat Software as Neat was getting too expensive and I found it very slow to log receipts/etc. I like that File Center keeps the files and receipts on your computer (easy to sync between different devices using Google Drive or other Cloud Services). You can set up your boxes and drawers however you want. I also like that DMS, Receipts, & Automate are all in...

Cons

There is a delay in switching between receipt boxes/drawers as you wait for it to load. Once you are in it is fast - but it would be nice if the load time is a bit faster. This might be because I am using a Cloud Drive as the source for my files. There are also a few bugs (persistent settings preferences that don't save) that we have been waiting for awhile to be fixed - however the software updates themselves come regularly.

GJ

Gordon J.

Retail, 11-50 employees

Simply the best for the price

Pros

I've used this steadily for over 10 years now and find it indispensable in getting rid of old paperwork. The fact that it uses it's own interface which also works with the windows file system is the main reason I bought it. Getting tied into proprietary software filing systems if I later switched to something else was not something that was acceptable. It is simple to set up and use, works like a charm, and is constantly being improved. The yearly upgrade price (around $40 for my version) is very fair and allows them to stay in business. Since the initial backers were from the legal profession, there are a lot of features designed for that market but they do not detract from my using it at all. It works like a charm with my Epson ES-500W scanner.

Cons

I know this is being picky but some years ago they took out the button that would quickly do a two page scan. I really liked that feature. Now that I have seen their Receipts software, I would love it if they could integrate some of it's features so I could use scanned names, invoice dates, etc for naming files. This is not a con but it would be nice.

LR

Larry R.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

file center a great service for professionals

Pros

i like how easy it is to submit document and have my clients see my files. i also like how its easier to find them.

Cons

file center is not best when first starting out once you get the basics its very useful.

SM

Scott M.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

FileCenter Simply Doesn't Work

FileCenter has constantly crashed ever since we first purchased it several years ago. Usually can't even open the software. We've contacted support many times and never get anywhere. They blame our computer, but we run it on the same system we use for 3D work, video editing, etc. We have no issues with any other software on this massively built machine. Even during one of the updates, it worked for...

Pros

Interface layout is nice. Wanted the enhanced thumbnail view, but this software won't even run for a few minutes without crashing.

Cons

Crashes and non-helpful support, so can't really add much here. We've never been able to use it very much.

KP

Kevin P.

Founder and Owner

I usually don't write these reviews, but after finding FileCenter I feel I need to help spread the word about this great software product. If you run a small office, you should at least give FileCenter a try. It will make dealing with the daily flows of computer and paper files much easier, and your office staff will love you for it. FileCenter has a lot to offer in the paperless context. We primarily...

TB

Tim B.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1-10 employees

awesome software...but there's issues

I love everything about the software...but the scanning part is very frustrating

Pros

I love everything about it...except for the scanning issues

Cons

TWAIN scanner stops working constantly...while I can use other software to scan just fine.

DV

David V.

Construction, 11-50 employees

Great resource for organizing document storage

Really good support, overall this product helps us keep our digital filing organized and saves time.

Pros

Makes it very quick and easy to manage PDF files for all our accounting documents. Really appreciate the naming and sorting tools, preview and the simple editor. We chose FileCenter because it just stores regular files in regular windows folders, so you don't need the software to access them. Works great with OneDrive and Sharepoint.

Cons

The scanning settings can get a bit involved but not really FileCentres fault, its what's needed for broad support. The program can crash occasionally after windows updates before the patch comes out but never causing a loss of work.

MP

Marianne P.

Filecenter

I find that I need to password protect FileCenter and the pdf’s that I am emailing. We are constantly reminded from IRS that we must protect our computers and our software. I am so happy that FileCenter has these features.

Pros

This software has a very quick learning curve. I had to teach it to an employee, and it takes no time at all. It’s easy to set up cabinets, folders and files and access them. I like the feature that allows you to send an email with password protection. Very easy to do. I scan all our documents for our accounting firm which includes tax returns and financial statements for our bookkeeping and retainer clients.

Cons

There is nothing I don’t like about this software.

Rv

Ronald v.

Warehousing, 1,001-5,000 employees

Good Product but Deceptive Pricing

Pros

The software does what it claims, and works very well.

Cons

Lucion's deceptive policy. Their site claims to subscription. Turns out that is exactly what there Maintenance fee is. I received a message informing me there was an update available, but when it came to installing it, I was told my maintenance had expired. So what, this was an update, not an upgrade, I have never needed tech support, why should I pay for an update? Standard S.O.P. for software in...

JL

Jim L.

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

Great software

I have been extremely happy with my purchase of FileCenter Document Management. I use the software for my credit repair business. It makes my life so much easier when going to look for my files or even to store them by scanning or printing. I have contacted their support department a couple of times and they had a great response time and were able to answer my questions.

Pros

The software is so easy to set up and start using. I love the fact that I can set up templates for my folder structures as well as my file names so that we can all be consistent in our office when naming files. The OCR module is included in the package of software, as well as the ability to edit files. These two features alone is worth the investment.

Cons

None that I have experience yet

We are glad to have been able to help you out Jim. Thanks for being a customer and giving us the opportunity to serve you.

PS

PETER S.

Financial Services, 10,001+ employees

Helped me manage and organize files, saves me space and paper, it's a delight!

Save time browsing files without having to open them, save space by storing files on my computer, save money by buying less paper, not to mention the environment.

Pros

My 2 favorite features, among so many, are the file preview, where you can browse any file without opening and the print to pdf, feature, where you can take any web page, word document or email and turn it into an accurate pdf file.

Cons

There are so many functionalities with this, that it is hard to say anything negative about it, I absolutely love it! You may think it's a little expensive, however, when you see the amount of time, space and paper that you save, it's more than worth it. You have to ask yourself, how much does a new filing cabinet cost for the added files that you have accumulated.

KA

Kent A.

Simple Cost Effective Replacement to My Old System

I had been using another product previous to FileCenter, but the cost became to great to stay with them. After taking some time to search for a suitable replacement, I found FileCenter. Initially, I started by using the FileCenter Standard product at home to become familiar with it. I had wanted a home version of my previous software, but they were $40 a month/user and FileCenter was $50 one time for...

Cons

This is for the Professional edition of our FileCenter product.

BW

Brien W.

Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees

File Center is my paperport replacment

There tech support is the best. Since moving from paperwork I get a lot of things done faster and my computer is organized better.

Pros

I like how I can print a pdf to my folders in file center then I can email the file to my vendors then place my file into a folder for that I know I have emailed it.

Cons

I keep closing preview windows and forget where to add it back. That is so far the only con I have on File Center

JE

James E.

Farming, 201-500 employees

Does what other could not, awesome powerful application for user at all levels.

This was the only software solution that could be found that did not require another sql server instance to be installed. Our many reason for purchase was to have an easier solution to archive company records. Very easy user interface. We use this primarily to manipulate scanned documents to an archive server. This makes it very easy for a user to 'know" exactly where they are on the network.

Pros

Easy manipulation of large network folder structure. No need to install sql server as competitor software required. Fast user learning curve. Customization for large user group or individuals.

Cons

No ability to integrate with a network copier. (4 stars for this) Updates can break connections with third party software.

GR

Greg R.

Retail, 11-50 employees

A great document manager and OCR engine

Saving documents and relying less on printouts. Searching PDFs that have been imported makes things easier to find.

Pros

Easy to import documents by scanning or saving into the cabinets, thumbnails make identifying documents easy, PDF editor has so many features.

Cons

The PDF editor has lots of menus and many features, while present, are hard to find.

RR

Randy R.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 1-10 employees

Pop up is annoying

Pros

Great at editing PDF files and combining several PDF files into one.

Cons

I do not use the cabinets and drawers, preferring to use explorer, but I have to select Switch to Windows each time I search or save file. After one year of use an annoying pop up displays when the program starts saying something like your subscription has expired.

MG

Massimo G.

Machinery, 11-50 employees

PDF for all

We use FileCenter to scan ad organize all the paper of our shop: orders, bills, drawings ... everything in one stable and well engineered software. Before we use Papermaster ... FileCenter is better.

Pros

Ease of use Stability Full of utility to use to organize and modify PDF

Cons

At the firsth touch you may have some difficults to reach all the functions.

RR

Ray R.

Automotive, 11-50 employees

Best Scanning Software Ever

Errorless use over last two years, the experience has been effortless and very productive.

Pros

Ease of use and full of features, able to sink with all the cloud services, editing, errorless use over last two years

Cons

Would like to see better PDF editing features

BK

Bonnie K.

I love using FileCenter. It has helped organize our business and makes scanning documents a breeze!

Pros

I love the ease of the scan feature. Being able to append and prepend documents without any fuss. Also being able to edit a scanned document is another of my favorite features.

Cons

There have been some instances where the software freezes up while trying to communicate with windows explorer.

jm

jorge m.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

File Center Review

Wonderful.

Pros

My office uses this software everyday. We scan and archive everything with file center. Very easy to use and has given my employees no problems at all.

Cons

None at the moment. My workers have had no issues and seem to like this product.

AF

Albert F.

Insurance, 1-10 employees

Fantastic Program

I used to use Paperport but switched to FileCenter. This program is superior in every way to Paperport and has more features. I use it everyday and I am very satisfied with the results. I recommend this program.

Pros

Ease of use.

Cons

None

EM

Eric M.

Great software easy to use for businesses and families

Pros

Integration with scanners, management of PDF files (modification, merge, delete pages, insert pages, tagging, metadata...), web portal

Cons

The cost of the core system plus the cost of the web portal make this system quite expensive for personal usage (which is how I'm using it)...

dj

dawn j.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Good value for your money

We love the software, especially for the price. It is easy to use, easy to set up , but packed full of features. We have used another electronic document management software, at a much higher price, but we have even more features with the more expensive software.

Pros

Ease of use; price, features

Cons

Training could be better

ET

Elliot T.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Finally found a program that is user friendly

The program is very versatile as well as user friendly. There are more functions than I need, but reduces to simple for me. The Support that i received from Kevin Anderson, was exceptional. He was knowledgeable, and patient with me. My problem was immediately resolved. This is a winner.

Pros

Lots of options. Can take them or leave them depending on my needs

Cons

Nothing yet

JD

Jameson D.

Automotive, 201-500 employees

Terrible Customer Service

Pros

When it is functioning like it is supposed to it it great. We do a lot of scanning into and emailing out of this program and when it doesn't crash it works fine.

Cons

5-6 months after we bought File Center 9, File Center 10 was released. After 10 was released we started having issues with crashing and scanning. I reached out to tech support and they let me know that will not be supporting File Center 9 any more and told me I need to purchse Filecenter 10 for all the PC's that we are running to "possibly" fix the issue. This company is terrible I can't get support for a product I purchased multiple copies of less than a year ago without spending 100's of dollars with them again. The worst thing is they can't even guarantee upgrading will fix my problems. Do not buy this companies product.