HoudiniEsq Reviews

4.16/5 (137 reviews)

Nathan D. McMurry

It's my understanding this product built by architect of much larger yet more stagnate competitor.

Reviewed 2017-12-12

Peace of Mind. My information is secure and isn't going anywhere. It is always available to me. I have a very good rapport with my Houdini IT Department.Versatility- This product intended for lean and mean firms. You don't need to have a Masters Degree in Computer Science, but it helps if you are somewhat computer savvy. There are features on this program that have been integrated in that even I haven't found time to master... yet (e.g., Quickbooks and Excel). Comprehensive- Lower your IT overhead costs. These people know what they're doing. Your investment here means less investment in some IT guy sitting in a corner twiddling his or her thumbs. When they say 99.9% up-time, they mean it. This is an incredibly powerful time-keeping program, that has a very good overlap with document integration. Customer Service- Usually only the occasional call, but they are ALWAYS there, and can walk you through any issues.

Kelly McIlhargey

Houdini 2.0 is a vast improvement over prior versions

Reviewed 2017-03-08

We unexpectedly updated to Houdini 2.0 so the difference was quite a shock, but we have found it to be much more user friendly than previous versions. The response time is also much faster when adding notes, contacts, events, and matters. We are only on day 3 here with version 2.0 but the ease of use is biggest improvement we could have asked Houdini for. Also, the customer service has been absolutely amazing. Since we had no warning of the upgrade from our system administrator, we were caught on our heels on a busy Monday morning; however, every time we called for help, which we did multiple times over the course of the day, we were given outstanding service and attention. I wish I could rate the customer support higher than 5 stars.I'm not sure yet. So far, the speed is by far the best improvement. Version 1.9 would stall or take a long time to access contacts, events, and matters. So far, we have not experienced these delays with version 2.0.

Alexander Gilburg

Houdini Esq is smooth, powerful, flexible, logical and secure. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Reviewed 2017-11-06

Houdini makes my life easier and my practice more productive and profitable.I have been practicing law for almost a quarter century. I started with Houdini many, many years ago, when the project was still teething (I switched from Abacus). I can confidently say that even in infancy Houdini and its combination of logic, power and flexibility were head and shoulders above any other package on the market, many costing three times more. Since then, the management and development teams had nurtured and evolved this software into an awesome powerhouse with intuitive, user-friendly features, and absolutely unique capabilities, which other packages sorely lack. Magic has universal appeal, and Houdini is equally well suited for solo practitioners, who appreciate its instinctive simplicity, and multinational law firms, who take advantage of its infinite customization and industrial-strength features. I can wholeheartedly recommend Houdini to any law firm regardless of its size or practice areas.

Taras Kurta

HoudiniESQ: A promising case management program

Reviewed 2015-01-14

Overall, I am very satisfied with HoudiniESQ. I have used the one-account free version to manage the cases for my budding law firm for several months now. The program is relatively straight-forward. Many of the program's parameters can be readily customized, which I appreciate. Also, it can upgraded to accommodate my growing legal practice. Customer service is generally pretty on-point when it comes resolving occasional issues. Plus, the price can't be beat! For a sole-proprietor like me, the fact that the program is offered free of charge for a one-seat account, was a big selling point when I was opening up my law firm. However, as with any case management program, there are a few drawbacks to HoudiniESQ that I would like to see corrected. For instance, some minor cleanup may be necessary when it comes to invoices. Presently, I have to limit the length of each task that I enter into HoudiniESQ for any given client because, if the task description is on the longer side, it will be cut off on my invoice, with a "..." appearing at the end. I wish that the program could simply carry over the rest of the task description to the line below. Also, there is another invoicing issue. More specifically, if a decide to not charge a client for a task, but still want to have the task appear on the invoice as a "no charge," I have to remember not to open up the task again after I put "0" for the charge about b/c, if I do, HoudiniESQ will automatically refill the charge amount per the going rate for the task, effectively overriding my override. Left unnoticed, this issue can cause MAJOR issues b/c the error tends to spill over to future invoices. Another issue that needs to be addressed has to do with calendaring. I regularly use Google Calendar for organization. But, almost immediately after syncing my HoudiniESQ with my Google Calendar, I had to turn off syncing. The problem was that syncing made all of my case tasks appear on my Google Calendar, regardless of whether the task was an upcoming hearing reminder or a notation that I received and read a letter from an opposing attorney. In effect, my Google Calendar became heavily cluttered, showing tasks that have no reason to be on my calendar. In short, I would like more control over the calendar syncing option and invoicing. I trust that these issues can be fixed in future updates. But, all-in-all, I am very happy with this program and I think that it shows great promise. Thank you, and keep up the good work!

Scott Peterson

The best there is but not for the entry level user

Reviewed 2015-01-22

Cons: HoudiniEsq has learning curve. This is not a terrible thing when all things are considered. The product is feature rich. It does a lot of things and does them very well but getting setup does take time. Since every organization has its own way of doing things it would be difficult to have a system that is customized to a particular preference out of the box. I think if there was a way to add custom fields or change labels directly on the forms instead of a admin panel it would really make the setup more intuitive. Pros: HoudiniEsq really shines when it comes to collecting data. You can customize the product. Fields can be added to Matters, Contacts and Events. You can have fields placed by the record's type, subtype and or status code. Fields only appear if they apply. This unclutters the screens. I love the fact that we can place fields based on a status code. As a case moves from one phase to another, new fields appear and the others are hidden. A huge benefit is the ability to create custom forms. Forms are child records of a matter. This enables us to collect a lot of very specific but repetitive information like injuries for each party without having to see hundreds of fields on screen. Each form neatly collects and displays this information. It deserves a mention that you can change practically any label in the system as well. Another area we are very pleased with is the ability to create templates that will merge data including custom fields. We can generate one document or several in a single shot. We like the ability to use these templates with the workflow automation feature to generate supporting docs automatically. The workflow automation feature isn't limited to docs. You can calendar events, send email, reminders and notifications. HoudiniEsq is worth a serious look. I would not suggest this product to a Solo although according to the HoudiniEsq LinkedIn group solos are very happy with it. HoudiniEsq isn't an entry level product like My Case or Clio. Simplicity isn't its mainstay it is the ability to handle the complex that sets it apart. If you wouldn't use Pro Law then you probably shouldn't consider HoudiniEsq. I'm not saying Solos should stay away, the solos who do use HoudiniEsq seem to be the enterprising upstarts who are growing their businesses quickly. Currently not for Solos, a con only if you need an entry level product. I give HoudiniEsq 5 stars overall because it really can do remarkable things.

Bruce Gilmore

Review of HoudiniESQ

Reviewed 2015-01-14

Pros: Platform independent and on-premise and cloud options. Features and included plugins Cloud services integration Browser interface. Scalable licensing. Multiple supported back-end database choices. Opportunity to architect legitimate HA and DR solutions. Cons: Adobe Flash as a front end is somewhat of a non sequitur. My experience with support has been measured in days. I've had to send follow up emails after no response for 3+ days to hopefully keep a support request alive. I'm currently on day 9 waiting for a response. I don't necessarily expect a solution, but I do expect a response; especially after multiple follow up emails. I've done some testing with "short codes" but the product feels a bit reliant on the mouse to navigate the interface and input data. The document storage architecture appears to only offer a single folder approach when storing files and templates. A nested physical folder structure is preferred and common in firms. Logical folders by matter, case type and doc type would be an advantage when dealing with many templates and files. This might also exclude the need to manually (re)assign and maintain the metadata assignments of all documents via the gui interface. Finally, the doc management approach requires full commitment to document access and management through the user interface and the provided plugins. Integration with a content management system or a scanning and imaging solution while possible via ECF, is a non-starter due to the required manual cloning of documents into IRIS The API while advertised as simple and easy to use appears to not have much if any documentation or reference material to support very simple proof of concept integrations Finally, the reputation of HoudiniESQ on the street is "it's one-man shop". Overall Impression: My overall impression of the product is good. I like the platform and the enterprise approach. The coverage of specific and general needs of many different law firms is impressive. Integrations are there for targeted solutions like Google,Dropbox,Evernote but integrations outside of those select few seem dependent upon the development pipeline. The full commitment required to IRIS with little to no opportunity to bring enterprise doc management/workflow automation to the solution is a little unnerving. Generally speaking the feel of the platform is constrained primarily by the UI and doc management.

Jeff Stouse

Does what it does better than the others...

Reviewed 2015-01-14

(Full disclosure: I am an INDEPENDENT legal practice management consultant who chooses which products I want to work with... and a HoudiniEsq consultant - among others.) HoudiniEsq is one of a few legal practice management products that actually gets it: it will do a lot of end-user concepts (custom forms, triggers, document management/generation) better than any other legal practice management product. It also does a lot of the administration concepts (true relational database; updates that work and don't force you to roll back because they don't install properly, flexibility to run in almost any environment) very well too. HoudiniEsq makes it easy to capture and bill time; it allows firms the ability to create and store data on custom forms that provide the firm with the necessary data in order to function efficiently; it is intuitive and continues to add new features that mean something to the user base, and not just something a marketing guy thought would be great to list on a brochure - heck I don't even know if they have a "marketing guy"! Mobility is probably it's strongest point: it can be accessed by a phone/tablet/laptop, and an iPhone app is in the works (currently it's biggest end-user request.) The list of what it doesn't do is a small list: besides the above-mentioned iPhone app, electronic billing is probably at the top. It continues to grow its list of end-user features, often because the developer listens to the requests that come directly from its users. And the price: FREE for solos? You cannot beat that deal. Add more users and pay more, but you are still paying for a product that works, and every time they make a product release the response from the user base is "Yes!" and not "So what? Does this stuff actually work?" Want to write a check and not deal with updates, backups and server updates - go with the SaaS version and pay monthly. If you still prefer the idea of your data residing on your servers in your office, then go with the On-premise version. Not all practice management programs offer both options. While not perfect (no software is), it ranks at the top of my list when clients look for legal practice management software.

Andrew Hamilton

Great Software with a Few Speed-Bumps

Reviewed 2015-01-14

I have used Houdini Esq on the Mac for several months now as a solo practitioner. I use it primarily for case management and invoicing. The great thing about this software is that the interface just makes sense, and it is feature rich and comprehensive. I have case and event management, document templates, and trust management and invoicing all in one place. In other words, I don't have to switch between multiple programs to get the job done, which is something I love, and it isn't hard to pick up . . . once you get it going. That's the speed bump. First, my set-up is probably not conventional. I have a single laptop, with a main user account, and a secondary user account that I use for my law practice. When I first installed Houdini, if I started my computer, logged into my law practice user account, and tried to open Houdini, in any web browser, I would get an error saying that the local host was not found. I finally discovered that I would first have to start up the file "HoudiniESQ_start" to fix this error. Additionally, I don't think that this install is doing the automatic backups as advertised, but I use Time Machine, so I'm not too worried. Second, I wish that there was more control over invoices. I would like to be able to list the start and stop times for events, the option to include tasks that are not billed, and include my logo at top. However, the controls for these are limited-to-nonexistant. Finally, there are some strange quirks with the interface. For example, sometimes I can't get menus to close unless I close the whole window containing the menu. Also, sometimes my events won't show up in the Dashboard unless I go to another tab and back. If they made a shift away from the browser-based interface, I would not complain at all. These are my main complaints, and none of them are deal breakers for me, especially when otherwise you are getting a comprehensive, easy to use software that should be enough for any legal professional. If you are on a Mac, it is just about the only real locally-based client management software worth considering.

Gail Brame

Review of Houdini ESQ

Reviewed 2015-01-14

As a bookkeeper in a law firm, Houdini ESQ presents some challenges. The program is very user friendly overall, except for certain bookkeeping limitations. It is easy to teach, and the learning curve is small. There is no way to generate a true prebill, an invoice in invoice format prior to finalizing all information for invoicing. The prebill screen does not print the matter name, or balances due, or trust balances. If an invoice is generated to be used for reviewing prior to finalizing, it is necessary to delete that invoice, make any needed changes, then regenerate the invoice - a cumbersome, time-consuming process. If edits are made to events on a printed prebill (one of our partners prefers to review his invoices on paper and have me make the changes), it is necessary to "find" the event and make the edit in the system. If multiple events are to be edited, as often occurs, each time I save the changed event, the screen flips back to the top and I have "find" the next event for editing, rather than being able to continue chronologically forward to make all necessary changes. Either keeping the screen at the event just changed and being able to go forward chronologically, or being able to search by date/time, would make this process much easier. The Houdini generated statement of account lists every invoice, payment, and all charges ever generated for the client's matters. Our office prefers to generate statements indicating only the prior open balance, if it was paid when the payment was applied, and only for matters with activity during the prior 60-90 days. We have to generate a manual statement in order to limit the amount of information provided to the clients. When payment is received in a lump sum with more than one open invoice, Houdini does not automatically apply the payment back to the prior open invoices -- this has to be done manually, again a time-consuming, cumbersome task. We are happy with the program and its learnability. We'd just like some fine tuning to be done. Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Cliff Arthur

It's been worth sticking with.

Reviewed 2015-01-16

The Pros: The price. The power and flexibility. The ability to integrate. Continuous improvement. These guys are constantly working to make a better product. The support staff. I was a bit cranky with the way the whole flash problem went down, but I get the impression that was a significant stressor for Houdini, as well. They seem to have worked hard to overcome that, and since then have continued to provide "on the spot," "out of their way," profoundly dedicated service. The cons: The learning curve is significant. Houdini is anything but plug and play. It takes significant time to get comfortable with the various modules, which are not always, and especially not at first, intuitive. Integration ability generally limited to microsoft products. Would love to see the ability to integrate with something like libre office and Mozilla's Thunderbird (not sure if the coding time is worth it for Huodini, but I would love it.) Buggy - weird things happen from time to time, like already added events or contacts "disappearing" from a matter. They tend to reappear after one (or a few) restarts, or after a patch, but they keep me in constant fear of losing some important data. The way ledgers work could be much smoother. I hate having to generate a bill to give a discount, and then having to produce a statement to reflect the discount, and then give the client two sheets of paper with an explanatory letter because without an explanation it won't make much sense to the client. It can be even more painful when generating the statement brings up every matter I have handled for a client that is still open, even though I only want to provide 1 bill for one matter at the time. Overall, I stick with Houdini because it provides what I need, appears powerful enough to provide what I will require as I grow, and, most importantly, because it is constantly improving. Houdini appears genuinely interested in what its users want and is continually working to provide just that. Once a person gets over the learning curve, Houdini is hard to beat.

Anonymous

Great value for time tracking program

Reviewed 2017-11-06

Price; customer support; fairly easy to add new matters and add time to events. I like that is is fairly compatible with Quickbooks.

James Doan

7 Years Since Dumping Time Matters for HoudiniEsq

Reviewed 2017-01-09

It's been seven years since we made the switch from Time Matters to HoudiniEsq, and we're not looking back. HoudiniEsq has provided us with an easy to use system to manage our law practice. I recommend HoudiniEsq to my colleagues regardless of the size of your firm or practice area. I don't have time to try to figure out complex systems that require vendor technicians to get me going. I needed something that was user-friendly and intuitive, and found both in HoudiniEsq. Thanks the support staff at HoudiniESQ for making our lives a little easier. In today's fast-paced legal enviroment where time management and billing are so critical, it's a relief to know that HoudiniESQ is on the ball with cutting technology to make my life simpler. The support staff is a stallion.

Sarah Snyder

Money Maximizer

Reviewed 2015-01-15

pros: Integrates with so many different programs easy to navigate and user-friendly Very easy to customize and add specific categories, types, color customize a calendar, etc. Runs in the background - keep it open all day long w/o slowing down computer and other programs Creating and sending invoices is incredibly simple. Trust Account, Billables, and Accounts Receivable is always available so it's easy to keep track of money. Individual client ledgers makes accounting for each client's expenses, fees, payments, and trust easy to track and very clear and understandable. Keeps everything up to date daily, instead of just at end of month. Ability to link to matters from integrated programs allows maximum billing and the process is quick and painless Support is great - can read articles and topics on any issue related to the program and telephone support is great. cons: Requires patience at first until you understand how the program thinks and operates. Every now and then there is some small glitch that requires me to visit the support page or make a phone call. Have had to install approx. 2 updates in past year - I guess it's a good thing they update the product, but taking the time to install the update is somewhat annoying. Overall: Great product that includes everything you'd need to manage your practice, all in one place. Can create memos while on phone, while the timer is on - takes the burden out of billing time because you're using it throughout the day as you work. Has increased income through ability to "capture" time by linking events, e-mails, documents to matters. For me, it somewhat takes away the panic at the end of the day I used to feel when trying to recall and write down everything I'd done that day. Now, it is all recorded for me as I work throughout the day and contributes hugely to overall organization.

Lauren Middleton

Adequate but not amazing

Reviewed 2017-07-11
Review Source: Software Advice

It just isn't as "clean" as some other programs that I've used. Again, it serves it's purpose but it's nothing to write home about.Inexpensive cloud option. Minimal technical skill required. Good integration with Outlook, though the plugins often had issues.

Joan DeGrande

Excellent

Reviewed 2018-01-18

the office is better organized and everyone is aware of what is happening from one moment to the next throughout the day. It is great to be able to have all the information so easily accessible.easy to read, easy to search for information , like the way you can color code appointments and alert each other for deadlines

William Burns

Cloud Computing? Houdiniesq is your solution.

Reviewed 2010-11-08

I would recommend this product to anyone wanting to transition to cloud based practice management.HoudiniEsq has the best and most responsive technical support I have ever encountered with any program or platform. HoudiniEsq works entirely inside of your browser so you can access it anywhere you have an Internet connection. For us smaller guys that mean no exchange server costs or problems with syncing. Also, Houdini is optimized for mobile phone browsers such as the iPhone. HoudiniEsq works a bit different than Time Matters in that everything is a billable "event." Even on your calendar you can view all calls, to do's, drafting ... anything you want can be viewed on your calendar or removed from view with the click of a button. Only want to see appointments with clients and court dates on the calendar, no problem, just a click away. The calendaring is powerful and different than any other calendaring program I have encountered or tested. It does take a bit of time to get used to, but when you do, it results in amazing control of your schedule and your matters.

Arnold White

I have watched grow , making really important improvements.

Reviewed 2017-11-08

Complete office management, including file organization and billing.Program is based upon the case, as it should be. Support is outstanding. It anticipates what you are looking for. I have not yet sent emails via HoudiniEsq. and am looking forward to using it.

Paul Ferrari

It has been a revolution in organising my workflow and easily producing itemised invoices.

Reviewed 2017-11-07

The degree of customisation that can be applied. it is designed for US based lawyers but i work in the UK in the specialised area of commecial rent review dispute resolution. I was able to customise the software to cater for my specialist needs and to generate invoices in UK pounds.

Anonymous

Affordable, customize-able, multifaceted client management software

Reviewed 2017-11-09

FANTASTIC client support. Agent is the best support person that I've had the pleasure of getting assistance from across all of the technical systems and software that I've used. He consistently goes above and beyond to make sure that whatever crazy customization that I want can happen.

Gennet McKinney

Great Program.

Reviewed 2017-11-16

The is used to maintain time spent on matters and printing invoices.Very user friendly. Dashboard is easy accessed and filled with information at a glance. Time entry is easy as well as client/matter setup.

Karla Oppel

Very good overall experience.

Reviewed 2017-11-06

The software is very reliable and fairly easy to learn. Video tutorials are very helpful. Customer service is excellent! Calls made to customer service are either answered right away or returned timely.

Anonymous

Very easy to use and great for managing my case load and process.

Reviewed 2017-11-07

Organization and a sense of control over my case load. This software has really changed the way I track and work my files. I absolutely love it!The ability to integrate with other programs and software. I am able to seamlessly work across outlook, adobe, and word, which makes document generation and calendaring a cinch. My favorite thing is the template creation and document generation, that has been a game changer.

James Doan

Doan Law Firm - Bankruptcy Attorneys

Reviewed 2010-11-09

I manage a high volume bankruptcy practice in California and HoudiniESQ is living up to Mr. Rivera's statement he once made to me, "If you can think of it, we can get HoudiniESQ to do it for you." So far, I continue to be impressed. I highly recommend this product for law office management. Actually, it could be used for virtually any industry. I used to walk into court with a dolly. Now I carry only my laptop and can access my entire office from any browser (Explorer, Safari, Mozilla, etc). Best thing, I can access my office from anywhere in the world with any computer that has an internet connection. Or, I can access my office through my mobile phone with the HoudiniESQ mobile app. Way cool. Don't take my word for it... you can download it free from Houdiniesq.com. Whether you're a solo practitioner (like I used to be) or a firm with 17 offices and expanding (like we are now), HoudiniESQ can handle the load. Easy to use, easy to configure, economical, scalable. Links Matters, Contacts, Notes, Emails, and Documents. Allows us to centrally manage our entire bankruptcy practice (17 offices and expanding) without the need for terminal services connections. The CEO, Frank Rivera, is extremely receptive toward ideas that enhance the product. Mr. Rivera's team is doing a great job of staying on the cutting edge of technology.

Dustin Owens

Mediocre Software that the Developers Like to Break and Blame on the User

Reviewed 2017-02-07

Generally speaking, the software offers everything you want in a practice management software. It does trust accounting, billing, general practice management, calendaring, e-mailing, and task management. However, every single one of these features is clunky and slow. The database constantly breaks and you lose information by clearing your cache and refreshing your page. The database will, occasionally delete or lose entries on its own but when you call tech support they blame you for it. Randomly, during updates, the developers decide that you should have been doing something (billing, trust accounting, etc.) their way and change the software to force you to do it that way in the future. Often, this breaks all of the entries that you put into the system in the past. For example, if a client had a carry over credit balance from a small overpayment; houdiniesq now doesn't use that in calculating the client's current balance. Many of the search features simply don't work correctly, particularly when trying to search for an invoice. You used to be able to print invoices when you generated them. Now, you have to go search for the invoices, after it is generated and on a search platform that doesn't operate properly, and then print them adding an entirely wasteful extra step to billing. Really, this software is a complete headache. The developers don't own up to these problems or offer solutions. They often don't answer the support phone line and seem to work limited hours. The price is on the lower end, although better companies are now competitive price-wise. The only reason I still have this software is because I don't have the time to move all of my data over to new software.

Jeff Rifleman

Best Solo Management Tool

Reviewed 2011-08-26

HoudiniESQ is by far the most feature rich law practice management tool for solo firms. I am very impressed with the robustness of the application and the ability to maximize billable hours and tracking. I initially installed HoudineESQ because it was a 'free' (for Solo Firms) management tool and I was looking for a system to merge case related information. After a few hours I immediately knew that this was a keeper. Setup was incredibly simple and I can access Houdini on any internet connected computer, tablet or smart phone. I can now keep my Google calendar (using Outlook and Google Sync) updated from within Houdini (and vice versa), client communication, and documents all in one place. Using the downloadable plugins I can now merge Houdini data fields into my own custom documents in Microsoft Office. (Huge time saver!) Also, Houdini provides a way to keep clients updated using Remote Client Access (RCA) that allows the client to login to Houdini and review their case.It allows me to manage my cases from just one application that allows all aspects of the case to be housed under one umbrella. (Emails, document archive, document creation from templates, integration with Microsoft Office, billing & BIRT reports.)