All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

HoudiniESQ

Cloud or on-premise legal practice management software

HoudiniESQ Reviews

Good Product

Pro - support videos online help you to help yourself. Con - they are from past versions, so some things have changed via updates; you need to pay close attention in some areas. Pro - Everything you need is in one place. Con - not the most user-friendly in the bookkeeping section; you may want to use a different program or have a backup. Pros - Really helpful for starting up your business while keeping costs down; generates professional invoices; just enter your own rates/data and go; customer service is responsive and not overseas.

Cons

Confusing interface but cost effective

It works but it could be more user friendly.

Pros

I like that the program is free for solo practitioners

Cons

It’s confusing to use and also runs quite slowly.

Features/Functionality 3 stars. Hmm. How would you know? We have no record of you in any of our databases, no record of a demo, download, participation in any free training or registering the product. It is technically impossible to use the product anonymously. We have been in the marketplace for over a decade. This is what we do and we do it very well. We service large legal teams from DOJs,...

Law Practice Management Software

HoudiniESQ is a great software as is addresses all the issues that would face a law firm or a solo practitioner. I especially like the work automation function, the ability to integrate other software like Quickbooks. However I wish we were able to access the software with a mobile as a single user since it would make it easier to update files on the go. Overall I think that it is great. Customer service is awesome, they are extremely patient and are usually quite knowledgeable about the in and outs of the software.

Cons

How to save a day a month

Switching from spreadsheets and paper billing to HoudiniEsq has saved literally a full day of work per month for my office. Implementing the system was simple, the learning curve was short, and although the reporting features and billing design options are still limited the efficiencies are undeniable - and the billing error rate has gone to near zero. When there have been issues customer service has been extremely responsive - and product improvements have been forthcoming with regularity.

Cons

Great case management system!

I have been using HoudiniESQ for several months now and I LOVE it! I opened my own firm quickly and needed case management software that had a fast setup and was user friendly. I watched the tutorials and had all of my clients and cases entered in a day and sent my first invoice out at the end of the week! It is very easy to use and has all of the functions that make running your own firm and staying organized easy! I have already recommended the product to several of my attorney friends.

Waist of Time

I am a solo practitioner licensed since 2013. I downloaded HoudiniESQ and began inputting client info and documents into the system. I found it to be unwieldy, and duplicative of things I am already using like contacts, reminders, and such. Perhaps this product will work great for someone who has the time to work with it for several months or can hire someone to do the initial slog of data entry but you still have to integrate its systems into your work flow. For me I just didn't have the time to make this work and am really happy with the basic stuff I was using before.

Cons

Integration of software into your workflow is the whole point of "Software" Russell. That being said, Spreadsheets have worked for decades and in many cases Software isn't required to run a small practice. I think you will find that once you hire staff integrating software into your workflow will feel like time well spent. -Frank Rivera

Overall great product to use

I struggled to use Quickbooks to bill my clients because of the issues with IOLTA accounts and such. This program took a bit of time to get use to, but now it's a breeze to use. It is much better than Quickbooks. With Quickbooks I tried tutorials to understand how to use it to bill my clients correctly, but I had no luck. HoudiniESQ has great tutorial videos that helped me pick up and utilize the business billing quickly and easily. I highly recommend the product.

Excellent Product

Before going with Houdini I tried several other products and have been a long time user of Time Matters. After trying Houdini I felt that it had all the features of the far more expensive products. Houdini has all the features I wanted and it is integrated with word, outlook and google, all of which were very important to me. The only downside of the product is the creation of invoices. I would like it to be a bit easier to customize. Overall a great product.

Cons

Don't know where I would be without you!

HoudiniEsq is an amazing software that handles all my inter-office needs. I am able to manage all my clients, their cases, and their opposing counsels all in the same place. I would like the software to be a little easier to use, but the company provides endless tutorials, including video, to help me with what I need to do. If that wasn't enough, and I am really stuck, I call the help line and they are quick in solving my problems. THANKS!

User Friendly

I have been using HoudiniESQ for about 2 years now. When I was first introduced to this program, I was asked to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible about how to use. From the beginning HoudiniESQ has been really easy to use and understand. Granted, I have called tech support a few times and they have always been helpful. I recommend this program to any small business needing to track time and billing.

Houdini Review

Overall I really liked Houdiniesq. The knowledge base answered most of my questions and the video tutorials were very helpful. My biggest and only real issue with the software was that a lot of features were not Mac or iOS compatible. While I have access to both PCs and Macs I do have a strong preference for the Apple operating system and I only own apple mobile devices so my use was limited.

Leader of the Pack

The extraordinary thing about this program is that it is comprehensive and user friendly, so much so that even baby boomers can figure it out without having to call a help desk in India. The next best thing is that for lawyers on a shoestring budget it is affordable and secure because it can be run off the cloud. So I give it two thumbs up for price, accessibility and price.

Cons

Houdini is a Great Product!

Houdini has been a great product that provide our firm with a consolidated client database, practice management database, and time and billing software all wrapped up in one program, with the added bonus of being Cloud based. I am so glad we chose this software for our firm's practice. It by far surpasses the prior multiple software programs we used at our old law firm!

HoudiniEsq

Lots of useful features enable me to manage my law practice remotely. I prefer a more robust internal reporting feature, rather than having to export reports. Overall I give it four stars across-the-board, which is very good in my book. To me, five stars means it is perfect, and it will not be perfect until Frank tweaks a few more things pursuant to my suggestions. ;0).

Luke Harmon Business Manager; Law Office of Benjamin S. Harmon

Like all programs new to our staff, there is a learning curve to this software. I feel it has well served our purpose within our small three attorney office, and allows the ability to grow. Staff members are all able to use the software for there individual job purposes and I am able to better track and evaluate our production and limit the number of stale matters.

Cons

Purchased in 2016. Tried to set it up. It never synced properly with GSuite and Quickbooks

Pros

It never worked properly, so we after investing time and resources, we had to abandon it. The company refused to refund the cost even though their customer service support admitted that the program failed to work properly.

Cons

It never worked properly, so we after investing time and resources, we had to abandon it. It didn't sync properly with GSuite and Quickbooks. It's automated billing was a nightmare. It added a lot of time, but it was based on the email subject line. So if there were 10 email exchanges under the same subject line, there would be 10 duplicative billing entries.

Good Option for Small Firm

Looking for practice management software was overwhelming to say the least. It is also hard to find options that you can test before you buy. Hudini was a good match for my firm because it allowed me to download it an test it with a single user for free. The configuration was a little bit complicated but the tech support was very helpful.

Cons

Great bones but not ready for primetime with my firm

Pros: it is clear you guys are serious about creating a good product and doing right; flexibility for those of us who are willing to take the time to customize; guys were great when I got them on the phone Cons: integrations with Microsoft and Quickbooks tended to lose their "links", so we were redoing the mapping fairly regularly; configuration was difficult in that it required many steps and alterations of many tabs; sometimes difficult to get someone on the phone and the fix often required a remote programmer/dba who never ultimately fixed the problem. Overall, I think the software is well on its way to be a great solution for law firms. It wasn't quite there for us.

Horrible Customer Service

We tried to use this but were constantly on phone with tech support. When we pointed out deficiencies it was met with a angry responses. We asked to try it a gain one year later thinking they would have worked out the kinks. Instead of getting another shot Frank the owner emailed me and said he would not set us up again. Presumably because we were to intense for their software and it's flaws.

Cons

Mark, following instructions is important to a successful 5 minute no hassle install. Our recording of the call shows that you were agitated and felt our support staff were beneath you when they tried to help. This is the reason our CEO did not provide you with another account.

A Solid Client Management Program

HoudiniESQ provides a solid client management program for a great price. There are tons of features for every type of legal practice, and you can track all your work on it for individual clients. Some features take some time to learn, but it is overall a solid program.

Fantastic Software, great experience

Houdini has been with me since I started my firm a little over three years ago. The ease of use and administrative efficiency of their software makes it the linchpin to my operation. I love that it is easily customized to virtually any need. I have tried out the competition and so far nothing comes close.

Could be more intuitive

Overall it's a functional product and I love that it's free for solos. It could be more intuitive, my experiences with RocketMatter and Clio have been much better than Houdini in this regard. I use Houdini on a limited basis because it isn't as easy to use in certain areas as other software programs. I use QuickBooks for all my invoicing because it's easier. I keep documents in an encrypted cloud base service because Houdini won't allow me to access it online for free. The product has potential, but until it's the path of least resistance it won't be the full office solution for my practice and won't be worth a monthly subscription when I expand.

Great Concept, But Needs Work

The concept of Houdini ESQ, and the fact that it is free for solo practitioners, really sets it apart from the rest of the field. With that said, the interface is pretty easy to navigate, however, the functions don't always respond. In particular, I found CalendarRules integration to almost never work. Also the cloud based program does not do enough to make me feel secure. Also it is difficult to convert to if you do not use one of the practice management programs it is compatible with. Overall it is a good product that has the capacity to overtake the market if it can stay affordable, increase security, and improve the ease of transitioning.

A good if imperfect fit

Pros:- 1. Great features 2. So many features 3. Organized Layout Cons:- 1. As a solo practitioner, lack of cloud based service 2. Glitch 3. Taxing access to Trial 4. Customer Service Overall very impressive tool..wish you catered more to solo users even if it includes a pay to use plan.

Cons

HoudiniESQ was found to be the model ofexcellence in organization for comprehensively coherent uses.

Making use of the various features of HoudiniESQ was found to be simple and coherent. It works, even if you want to keep extensive records of the particulars and peculiarities. The transition of and move to Houdini ESQ was made simple; their support team was par excellence.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.