LawPay Reviews

User ratings

4.9

• Likelihood to recommend9.41/10

See full reviews by rating

I love the ease and ability to have our clients pay their invoices to us online and how secure it is.
The customer service is great. They are super responsive and quickly take care of things.
Overall a great resource for any practitioner--but especially a solo looking for an affordable and modern solution for merchant processing.
I'm sure that would violate some privacy law, though, so it's understandable but we still have to fill this part out.

LawPay users...

PayPal-logocaret
listing-logo

PayPal

Square Payments-logocaret
listing-logo

Square Payments

How would you rate LawPay?

If you use it right can make it very easy to accept payment

Transcript

Curtis: I'm Curtis, I'm an attorney working with startup companies and I give LawPay a four out of five...

PAYed

Pros

What can one say about a product that literally gets you paid faster? Simplifies our relationships with our clients makes their lives frictionless makes our lives processing payments seamless.

Cons

Maybe a point off the fees but really it does its job exceptionally well it's seamless there's nothing bad about it. The client service is excellent.

Simple and functional

LawPay makes it super easy for us to take card payments. It replaced PayPal, which isn't suited to the kind of accounting we have. LawPay is specifically designed to work with legal bookkeeping software.

Pros

LawPay blends seamlessly with Cosmolex, so we can process card payments from the software we actually use daily. LawPay automatically generates invoices which we can email to customers. The only time we actually have to go to the LawPay website is to process a refund, which I think we've done once in the approximately three years we've used this software.

Cons

The card swipe function seems redundant to me, but that could just be the nature of our business. It's faster for me to type in card information than swipe - not really a complaint, just a personal preference.

If you use it right can make it very easy to accept payment

Customer payments. It is a great solution if your business is sending out invoices. The fees that they take whether debt or credit are pretty high.

Pros

The dashboard is good and intuitive. Easy to send out bills and invoices. The payment links are easy to follow and probably the best feature of LawPay.

Cons

The canned emails are not great. You need to re-write with your own specific message or better yet copy the link and send it in an email or as a link in your invoices. The fees are very high and I hate that they send the statements in the mail and they are not accessible online.

Efficient, intuitive credit card processing.

Excellent. The extra time for transferring funds is offset by the integration with out law firm management software and the elimination of extra processing.

Pros

Credit card processing is intuitive. This is especially helpful for the staff that only do occasional entries. Credit Card processing is integrated with the law management software, hence, the credit card processing and the recording to the client account is accomplished in one transaction.

Cons

It takes 48 hours to get the funds into our bank account. This is an extra 24 hours over our previous processor.

Wonderful product for getting paid

Fantastic tool. I plan on continuing to use this product as long as I can.

Pros

The ease of setting up this product and the ease of use is second to none. The added bonus is that the associated service fee makes sure that we don't have to spend any more money than is necessary to facilitate a transaction.

Cons

There is really not a whole lot to complain about concerning this product. At first, the user interface was a little tricky to figure out; however, once they updated the software, it cured all problems.

LawPay saves our firm time and money

LawPay provides an easy way for our firm to get paid, because the interface is so user-friendly, both for our clients and for the firm. Everything is taken care of and transparent when the software is set up, and it takes no time to learn and use. What really makes LawPay superior though is their customer service. Anytime I have a question or want to know how to do something, all I do is call the customer...

Pros

It is easy to learn and use and the customer service is second to none.

Cons

Wish there were more ways to customize the reports with specific information

LawPay is so helpful!

Pros

We love that LawPay allows our clients to make payments on their invoices with either a credit card or a bank account so easily, and that it also allows infringers to pay their settlement amounts easily without having to send a check or a wire through!

Cons

I wish that there was a way to allow all countries to post a payment on LawPay without having to go through customer service adding each specific country for us. Other then that, there is nothing else I dislike about LawPay.

best invention to hit the legal field in years

LawPay has made our bookkeepers' job disappear. It has automated what used to take human time.

Pros

I love the ease with which our clients can process their payments.

Cons

Sometimes the links we email out, soon expire.

LawPay an end to your collections and reporting issues!

Wonderful! It was super easy to train on, their staff is always available for any questions and their reports are life saving!

Pros

I love how LawPay allows for refunds of a lesser amount than the full payment! Sometimes our consults aren’t as long as they are scheduled and clients love getting that refund in a timely manner! Lawpay allows for the swift and easy process of refunds!

Cons

Really nothing, it’s very effective, user friendly and their staff is always available by phone email or chat!

Easy and Efficient

Overall my experience has been outstanding. The ease of use and the custom service help is outstanding.

Pros

The software is easy to use and thus saving time.

Cons

As of right now, there is nothing I do not like.

A good option for law firms, but there is room for improvement

The experience has been good, but it could be improved by providing additional features and integrations offered by most non-legal focused payment solutions.

Pros

It was fairly easy to set up an account, after filling out the necessary paperwork. The fees are decent. Allows for easy compliance with trust accounting rules. When support was required, I found LawPay to be responsive and easy to deal with.

Cons

When comparing LawPay with something like Stripe, it's clear that LawPay was built for lawyers. It has all of the features a lawyer would expect. Unfortunately, it's missing many of the features a regular business would expect, like extensive integrations through an API. This makes LawPay much less flexible than non-legal specific options. For example, if you want to integrate with things like Calendly, Acuity Scheduling, Airtable, etc., you will need to use something else. There is no Zapier or Integromat integration, which is becoming more important these days. The reports are alright, but the interface is not as intuitive as I would like.

Lawyers: STOP paying an arm and leg for processing fees.

When we started our law firm we knew that we had to have a way of taking electronic payments. Other services had extremely high fees and in our industry, passing those along to the client can be seen as "tacky". LawPay gives us the ability to take electronic payments at a more reasonable fee.

Pros

The integrations with Clio, our practice management software are a huge pro to LawPay as well as LawPay's competitive processing fees with the legal payments processing industry.

Cons

Even though processing fees for LawPay are lower relative to other services, they still cut a great deal into our larger retainers. I would love for LawPay to have a tiered fee structure where the more transactions you process the lower your fee percentage. This would encourage firms like ours to push ALL transactions through LawPay instead of first trying to get paid by cash or check and using electronic payments as a less preferred option.

A nice service.

Very convenient and easy to use. I get notified whenever a client runs a charge, and I can look on the billing software page, as well as the LawPage site, and see the status. It works well with Clio, our billing software, and even marks the invoice as paid once the charge is finalized.

Pros

We had a problem with our credit card processor, which prompted us to switch. We use Clio for billing so LawPay was the obvious choice. IT IS SO NICE. First of all, since I'm working at home due to COVID, and use wifi, I did not have an internet source to plug into, which our former machine required. With LawPay, I can process credit card payments online and it goes directly into the firm's bank account, it's that easy. Plus, I can send invoices to our clients with a link they can use to run their own credit card charges to pay their invoice. Although there is training offered, it really took no training for me to start using it.

Cons

I really haven't used it for that long, so right now I'd say nothing!

LawPay is a game changer for processing payments!

My overall experience with using LawPay has been pleasant. I always recommend LawPay to other firms that I work with.

Pros

I have really enjoyed the simplicity of using LawPay. Our firm has been using LawPay for all online transactions for years and years. I love how fees are able to be sorted by the Trust and Operating Accounts. I also love how our clients can pay their invoices easily. This not only saves us time by having to follow up continuously for payment information, instead they have the option to do that on their time and in the comfort of their home. Did I mention that you are able to send specific payment amount requests to clients? LawPay has made sending payment requests easier than ever!

Cons

So far I have not encountered any problems while using LawPay. I love their exceptional customer service as well.

A great asset for any law practice

Pros

The flexibility of use of the merchant processor by far is its best asset--from emailing invoices to clients for them to pay via a secure webpage to automated payments for payment plans. Also, the option of linking Lawpay to both operating and trust (IOLTA) accounts is great.

Cons

No option for charging credit/debit cards outside the United States--it is unfortunate that Lawpay has not yet created an option for practices that rely on clients that are foreign nationals or are temporarily abroad. The other more inconvenience more than anything else is that Lawpay's merchant fees are not accessible on the web portal, rather, you have to rely on monthly statements by mail (or check bank statements).

Perfect solution for credit card billing for lawyers

Overall my experience with LawPay has been great.

Pros

LawPay is very easy to use, I always just use the QuickBill feature which allows me to quickly email a bill to a client. I can resend the bill and edit it afterwards if needed. My law firm is fully digital, so LawPay is great, I never send out paper bills. It also is great for complying with ethical rules related to trust accounts and credit card billing - almost all of my credit card bills are processed for up front payments into trust.

Cons

They have not yet switched to paperless monthly statements, so those come in the mail. I'd prefer paperless. Also, if you process a payment and issue a refund the same day, it will simply show up as a single transaction for the sum of the two - this complicates accounting, for me, in QuickBooks, which cannot handle a deposit and a withdrawal from an account in a single transaction. The complication is that when I do reconciliation in QuickBooks my bank account always shows a transaction I have to remember to ignore because I had to record it as two transactions.

Very Easy to Learn to Use and Use!

LawPay solved our problem by reducing credit card fees and by providing a simple method of requesting payment or trust account replenishment from our clients.

Pros

What I like most about this software is it is an uncomplicated way to send payment links to clients and to take in-office payments or payments by phone. The big plus is the lower credit card fees than what we were paying through MyCase. I LOVE the Dashboard feature which allows me to view who has paid without having to click around the site to find out. The software doesn't contain a bunch of useless features. It helps me accomplish exactly what I need to.

Cons

One of the Cons would be the ability to generate a detailed invoice. There are many times when I need to create an invoice for a potential new client or for just a consult. I don't have a case created I just need an invoice.

LawPay Usage

I would recommend LawPay to other law firms for usage. The only issue is that the website requires more information than other credit card payment portals. Not all payments automatically apply towards invoices. However, it is easy to use because you send the link or email for the client to use to pay directly.

Pros

Easy to use. Can request money through the LawPay portal. Keep track of income per month. Customer service are quick to assist. Client are able to pay via online quick and easy.

Cons

LawPay doesn't always email when a payment comes in. Have to check portal daily. Not all payments will manually apply towards invoices. Sometimes, it's hard to search for reports. Webpage looks simple but it's not as simple as it seems. However, customer service is good.

Easiest Way for Lawyers to Process Cards

LawPay doesn't have all the features as other processors like Square and Stripe. But with a little creativity (and their customer support is willing to work with you and give you ideas), you can make LawPay work for your practice. Best of all, it works seamlessly with Clio, which makes taking payments from clients who are already established with invoicing very easy.

Pros

Law Pay is the easiest way to process credit cards for lawyers. It's easy to designate between trust accounting and my other accounts. I am never worried that it will be wrong. The funds process pretty quickly. It works seamlessly with Clio.

Cons

You cannot download your monthly statements from the web portal, which is very annoying and makes accounting more difficult. You also cannot sync it with your accounting software. You also cannot do card checks without charging (such as getting a card to secure a free consultation). So it's not a sophisticated software.

Pretty Good

It is really easy to use and very self explanatory. We dont get charged much and never have an issue with it.

Pros

It is very easy to use and is connected to our Cosmolex! So when we send a client an email with their invoice, they click the link and just have to enter their card number and address. Its great!

Cons

It does not let you send the invoice to more than one person at a time. We often have more than one client for the same matter and like them to all know we need to be paid.

The Mercedes of Law Payments, perfect for complying with ethics rulings.

Allowing more options for clients to pay by. I do think different areas of law will vary greatly on the return of investment for this service.

Pros

Not all clients are able to pull money straight out of a bank or get a loan. It gives my clients another option for payment. It's nice being able to tell them all their choices for payments. It makes my clients ease of use for my services better. The reader works well with older gen phones as I have. Payments are processed swiftly and are available with fees already deducted.

Cons

The fees for this service are really something you need to take into account. My payment is monthly, and for every transaction, some percent of fee taken out, along with all the card fees charged by the issuer. This can make this service quite expensive to use. Also I really don't get many clients who even use it, maybe one every few months. So the fee goes to waste a lot. But, with all that being said, I wouldn't get rid of it. The reason solely being to allow my clients to have the most options for payments.

First time user and its easy

on my very first day here there was no one to help me and of course the first call i got was to run a payment. All tabs down the side were self explanatory for me running said payment and inputting the information. If it hadnt been that easy to use i would not have been in a good situation that day

Pros

Easy to use. input the information and run the payment

Cons

It requires a lot of information and i wish it would sometimes recognize input information from before

Such an easy tool! Nearly impossible to make mistakes!

Our office uses LawPay to allow clients to pay bills, retainers, etc. It has been a great tool in simplifying payment processes and cutting down on lag time, operator and user error, and improving the efficiency of the office. Highly recommend!

Pros

I love how easy it is to make a payment or receive a payment with LawPay. It has been such a lifesaver for the office, because clients can easily pay bills without worrying that a check has been lost in the mail or misrouted, etc. Such a great tool!

Cons

I don't actually have any complaints! I really like the software, and I think anytime I have come across an issue, it was actually in how it was set up for the office and not inherent in the software.

We love using LawPay!

Overall we have enjoyed having LawPay for our clients to pay their bills.

Pros

Cons

The fees! But the fees for credit card processing are high pretty much everywhere but it hurts to pay hundreds per month.

Lawpay

Law pay is so simple to use and fantastic.

Pros

I like that a receipt is automatically emailed to the client and to the attorneys of the firm upon payment being made.

Cons

Clients have said they would like to be able to save payment methods to use each month when they make payments and the software doesn’t allow for that.