LeanLaw Reviews

4.71/5 (48 reviews)

Aaron Todrin

I'm a solo practitioner and LeanLaw provides exactly what I need from billing to IOLTA management.

Reviewed 2017-05-11

The ability to track, monitor, and control my business.

Pros
The intuitive nature of the software is excellent. Like any software, it takes some getting used to, and there will be bumps and hiccups along the way, but once you figure it all and get comfortable with the platform, it is a pleasure to use. The streamlined process from setting up trust to entering time to billing the client couldn't be more straight forward. If you take a retainer first, and bill the client against the retainer, or just bill your client and accept payment after, LeanLaw accommodates all arrangements. In addition, the seamless and real-time integration with Quickbooks Online makes this software truly special. To be able to get a snapshot of my business at all times, and see exactly where I am at financially and billing with all my clients gives me an incredible advantage when running my business. Lastly, the customer support is stellar. LeanLaw support is always ready to help, and they are patient and efficient, no matter how simple the problem seems. As a solo practitioner, I was very nervous to start my own practice, and LeanLaw has made it worlds easier. I recommend this software to anyone and everyone.

Cons
The only thing I don't like about the software is that I don't have 1000 clients yet and a billion in operating. Like anything, it takes some time to get used to, but that is no fault of LeanLaw.

Response from LeanLaw

Thanks for the review, Aaron! Glad you're enjoying the software

Amy Holt

Lean Law Review

Reviewed 2019-02-26

Our time keeping ability is much improved from Juris and the attorneys are more involved by entering their own (most) time. I have really enjoyed the lean law staff and I wish they were standalone and didnt need QBO online cause it sucks!

Pros
The help from customer service and on-boarding. they were always available to help me until we got up and running. The software is very user friendy.

Cons
So far there is not much i dont like. I think that is there was one thing I could change it would be printing options. Example, from trust you cant print a report that looks suited to submit. The reports arent labeled what they are. Example: print of timekeepers time has no label ...this year? Last year? date range?

Response from LeanLaw

Amy, LeanLaw just released a new and updated reporting engine. This directly resolves the formatting concerns you articulated in your response. It also added a more robust and real-time revenue by attorney report. Thanks for your work and feedback.

Keith Ciceron

User Friendly and Cost Effective

See pros above!

Pros
LeanLaw streamlined our billing process, allowing easy integration with QuickBooks. This made our entire firm more productive, from preparing readable invoices to working with bookkeepers and tax professionals in ensuring our records were accurate.

Cons
There are a few macros that continue to be tweaked by LeanLaw, which we understand is an ongoing process. We would love to see a feature where simple math calculations are performed (e.g. mileage, copies, etc.). LeanLaw has been very receptive to our ideas of making the overall product easier to navigatre.

Richard Hunt

Leanlaw is a great deal that needs a little improvement

Reviewed 2019-02-26

My overall experience has been very good. The customer support is fantastic and the product itself does just what small law firms like mine need.

Pros
Leanlaw's pricing is reasonable and it does what I need without too much fuss. It handles time tracking, new client/matter creation and monitoring of receivables in a reasonably easy to use fashion and, most important, interacts directly with QuickBooks Online in a very simple to use way.

Cons
The user interface needs some work. Trust accounting is a sub menu to Billing, but is really a distinct set of functions. The calendar feature is a good idea but doesn't relate to the actual periods of time during which a matter is being worked on. On/off switches or buttons for different matters would be helpful so that switching between matters was a little easier. Also, the ability to customize the trust reporting would be very helpful.

Response from LeanLaw

Hello Richard, you will see updates to the trust management in the next few months. It's slotted in our development schedule. High on the list is to bring trust management to the forefront of the product. In regards to your on/off switch, a matter can be archived. This will hide it from your day-to-day view but still have the data for reporting purposes. Any archived matter can easily be un-archived if a matter becomes active again.

Lynda Artesani

My go to app for working with Law firms and QuickBooks Online

Reviewed 2019-03-04

All of the law firms I work with use LeanLaw. We are even converting clients from desktop PC law to LeanLaw/QuickBooks Online. We are conversion specialists in moving law firm clients to the cloud.

Pros
It's ease of use. From the attorney's perspective, it is very intuitive. Produces high-quality invoices. From the Accountant's perspective, it works seamlessly with QuickBooks Online. I love the two-way sync and the billable expenses feature.

Cons
Nothing, the even have high-level customer service. Great app!

Paul Augustine

Lean Law Saves Time and Money for Sole Practitioner

Reviewed 2017-03-27

The software is easy to use, intuitive, and saves me time and money. Moving to the cloud has been the best decision I have ever made and Lean Law allowed me to do so. I highly recommend Lean Law to any firm looking for improved efficiency in timekeeping, billing and productivity. They have very responsive customer service should the need arise.

Pros
It is easy to use, integrates with Quickbooks for billing, allows me to access my timekeeping software from anywhere and has saved me time and money since I began using it. It is easy to use and very intuitive.

Cons
The online version of Quickbooks is more difficult to use than the computerized version.

Anonymous

Leanlaw works great for me

Reviewed 2019-03-05

LeanLaw and Quickbooks Online allow me to handle all my billing, receivables, and accounting in a straightforward, understandable way. I am a sole practitioner and it saves me a lot of time with these tasks. Plus, the customer support is quick and responsive on those occasions when I need it!

Pros
Ease of use, customer support when needed, good integration with Quickbooks Online

Cons
Can't really think of anything negative.

Michael Farmer

LeanLaw Review

Reviewed 2019-02-26

Good. Has allowed me to streamline time entry process and also review billings on a daily basis.

Pros
Ease of use. Allows me to enter and edit my time without involving support staff.

Cons
Editing of client information. Sometimes I have difficulty going back and changing client information, particularly file numbers, after entered into the system. Probably operator error.

Kelsey Nunez

Very user friendly and helpful

Reviewed 2019-02-27

I was one of the first users and have seen how the company is dedicated to improving the product as it learns more. They are always available to troubleshoot and help me. It has helped me manage my solo practice.

Pros
I like the timekeeping and how the invoicing links directly to Quickbook.

Cons
It used to link directly with Gmail and Google Drive and that isn't supported anymore. I wish it was.

Claire Bazata

easy to use

Reviewed 2019-02-26

Pros
I love seeing my day and billable hours calculated in real time, the calendar format makes it easier for me to keep my time and helps me get all of my time recorded quickly.

Cons
The app, last I checked, was not easy to use and so I have resorted to entering time back at the office or when I can get to a laptop instead of on the go.

Lance Hancock

It's in the name: LeanLaw

Reviewed 2019-02-27

LeanLaw achieves its goal in providing an efficient way to keep time and bill clients. Good, relevant reporting also helps the lawyer who uses LeanLaw not only work in the business of practicing law, but also work *on* the business itself.

Pros
The user interface is very clean and intuitive in LeanLaw. Timekeeping down to 1/10 of an hour is a great feature, and the desktop app makes it very easy to do log time for various matters. LeanLaw's integration with Quickbooks is huge, as our firm never has to draft an invoice. The reporting features of LeanLaw are good, and continue to get better. It is very easy to see revenue by attorney, revenue by client matter, productivity, and accounts receivable. There is even a report to help gauge fixed-fee profitability margins.

Cons
There isn't much not to like about LeanLaw when you understand what it is for. It's lean timekeeping and billing software for the lean law firm. It will never include client portals, document storage/sharing, or other such features.

Sean McGowan

LeanLaw-Simply Efficient

Reviewed 2019-03-01

WONDERFUL! KEEP IT UP.

Pros
Entering and keeping track of time is simple and reviewing time previously entered is manageable. LeanLaw is good at what it is intended to do, and makes my life easier.

Cons
Occasionally, the program does not load and I have to restart the webpage several times before it works.

Anonymous

Great product that's easy to use!

Reviewed 2019-04-30

LeanLaw is an exceptional service that has timely and responsive customer service. Recommend highly.

Pros
This software is easy to use, and user intuitive. I'm just a regular user so I don't run reports, or create new files - so my use is confined to just billing clients and it couldn't be easier.

Cons
Occasionally there are glitches where I find my input time on a different date than I entered, however, that was easily fixed by the LeanLaw team.

Donna Paxton

First use was difficult

Reviewed 2019-02-28

Pros
I do appreciate the support from techs that have been patient with me. In the beginning, almost a year ago, there were quite a few things I needed LeanLaw to be able to do. For the most part, these things were addressed to my satisfaction. What I like most about the software: that I can work from home It's taken me a year, but I am 'fairly' satisfied with the software.

Cons
I hate that invoicing isn't via LeanLaw. I hate Quickbooks online and would rather all invoicing was via LeanLaw and my Quickbooks was used as a desktop version like I have used for 15 years or longer. I think the fact that I have to pay for Quickbook Online, which I repeat I hate, in order to use LeanLaw is an additional cost that I do not feel like I should have to pay. Plus, the basic QBooks online isn't ideal, but I refuse to upgrade at this point. For what I am paying monthly, for LLaw & QBooks has already surpassed the cost of buying billing software outright and it hasn't even been a year yet. So, my main con is that LeanLaw only works with Quickbooks online. Oh, and I so wish LeanLaw would produce a bill even though no time has posted that month. I want it to produce a bill with balance due (from previous bills). For now, I have to reprint past due bills from QBooks every month :/

Likelihood to recommend: 5/10

Martha Corbett

Lean Law - Ease of Use and customer support

Reviewed 2019-05-07

We just migrated to Lean Law with QB in July of last year from Clio. With Lean Law you can find the information you require very easily and quickly. Billing is much easier than Clio or PC Law overall we are extremely happy with Lean Law.

Pros
This software is one of the easiest and intuitive programs I have every used in a law firm and I have been a law clerk for over 20 years. The support team is fantastic, they are willing to spend any amount of time to fix a glitch with you on the phone and assist you with any type of problem you may have.

Cons
There is nothing I dislike about the program.

Bill Brunstad

Lean Law

Reviewed 2019-02-28

Very good experience. Good customer support and easy to use.

Pros
Very easy to enter time. Seamless transition for billing to Quickbooks

Cons
I wish there was a feature where you could use defined tasks for your time entries (which it does have) and then you could mine the data from those tasks for determining future fixed fee amounts. The fixed fee template is confusing, at least to me.

Carbo Kwan

Perfect for sole practitioners or small firms

Reviewed 2019-02-27

Very good experience. Love the quick response to support.

Pros
Ease of use but most importantly, their continuous work on improving the software and listening to the feedback. Since I've got this subscription just over a year ago, I've seen various improvements and new features.

Cons
Some technical difficulties/error messages but is quickly rectified by customer support

Jenny Wilkes

Essential for seamless time-tracking and billing

Reviewed 2019-08-23

Invoicing is no longer a day long process

Pros
LeanLaw integrates with Quickbooks Online so efficiently I can't believe we were invoicing without it.

Cons
Possibly could use some more reporting features.

Jordan Litwin

Simple to use and good value

Reviewed 2019-02-26

Great option if you are primarily focused on billing and time entry more so than a comprehensive practice management option.

Pros
Ease of use (particularly timers), per license cost, continuing feature growth

Cons
Limited use of mobile application which does allow you to enter time for current day and open new client/matters but nothing else really.

TAYLER TIBBITTS

Good Platform

Reviewed 2019-02-26

Overall it's been a great tool for my law practice.

Pros
I like the integration with Quickbooks and the ability to track my time effectively.

Cons
The Quickbooks integration is not very customizable. I've had trouble getting my trust accounting to work properly and it'd be nice to be able to customize things more on that front.

Haile Williams

Over the Moon

Reviewed 2019-02-28

Pros
The ease of features is my favorite thing. It is a very straight forward and easy to understand program that has been invaluable to the practice.

Cons
I wish there were check marked boxes next to time entries so one could select or deselect the entries that are wanted to export to excel spreadsheet.

Anonymous

Makes Quickbooks much more palatable.

Reviewed 2019-06-14

Overall, very pleased with LeanLaw. Good pricing. Good customer service.

Pros
This software has two-way integration with Quickbooks. Time entry is easy. Desktop and smartphone timekeepers are very handy (when I remember to use them). Simple to open new matters or add new clients. These then populate automatically to Quickbooks. I moved from PCLaw (then a different web-based program) and looked, at all the major and minor players. This works great for me.

Cons
Quickbooks billing setup is a bit clunky. But that's as much a QB problem as LL. Not a full-blown practice manager, but I knew that going in. As a result, need to keep info in both Outlook and LL/QB. Not a huge deal since my contact list is huge and my client list is infinitesimally smaller.

Christina Ciceron

Best decision our small firm has made!

Reviewed 2019-02-28

Pros
This has saved us SO much time. As attorneys the only thing we have to sell is our time so having more of it to bill clients and less to spend on admin work is huge for us.

Cons
The expenses could be easier to input. I would like to se an easier way to calculate mileage.

MARIA MITCHELL

QB communication

Reviewed 2019-07-23

believe it is helping keep track of expenses

Pros
East of time entries and expenses based on client and sub-client

Cons
The communication issues with QB as well as entry of a new client while in expenses requires exiting and inputting only to go back in to complete expense entry.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

James Perry

Great product

Reviewed 2019-02-26

I have had a great overall experience with Lean Law. They are very customer friendly, and have incorporated a number of our suggestions.

Pros
The program is very easy to use, and interfaces with quick books.

Cons
The program still needs a little work with trust account reporting