OpenGov Permitting & Licensing Reviews

3.9

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.15/10

Reviews by rating

The original software our staff liked very much as the features were all customized and helpful and the support was in person and helpful.
I like that I can see all the projects I need to review at once. I also love that applications can be customized.
My main complaint is the lack of flexibility in the reporting feature.
The inability to link more than one record to another in the Projects option is annoying too. Many of our larger ongoing projects have one overall building permit with multiple sub-permits.
Sometimes I just deal with the annoying issues and don't bother with support, because, mostly it's not worth it.

VE

Victor E.

Government Relations, 1-10 employees

Great Product

Overall, it has been an easy and efficient product that i would recommend.

Pros

OpenGov is easy to use and has great functions for managing, and record keeping. It has made functions more efficient as I am able to quickly reference properties in the city and view all types of permits on file.

Cons

Sometimes there seems to be address units that do not show up in a quick search.

MP

Mukesh P.

Government Relations, 11-50 employees

This program is very easy to work with.

Pros

Very easy to use and maintain my work loads. This program has streamlined out permit process and has allowed better interaction with various people across all departments.

Cons

Sometimes it is easy to look at the plans on paper. Sometimes I need to look at the plans on paper. Still this program has help me a great deal.

NM

Nathan M.

Government Administration, 51-200 employees

Not the right tool for my job.

I have worked with Viewpoint across the last two years. Initially first hand and then along with City staff. The obstacles I encountered were also encountered by the City staff who were charged with configuring the program to perform task that I mentioned earlier. A large portion of the work which could have been completed when transitioning from Accela to Viewpoint was not possible as the program did not appear to have import/export capability outside of having Viewpoint staff perform this task at an additional cost.

Pros

It seems to do a decent job for permit tracking.

Cons

It is not structured to manage Code Enforcement cases without significant customization by Viewpoint staff. This program does not seem to work along the lines of a true CRM. That being the case it does not perform simple task such a lineal record perpetuation. This is important to have as an in-house adjustable feature that our City staff can easily customize without substantial outside support. For instance, the making of reports which populate letters and set dates for follow ups in a calendar/email format.

PH

Paul H.

Cloud Review

As a inspector of Building very helpful tool

Pros

Ease of use for non IT Staff and myself who is not great on computer.

Cons

Could use more web seminar for instruction of use

JG

Jennifer G.

Government Administration, 501-1,000 employees

Easy to Use

I really have enjoyed ViewPoint Cloud. It makes my work a million times easier. No more tracking in an Access Database!

Pros

Cons

I found that the process of creating an application is a little bulky. It would be great if the process we created could be cloned for other types of applications so that we don't need to start from scratch each time.

AC

Abby C.

Government Relations, 11-50 employees

Room for Improvement

There are lots of ways that the software could improve but the biggest problem I think we have encountered is that it wasn't set up for us as well as it could have been which makes searching for records a nightmare. It would also be awesome if numerous panels on the right hand side of the screen could be minimized with a toggle switch so you don't have to scroll down through a bunch of jobber jabber that doesn't pertain to you.

Pros

This software has helped clarify the process for applicants and ensures nothing gets missed by each of the departments along the way.

Cons

It was set up in a less than ideal manner. It is difficult to find records that we are looking for. I wish there were a way to "hide" applications and designate a date that you would like a reminder. For example, I often work out of the inbox function. If someone applies for a pool permit today (its winter) but aren't going to start until spring, that sits in my inbox forever. I wish I could hide it for say 2 months and have it pop up again in my inbox in the spring.

MD

Michael D.

Government Administration, 11-50 employees

Good product, missing a few key features to make it great

Pros

The ability to build project templates to the public facing site

Cons

Form fields that you can capture with reports, the ability to add custom fields to reports so that you can more easily see where permits are in the workflow. Other programs have this feature and it makes keeping track of the permit status very easy, especially for staff that aren't involved in the approval process. The reporting process is also still a bit complicated. The old system was much more user friendly when it came to printing reports that we needed to sent to finance offices and the State. Based on the fact that the users that generate these reports are not typically "permit reviewers" these reports should really be set up as a click and go.

BL

Brian L.

Government Administration, 1-10 employees

Ok, but can always be better

Pros

Ease of use, looking up files. Filing permits

Cons

Map could have a printable section for mileage patrol. If a project fails a inspection, it should go to yellow or orange, not green after it passes. To let people know there was a issue but has been corrected.

RS

Richard S.

Public Safety, 51-200 employees

Good product with minor problems

Pros

I like the fact that all users are provided instant access to the supplied information. As well as I have direct contact with the person applying for the permit.

Cons

I dont like the fact that I can't make measurements to verify distances in the software. I get these electronic files and still have to ask for scaled paper copies. This makes the customer have to run around a lot more.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Cloud based and great for our field staff!

Pros

We love viewpoint for photos and documentation storage. We like the fact it is awesome to share information quickly for in house documents. We appreciate having something that is staying with the technology moves we are seeing grow so rapidly.

Cons

With this being a fairly new program most of the problem we run into we can get an answer from the support team within a few house. Hoping in the future documents can be edited and signed through this storage system.

RH

Russell H.

Viewpoint Cloud review

Easier for clients to apply for permits but more office time to process permits.

Pros

Cloud based accessible on many devices.

Cons

Problematic with property searches and not very compatible with tax database.

NH

Nicole H.

Public Safety, 5,001-10,000 employees

Review about ViewPointCloud

Its ok, but needs changes as described above.

Pros

What I like the most is that its paperless. Contractors and home owners have no excuse for not pulling a permit.

Cons

The features are not set up for a permit to be filled out properly. Not enough options and unnecessary ones as well.

SL

Stephen L.

Best of the available software options But needs Improvement

Pros

It's a great product compared to the competitors that being said the competitors are equivalent to use a typewriter.

Cons

Missing a lot of Features. Inspection Scheduling should be like Open Table for restaurants. Not easy to use for some of our senior inspectors. No Tablet/ Phone APP. Takes Days for tech support feedback.

CJ

Carl J.

Epermitting

Pros

Ability to manage property data and review permits

Cons

Navigation around website very inconvenient

KC

Kathy C.

ViewPoint User

Ease of use is very important.

Pros

Ease of use and support answers questions quickly.

Cons

It may be an administrator option, but completing an item in error cannot be reversed. Also, your own comments cannot be edited.

SS

Scott S.

Government Relations, 51-200 employees

East to use software

It is easy to track and approve building permits.

Pros

It is easy to find what you are looking for with the search function.

Cons

Sometimes it is confusing to find the correct place to upload attachments.

bd

bruce d.

Government Administration, 1-10 employees

Not a perfect system

Pros

Easy to use. Take it or leave this review

Cons

Do not like the the mandatory resign in after a 24 hour period has expired. I shut down my computer at 3 pm, sign on the next day at 7 am but at some point in the 8 to 9 hour have to close out and resign in. That is just plan dumb and a pain in the backside.

JC

Jim C.

REVIEW

Pros

Combines all permit under one address. Look up an address and you see all permits and inspections.

Cons

Need to add more inspection type titles.

lk

linda k.

Government Administration, 1,001-5,000 employees

Haverhill CIty Clerk Review

Have not found VPC responsive to our needs and also lots of down time.

Pros

all information is in one place and accessible offsite

Cons

Very difficult user interface and unable to customize for certain records to the degree we need

LA

Lynnette A.

Government Administration, 201-500 employees

Public Works

Pros

Its easy to use. I can find customers easily and customize it so that I can only see our permits

Cons

took a minute to set up all of my tabs for customization but once I figured it out it has been a breeze.

jb

julie b.

Town of Tiverton

All on-line permitting in general has helped us streamline the process among departments, many who are not under the same roof. It also makes applicants more accountable.

Pros

It is easy to work with on a daily basis, reviewing and approving applications.

Cons

Limitations for instance, moving workflow steps in an application, being able to review history of changes to a step, and others that come up throughout the day. I do not find creating reports intuitive although I have been doing them for several months now.

DM

Donna M.

User

Fair to good

Pros

I have no comment . The public seems to like having the ability to submit for a building permit without coming to tow hall.

Cons

*Accessing attachments for viewing without having having to go back to beginning *Labeling of permits. Have to open permit to see what it’s for. *access and ability to write my own report / queries * unable to update house photos. Houses have been razed and new houses built but old photos still shown.

ML

Marissa L.

Civil Engineering, 51-200 employees

Permits

Pros

How easy it is to use so contractors can fill their permits out with ease and quickness.

Cons

Certain things when clicked on open in a new tab. Like the 'view location' aspect. It is the same website, but opens a new tab for that and it's unnecessary.

CM

Cathy M.

Used other for 6-12 months

ViewPoint

Pros

The software is very easy to use and applicants can access it from their home or phones if that is easier for them.

Cons

Residents don't always complete the application but they are allowed to continue putting additional work on staff to correct.

JB

John B.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Good Software for Permits

Pros

Since the recent update, it is much more user-friendly.

Cons

It has been great for what we use the software for, there really isn't much we would change.