All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

ProLaw Reviews

Reviews Summary

Pros

Our office is used to it, so we have learned to use it. Calendaring functions are good and they syncs with Microsoft outlook which is very good.

Susana V.

John C.

Read the full review
I felt the sales team was unresponsive regarding installation. However, the sales rep we have now is excellent and very responsive.

MICHELLE H.

Read the full review

Cons

Navigation, utility, lack of compatibility / comparability restrictions, numerous bugs / errors that have yet to be addressed.

Charles C.

Read the full review
Overall software is an utter shambles of committee designed modules that integrate poorly, bugs and errors are numerous and fixes take forever.

Charles C.

Read the full review
I used ProLaw when I worked for a real estate firm for foreclosure litigation. It did the job, just not as efficient as other programs.

Melissa P.

3.7

I've used Prolaw since '99

I have used Prolaw for over 20 years. In the beginning (pre-West), it was the most amazing product on the market with the most amazing customer service, for small to mid-sized firms. West ruined that. I have nothing against West generally. I just have over 20 years of first-hand knowledge of how West negatively affecting this otherwise amazing product.

Pros

Everything. Prolaw does it all. The accounting function is the best I have seen, better than QBs, CosmoLex, etc. The front office functionality is so robust I wouldn't even know where to start. You own it the software license which is a huge advantage to monthly subscriptions. You don't have to upgrade if you don't want to, no monthly fees, I stopped paying the annual fee after a few years because it wasn't worth it. Just pay the upgrade fee if and when you ever need to upgrade.

Cons

Since purchased by West a while ago, the customer service has become non-existent, in all honesty it is a detraction. Your IT people will have to train West's IT people. They will likely sell you the wrong version initially, etc. If you are a new user, a migrating user, just expect to have lots of headaches in the beginning. But once you master the software, it is worth it!

Great vision for a converged legal platform, but clearly under-resourced

We need a unified platform for all data entry and consumption that understands the legal business. ProLaw does that well. It allows us to maintain a high standard of data integrity, provide a large degree of automation, and develop solutions on top of a central "hub" that everyone understands. The vision is great, the implementation is not so great. The people are great, the company is not so great. If you have good IT support, It's great. If not, well...

Pros

Centralized data management is very powerful. No other solution provides CMS, DMS, Document Assembly, Calendaring, Routing, Cost Management, Accounting, Billing/Collections, and Groupware Integration all in one platform. ProLaw allows us to have all front office and back office work in one system. Reducing the need for duplication of effort, and reducing the possible errors caused by that effort....

Cons

ProLaw is clearly under-resourced, Implementation is buggy and upgrades are a nightmare. While individual Customer service is fantastic, there is a lack of modern support such as self service installers, 64-bit applications, and proper quality assurance. ProLaw can be slow, clunky, and just feels out of date. Controls have no real business validation, As one attorney said, "It looks like something...

All in one gets the job done

We remain with ProLaw because it is highly customizable and offers the best value for a firm our size. We continue to exploit every feature it offers, sometimes even beyond that for which it was designed.

Pros

The best feature of ProLaw is only having to learn one program. We use it for our document management, case management and deadline management. That translates into a time savings and shorter learning curve for new hires since we are only training on one piece of software.

Cons

It is buggy, you have to live with the bugs for years until you can determine that the newest release of the product has been thoroughly vetted before adopting it to solve old issues. When updates come out there are invariably new bugs introduced.

Opinions on Prolaw

Overall its been pretty solid. We can get the job done and we manage to get through the issues when they come up.

Pros

Overall Prolaw is a nice piece of software. There are very few packages out there that integrate front office and back office. Particularly for accounting. Its a one-stop shop for us.

Cons

There are two overwhelming issues that have been a thorn in our side throughout the years we have owned the software. The first issue being the lack of quality customer service and second, a clunky soviet era interface that never seems to have evolved. I say this with the understanding that there have been substantial improvements on the backend over the years. I can appreciate this as a systems guy,...

all encompassing - server based Prolaw - purchased in 2003 for $10,000

I loved it - it is difficult to use - but it is highly data driven and every penny of the accounting is at your fingertips. No QB needed.

Pros

this is the only system with full accounting at the time it was purchased circa 2003, at the time - that was a big deal. The system was purchased out right and lived on the server.

Cons

it was server based - so nobody could login remotely without VPN- that is a silly inconvenience at this point in 2020

Prolaw was wonderful, but then they UPGRADED now it runs slow and doesn't play well with the other programs that we use

Earlier versions of Prolaw were great - - before their latest updates. Now it it really a pain there are functions that require you to basically -- go around the block to cross the street!

Pros

online file management program is awesome. just like having a paper file with everything in its place.

Cons

Following their latest updates, it is slow to start and causes other programs to freeze up or not work at all. By other programs, I mean things you need, like Word and Outlook

Useful but not intuitive or user friendly

I no longer use this software and here they have improved, but it would take a lot for me to want to give them another try.

Pros

It has a good bit of automation built in, and they are working to add more. Inputting information is fairly easy and reviewing notes is takes no effort at all. It is great for a firm that deal with fewer, more complex matters.

Cons

The system is a bit clunky. They lag behind some of their competitors in functionality and ease of use. Merging documents can be done, but it is a process. Also, updates often come with bugs.

Old school but simple

Pros

I like that Prolaw is straightforward and easy to use. It makes organization of a litigation file easy and things are easy to find quickly.

Cons

It is very old school looking- looks like it was made in 2004. It is buggy at times and gets hung up on certain routine tasks.

Honest review by long-timer user

Pros

The file management is the best part about this software.

Cons

Too many to list: tiny font, each additional feature is an upgrade in cost, limited reporting, customer service is a nightmare!

Prolaw does what it needs to do, but boy does it look like it's from the year 1998

The legal firm I worked with migrated out of another database software to ProLaw. ProLaw looks and feels like a Windows 98 computer. It's also like Evernote, which means that if whoever set it up did it poorly, then the whole system breaks down.

Pros

It organizes all of our legal documents, and the data is solid. No data issues so far. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to find clients and the files you saved in there.

Cons

It's so stupidly clunky. To create a matter, it requires multiple steps upon multiple steps. To upload a file, you then have a assortment of options to choose from, which all do the same thing. ProLaw could use a UX designer to modernize things.

No software is perfect, but there are a few things with ProLaw that should be addressed more quickly

Pros

1) Easy to use and understand the flow of data (but see con #1) 2) General customer support has good turn around times (but see con #4) 3) Ability to write your own MSSRS reports (if you know SQL programming language! NOT easy to learn)

Cons

I should pre-phrase this by saying that we are on an older version of ProLaw. 1) Regularly has hiccups where we have to shut it down and reopen it to make it work properly - for simple things like invoice postings. (May be fixed on newer version) 2) Has problems that can't be fixed so we have to come up with some workaround such as comparison reports and then from those results making manual journal...

ProLaw 2017.1

ProLaw is all you'll need for your legal practice. Easy to use and functionality is superb. The interface is easy to read, making it easy to use. I was able to navigate the application pretty easily with limited training. Having an all in one system, allows the firm to have access to front and back office information with a few clicks.

Pros

I have the capability to run a report for client information at your fingertips is what I like most. This allows the firm to keep up with their clients and allows you to follow-up with running a simple report

Cons

Profiling documents seem to have gone backwards. The process to profile a document takes longer than the old platform. It's easier to just open the matter you'd like to save to and drag and drop. Also, report writing is such a process, it forces you to have ProLaw complete most of the report writing tasks.

Less Paper - Law Firm

As the title says - - - less paper!

Pros

Our firm uses this product as a true practice management tool. We use front and back office modules. ProLaw has allowed us to be an almost paperless law firm. Everything goes into ProLaw and we have true digital files/matters. We recently went through an audit with one of our clients and were able to provide limited access to the client. They loved ProLaw! I spent 15 - 20 training them on how to access documents and they had no problems going forward.

Cons

There are some features that need some work, but in comparison to other programs it is still the best practice/document/billing management program going for law firms.

Easy to use and practical.

Pros

It's search capabilities, the multiple things that can be managed in one software. The auto spell complete feature.

Cons

We might have an older version - but I think the look appearance overall should be more modern. Maybe easier accessibility from feature to feature instead of having to go to the main page each time - maybe you can always have a quick menu option no matter what you are currently working on. For example if I'm entering time summaries why do I have to minimize each window to get to the main dialog box with the main menu as opposed to having the option to go to contacts right on the toolbar that I have while working on time summaries. Even having a tab feature such as web browsers do - to make multi tasking easier.

A Solid Software to kee track of your cases

I used Pro Law for years at my law firm. I have to say that during the time I used it one of the best things was that we were able to install it on the computers. The new softwares I see now are mostly online only like Rocket Matters. Online only vs on desktop is really what you have to ask yourself. Online you can get access on any computer you use but programs like Pro law I remember were faster and never offline. The down part is that you have to be on your destop. I would suggest getting pro law if you have 1 office and not very many staff members. Otherwise you might want to go with something that is better online if you are always changing offices.

Pros

I like how fast and reliable it is for your computer. I like being able to have different users. It does everything you need a software to use for managing your firm.

Cons

You can not access it over a browser at least not the years I used it. You needed the software installed. The them was not very bright but that might have just been my default settings. I assume most people keep their default setting and not change them to make sure they dont mess anything up.

Stay Current

Very happy during the initial decade.......now on the verge of discontinuing our use and changing vendors. Will decide in the next 6 months if we're leaving ProLaw.

Pros

Ease of use for most features. Front office much better than back office.

Cons

ProLaw is not staying current with programming for electronic billing. Larger institutions are migrating to LEDES format and ProLaw is way behind in its programming for same. Users should not have to subscribe to eBilling to accommodate these invoicing requirements. Very disappointed and on the cusp of changing software providers. Please get up to speed!

Great workflow, docketing and document management for law firms!

Pros

In comparison to programs like World Docs & Perfect Practice, ProLaw offered many additional workflow and tracking features that allowed me to adapt a high volume law firm's ever-changing practices and procedures. This is a full case management system where case notes, tracking, tasking, document storage, billing and timekeeping is all-in-one. My regional client representative at ProLaw treated me like a VIP and was always on call to help get me answers to any new challenges in customizing the system.

Cons

The reporting mechanisms were not the best, and it always took some work to convert data into an Excel format that worked for our staff. Sometimes IT tech support at ProLaw delayed their responses to helpdesk tickets.

Haven't found anything better

We haven't found a better solution for our law firm needs, although we always look at new options.

Pros

Prolaw is the gold standard for law firm management and document generation. The front end is user friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons

The back end is a little tricky. Setting up the document generators is difficult and not always easy to edit. It also times out a lot and loses connection.

Customer for 20 years

Pros

Easy to use. Can be modified easily for our specific needs.

Cons

After purchasing the mobile version that would work on an IPad, we were told that it would not include custom tabs. Our use of custom tabs is very important. That purchase was a waste of money for us.

Excellent all around product

ProLaw is an excellent tool to bring all facets of a law firm under one system. Coming from large corporations it was amazing to me to find that there are companies utilizing multiple non-integrated platforms to run their business. Switching to ProLaw has now given us the ability to use a single platform to run every segment of our business. It provides management reporting that allows us to make sound business decisions and provide exemplary customer service to our clients.

Pros

It contains every user function you can thing of. ProLaw provides initial setup and training so that your business and you SOP's are incorporated into the set up. It can save you magnitudes of time. ProLaw offers classes, and can do custom work to your system. ProLaw has partnered with many certified third party vendors to provide additional functions to ProLaw or services to make ProLaw cloud based. ProLaw has fully automated credit card processing through a third party vendor, Clientpay.

Cons

It contains every user function you can thing of. Creating SQL advanced reports is difficult.

2017 Downgrade is apalling

Very poor system for tracking address/contact changes over time. The ease of data entry sometimes makes it too easy to inadvertently overtype. Bizarre Contacts display system of First Middle Last, without an option for Last, First Middle, even as Matters display only by Last, First Middle. Building search queries requires significant technical knowledge and cannot be done by even seasoned users. Interface is not intuitive. Some symbols are used for multiple functions.

Pros

Documents can be displayed in a number of organizational ways as fits the user's preference/needs.

Cons

Getting those documents tagged and into Prolaw is a nightmare. Previous "Profiling" function allowed for filing an email attachment only. That's gone. Now you either have to separate the attachment from the email or click through the email to get to the attachment once it is in Prolaw. Previous "Profiling" function allowed user to easily switch and mix between keyboard and mouse driven-commands....

Last update GIANT step BACKWARD

In prior version, when saving an email, for example, if the client/matter number was referenced in the subject, saving the email automatically populated the client/matter number and the email was recognized as such. After the most current update, ALL fields on EVERY document must be entered in order to save or create a new document. This means users are required to enter several times MORE keystrokes than in prior version to accomplish the same tasks. HUGE step backward. VERY time-consuming and frustratingly inefficient. Lord, strike me with a nasty case of pimples if I EVER complain about I-Manage again!

Pros

Drag and drop email saving - except the latest update defaults to attached doc/attached doc class/event.

Cons

Last update completely reversed the ease and efficiency of prior version. ALL document saving requires that ALL information be entered on EVERY document saved. Client/matter numbers are required, as are ALL info fields for each doc saved. Some of this was auto-populated in prior version. Current version takes users TWICE as long to save docs.

Complex but Comprehensive

I used it for 4 years and then because it was so difficult, I went with a more user friendly system.

Pros

The best thing about prolaw was the ability to link client files on one main server that can be accessed by multiple users. I like that the addresses and CMS were easily used to mail merge and to do newsletters.The invoicing was also super easy to use and you are able to capture billable time easily.

Cons

It did not play well with others like Word, Excell and Outlook. I had a very difficult time transferring the files over to a new system and the customer service was very poor.

ProLaw Review

This is the best law firm accounting package available on the market, in my opinion

Pros

This program combines all features needed for timekeeping and billing and report management and it integrates with its other programs such as accounting

Cons

Because it is such a sophisticated program it can be difficult to learn but the installation support/training team is excellent, responsive and supportive

Makes my job easier

Pros

Love how it auto populates my documents and keeps my matters all in one place.

Cons

Sometimes there are difficulties transferring documents from my desktop to pro law

Select your country

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.