Rocket Matter

Legal Practice Management & Time and Billing Software

Rocket Matter Reviews

Pros

Technical support is fabulous, both through packaged online help and, on the very few occasions when it has been necessary, direct contact with a technical support representative.

Michael G.

Overall, my experience with Rocket Matter has been very successful in navigating through the website and it is pretty self explanatory which helps when training new employees comes up.

Brittany G.

I also love the layout, being able to customize, the drop-down feature helps keep me organized and the page clean.

Jessica R.

Cons

It freezes all the time. This is disruptive to my workday.

Mallory S.

It defaults to the current date which is slightly annoying when you are entering time for a prior date.

Joan L.

Constant problems with slow service. Accounting feature does not integrate well with QUICKBOOKS.

Best Cloud Software for Client Management

Transcript

Speaker 1: Good morning. My name is Eliel. I'm a bookkeeper for the Florida law firm. Today. I'm going...

Not impressed

Transcript

Maritza: Hi, my name is Maritza, and I'm a paralegal in the legal profession. I give Rocket Matter a...

Rocket Matter Review

It's been pretty solid, but there have been a few really heavy bumps in the road to get us to full functionality. Customer support team is excellent (shoutout to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]) but it took us a really long time to get to being able to use the system fully.

Pros

Ease of overall billing process and generating Prebills. Other systems required too much additional work to generate an invoice or mark-up a Prebill. Rocket Matter made it so I have to do less than three steps to generate bills and it has saved a ton of time.

Cons

Not being able to write checks directly out of Rocket Matter and having to invest in Quickbooks additionally.

Kareem, Thank you for the kind review! We are thrilled to hear you have been happy with Rocket Matter and look forward to our continued partnership!

Easy to use and full of features

Pros

Ease of use and setup. Customer service has been great and responsive. Also the cost for what it does is reasonable.

Cons

There a ton of integrations that RocketMatter has, but most require their own subscription. So the cost of this is only the start. From my research, all of the practice management software requires other software and most of that software requires a subscription.

Dated Product, clunky interface.

Their support desk employees are responsive when you call them for support, but their development side is sorely lacking. Overall, how good is it? My old firm developed our own in-house software in the late 1990s that still out performs Rocketmatter.

Pros

RocketMatter was a good value for the money when it first came out. It has fallen well behind other software now.

Cons

When we signed up for RocketMatter is was being praised as a modern platform. Unfortunately it is not modern. It is now like driving an old used car held together with duct tape. RocketMatter is not updating the platform at all. It seems like all they do is release APIs to allow other programs to link to it. Many of those links are clunky, ill conceived and generally a nuisance. I defy anyone...

James, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to hear that you have experienced some frustration with Rocket Matter. We have recently updated our mobile application and are hard at work to ensure that other customer-requested improvements and features are added to our software on a monthly basis. We would really love the opportunity to speak to you regarding your personal experience with Rocket Matter so that we can make it right. Please be on the lookout for an email from our support team so we may discuss how we can help work toward a solution. Thanks!

Rocket Matter is great case management software

It has been very good which is why we have stuck with them for 7 years now. It is especially highlighted for me now that we also have a CRM software. We have had 2 different CRMs and neither one of them had the easy standard reporting features of Rocket Matter. I would consider using RM if they had a CRM.

Pros

I love the reporting features that are built in. It makes it easy for me to find data about the operation of the business. It is very easy to run invoices and track time.

Cons

It is difficult to pull reports that are not standard part of RM package. The RM team has helped us device a way to do so but it is still clunky. It also took approx 20 hours of my staff time working with RM team to make it possible to add interest to client invoices. It something that should be standard in any case management software that does billing.

Great Service and Functionality

I am very pleased with the service.

Pros

That is is a cloud based program with updates and customer service included in the subscription.

Cons

I would like a billing option to have the timer, with a short description of the action (that is always generated on the invoicing), but another section for notes (because I will sometime take notes on the timer description) that do not generate on the invoicing. Because, sometimes I will have to go back through the invoice and delete verbiage. Also, the phone/iPad app does not work very well...I find.

RM Review for Law Office

I have used this product for timekeeping and billing for over 8 plus years now. It seems to work well with my office.

Pros

It is user friendly. Some of the billing I would like to change as to how it prints out, but maybe that is user error. Customer service is excellent!

Cons

The billing features are a little dated.

Much better than previous billing software(s)!

It's been great. Support is fantastic!

Pros

It's very easy to use and the support staff is fantastic

Cons

There is not feature to add admin users for billing without paying for an additional user

Billing is so much easier!

Overall Im very pleased.

Pros

The ease of batch billing and notifications to client. Our previous software was awful and did not include blast emailing to customers. Now that we have switched back to RM my billing is being done regularly and clients are not missing invoices.

Cons

Recently I needed a report run for a client and I was not able to easily get the information I needed.

Rocket Matter works well and the staff have always been very helpful. You have a good product.

Pros

I set up all the contacts, matters and users. I am the bookkeeper so I post all expenses and payments. I also post some time. All of the features work well. I also like some of the trust features. I also think that your support team is very good. They are always respectful and try to answer any questions that I have thrown their way.

Cons

Setting up matters - I would like to see a template that allows you to set hourly rates for employees. Trust accounting - It would be great if you could assign a minimum balance on the trust account for expenses such as court cost, register of deed, etc. For example the account can't deduct anything from the trust account for invoice when it reaches $200. Anything spend out of the $200 must be maunally posted. It would also be good if there was a way to produce trust letters like you produce invoices. I send out letters quarterly, annually and final.

Search Contact

Good, it is nice to be able to call and get help right away and if they can't help you they will get back to you pretty quickly

Pros

The different features that you can do and the support

Cons

When you search someone that is only a contact, nothing comes up, you have to search to the left under the contact section. I wish you could just start searching and it will show the contact. It shows activity but not the contact. Of course it lets you click on the contact when it has a matter associated with it I just think it would be better to search it from there. We never use the contact thing on the left of the screen

Great for a small law firm

I've loved using this product, it's simple and keeps my firm organized.

Pros

Many features with Rocket Matter are similar to other software out there. I've sat through a lot of tutorials while considering making a switch, no reason in particular, just wanted to know if there was something better available. I will say the one thing I love about this product is it is very user friendly. Functions and features are consistently being added to make daily tasks easier. Our firm practices...

Cons

I wish there was a way to track who put something in at what time, and if it was deleted or edited, who and at what time that happened. Would also love more integration with case law sites or software and possibly a way to save said case law to certain matters for easy access in the future. File storage seemed to be the main issue I noticed while looking into other products, however, for the price of Rocket Matter, what is offered is understandable.

Awesome in the cloud practice management service!!!

Our law firm has been using Rocket Matter since 2012. Moving to the cloud was a bit of a learning curve for some of our staff, but they quickly caught on. Since then we have continued to grow in our overall usage of Rocket Matter features and functionality. As a result our firm productivity has increased greatly - particularly in the areas of capturing time and expenses. This in turn has improved...

Pros

Ease of use. Available across numerous platforms. Accessible anywhere there is internet connectivity. UI appearance (aesthetics). "Spotlight" search and Advanced Search functionality. Customizable invoices (MS Word document format). Responsiveness of app/software. Friendly customer service reps who assist us with questions or issues that may arise.

Cons

Initially the reporting capabilities were rather limited in Rocket Matter, but have only improved steadily. Recent additions such as the advanced analytical reports are proving to be very useful tools for the firm owners to monitor the practice's "metrics".

Rocket Matter is everything you need. And it is Great!

Rocket Matters (RM) is everything you need for your law office and most other practices. My company has been using it since around January 2013 and we are very happy with it. Before I have used ProLaw, Clio, and Abacuslaw but RM blows the others out of the water.

Pros

You can upload documents to every matter/case you have. You can put in transactions. This is specially useful so that any user can see what has been happening in the case. It is also very easy to read unlike ProLaw/Abacuslaw. The system feels clean and clutter free. The system is very easy to use. Adding documents/notes/transactions/billing is very useful. We love that we are able to add tags to matters. Very often you have case numbers, family members that are a part of the case but the name of the case is in someone else's name. Without these it is very difficult to match some correspondences to their cases. There is a build in time you can use to assist you with billing for what you are doing. RM is very easy to teach to new staff. Most things are self explanatory.

Cons

Very few. Sometimes when they redesign the system it can take some getting used to. But this is true of every program out there. And even then they give you over 30 days were you can try the new design and still go back to the old one if you have trouble with it. Sometimes the system can be slow. However this can be a combination of the computer and internet speed. Sometimes you can't duplicate case names. Which makes sense in a way since you don't want to confuse it with another case and make an error, but too often client's have the same name.

Rocketmatter for Legal professionals

Pros

The ease in using this software makes working to track time spent on cases flawless.

Cons

I least like that you have to manually input custom billing rates. I think an option to select a handful of cases to all set billing until we need to adjust cases due to increased or decreased billing per hour.

Perfect for the Sole Practioner

Rocke Mmatter streamlined our billing process so that what used to take 4-5 days per month (I kid you not) with Quickbooks Professional for law offices , now takes a few hours.

Pros

1. Keeping track of time I think is the bane of all attorneys no matter how large the firm. I love that I can open a timer and save the work and come back to the same time if I get interrupted - which is always! 2. I love the client portal component and so do my clients, well with the exception that they frequently forget their log in information and have to obtain that from me. 3. Billing and payments are super easy. 4. The reports are easy to use.

Cons

1. That there is no email component that integrates the calendar with email. I wish the new text feature wasn't so expensive. For solo practitioners I just can't see that there is a good cost/need or want ratio. 2. I imagine if I wanted to get the most out of Rocket Matter it would take hours of me going through tutorials to fully understand all the functions. I really need to explore the document prep section. 3. Kanban - what is it for?

Rocket Matter makes my and my clients' lives easier

I love that I or my staff can look up anything we need to know about any case whenever we need to when a client calls; when we are on the go; or when working from home or on a trip. Uploaded documents and linking emails to a case on Rocketmatter makes every case file easy to find and use no matter where I am. It's like my whole filing cabinet is with me wherever I need it. And notes make digging through...

Pros

Easy to use, keep everything organized, keeps me on track, increase communications between staff and attorneys, mobile.

Cons

The iPad app is very glitchy; two-way calendar syncing with iCal has long been difficult if not impossible; Syncing calendars with Google cal is glitchy; billing for large insurance companies (LEDES for example) is difficult; and the software can be slow at times depending on your access to high speed internet.

Rocket Matter Support Team can't be Beat!

Although I feel that there are some features that could be adjusted or tweaked to make better, I gave a resounding 5 star rating to the service team there and would have given more if available. When I hit a road block, 9 times out of 10, the team there gets it "fixed" while I'm on the phone, within minutes, (I do like being able to talk with a human quickly for most problems). If the issue is one that is a bit more complicated, they do not hesitate to get help from someone who has maybe been there longer or might have had the issue come up before. And, they are always willing to "put suggestions" in front of the developing team. They always work with you on your level and can put it in words that anyone can understand.

Pros

That I can get help anytime I need it. Again, hats off to a great support team!

Cons

the calendar . . . I wish it was easier to enter events without having to go back and forth between the calendar and the event screen . . . that you could enter multiple events on the same screen . . . I wish that there were more color categories . . . We use outlook calendar and cannot sync with Rocket Matter for this reason. We use different color categories for mediations, hearings, etc. And, combine those categories with the attorney/people attending each. Do not like that you have individual "blocks" if more than one person is attending the same event.

Not just for Mac Users

This software does all it claims to do and does it well.

Pros

Many years ago Rocket matter was brought to my attention as a billing, time management and accounting tool for Mac users. Since then it has grown and has outgrown its reputation as a Mac program while not outgrowing its utility for Mac Users. My assistant uses a PC running Windows. My accountant works on Linux and everyone communicates flawlessly. I spend 80 percent of my work time on my iPad Pro...

Cons

Every now and then I make suggestions to Rocket Matter and its features. I would like to complain but RM in fact listens to its clients.

Quality Software, Frequent Freezes

It allows us to easily track time and bill clients.

Pros

I like the ease of billing clients. I can do it from anywhere.

Cons

It freezes all the time. This is disruptive to my workday.

Mallory, Thank you for your feedback! It makes us happy to know that you find our program easy to use. Regarding our speed, we are always looking for ways to increase our platform's performance. We will definitely make sure to pass along this info to our engineering team. If any problems persist, please be sure to reach out to our support team who can help perform some troubleshooting. You can reach us at support@rocketmatter.com or call us at 888-432-1529. Thanks again!

Great program for Solo/Small Firm setting

I have been using Rocket Matter for the past 4 years and have been extremely satisfied with it. In my previous big firm life we used a billing system that wasted more time than it saved and we didn't even use a case management system. Starting my own firm I knew that I wanted something better that would streamline my practice. Rocket Matter filled those needs, plus some. The billing side of Rocket...

Cons

Rocket Matter makes it easy to make money

I have been using this program for a few years for my small firm and love it. It is very easy to get started, add a client and start billing. Creating your invoices is equally as easy. Most of all, their customer service has been above and beyond and I truly appreciate that. I had an issue a few years back that seemed complex and they went in to the system and made the fix ASAP and were very considerate of the stress it was causing me not to be able to do my billing.

Pros

The iPhone app makes it easy to track billing on the road The interface is very user friendly They are very responsive to customer concerns I worked for a firm as a legal secretary before I was an attorney. We had an issue with losing billing one month and the backup was corrupted. We had to work round the clock to recreate the billing to get paid that month. It was a nightmare. Having this saves money and headaches.

Best Customer Support

I would recommend Rocket Matter for solos and small firms, at a minimum.

Pros

This software comes with the most responsive and dedicated customer support I've experienced with all my other apps I use. Rocket Matter has been essential in the generation of invoices for my practice. I couldn't see myself use another app in its place.

Cons

Missing seamless feature of having multiple persons as clients for the same matter (i.e., two spouses).

Affordable and User Friendly

Overall, Rocket Matter combines the best features of case management software at a more affordable rate than their competitors.

Pros

Rocket Matter makes it very easy in our law practice to do new client intakes, use cloud storage to create digital versions of our files, keep real-time notes, check for potential conflicts, message within the office, reconcile our bookkeeping, send payments, and merge documents all in one place.

Cons

It would be helpful if the app had more features, such as messaging. The app shouldn't be a substitute for the desktop but I think the app could use a few upgrades.

Rocket Matter the spine of our business

Pros

The software serves as the hub of the law practice. It manages case process billing and our document assembly. Very functional, great value for money and easy to use

Cons

The connectivity to rocket matter via web can sometimes be down. I believe it is a server issue and they are working on it.

Rocket Matter = Single Most Important Decision I Made When Starting My New Firm

When I started my new practice, North Coast Legal, PLC, there were many decisions to make..... phone systems, billing, case management, location, staffing, etc..... I could not be happier with my case management/billing choice in Rocket Matter. I am more organized than I have ever been, I don't miss a $ of billing opportunity, my Invoices are complete, accurate and very professional. I.... Can't..... Recommend.... Rocket Matter... .Enough! Top notch product. Top notch customer service. Continuing to launch new, value added features.

Pros

Billing = $. Rocket Matter keeps me organized and allows me to not miss a billing opportunity. The interface is excellent.

Cons

Although the I-Phone App is good, there are some features missing from the PC interface. I wish there was a faster way to input payments of multiple Invoices. Right now too many steps. I've expressed this concern to Rocket Matter and based upon their track record, I fully expect they will address the issue.