LegalWorks Reviews

4.05/5 (19 reviews)

Barbara Rosen

We've used Legal Works since late March 2017 and like it.

Reviewed 2017-12-28

Better organization of files and of client emails in client files.

Pros
I like the ease of use and speed of updating files. I also like the ability to save PDF documents as RTF documents so they can be edited. So far we've only used the basic plan but we are planning to upgrade in early 2018 to the professional legal works package.

Cons
I just have one big Con. The transfer of each file was treated as a modification, so we lost historical information regarding the latest pre-conversion modifications to our documents and PDFs. For many documents that creates a problem with locating the latest versions since they all have the date 3/29/17 except for the ones we've worked on since then. I can't over-emphasize how inconvenient this is. It would have been nice to let us know this would happen so we could put dates in titles or something to preserve that historical information. It would be even better if the pre-transfer information became part of the description somehow automatically.

Rebecca Silva

9/20/2018

Reviewed 2018-09-20

Having a place to store everything and know that it is secure and accessible.

Pros
Customer service. No matter how great a program is, if you cant get help when you need it it doesn't matter. I don't think i have ever waited more than 5 minutes to get an agent on the phone, and usually it's within 2 minutes.

Cons
Sometimes you get bumped out of certain function and they have to reset it. Saving documents sometimes seems like a 3 step process when it could be 2. I have to say thought that over time they do tend to work the kinks out, and since we have been using them they have improved. When the technology has changed they have changed too.

JAZMIN MARTINEZ

Superb customer service and easy to use system!

Reviewed 2017-12-27

Able to access documents even if we are not in the office, the ability to search old cases/documents using key words and the ability to personalize notes in every matter.

Pros
The ability to obtain case information/file information anywhere I am as long as I have a Wi-Fi/internet connection and the ability to search for any documents using keywords.

Cons
I dislike the fact that "closed matters" still appear on my desktop files, they do not appear on the web version of Uptime unless selected. If there was a way to make it a little more user friendly on the desktop version so our matters are not so crowded it would really help!

Sarah Sheluchin

East to get started, great customer support

Reviewed 2019-06-11

Pros
Initial deployment of the software was easy and hassle free. Customer service for LegalWorks was a real standout. Integration with Outlook was crucial in our decision to use LegaWorks.

Cons
Very similar to most other practice management software on the market.

Jason Oldenburg

Solid software with great OCR and search functions. Works well for my practice areas.

Reviewed 2017-08-09

It is my document management software for my law firm.

Pros
The customer service is amazing. They are very timely and helpful. The system is very easy to work with and the conversion from my old practice software was pretty much seamless. It has good search features and automatically OCR's all PDF. It works well with window's explorer so moving files within the system is very easy to do. The uploading of documents and files is super easy and quick.

Cons
I don't like that that the software is designed to run with Internet Explorer as I typically use a different internet browser. I wish the application would allow me to save my outlook email directly to the designated matter sub folder through the add-in versus having to do a save as with Window's explorer. The separation of notes and emails by general matter but not into specific sub folder does not make sense for my practice area as I have several open cases within a specific matter. Therefore, I don't really use that feature. I have to use the save as function with Window's Explorer more often than I feel I should.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Scott M.

Worst legal document management system I've ever used

Reviewed 2019-05-15

Horrible. See above.

Pros
There is nothing that I like about this system.

Cons
I have used several other systems (Worldox, Hummingbird, etc.). From day one, the Legalworks system was deficient. Trying to move a document or e-mail to Legalworks was a disaster. It was slow and often froze my Outlook and disabled Legalworks, forcing to me make many ongoing calls (over the span of a year) to Legalworks. The problem was never squarely identified or fixed permanently, but it was clear that there was a deficiency in the product. After a year, we've now experienced 3 complete failures of the system (which I understand is nationwide). The last crash lasted 2-3 days, which in a law firm of 40 attorneys and 20 paralegals cost countless hours and dollars. Currently, the system has crashed yesterday, and is still crashed today, and now it has crashed Outlook. So, for law firms who work mostly in documents and e-mail, countless hours and dollars again are lost. Legalworks simply does nothing to fix the problem - other than sending nationwide apology e-mails. I would never recommend this product to anyone, and our firm is in the process of selecting another product to replace this one.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

brada thies

Uptime is aptly named since we have had very few disruptions in over 2 years.

Reviewed 2017-06-22

Efficient and economic storage and access to the necessary data of the firm. The support provided is also very helpful.

Pros
Fairly easy to use and logical even for new hires. The organization of the system is great and falls in line with industry standards.

Cons
Some of the features of legal works 1.0 are a bit clunky, specifically the calendar. The other thing that would be beneficial would be better access from smart phones.

Jodi-Ann McLane

Overall we like Legalworks, but wish that it had better integration with some of the functionalities

Reviewed 2017-12-27

Pros
Easy to set up clients and to save to matter folders. Pretty intuitive when it comes to the save and setting up portions.

Cons
Features that we were excited about are no longer being supported like drag and drop from Outlook and the Calendar function. Others like tasks aren't as intuitive as they could be and don't sync with Outlook. Also Outlook sync is only one way.

David Hirsch

Frustrated

Reviewed 2019-05-21

With our own adaptions and when the program is working its sufficies as a cheaper version of Amicus for us. Now with the program down we are too frustrated for words. They have no answer as to when it might be functional again.

Pros
I adapted the program to meet my law firm needs. I used the new client and new related party first name line to include the entire address and email/fax number as it would appear on a letter head. That way it comes up showing info I need on the case list as well as can be copied in edit and pasted right into an email or letter. Otherwise I am hunting back and forth for 10 minutes just to get first name, last name, address, email etc. I am sure that kills any report searches but makes life easier for me by far. In Amicus they had a copy address button. This is my answer to that.

Cons
The program has gone entirely down for two weeks leaving us with no calendar and no access to our files. WE still can't update information in our files as I write this. We are being forced to go back to Amicus just out of survival mode. They seem to be without answers.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Patti Gomez

Easy to use and amazing customer service.

Reviewed 2018-06-18

The biggest benefit is portability of our files and ease of access. Files are always up to date!

Pros
Easy transition from paper to electronic files. The system is professionally set up and runs seamlessly in/out of the office.

Cons
The only downside is it is not possible to save emails to LegalWorks on the iphone/ipad. Other than that, we have no complaints!

Howard Bundy

Excellent document management program

Reviewed 2017-05-26

Better organization of an access to my documents.

Pros
There is no "one" thing I like "most". Several items: all documents are searchable; it keeps documents organized and makes locating a document easy. It has become the core of our practice.

Cons
It still needs additional features (at least some of which I understand they are working on): smoother integration with at least one practice management software; a more robust local sync; and it needs a smoother integration with or its own archiving system.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Christine Williams

LW Review

Reviewed 2018-10-03

We are pleased with how responsive the entire team is when we have any issues or questions that need attention. The reps that we deal with are for the most part extremely helpful and pleasant. When they are unable to fix a problem quickly, they endeavor to look into the issue and get back to us with a solution in a timely fashion.

Pros
It was fairly simple to change over to LegalWorks and we were able to begin working immediately without long tutorials or hassles trying to figure out how to do everyday tasks.

Cons
When we first started, we were unaware that LegalWorks was a SharePoint based system. We changed our document management system because we wanted to get away from SharePoint. We found it cumbersome, the search abilities did not meet our needs or wants, and we just found it difficult to navigate. We do, however, agree that our difficulties with SharePoint was largely our lack of knowledge of it's capabilities. Had we known that LegalWorks was based off of SharePoint, we probably would not have signed on with them.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Barney Cohen

My experience with LegalWorks has been terrific. High quality product and services.

Reviewed 2017-06-02

Pros
LegalWorks helps me to keep my files organized and easy to search and find. It's interface is straightforward and easy to navigate.

John Owen

This has been a very good product for our law firm

Reviewed 2017-06-20

Pros
This software is fairly easy to use and well organized. Easy to transition your data to Legalworks.

Cons
Some of our staff not well versed on computers. Better training at the start would help. Ongoing training and classes would be a good idea.

Robert Roseman

Uptime legal was superb to work with in connection with my conversion to LegalWorks

Reviewed 2017-07-13

Web access to my practice with heavy duty cloud security. More efficient organization of client matters which now have all emails and documents sequentially in one place.

Pros
I like the functionality of the program, particularly the ease of organizing all related emails and documents by client or firm matter. I also appreciate its availability in the cloud which can be accessed through any device. The fact that it automatically OCR's every document makes the ability to search and locate documents or clauses much faster than other programs that require multiple steps to achieve the same result.

James Menker

This product is easy to learn how to use and easy to use. Very responsive technical support.

Reviewed 2017-12-27

The biggest benefit is the ability to save documents in the cloud and access the documents from anywhere. The system allows for flexibility in organizing files.

Pros
Document interface is very easy to use. There is a lot of flexibility for adding documents to file folders. The systems appears to be very reliable.

Cons
Email interface is a little clunky. No ability to preview emails. Many times emails are shown to be duplicates when they aren't. Using the save email prompt doesn't save the emails in sent form so the emails can't be used for further follow-up.

Steven Jones

Great product.

Reviewed 2017-06-01

Pros
Easy for everyone to learn to use. Office plugins are paralleled by none. Versioning is very powerful. Ability to open folders in windows explorer is wonderful.

Cons
The document numbering feature is not live, I wish it was. While you can access legal works from your phone, I also hope Uptime comes out with their own mobile app soon.

Kim Shipman

Small Firm Big Help

Reviewed 2016-09-26

We are a small firm and do a lot of remote work. Legal Works has been very easy to use and has a very small learning curve- that was big for us. The other products we looked at needed more training than we were willing to spend time on. As a small firm we don't have time to learn something to make it work, we just need it to work. The windows explorer view and email function of Legal Works made it seamless.

Christine Williams

Team assigned to us has been very nice and supportive throughout our conversion. Helpdesk is great.

Reviewed 2017-10-04

Pros
We're still fairly new to the system so I cannot comment much on this yet. I can do another review after we have utilized it for a bit longer.

Cons
That it is SharePoint based. We do not find SharePoint to be very user friendly. However, I will reserve judgment until after we have acclimated.