Canto Reviews - Page 3

Top notch product with great UX and at a reasonable cost.

We did our fair share of research before deciding to go with Canto. We ultimately decided to go with Canto because of the ease of use (good UX) and because of the competitive price. We are considered a small business, and because of that, we could not justify the price tag associated with other DAM systems. Canto suited our needs perfectly. We needed a repository of our best photos, organized in such a way that allowed us to easily search what we were looking for. Onboarding was really simple.

Pros

The ease of use (UX) and reasonable price tag were easily the deciding factor for an organization our size (less than 50 people). Being able to add metadata, include geo-location of the photo, and managing duplicates/versioning are some of my favorite features of Canto. It also doesn't hurt that I can access the DAM assets using some of my favorite Adobe products.

Cons

Building out the folders can feel a bit clunky, but you quickly get use to it. Dragging a 'collection' from one folder to another folder isn't really as simple as I think it should be. Preview mode can seem a bit soft, but I suppose this doesn't bother me too much since the purpose of the DAM library is to help me select which photo I want to use for an ad or to build out a website, for example.

Canto is a very user-friendly DAM

Overall, Canto has been a great DAM to use and their customer service is very responsive. I would recommend this to other image professionals.

Pros

We moved our image library over to Canto about 2 years ago and I have found it to be a reliable and easily navigable platform. It's very easy to use and out of the three DAMs I've worked with, professionally, it's the easiest and most straight-forward interface.

Cons

I have very few complaints. I would love it if we could customize the branding of the platform a little more and it would be nice if there was an option to make the lightbox preview files were a little larger. (There is an option to make them larger, but the difference between the smallest view and the largest view is negligible.) There is also an issue trying to rename files once they have been uploaded. That still doesn't work. If you need to rename a file, you'll have to rename outside of Canto and re-upload.

A "DAM" good decision! So much better than Dropbox

Canto has really helped our business with the management and dissemination of digital assets. This had long been a pain point for us. I researched a lot of DAMs on the market but couldn't justify most of their pricing. Canto accomplishes what we need at a great value. While the UX can sometimes be a little challenging, I've seen continuous improvement since signing with them, which tells me they're listening and investing in their product.

Pros

The best part about Canto, for us, is the Portals feature. They're perfect for us to provide individual dealers with the authorized assets they need, while keeping our internal non-client ready assets separate. We also love the self registration feature which allows us to control who is able to gain access through an invitation code.

Cons

The UX is not always intuitive for new users. It's unique from other similar products, so there can be a learning curve for the less savvy. Our customers are less technologically inclined, and don't always understand how to do the basics. It takes some training to catch them up to speed, but afterwards, they're usually able to fend for themselves.

Canto is the best DAM product out there

Very positive, the team that helped us set it up initially was extremely helpful. The support response is quick and thorough. The amount of storage we can use gives us the confidence to store all of our files in it.

Pros

I like that Canto is on top of their game, always improving the software and releasing updates. When a feature isn't particularly user-friendly, you can put in a ticket for a suggested improvement and they will consider it in a future release.

Cons

It's a little hard to use for the general user, those who aren't power users. I had to draft up instructions on our to use the software for our general employee base.

Easy to use, slow at times

Pros

The best part of Canto is how easy it is to use. We add tags and put assets in a folder. But, it's easy for people who aren't using these assets every day to use the search function and find what they're looking for.

Cons

I really wish there was a Canto app so it's easier to download things from Canto to my phone for easy social posting. It's also slow a lot of the time. It sometimes takes a long time to upload videos and load big files.

Thank you for the review. Glad to hear that you find Canto so easy to use! Watch out for updates in the coming months!

Future for your photo library and GDPR needs.

Excellent.

Pros

Ease of use, previous to Canto we had network shares holding all our photos for our organisation - this made searching, sharing and keeping track of GDPR policies on the photos very hard. Thanks to Canto we now share, find and add photos with the upmost ease.

Cons

The ADFS link to our domain - some features you can't use due to us wanting it to link to our active directory - there is no office 365 synchronization.

Amazing for organization of media

Overall we love it as an organization. It makes my job so much easier than if I just had to search through hard drives and remember where everything was like I used to.

Pros

Love the ability to keyword and tag all of our photography, then search through thousands of photos quickly and easily. Also the ability to select a few photos and make a link to just those photos that I can send to people is something I use almost every day. The new facial recognition also works well

Cons

Working with other graphic files can be a little frustrating, i like other filesharing software more for this as with Canto I have to download a file, edit it and then reupload it. On others I have a desktop app that shows the cloud based files that I can easily just edit them and the upload and download is just automatic

Thanks for the review! We're happy to hear that Canto makes your job easier.

Canto Support Saved The Day!

Canto is an excellent resource for managing your digital assets all in one place that everyone can access.

Pros

What I like most about Canto right now is their customer support. They definitely saved the day for me a couple of Friday afternoons ago. I inadvertently deleted several important files while working on two portals. Since I'm not an admin on the account, I couldn't restore them myself. It was late on a Friday night so I couldn't contact any of our account admins. I was in a panic! However, they responded quickly and restored all of my files. I was jumping with joy! Thank you!

Cons

There are actually no cons to using Canto software. At times our team has trouble locating files but this is due more to the way we set it up.

Thank you for the review, Robin! Happy to hear that you've had such positive experiences with our support team.

Great for our Independent School

Before using Canto Flight, we had a huge photo storage problem. We are a K-12 school in the Bay Area with approximately 2,500 students. Having 3 campuses with a plethora of photos being taken at events and marketing photo shoots, we needed a solution that could store a large number of photos, be accessible off-campus (our old system was uploading all of the photos to an on-campus server), and that...

Pros

Large amount of storage space, multiple download and sharing options, ability to tag assets with keywords.

Cons

Slow to upload (slow overall), the ever-changing interface (making our tediously-made "how to" guides for staff quickly irrelevant).

Great Concept and Customer Service - Some improvements could be made

Really awesome customer service and it will get continue to get better and more intuitive.

Pros

The integration of our existing system was very fast. We had everything housed on Google Drive and then migrated it over to Canto. It was really fast and easy. The search-ability is amazing and has a really simple tagging system.

Cons

The upload time is really slow which definitely could be improved. The file organization is a little confusing since there are folders then folders within the folders then albums.

Canto is a game-changer for us

I've found the Canto team, from sales, to customer success to support really excellent, responsive, and nice to work with. It's honestly been one of the best experiences we have had with investing in a platform.

Pros

The software has a bit of everything, and it just works. The most complicated element is setting up your own metadata structure, and that's really an internal conversation about organisational culture, how we think, what we need. We love the portal functionality. There are tonnes of ways to upload, and lots of nice, very different ways to add metadata to your files.

Cons

The aesthetic is slightly dated, but that's honestly a minor quibble. Sometimes keeping it simple is what helps it work so well.

Thanks for reviewing Canto, Katrina! I'm glad to hear that you're using and enjoying our Mailchimp, Google Drive and WordPress integrations!

Flight's customer service is impeccable, I get immediate one on one attention.

Over 10,0000 images in our library searchable at the stroke of a button. Priceless!

Pros

Super easy to use, I barely even need to "train" colleagues with how to use, it's actually easier to just let people look around on the site for 2 minutes as it's so intuitive. I have been able to keep over 10K detailed, rare photos organized, located, shared, and clean in terms of duplicates and low/high res files. What I like most is the people though, the attention we got felt like the same as if we were NASA signing up, they took our project seriously and helped us baby the starting of the program right through to checking in from time to time.

Cons

There are a few little keystroke things but when Flight gets updated it seems like the engineers are on the right tracks as things improve all the time. There could be improvements with searchability, for example being able to have the drop down menu when inputting a tag come up with JOHN SMITH when I start with S and not just when I start typing J.

User friendly, super quick repository!

Overall, great to use. Awesome features, very quick. It's just unfortunate that a lot of the repository creation has to be so manual. I wish I could type in a tag, and have it attach the other equivalent tags to it automatically, without me doing it manually everytime. For example, when I tag "North America", I wish it also tagged "NA" and "N America".

Pros

I love the search functionality. It's super quick and easy to find the assets I need. Also, the share links are awesome. Everything is very user friendly. I love how you can create share links and toggle their settings. Now, we can share videos with clients and not worry about them downloading the videos. This is also much quicker for everyone. The client can watch the video on a web browser, instead of having to download it, and depending on the video size, this can take quite some more time. I love how you can adjust the search settings as well, to toggle what things you will search off of.

Cons

I wish you could quickly share "My Collections" with anyone, like create a shareable link to a collection, instead of having to select all the assets within a collection and then creating a share link. I wish some of the tools were more readily available. For example, I have to select an asset, then the select all button will appear, so I need to make 2 clicks to select everything, when I wish it could be 1.

Canto has been the solution we were looking for

Canto has been a game changer for us. We had files all over the place: file servers, personal computers, Light Room, drop box, you name it. Now we use Canto as our single repository for storing assets. Our in-house team of designers has easy access to assets because users within the various business units are contributing up-to-date information. The user interface is much like many popular stock photography websites, so our non-technical users have been quick to adopt it. Our infrastructure team also likes that we aren't sending giant email attachments anymore! We could not be more pleased with Canto.

Pros

Customer Service: If I ever email our account representative with a question or change to our account I hear back very quickly, many times within the hour. User Interface: The UI is very user friendly. We've had no issues with non-technical users adopting the system. Scalability: We love that we were able to start small and grow.

Cons

We've had some challenges with growing our the libraries and how to restrict folders, but our account manager has been working through those with us.

Canto - Adaptable and really useful

It's taken a while to set up but now we are getting along great - well worth spending the time on setup and getting it as we want it. We are saving so much time and presenting a really professional product to customers

Pros

It is easy to set up and to set users running with - highly intuitive. It means we don't have to upload, download and upload again because we can issue links to photographers and designers and work far more collaboratively. We can create showcases to show off our work and we have style guides to issue to partners. It's great for media - just send of a link with a few key files or allow them to browse

Cons

Would like the links to be easier to personalise so there is a list of which links have been sent to which people. Also having some problems with the Wordpress connectivity at the moment

Thanks for the review, Donna. We appreciate the feedback on the link updates you'd like to see!

Great DAM for Start-up

The features and customer service have been great. We are new to DAM systems, but think we made a sound investment for our fledgling company.

Pros

The Canto upload links have helped us tremendously streamline how we ingest files. We are just starting to work with the branding templates and portals which are exciting our B2B clients that we are partnering with. Canto has allowed us to work more efficiently remotely during this time and given us peace-of-mind with their security protocols.

Cons

The InDesign plugin wasn't a huge hit due to some limitations with file types and editing features.

We appreciate your feedback, Rachel! We work hard to ensure our customer data is safe, so we are happy to hear our security protocols have given your team peace of mind!

Canto is a Dream for Creatives!

Pros

The ease of access with Canto was one of the main selling features for us. Rather than trying to have multiple users fighting for access to our photos and creative assets on a single server, we now can access this any time, any where. It's incredibly user friendly, and has been easy to teach other members of the company how to navigate quickly. The overall look of the software is visually appealing and it's very simple to organize.

Cons

There are almost no cons that I can think of in terms of the software. We briefly had an issue with tags not registering on new uploads, but that was resolved very quickly and may have just been an internet glitch. Whenever I've had a question or concern, if i couldn't find the answer i needed from the internal help function, the Support Team respond so quickly that any issues are resolved almost immediately.

Thanks for considering Canto as 'A Dream for Creatives'. We appreciate the review, Emily!

Best DAM offering out there

I'm not really sure if you are asking me for a meta review of Capterra as a product or Canto but I would say if it seems like it would fit you definitely go into it. You'll find that with Portfolio you'll be searched based and the customizations are there, but it falls short on some key things Canto can have and that's namely that you can bucket everything into orderly categories that make it really easy for the end user to get at. MediaBeacon is also search based and absolutely infuriating to use. If you don't expect your end user to know what they are looking for before they go into it, you'll want Canto.

Pros

Cons

There are some really odd quirks about it on the web end of serving things up and having to restart Tomcat service and do some really frustrating hoops in setup is a thing, but if you have good support it's all good stuff and the thing is rock solid afterwards. Initial setup of DAMs is frustrating if you don't live in it, but as said in the pros area of my review it is far better than your other options out there (Extensis Portfolio and Esko's MediaBeacon would be the other two you would look at when going for DAM solutions). Gonna note that the reason I tossed the three stars out there on customer support is that it's a product supported by third party resellers, which is totally understandable

Not great for scaling a larger company

Canto is being used as our digital management across our entire company as well as with partner organizations for all photography, videography, and documents used as sales training and resources. It provides us with a visual gallery that we can directly send to potential customers and serve us as an internal resource database for past designs throughout the entire sales process.

Pros

I like most that all our digital files and photos are in one place that is accessible everywhere.

Cons

Canto is well suited for your needs if you have a fairly simple product/file system where everything has its place. Less so when you have a multi-pronged product where everything can fit into multiple categories. I also wish that the Geo feature worked better and was more accessible. We've needed to input locations into a custom Google map to see all locations across the map.

Easy to use DAM system with the features and functionality we needed, at a competitive price.

Pros

Searchability. When assets are uploaded, the system will automatically generate smart tags, and additional tags can be added manually. Our department uses specific file naming and folder structures within Flight, and the search feature makes it easy to pinpoint assets. You can search by filename, folder, metadata, tags, categories, etc. You can also group similar photos together for easy navigating, include the same asset in multiple folders, and create personal "collections" of your favorite assets.

Cons

I can honestly say that the system is working perfectly for our team's needs. There were a couple functionality issues and recommendations when we first got started that we spoke with the Flight customer support team about, and they were able to correct and implement new features based on our conversation. The system is frequently updated based on new technology and users' feedback, and the customer support team is always ready to respond.

Invaluable Asset for our Organization

Canto has been an incredible resource for managing our huge library of digital assets. We are more organized than ever, and the ease of use for our clients and suppliers has been fantastic.

Pros

Canto works on all internet platforms, shows a thumbnail preview of almost all file types (.eps, .ai, .pdf, etc) for easy recognition, and is easy to use for all of our users, and the customer service is quick to respond and find a solution for any and all issues.

Cons

There is a limited number of users that can be added to our Canto platform, and there is less opportunity for compartmentalization, as the key feature of Canto is the search function.

Thanks for reviewing Canto, Grace! We're happy to be an invaluable asset for your company! You'll hear from your account manager soon regarding users and compartmentalization.

A good DAM that could use a few updates

Overall I like the program and have had a great experience with customer service.

Pros

Canto is easy to search and navigate through. The tagging function is helpful for organization.

Cons

I do think the overall design could be improved. The UI/UX design is plain. I also think that a desktop version should be available so you can access content offline.

Evolving from fileserver clutter to valuable DAM-catalogues and -workflows

Canto helped us to get back control over our assets. The first step was to replace file servers as a silo for media assets by a sophisticated catalog solution. Within Canto we could build a metadata model that really represents the structure of information we need in order to manage assets in every context. Even challenges like assuring consistency of used terminology and translating metadata could be handled by using the standard functionality of Canto. Now we have a solid basis to meet the demands of media-enriched online marketing towards visual, social, and video networks.

Pros

It's a standard software that allows customizing by configuring and without calling for programmers. The web interface became really powerful and facilitates workflows with external contributors, press contacts, and prospective clients.

Cons

Workgroup edition requires a costly upgrade to provide functionality for managing user groups.

We've been using Canto for over 15 years. It has been pretty consistent and stable for us overall.

I manage dynamic photo collections for multiple organizations with staff spread across the US, Europe and Asia. This has been a good solution for providing that staff with access to their event images.

Pros

It is designed for image files and it manages those well. It's pretty intuitive for the end user to figure out how to perform the basic functions. 99% of the time it has been rock solid for us.

Cons

1-The interface has changed very little over the 15+ years we've been using it. It seems dated, although it is functional. 2-Server software install is too complex. I don't like having a bug introduced by a software upgrade and then having to pay to have Modula4 help us install the fix. 3-Web Solutions are lacking. We pay Modula4 to use their web interface because Canto's solution is lacking in UI appearance and functionality.

Perfect for our needs

After nearly two years of using the software i can say that this DAM fits perfect to our needs. The migration of the old DAM system was accompanied by Canto very professional. The handling of more than 200k of highres assets in several portals is fast and easy. Managing the files with the native or web client is fast and intuitive. Working together with the guys from Canto showed us how close they...

Pros

Fast, reliable, many features, company is very close to the product

Cons

Support sometimes takes its time, self managing the system is difficult because of extensive features