Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT Logo

Cloud fundraising and relationship management for nonprofits

Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT Reviews - Page 2

LP

Leland P.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

No customer support - aggressive re-subscription

RE has a lot of capabilities that are not user-friendly with little-to-no support from them, and very aggressive sales endeavors. Essentially, we did not have good experience with them at all and glad we switched to a service that is user-friendly and very responsive. We were very surprised by their strong-arm tactics to re-subscribe, although they were unsuccessful, thanks to the Better Business Bureau, at which time RE could not produce any contract to which they had claimed we were bound.

Pros

A lot of functionality for large nonprofits, yet with little to no customer support.

Cons

Very aggressive sales endeavors and dare I say devious re-subscription processes. They tried to re-subscribe us at a very high price quoting a timeline when we could decide to not re-subscribe. We tried to unsubscribe, but they said we were bound by a contract. We had been using RE for more than a decade, with no consideration. They insisted we missed the timeline to unsubscribe and demanded a very expensive fee for the following period. Ultimately, we reported them to the Better Business Bureau and they could not produce a signed contract from our agency, or even a template from them. We had a back-and-forth with RE via the BBB, at which time they stopped contacting us realizing they had no basis for their demands.

CF

Cain F.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

WITH RE-NXT, BLACKBAUD MAY HAVE GOTTEN ON THE CLOUD TOO FAST

With the NXT version of its products, along with Blackbaud pretty much forcing its customers onto the cloud, Blackbaud is making some big mistakes. They haven't thought the web products out too much before pushing them out, for one (lots of functionality that previously existed doesn't exist now, although promised), and their customer service is no longer something to rave about. Anyone interested in RE-NXT but who hasn't used the older version of the product at all is going to be more impressed by (for example) Avectra's NetForum, which is cheaper and isn't waiting for significant functionality to be rolled out.

Pros

It's good Blackbaud realized that it needed to build in the classic version ("database view") of the old Raisers Edge into its NXT cloud version of the product. The old RE remains one of the best donor-, events-, membership-management software packages around. I've been using since 1997, and Raisers Edge integrates perfectly with Financial Edge.

Cons

As I mentioned, the cloud version of the software ("web view," or what you land on as soon as you click into Blackbaud.com and sign on) is weak. Adding to the frustration is that it looks completely different from the old version of the software. The worst thing about the cloud version is that a lot of the functionality in the old version has yet to show up in the web version, although Blackbaud...

AJ

Alex J.

Environmental Services, 11-50 employees

Becoming a benefit to our organization

While we have had some hiccups converting our staff over, I think the product itself is wonderful and introduces features that we've wanted in the main database since we converted to Blackbaud products. For most, the features that it currently offers will suffice, and if they don't many of the missing features can be found in the main system. The development of new features has been going surprisingly quickly, and we expect that most of the problems we have had so far will go away as the product is updated.

Pros

The interface is a lot friendlier to the average user than the database view, making it easier to use for our employees that don't like working in databases as much. It also introduced certain features that were missing from the main database, which added some new tools to manage data and keep our information clean. The analytics is my favorite addition; while some dashboard tools exist in Raiser's Edge, in NXT they are fully thought out and allow for excellent reporting and visual depictions of our progress.

Cons

It's still an in-development product, so while this could be great for some organizations it's not at the point where it's great for all organizations. Despite the fact that it's user-friendly and many of our staff members prefer to use it, the lack of certain features from the main database make it hard for them to convert completely, and they feel that switching between the two views of the same...

TS

Tracey S.

Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 employees

A Game Changer for Prospect Managers

I think the RE NXT interface is incredibly intuitive. It helps new team members get on the ground faster with learning how to search records and find the information that they need. That said, a strong background in the database view is helpful to any member of your team, whether they are on the road or not. I would strongly suggest having teams trained formally on both systems.

Pros

What I love about RE NXT is that it helps to visualize graphs, such as donor patterns and key financial data, automatically. You no longer have to have endless queries and exports and dashboards to access the data you want the most. This helps facilitate staff meeting discussions, and also keeps all team members informed on the fly. Secondly, the prospect profiles for managers. Gone are the days of...

Cons

As with both versions of RE, you only get out what you put into it. You need to make sure you have the right policies and procedures in place, for example, to make sure that certain fields in actions are required. You'll also need to work with your team to make sure they understand the updated language from the database view to the NXT view. For example, proposals and opportunities are the same thing. This is a bit of a challenge in offices where the NXT vs. database team may not interact that much and will be speaking slightly different languages about this software. It is not a deal-breaker, just a trainable moment.

TR

Tamera R.

Civic & Social Organization, 51-200 employees

Raisers Edge is Dysfunctional

Either have SalesForce build software for you - disadvantage being that no one will be on exactly the same software so if you need changes or upgrades, you will need to pay for the programming. Advantage is that you have control over the product, and most of the expense is up front. Or go with Donor Perfect, which is truly relational, far less expensive, highly configurable, and has the best mobile ap around. And I am NOT paid by DP to say that, nor did I ever work for Blackbaud or RE.

Pros

Batch entry. That's it. If ALL you do are massive fundraisers where you bring in a thousand donations of 10 bucks apiece in one day, then RE has the batch entry system for you.

Cons

Blackbaud's contracts all have clauses that prevent users from making derogatory statements or posting negative reviews. The contract allows them to lock you out, kick you off, charge for the remainder of the contract, blah blah blah. And they enforce it. Ask yourself why a decent software would need something like that? This is NOT a relational database, and if you understand anything about software...

SC

Stephanie C.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Satisfied Raiser's Edge 7 user Ready to Make the Jump to RE NXT

I previously worked with many other database interface software in the for-profit world, where I worked for the first 15+ years of my career. So when I started using Raiser's Edge, it came relatively easily to me as it reminded me of other previously used interfaces. We have a large database of over 350K donors, and Raiser's Edge has no problem handling our volume. The Raiser's Edge 7 is now showing...

Pros

Raiser's Edge 7 gives you the tools (and/or gives you optional add-on tools) to manage your donor relationships and data in just about any way you can think of. It's a great all-purpose fundraising tool for non-profit organizations. Raiser's Edge NXT (RE NXT) is the next generation, and we are most likely moving to that within the next year. The awesome things about RE NXT are 1. User access to...

Cons

My experience with the Customer Support has been less than stellar. Sometimes it seems like the Customer Support's go-to answer is, "No" or "No, you can't do that." Unless the answer is, "Well, if you buy this other tool we have, then you can do that." But since we have no plans to move off of Blackbaud products, thank heavens they have an amazing Blackbaud Community network where you can ask any...

Museums and Institutions, 51-200 employees

A Necessary Evil

While there are a lot of new, or newer, donor management systems out there now, Raiser's Edge is still the one most organizations go with. It has all the necessary features and if you already have RE 7, switching to NXT is easier than trying to move to an entirely different system. Frontline fundraisers will find NXT much easier to use for their purposes than RE 7, but those who use Raiser's Edge a...

Pros

Raiser's Edge NXT is much more intuitive and user-friendly than its predecessors. It has many neat features built it such as the map/location function and some automatic reporting. Its mobile friendly meaning its easy to review notes or update on-the-go and the email tools built in are very useful, even if not the most robust email system.

Cons

With NXT, it seems like Blackbaud released things before they were ready. Many of the necessary features can't be done though the NXT online view and still require the database view, which is the same as RE 7. They are adding new features all the time and perfecting the ones they already have, but many times it seems like they should have perfected it before it was released. Often when they debut a new feature, I'm left with more unanswered questions. I do belive NXT view will get better over time, and it is necessary to switch over as soon RE 7 will not be available, but NXT is expensive and does often feel like it is still in development.

Michelle H.

Raiser's Finally Got an Update

Pros

I use Raiser's Edge as our donor database and the data entry, reporting features are really updated. However, when they came out with NXT, it was a game changer. NXT is amazing! It has a very attractive interface and super user friendly. As soon as you search for a record, consecutive years and all information on the donor is clear to see and it lets you know which donors you should be reaching out to. You could assign donors to others to initiate contact. You could easily access information on your mobile device. It takes the Raiser's Edge data entry interface and completely gives it a makeover. You are easily able to review giving history and all donor information on one page and very clearly.

Cons

The only thing I don't like about NXT is that the consecutive years aren't always the same as in the donor records in the database version.

EM

Emily M.

Blackbaud

Overall, we like and dislike this product. We are learning to live with some of the quirks of it because the organizational tools for fundraising seem to be quite good for us.

Pros

What I like most about this product is that as a fundraiser, I have many tools that keep me organized and remind me to thank our donors.

Cons

My co-worker who uses this software for only adding donations has a very difficult time with it. She says it takes way too many steps to add donations. It is also frustrating that you have to create a new record for someone who has been memorialized by a gift. It seems odd to add someone into your record base that is deceased and there is a cap on the number of constituents you can have in the database without having to pay more. The reporting pages are confusing and difficult to understand how to set up a goal and see our progress toward it. There are many things like this that we come across that are frustrating to us.

DT

Dana T.

Civic & Social Organization, 51-200 employees

Valuable and versatile database

I'm speaking to RE7, i.e. the database view specifically, which many nonprofits use exclusively but those who purchase the NXT bundle also have access to the full database view as well. I've been using RE7 for 12 years and overall I love it, especially in combination with the NXT web view.

Pros

There is so much you can do with Raiser's Edge, it's a robust and powerful tool. It works "out of the box" without need for programming or customization per se (other than settings and configuration etc.) so you don't need to be a coder to set up and use. I particularly love queries to pull together lists of donors who meet certain criteria, which can then be used for mailing lists, reports, exports, etc. The acknowledgement letters are incredibly valuable, allowing variable data and personalized language, e.g. when a gift is designated to a particular program we pull in a paragraph about that program without our gift entry staff having to do any manual or extra work.

Cons

Can be a bit clunky, and not always intuitive (NXT web view is a huge improvement in those areas). The reports aren't pretty (again NXT is astronomically better there) and sometimes there isn't a report that will work for our needs so I have to set up with queries and exports. There is almost always a way to do what I need to do, but I sometimes have to go through some complicated digital acrobatics to get there.

Jeffery C.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Powerful CRM that will meet your needs!

Pros

This is a powerful CRM service/software. We've expanded our utilization over the years, but I still know there are areas we don't even scratch the surface of when it comes to compiling information on donors and potential donors. A few years ago we made the leap to RE:NXT, placing our data in the cloud -- it's wonderful to be able to access data from wherever I am, whether I need a phone number or...

Cons

We've felt that there are a couple of things in the EVENTS module that we wish worked better for us/our organization, but that's a small hiccup when it comes to the functionality and quality of BB fundraising.

CF

Cain F.

Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees

Great Product, but Could be Overkill for Most Nonprofits

It's doubtful to me, especially after having worked with a few smaller nonprofits which have used Raisers Edge, that even the heaviest users in this arena are using even 50% of the product's out of the box functionality. So while I love the product, and especially love it because it integrates seamlessly with Financial Edge for the accounting reporting, smaller nonprofits are probably better served with something just as user-friendly but much cheaper for donations/events/membership management, like Avectra's Net Forum.

Pros

Blackbaud's Raisers Edge is great software for donations management, including special events and memberships. It's very easy to use, and very easy to get information from, whether through any of the many canned reports, or through queries and exports. Support is extra, but well worth the cost, at least in the initial years after set-up.

Cons

The cost - upwards for just the donations management - is considerable. And things like the Special Events module and Membership and Tributes and Memorials modules are not included in the base package. Like most other software, a lot of thought needs to happen when setting Raisers Edge up. But seriously for every con that I could list, the customer support that comes extra with the annual maintenance, if purchases, offsets the con with quick answers and fixes, so that even the most complicated thing in RE is easily addressed with a quick phone call to support.

sh

sheila h.

Higher Education, 11-50 employees

Pricey add-ons make this a better product

although it has improved things, our office has old practices that prohibit the use of NXT full potential. for the price, i think there should be regular one on one sessions and training, not just readings and webinars. blackbaud is always trying to sell things to make the use of their products more efficient but we already spend a lot of money

Pros

ease of use on the road. organized into easy to see tiles. ability to upload things by dragging. ability to get lists easily

Cons

inability to create most custom lists. would like lists to be provided by fund. would like all contact information to be able to be shown for donors in one line with name, ID, phone, email and exclusions. need to make very complex queries to accomplish and extract data from the database view. not user friendly for regular office employee. expensive program that our office does not even know how to fully use. would like more individualized training and support to learn all the aspects of what we pay for. however we have a database manager that does this but acts as a gatekeeper.

Meir B.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Good if you start with it, very difficult to transition into

Overall, since we transitioned from a very flexible database system, we eventually found that our data and needs for customization simply aren't supported by Raiser's Edge. Additionally, learning how to use the functions of Raiser's Edge if you don't already know can be very difficult, as customer support can be hard to get a hold of.

Pros

Records in Raiser's Edge are very stiff - as in very difficult to customize. This can be good if you are starting out in it, as you can set a standard of how to keep data, and it doesn't give employees the opportunity to create messy records. Adding information is simple and easy.

Cons

Many features of Raiser's edge can only be accessed in the Data base view, which is way less user friendly, and requires you to open a whole different software. For example, to you want to add a new kind of relationship? Need to go to Database view. Additionally, Records are so not customizable, that if you are moving data from a different system, you're data could easily look like a huge mess if you don't fit them exactly into Raiser's Edges categories.

LB

Lindsay B.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Raisers Edge - IF you are good to it, it will give you GOLD

Raiser's Edge is great for development departments of medium to large nonprofits, schools, etc, especially those with sophisticated fundraising programs. It may not be the best fit for small nonprofits with limited resources in the budget. The Raiser's Edge is an excellent software for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship and allows for easy tracking of each constituent's relationship with your...

Pros

Queries are what we use to create lists of constituents with particular behaviors or similarities that we can use for creating mailings, invitations or actions. An amazing tool with endless possibilities. Raisers Edge is a beast of a program. It can do just about anything you could want for a donor database and Blackbaud offers several supplemental solutions that seamlessly integrate. Donor stewardship, from first contact, to donation, to acknowledgement letter, is a process that is handled particularly well with Raisers Edge

Cons

The program is quite complicated and if data is not entered correctly than the program just won't work well. "bad in, bad out'. But that is not unique to this program. That some of the features that I like to use like global changes for adding appeals is pretty buried and the way of finding it convoluted. Attributes could be more flexible: like I would prefer to have all events under one table (which it can do now) but then there is no step further where I can then say whether they RSVP and then also whether they attended and their name for easy export for nametags.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Good and robust software!

Very good.

Pros

Integration with onsite systems made it easy to use.

Cons

Hard to train other users on how to use with our systems.

PS

Phyllis S.

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

Outstanding fundraising tool

Overall, Raiser's Edge is a helpful tool and provides the information which helps me do my job.

Pros

The ease of use which makes training co-workers much quicker and more easily understandable. The various modules make database management more effective (specifically EVENTS).

Cons

My biggest complaint with Blackbaud is customer service. Prior to the new procedures, I was able to call and speak to a human being and explain my issue. Currently, I can only get a CSR via CHAT, and that is only if someone is available at that time. Even during times where someone is supposed to be available, I frequently receive a message to try again later. When I CAN get a chat session, I find...

KS

Kayla S.

Hospital & Health Care,

Great Product with Room for Improvement

Pros

This is such a great tool to keep track of your constituents. Everything is organized, making it easy to find the information you need with little hassle. It was also relatively to learn how to use it. I had never heard of Raiser's Edge before beginning an internship during college, and without any experience outside of that using it, I was able to find a job where I spend all day using Raiser's Edge. Not being particularly computer-savy, it's almost unbelieveable to me how comfortable I feel using this product.

Cons

There always seems to be little kinks and bugs that make little to no sense, and many times even those at Blackbaud don't seem to know why. For example, I work a lot with tributes. Recently I discovered that when you are entering a gift and you have a tribute open, if you go into one of the tribute acknowledgee's records and then back out, RE will check off all of the acknowledgees to acknowledge even...

Amanda T.

Fund-Raising, 11-50 employees

Robust product that's still a work in progress

Raiser's Edge NXT has so much potential and is a worthwhile product as long as you have a team that's comfortable using both web and database view. As a non-profit CRM, it's still hard to beat - especially for organizations with a large donor base and fundraising capacity.

Pros

I love the user interface and the ability to "drag and drop" objects within constituent records to customize how I want to see information. The dashboard design is lovely and, after a bit of a learning curve, can be used to display some really helpful information for fundraisers.

Cons

This is not yet a completed product and shouldn't be used without the RE 7 database view. RE NXT has all the basic functionality needed for fundraisers to use exclusively, but not database admin staff. A lot of gift processing functionality, and even reporting fields, have not been moved over from RE 7. For any detailed reporting using OR or NOT, custom attributes, or gift amounts requires one to go back into database view to use queries/exports/canned reports.

JV

Jennifer V.

Higher Education, 11-50 employees

It Keeps Getting Better

Pros

We are a higher ed institution and we have moved from Banner to Raiser's Edge to NXT. What we saw right away was that NXT is very intuitive and easy to use. Our frontline gift officers love that they can use it on their phones, computers, tablets, and laptops, and that it's just a website away. Pulling lists is a lot easier and more accessible than the database query and the built-in mapping feature is widely used. It is a very clean and easy interface, which has made it a clear winner with our frontline staff.

Cons

Some very basic components are missing, which can be very frustrating. For instance, you can view an list of your Opportunities (Proposals) and a list of your Portfolio assignments, but not a list of them together. You also can't filter lists by looking for missing values (e.g., Prospect Status is blank), which creates some headaches. You very much have to adapt your processes to the database, rather than adapting the database to your processes. That can create some serious headaches during conversion, but overall it will save time.

JW

Jennifer W.

Civic & Social Organization, 201-500 employees

Incredibly disappointed

Pros

NXT is easier to use than the traditional, back end with Raisers Edge when viewing records and can be accessed on your phone.

Cons

The ease of use is still light years behind other cloud-based CRMs. You only have limited access to the data and many fields are blocked (meaning you can't make changes unless you go into the more complicated back end). The biggest problem we have had has been with online gifts. We purchased Everyday Hero (which is Blackbaud's online giving module), and every time a gift comes in by a spouse, it overrides...

Fund-Raising, 501-1,000 employees

Great Tool with Great Potential

Pros

The ease of use of the webview for frontline fundraisers is one of the best things for our team.

Cons

Response to customer service requests can be spotty, at best.

IT

Iris T.

Higher Education, 51-200 employees

It's a good fund raising product but it needs improvement

RE NXT meet the basic needs for fundraisers and administrators. But any complex queries, reports, import, integration with other system requires lots of 3rd parties tools to achieve.

Pros

Visuals is based on permission and search button on the top of the browser is useful. Tiles are collapsible and dashboard is easy to view. Comparing to the database view, opening a new browser tab is useful when doing some comparisons between screens. Data Health (Deceased/Email/Duplicate Finder) is a great feature in web view. We use it all the time. The availability of ResearchPoint on dashboard is great feature for prospect management team.

Cons

RE NXT is a web view that is not as fully integrated as the database view. List, import and reporting are not adequate as the database view. Although SKI API is available, not all of the data point in database is available.

JG

James G.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Robust donor management capabilities, but clunky legacy solution

The solution has served us well for many years, and the service from the sales and support teams has been one of the best parts of the relationship.

Pros

RaisersEdge 7 has tremendous capabilities - perhaps too many. Although an industry leader in market share, for a small organization, we don't use the majority of functions available. Service from our sales support contacts has been very good.

Cons

The overall solution is very clunky and difficult to use. While Blackbaud is in the (multi-year) process of migrating functions to their cloud NXT platform, this process is slow and leaves users straddled between an old clunky solution and the functions that have been migrated to their cloud platform. The solution is expensive compared to other simpler solutions that can be better suited to small organizations. The mobile app, while useful, is very limited in its capabilities and seems to be a v1 mobile app.

EZ

Eric Z.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

RE NXT is the Best for Educational Nonprofits!

Pros

I use both database view and NXT. I like the powerful queries and reports.

Cons

Sometimes a query can be difficult to run based on what has been entered in the database.