Bloomerang Logo

Bloomerang

Donor management software and database for nonprofits.

Bloomerang Reviews - Page 4

1,282 reviews

SF

Stephanie F.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 501-1,000 employees

Best Database for no-profit cultivation

Top notch from software, to pricing, to customer service. I've never seen a company so in tune to what their user wants and needs.

Pros

EVERYTHING!! I cannot say enough good about this product. The customer service is out of this world and I can ask a question via chat and have an answer immediately. THey are constantly gathering ideas for upgrades from users and rolling them out. It's extremely easy to use, compared to our old Raiser's Edge Software. The price is less than any other product we researched and they are always following up to ensure our happiness. The software caters to prospect cultivation and offers tons of preloaded reports or that. The ease of creating a report will leave you speechless.

Cons

I miss my batch feature, but they are working on creating that and should release it in the future. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues. I'm constantly referring and recommending this product and they reward you with each referral.

KB

Kristina B.

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

Great platform

We are a small shop and need to be able to minimize the time we spend managing the data side of the house so that we can be out meeting with our donors and focusing on donor acquisition. I feel like Bloomerang allows us to manage our data in a user friendly, functional way so that we can focus our time on raising money. My background is major gifts and I have limited technical skills with database management, but Bloomerang is so user friendly that I am able to pull reports, produce lists, upload data, process gifts and acknowledge gifts with ease so that I can focus on utilizing the MOVES management aspects of the database to move our donors through our donor pipeline.

Pros

I'm a development professional and my background is high level database work. In my new role I'm having to delve deeper into database management and I'm so happy we have Bloomerang. For the most part I can navigate and produce what I need on my own. However, when I get stuck the customer service of Bloomerang is beyond measure. They are always so friendly and kind, they listen to what I'm trying to do and understand my needs. They help walk me through how to do what I am trying to do, so I learn how to do it on my own moving forward. I honestly can't say enough about their customer support. They also have great (and very relevant) webinars.

Cons

The thing I struggle with the most is the usability of the letters and email functions. Formatting is tricky and there seems to be limitations to being able to move images around etc. It always ends up taking me longer to produce a letter or email than I anticipate because I have to play around with the formatting so much. This is the one part of the software that doesn't feel as user friendly.

Hi Kristina! I'm so happy you're happy with our Support team; they are the best! Check out this upgrade we made to our email editor - it now has drag-and-drop functionality: https://bloomerang.co/blog/feature-spotlight-an-upgrade-to-bloomerangs-built-in-email-marketing/

BC

Bryan C.

Civic & Social Organization, 11-50 employees

Fantastic support, easy to set up, easy to teach

Pros

Bloomerang is a breeze to navigate and search, with a detailed (but not overwhelming) summary view of each constituent, organization, and household in the database. When someone asks, "Who is this person?" I can tell them their top-line donation history, how we met, their capacity to give more, and who they're connected to, in less than a minute and with no effort at all. I can't overstate how intuitive...

Cons

Bloomerang is easy to use -- at the cost of being fully customizable. I am not a programmer, so this exchange works out mostly great for me and my team, but I can imagine a programmer growing frustrated by the constraints in place to keep the platform easy to use. Take one example: you can add multiple addresses (email or physical) for each constituent, but there is no "note" field for each address....

DH

Diane H.

Would recommend Bloomerang to ANYONE

We are in the midst of transitioning some of our processes so that we can really thrive, but I've been surprised that -- thanks to Bloomerang -- we have been able to survive with two less fundraising staff. (You might not want to tell your boss that part!) If you are working in the typical non-profit where you wear so many hats you can't count them all, I strongly recommend that you look into Bloomerang to help you be efficient and effective...and actually enjoy working with your fundraising system.

Pros

We're coming up on a year of using Bloomerang, and if it's possible, I love Bloomerang more every day. First, it's easy to use, and there are so many awesome "live" links and features--they've really designed the software to make fundraising work easier! It was designed by fundraising experts so "thinks" like a Development Director, and it helps our small staff spend our very limited time well. Second,...

Cons

To get the quality that I want when I change out our receipt text monthly, I have to work in the html code behind the letter merge function. That takes a little longer and is more tedious than I'd like, but even there, the system makes it much more simple than receipting in our previous software. I should also add that I wish I knew Bloomerang as well as I do now when we started conversion to it. We would have made better choices, but again, I can see how our conversion manager really worked behind the scenes to save us a lot of headaches!

AJ

Amanda J.

Philanthropy, 201-500 employees

Bloomerang (proceed with caution)

I think there were a few things in the demo process they could have shared with us, especially about the form.

Pros

This review comes from someone very new to Bloomerang, but not new to the implementation process of databases. This product is very intuitive and easy to use on the back end. It has some great features and I'm excited to fully implement it for our organization. There team has been great to respond to requests and they offer some excellent webinars and education for fundraisers.

Cons

This was not said at all in our demo process, and I failed to ask, so I wanted to share the information with those going through the selection process. They only have one donation form and it is not very pleasing to the eye. If you want to make any changes to it (font, setup, changing it to monthly only form) you must have experience with HTML code. Something I do not have experience doing. The best...

Hi Amanda, thanks for your feedback! We're always working on improving our online giving and email marketing features. We've recently released a MailChimp integration as well! https://bloomerang.co/blog/new-feature-bloomerang-mailchimp-integration/

Bloomerang Review

I work with several clients that use Bloomerang for their database. This software is very easy to use and very user friendly. They are very responsive when you have questions or are having issues using their software. I would highly recommend this database software to any organization. I have worked with two other database soft wares and Boomerang has been the best so far.

Pros

I switched to Bloomerang about two years ago and this has been a great change. Their customer service and help center is very easy to navigate and a representative responds to your questions within seconds. From step by step instructions on how to pull reports, trouble shooting problems, helping with deleting and importing new constituents, any issues or questions you have they have answer for you...

Cons

What I like least about this software is that it does not auto populate the city and state when you put in the zip code for a constituents account. This is a feature that I was use to using with other software. This was a helpful feature to have that made data entry easier. I am also not in love with their acknowledgment generator because you can not edit individual letters once they are merged into the Bloomerang template. This is a feature I would like to see, because many of the clients I work with like to add a personal touch to each acknowledgment. We are not able to use Bloomerang for this process because to edit each individual letter we would have to generate acknowledgments one by one, not in bulk, which is very inconvenient and time consuming.

Nic M.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

For organizations small and large, Bloomerang is good fit.

Our organization moved from Raiser's Edge to Bloomerang just over a year ago. If you are familiar with Raiser's Edge, you likely understand that this is a massive transition to undertake both technologically and fundamentally--but I'm glad we did. We moved away from Raiser's Edge because we needed software that was powerful yet highly intuitive and didn't ship with a price tag that is difficult to...

Pros

Greater than the Bloomerang CRM itself is the company's incredible support team that is not only quick to respond and meaningfully engage, but does so humanely. Too many vendors staff their support teams with specialists who are technically proficient, but lack the ability to translate their knowledge into kind and understanding support. Without this type of support, clients like me would be left frustrated,...

Cons

There are a lot of strategic opportunities for the Bloomerang team to take advantage of as they continue to grow as a company, and an area where I'd like to see growth is with third-party integrations. There is currently a MailChimp integration in the pipeline, but I'd also love to see the door open to platform access through API integration services such as Zapier, which would allow customers like me to easily and securely connect Bloomerang to other key software in use within our department and organization.

Nic, you rock! Good news: we now have a Zapier and Mailchimp integration! https://bloomerang.co/features/integrations/

MW

Melinda W.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

Got out of hostage situation

Pros

I came into a new position and when the company mentioned their donor database it was like they were caught up in a hostage situation. They were stuck in an expensive contract with something they barely knew how to work with. A key component of my hire was that I knew how to work with this big, aggressive, expensive system. What a backward way to think! I had always heard of Bloomerang thanks to their presence at conferences, webinars, and experts. To move to a simpler system meant more people could use this tool. So what do I like best? Bloomerang became an effective tool so that more than one person could use the system. Increased functionality meant we could accept online donations and training people became a cinch.

Cons

Bloomerang is an excellent tool and I can't see any areas for improvement. One feature several users including myself have requested is currently in development. So Bloomerang listens to their users to offer solutions and keep the platform moving forward. They are patching the holes in the roof and doing the maintenance needed- not making you buy a whole new house to get upgrades.

FE

Fernette E.

Civic & Social Organization,

Limited Options and Poor Customer Support

Pros

We sought this vendor because of its simple platform and reduced cost.

Cons

There are so many negative experiences, it's hard to identify what I liked least. 1. Revolving door customer support. Sales was very attentive, but after we purchased, we had difficulty getting ahold of our customer support. At one point she said she only worked 2 days a week, and then she called from a noisy street. Customer support didn't know about integrations with other products or setting...

Hello, Software Advice community! I'd like to address you, the reader of this review, directly rather than the author, whose review is largely punitive rather than constructive. Bloomerang absolutely stands by its product, which is why we did not allow this customer to break their signed agreement. We did, however, offer to pay for their third year in full. You can see from the feedback on this...

DG

Dorothy G.

Fund-Raising, 11-50 employees

Bloomerang for Small Shops

In a word, great. We really appreciate their graduated approach for pricing. They have a set rate for certain number of records and don't raise the price until the organization increases its donor numbers, thus same price until organization is better able to pay for increased services. They seem to be open to customer feedback about additional features that would improve the product as they do make upgrades.

Pros

Moving from FileMaker Pro to Bloomerang.

Cons

We just figured out that their server can't handle a HUGE increase in users as what we experienced with Giving Tuesday related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Thanks, Dorothy! We love product/feature feedback, so keep it coming! Since Giving Tuesday, we've beefed up our servers. Would you believe we had 10x the usage as we did the last GT? We're covered for that now, and more!

LG

Linda G.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Nice features, but integration with Salesforce was very difficult

Bloomerang makes it possible for us to keep up with our donations and track our communication with donors which is a huge plus. It's easy to run reports and get accurate information to use in writing appeals and impact reports.

Pros

Once we got it set up, Bloomerang is easy to use and makes it easy to keep up with our donations and donors. The Dashboard feature is helpful because it shows our retention rate and new donors immediately.

Cons

The integration process was a nightmare. We had been using Quickbooks and Salesforce. When they were combined we ended up with thousands of duplicate constituents. Bloomerang was not able to filter those effectively for us, and we spent weeks going through thousands and thousands of accounts to clean up our data. We really didn't feel we got the support we needed during the integration process. There...

AG

Annah Grace M.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Bloomerang is an inutitive and user-friendly game changer!

My organization was looking to make the switch from Excel spreadsheets to a true donor database. After I was immediately impressed with Bloomerang’s focus on donor retention and all the ways it could help my organization. Bloomerang has been a game changer for my team by providing key metrics in donor engagement, donor capacity and donor retention. It has helped keep us organized and get our fundraising...

Pros

I love the donor-centered nature of Bloomerang and how it focuses on donor engagement. It is customizable, easy-to-use and super intuitive. I am able to easily egment communication to donors and reach them with specific messaging they need to hear. I also love that Bloomerang is constantly improving and has great support. I sincerely appreciate Bloomerang’s knowledgeable support staff and their willingness to take customer feedback seriously. The product team continually makes updates and improvements to Bloomerang based on our suggestions.

Cons

It doesn't yet interface with a mass texting or text-to-give software, but I have no doubt that it probably will soon. It is ALWAYS improving!

AO

Ashley O.

Bloomerang for a small 2 person office

We use Bloomerang as CRM and Donor Database, we use the enewsletter functions, online forms.

Pros

User friendly for non database experts, easy reporting, easy production of thank you letters etc.

Cons

I am pleased. I am sure I don't use it to full capacity. I need to learn more about if there is any easy way to do ticketing. I have used Eventbrite for ticketing as their process is easier. I have used Give Lively for Peer to Peer fundraising. So there is room to add additional features to Bloomerang.

EM

Erika M.

Individual & Family Services, 1-10 employees

Great Product for a Small Business

We have had great success with Bloomerang. It has allowed us to become more independent in our finances and really get the information that we need, when we need it. This is invaluable to us, as we have a lot of volunteers that do things for us. We love our volunteers, but still have a business to run and when we have a need, we need to get it figured out quickly.

Pros

The software is easy to use, even for entry-level staff with little computer background. I have a few staff that use it to record donations, and it is very easy to show them how it works and what to do. It is also internet-based, so that we can access it from anywhere. It does everything that we need it to, though we are still learning some of the more challenging things like labels, year-end letters, e-mails, etc. The program keeps great records and we can print reports based on whether the information is a transaction or a person. We can also pull information from specific events, campaigns, etc to let us know how much we actually raised from that time period. That helps us budget for the next fiscal year and set goals for future campaigns. That is very helpful.

Cons

The software can get very complicated when you start getting into filters. I have yet to figure out how to to get the date the funds were given to us on their thank you letter, instead of the date that I am putting the funds in. Labels are very difficult and at times the reports don't include all the information that we are looking for, and I have to run multiple reports that we add together. I would also like to have a client database attached to it, so that we can run all our programs from one program.

WS

Whitney S.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Bloomerang Software Review

I think Bloomerang is the best mid-tear CRM there is. If you are looking for a data management software that doesn't break the bank and does things you need it to do, then Bloomerang is it. I have actually recommended Bloomerang to other colleges.

Pros

It does everything you need it too, for a fraction of what Gift Works cost. I keep all our donor information in the system, run monthly reports using that information, and everything in between. The new feature that we just started using is the "Automatic Acknowledgment Letter" function. We have our standard thank you letter that we inputted in the system, and it will come up when you enter in a donor gift with that donor's information already added to the sections you need it. Then you can choose to edit the letter to make it more personal for the donor. Then we print it right off and it is ready to go. Super simple, and saves us so much time!

Cons

At times, you may feel overwhelmed at all the things Bloomerang can do for your non-profit. When I first started working within Bloomerang, it seem a little complicated, but that is where their customer service steps in. If you have ANY question about the program, they give you a number that you can call any time and they will walk you though what you need step by step. I have called the number multiple times, and every time they were able to help me verbally and give me the written directions as well so I can have them if I ever have the problem again. Honestly, I have a "Bloomerang Binder" full of these helpful directions.

AC

Ashley C.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Highly impressed

Pros

Bloomerang has been the best investment for our donor management. It is simple to use, yet its powerful enough to handle all of the high-capacity functions that we need as a non-profit. The reporting feature is the most user-friendly that I have ever used!

Cons

There have been times when I wished it had a certain feature (like payment processing). But then, it shows up!

SF

Sue F.

Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees

Bloomerang

Great experience with their staff. Complex conversion and they stuck with us until it worked. Forms, letters, and emails nicely automated now. Good first screen summary when logging on. They are continually improving product.

Pros

Clean and easy to use. Letters and emails simple to set up. Filters can get as complex as needed. Can combine data for a household. Good youtube webinars. Excellent help and online support.

Cons

Online forms not as flexible for different platforms (phone, tablet, pc). Tables in letters need more flexibility (different titles, length).

Thank you Sue! Since Bloomerang acquired Kindful earlier this year, we have drastically upgraded our online giving tools, as well as added new functionality like peer-to-peer! You can check them out here: https://bloomerang.co/features/online-giving-tools/

KM

Katie M.

Bloomerang User for Two Years

Pros

The customer support is top notch. I get my questions answered almost immediately. I like the simplicity of the database and the ease of it all.

Cons

Two of the biggest things I didn't realize until using it - you can't add more than one tribute per gift without "splitting" the gift payment. I'd like to be able to add as many tributes as needed. It would also be helpful to export the acknowledgement letters in a Word document not just a PDF incase edits need to be made.

JP

Janice P.

Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 employees

Bloomerang is great!

We are able to keep better track of our donors using this software. We have had a positive experience with Bloomerang and have already recommended it to others! I have been in my position 24 years and have gone through many different types of software and by far, this one is the BEST!

Pros

The software is easy to learn and use. Training on the product was thorough. Customer support has been helpful when it is needed. You can tell Bloomerang wants the user to be happy!

Cons

There isn't really anything I don't like. Just a little inconvenience on the input side...when adding a new donor with a spouse, you have to set up two accounts, join them together as a family. Too many steps! It isn't a deal breaker though!

TH

Trey H.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Great product for a growing organization

Bloomerang assists me to be a better fundraiser. Daily I am looking at who has donated and Bloomerang helps me customize the way in which i communicate with various constituents.

Pros

Bloomerang is easy to use. In a small organization, where one or two people are using Bloomerang, it's the perfect fit. Customer service and new integrations are also superb. It's a software that can grow with you organization.

Cons

At times, filtering can be an issue. Often time I have to freshen up my memory of how to drill down to get the information I am trying to assimilate.

Thanks, Trey!

GM

Glenda M.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 501-1,000 employees

Look no Further!

We are beyond pleased. I couldn't have asked for a more user friendly program and a better customer service team. Kudos to everyone at Bloomerang! I tell everyone I know about their product and highly reccomend them!!

Pros

That they are ever changing and evolving to meet the needs of their customers. They listen to what their users have to say and they find a way to implement the ideas. I haven't ever used a program that has this feature. They genuinely care about their users and consistantly reach out to ensure they are still pleased with the program and the service received. That goes a long way!

Cons

Overall the software is great, but there are a few features that aren't available to pull specific reports that we had pulled and provided to donors for years--like the ability to pull a report that list donors and sort them by they're consistant year's of giving. I have requested this feature and, considering they have rolled out a few of my, it wouldn't surprise me if this was accessible down the road.

MC

Mitchell C.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

Robust & Well-Supported Platform

Overall we have had a positive first year in Bloomerang. We have seen an increase in our giving without stretching our organization's human resources.

Pros

Our organization is very small, and Bloomerang gives us tools to automate some of our key processes to provide donors with an easy platform for contributions and efficient acknowledgement of gifts.

Cons

Would love more design features for giving forms and communications. Bloomerang works well with other platforms, but for the investment we would like more built-in features.

MB

Megan B.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Finally a donor management built for small nonprofits!

I used another donor management system that was NOT built for nonprofits - and certainly not for small nonprofits - for years. It was a pain and rarely were we able to extract useful, reliable information from it because of all the various service packages and layers added over the years by different administrators! Bloomerang is so simple to use, and the information we extract from Bloomerang is accurate and useful.

Pros

I absolutely love how easy it is to customize Bloomerang to fit our needs. There aren't a million different products and service packages that you have to juggle to use your donor data. Reports are super easy to build. Donor acknowledgement is really as easy as a push of the a button!

Cons

We do have some issues with formatting emails and letters that we're working through. I also don't like that you cannot apparently schedule reminder emails for tasks or assign multiple responsible parties for tasks.

CJ

Cindy J.

Fund-Raising, 1-10 employees

Bloomerang Evaluation

Pros

Bloomerang offers a great deal of features and is easily customizable. The customer service experience has been outstanding. I started my job a few days prior to the pandemic closing everything down. The online team was amazing at helping me run vital reports, especially the first three months. They are incredible and I am so appreciative of their patience and assistance.

Cons

Reporting in Bloomerang is complex, with the number of filters and varying functionality. Therefore, the learning curve is steep to understand the way all the filters work. Previously, I mentioned our issue with soft credit reporting. Bloomerang needs to develop a screen checkbox option with three choices when entering a donation: Report on soft credit donor, report on hard credit donor, or report...

KF

Kathy F.

Fr. Champlin's Guardian Angel Society

We are still learning a lot and experimenting. Overall, our experience has been positive.

Pros

The ease of use. As our office staff has grown, it has given us the ability to access our database remotely and without slow response. Producing an individual acknowledgement letter works great.

Cons

Reporting is not easy to do. Need more options to manipulate the report for our specific needs. Also group merging of letters misses people.