All categories
Kindful

Fundraising & donor management platform for nonprofits.

visit website

Kindful Reviews

Patrick P.

Gail T.

Cons

Attempting to prepare and issue "tax receipts" for ALL donors - has been extremely difficult and frustrating.

Jim M.

Very rarely and only early on, we had trouble linking some of our previous software programs with Kindful.

Michael H.

Lack of ability to setup and link different paypal / payment accounts to each of the different campaigns. Awkward interactions when you are both an admin and a donor.

Jeremy H.

Great for a mid sized non-profit and amazing customer service

Overall, I love the ease of use of the software. My team isn't intimidated by it and are able to get on and navigate it well. Usually, if there is something that isn't easily available, the Kindful team will find a work around for the problem.

Pros

I love the ease of use of this software. And when I don't know how to do something, their customer service team is always available to talk and will figure it out. Kindful's customer service is beyond anything I have ever experienced.

Cons

There are a couple of features that I think should be available but are not. However, I have found that no software has it all.

No regrets switching over to team Kindful!

Very glad we found Kindful. We have had tremendous support. Response times are consistently timely. Appreciate the opportunity to access trainings and webinars quite regularly. I feel that this program is one we can grow with. Kindful gives us access to data in a simplified format to easily view and share. Looking forward to what is next with Kindful.

Pros

Affordable, user friendly for us and our donors. Really appreciate that it allows our donors access to their own accounts. Compatible with multiple other apps/tools - and constantly expanding the list.

Cons

More access to some of the data. Appreciate that their are some information/options but they are only for viewing and not reporting. There are some aspects that are specific to our needs so understand how some requests aren't common enough to justify a change. There are times when there are asks and I will get a very vague answer - this is where a user group could be very beneficial. Those of...

Valuable for small to mid-size nonprofits

Pros

Kindful's best features are by far its user-friendly interface and their excellent support service. Their support team is always super helpful and quick to respond. The new chat feature is a great addition to an already great system.

Cons

While it covers most of the bases, it is lacking some of the robustness you would get from something like the Blackbaud suite. While they do offer things like event registrations, they are very limited in scope and capabilities.

Strong for "Cash" Transactions - NOT so Strong for "Non-Cash" Donations

Currently, our overall experience is rough to say the least - particularly with "non-cash" approach/needs. They have made the "non-cash" part of this software so cumbersome that it truly has become a "time waster" and not efficient for us. Their team has certainly attempted to be helpful - but most times it's merely referencing "blog" articles, link, etc... (which I've typically done BEFORE ever reaching out to the support team). And, suggestions don't really appear to be taken seriously - since no one follows-up with those, nor do they indicate any changes for upgrading and/or making significant changes based on suggestions.

Pros

Ease of use is fine for "cash, checks, credit card, etc." transactions - but NOT for "non-cash" donations. Monthly subscription and pricing. I also really like the "interface" and virtual/multiple access for our entire staff/team. The "dashboards" nice - but missing a lot of detail - especially for "non-cash." I do like the "help" section which is part of the dashboard - which allows you to also ask direct questions and provide a related URL. Integration is nice - but even then the vendors have issues related in how they actually integrate with Kindful proper - adding more work in the end (ex: ClickBid).

Cons

Kindful's treatment of "Non-Cash" donations is so far removed from the way "cash, checks, credit card, etc" transactions are handled - it simply works against us and makes to many "hoops" to jump thru in attempting to manage data for "non-cash" donors. Especially, since 85% of all our donations are "non-cash." If you have a lot of "non-cash" donations - this is probably not the best choice for you...

A Blessing!

The integration with Classy, QuickBooks, and MailChimp has been life-changing and has definitely increased productivity. We paid for the additional support feature and that has been super helpful; allowing us time to gather questions and then meet every two weeks with our customer lead to discuss and troubleshoot.

Pros

The all-in-one feature and how user-friendly the software is. Did I mention the integration was simple and overnight?

Cons

The MailChimp tagging and integration is something to get used to but the support has been helpful.

Valuable Insights into Donor Care

Overall, I am happy with Kindful and the tools it provides my organization. It easy to use and my staff is not overwhelmed with using it. Their support team is top-notch and always able to help walk me through fixing an issue or answering a question.

Pros

I value our donors and I want to know how best to care for them and followup. I like the ease of use in creating new transactions and the automated reports. I like the reporting capabilities and ease of getting the data I need to manage our organization. I like that my staff finds it easy to use.

Cons

Entering a single new donor from a check takes additional steps to create the donor, then create the transaction. There is a batch tool that makes this process easier if entering multiple donations. There are some issues with reporting that make it difficult to pull everything I need. Most of these are one-off issues, but still important. I have not found the peer-to-peer tool easy enough to use where I feel confident that my donors would use it. I had to create a pdf to give to them to walk them through all the steps. I wish it had email and text message marketing built-in.

Finally, a CRM for a small non-profit

The onboarding process went well, having a dedicated agent was great. The dedicated support is great--just remember it's business hours only. The records are being kept, I'm handling fewer checks, I can record checks into the system and at the end of the year there will be complete records that will greatly simplify the organization's tax return preparation.

Pros

I like that it allows you to combine duplicate records for people easily. It does a great job of tracking income. It is so powerful on details it's going to take a while to get fully up to speed--you want this. I like that it's easy to embed links to different payments records to aid with bookkeeping.

Cons

There is so much to it that using logic in its search tool is necessary. I think a little bit more of it could be assumptive. I wish there was a prompt at log in that there are pending duplicate records to check. It's challenging to set it up for a membership organization with multiple dues levels and different types of memberships, but we figured it out. I still have a ton to learn. It wasn't made clear that when I tied Kindful to Constant Contact that all the fields I had purged from the imported spreadsheets would get pulled back in. I will have to spend a lot of time going back in to clean that up.

Kindful: Simple for somethings, but not very flexible

In general it has been good in that it enabled us to take payments from donors and recurring payments and ACH payments. But I feel that we are struggling to get it working the way it should or to fully meet our needs.

Pros

I really like the fact that Kindful has a clean interface and makes certain things really simple: e.g. running a campaign, accepting donations online, setting up automatic emails to thank people, etc.

Cons

Somethings just seem much harder than they should be. e.g. (1) designing reports to work the way you want them to. In most cases you have to export it to Excel and muck around with it there - even things like column ordering is non definable. (2) Integration with Mailchimp for instance works, as long as you do it exactly as they want. For instance, Mailchimp sets users Country to "United States",...

Customer Service and Powerful Updates make this an excellent CRM

We use Kindful for all our donor, sponsor and grant tracking. It has all the features of any of the competitors and has an aesthetically pleasing, easy to use interface. I love the follow up tasks option, which helps for good donors stewardship. It also recently has a Wealth Data option integrated into the software. We don't pay for the extra, but event with our minimal plan, we get a little information. It's been great for a smooth transition in staff, since it's easy to see donor giving history, relationships with other people/org, as well as contact histroy.

Pros

The customer service is INSANE. It's timely and they will work with you until theyu find a solution. Even more, many issues I've had have been resolved when they do updates. They really listen to their customers and take their feedback into mind when doing updates.

Cons

There are very limited options for customizing mail. It's a great option to be able to automatically send tax receipts, but I wish we could upload a custom header. You can upload your logo, but it appears small on the pdf.

Good service

The people at Kindful have been exceptionally nice and helpful.

Pros

Easier to use than eTapestry, and fairly easy to learn.

Cons

Some of the online help articles are not very helpful or clear.

Love Kindful!

Awesome. Best of the best.

Pros

It’s the Goldilocks of CRMs. Not too big and not too small. Support is amazing and to me, that’s the clincher. So many companies tell you how good they are until you purchase and then they disappear. Kindful has always been great. All of these systems are complex and require training of users as well as setup and maintenance, but Kindful makes it as painless as possible.

Cons

I wish that there was a better way to test what recipients receive as acknowledgements. I feel like I could use them more often but I never feel 100% sure that I have it quite right.

A Great Gift for a Growing Non-profit

Our donor retention has increased, our organization and capacity for communication has more than double. We love Kindful!

Pros

When we decided to implement Kindful as our donor management and CRM software, we didn't realize the gift that we were giving ourselves as an organization. Kindful has allowed us to grow and scale in a way that wasn't possible before implementation. It has given us insight and helped us with donor retention. It has reduced our workload and made growth possible.

Cons

It's such a powerful tool that it can be difficult to learn sometimes; however, compared to other tools out there, it's a beautiful interface with a much shorter learning curve.

I use Kindful for our non-profit accounting and donor management (CRM)

Pros

Kindful is designed to be part of - not the whole of - a CRM/fund accounting strategy. The upside of this is that you are not pigeonholed into one system forever - it is designed to play nicely with other programs/systems. Once you go through the learning curve, the program is straightforward and easy to use. Customer support is fantastic for questions. I have to manually enter quite a few...

Cons

Not the most intuitive layout, so takes some time getting used to, but once you do it is a very powerful tool. Looks good on a desktop, but not on iphone display. Integration with quickbooks is my main goal and is not perfect - numbers sync fine but sometimes followup is necessary to make sure the accounts/funds are credited properly. Would love to see an integration with campaign monitor for emails and a better to-do/task sharing interface (like basecamp).

Hey David, Thanks a million for the positive review! We're extremely grateful for the overwhelmingly positive comments you have about Kindful. Our main focus is being a platform that can connect to the services you need ¿ so it's a huge pat on our back to hear that you're able to use the QuickBooks and Zapier integrations to improve your accounting and database management. We also appreciate...

Kindful has radically improved KBFPC's donor management

Pros

Customer service is outstanding - I can often find my answers in the help menu, but when I don't the email response is almost immediate and very thoughtful & thorough. There is little that I dislike about Kindful. Support during start up was personalized and authentically interested in what my needs and questions were, I didn't ever feel that I was being pitched to. It is quick and easy to set...

Cons

Pros FAR outweigh the cons! Some of the features are not completely intuitive, especially the naming and categorization of them. Sometimes I have to click on several tabs to find the feature I was looking for. Some of the "field" names do not function as I expect them to - but customer support assisted me in writing a query to fix them all at once. (it was not too problematic) I don't love the formatting for snailmailers and acknowledgements - but I haven't spent a whole lot of time trying to tweak them. I print envelopes from Kindful, and export the list of acknowledgements and mail-merge that data into a document I prepared in Microsoft Office; again, not a big deal, but I had to figure out this work-around.

Hi, Catriona! Thanks for writing such a glimmering review. It really brings us joy to see how much you've been able to benefit from Kindful's features. It sounds like your setup was really straightforward, you've had good experience with processing payments, adding contacts, and reporting, you feel good about the price, and all your needs have been answered by our support team. We are incredibly...

We use it daily and it is very user friendly. Even those of us who aren't tech-savvy can 'get it'.

More streamlined than our previous interface, more user friendly.

Pros

I like the way everything is organized, Dashboard/Activities/Contacts... I like how reports can be automatic from the system straight to my email, daily. I like that once the credit card/ACH info is entered, we don't actually have access to those numbers, and helps with PCI compliance. When there is an issue, we email support and they respond promptly, within 24 hours, and are very friendly and very helpful. I love the size of Kindful, because I feel like they still take input from clients to improve their systems.

Cons

When a donor makes a donation and pays for the transaction fee, you have to go in manually and split the transaction fee from the donation. On days that we have recurring transactions come out, it takes us an incredible amount of time for us to find and go through all the transactions to manually split the transaction fees from the donation itself. That is very time consuming. I personally call donors...

Hi, Brittany! Thanks for such a great review. It sounds like you're getting a ton out of the software, and that really excites and energizes us. We love seeing our customers succeed! I really appreciate what you had to say about the size of Kindful. We really want to be personable with our customers (which includes receiving and responding to feedback!), and it sounds like you've had that experience....

Kindful is very user-friendly for a small, non-profit, non-technical staff.

Donor management and integration with other online tools is key for non-profit success. The support team is excellent in not only telling you what to do but explaining how it works within the system.

Pros

The software is designed to serve the needs of non-profits. It has been developed to balance the needs of the daily user and the required reporting for a growing organization. The support team is extremely helpful and responsive. For the most part the functionality is very user-friendly and user training can be done in a short time.

Cons

There is a gap in the donor management process. There is no automated process to move a contact through the Donor cycle which means manual updating through custom fields. The video instructions are good for explaining the benefits of specific features but they don't explain how to perform the tasks/process to get to the results promises.

Hi, Karen! Thanks for writing a positive review! It thrills us that you've been able to take advantage of user-friendliness, and, in cases where you've needed help, have found it in our support team. We know not everything is perfectly intuitive, so it makes us happy to hear that when you've needed help, you've gotten it. Your feedback about the donor cycle management is great. We preach the...

Kindful has grown with us. This is huge for us, and they helped us get to the next level.

I've already recommended this software to many people. It is really easy to recommend to small organizations who are going from nothing to "online." However, there needs to be more development and automation with email marketing, in order for me to recommend this product for an already established (still smaller) organization. As a 1.2 M organization, we are ready for our next growth spurt.

Pros

The user experience is wonderful. From good colors and layouts to ease of use, we have been able to use Kindful to get organized on the backend and jump-start our fundraising.

Cons

The capabilities with email marketing and automation within groups, causes, campaigns, or forms have been a bit difficult for us. There are work-arounds, but we are hoping for more growth and potential in these areas.

Hi Jordan, Thanks for writing such a great review! We pride ourselves in growing with our customers, so to hear that back from you is a huge pat on the back over here. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Kindful's interface and data management tools. Hopefully better organization is helping you segment and interact with donors on a deeper level. Your feedback about email marketing and automation...

Mid-sized nonprofit with donor management needs

Love the user friendly-ness of the software, especially for our donors. It is great for capturing info but we need to be able to sort and filter the info better.

Pros

Allows donors to designate their donations

Cons

We have some needs that Kindful does not provide: -Ability to log calls within a donor's profile -Table Within Contact with custom columns -Auto-sync emails with donor’s profile -Improve the note taking feature -Individualized dashboard that shows the tasks and call history for the admin logged in. -The ability to search donor profiles based on amounts they donated to specific programs/campaigns -Be...

It's Worth A Look!

If you are looking for donor software that is user friendly, a good price, and meets your needs, then I highly suggest you give Kindful a look.

Pros

I didn't know much about donor software when I started so I began researching multiple options. As a nonprofit, I was looking for something that would meet my needs without breaking the bank. What I liked about Kindful was that it offered most of the same features as other software programs at a great price. For options that are not included, Kindful partners with other agencies so you actually get...

Cons

I was skeptical about Kindful not including every possible feature within it's software. However, other software that does is double or triple the cost if not more. You also may be paying for things you don't need so I actually like this option a lot more than I thought I would. So far, Kindful meets all of my needs.

A step forward

To date, it has been a positive experience from data entry to reporting. I hope, with the recent hire of an administrative manager, that we will make better use of the software.

Pros

After one year of using another product, I requested that my team member investigate other options. After reviewing several options, Kindful seemed to match the needs we had and addressed the paths that we hoped to go. We are still in the learning curve of the many features, but the software has been very helpful in achieving what we need.

Cons

I have not had too many negative experiences with the software. I wish there was a way to print the dashboard for overview reports for my board. If there is a way I would like to learn it.

Great if you're flexible.

Overall, it gives us a lot of functionality especially for the price as compared to our former software, but at times gets a bit frustrating and/or time consuming. The service team is very helpful and on-going updates continue to improve the software and the software apps that can be used with Kindful.

Pros

Kindful is easy to use especially after the latest redo of the menu options. It's fun to use and I love having it sync with our donation page and being able to do special things like peer to peer fundraising and syncing to CrowdRise when we have special campaigns. It's great for automatic receipting and keeping an annual summary available to donors. Donors also an login to their account and do updates which really is a time saver for me - I do fewer updates on expired credit cards and address changes for example. The people who work for Kindful are very professional, friendly and helpful.

Cons

At times we get a little frustrated trying to figure out how to pull certain reports and often I run a report and then edit it in Excel. There's not a lot of flexibility as to how the report is printed. Also finding the group we want is sometimes difficult in the software - again, I may get it to a point and then manipulate the report in Excel. Some tasks in Kindful seem to take more steps than I'd prefer - somethings can be bulk updated but not all things for example.

Kindful has saved my life (only partially kidding)

The customer service is fantastic - every person is helpful and kind and I can get someone on the phone. An actual PERSON. Our data migration was handled beautifully. There is so much training I wish I had time to take advantage of.

Pros

This program is so intuitive and well designed it just blows my mind. I'm still learning the ropes but every time I think "Hm I wonder if I can do ...." I realize that Kindful either automatically does that thing or makes it incredibly easy to do. Tasks that used to take me 20 minutes are now literally done automatically. It has a great "brain" that seems to sense what I need and how to deliver it to me quickly. The user interface is also beautiful, which is super important to me.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is that it does not make it easy to work with couples as a contact. (So Mr. and Mrs. Jones vs. Mr. Jones.) You can convert them to an organization vs and individual, so it's a minor quibble. I also wish that you could use and add more images on the templates.

Right product for our needs and budget

The organization is responsive to my questions and needs. I have seen changes to the software since we purchased that have directly addressed my or other users' issues.

Pros

Basic functions are easily taught, yet it has a robust reporting structure that is anything but basic. I can train others to do data entry as we get new donors and donations so they can gain confidence using the system quickly. Then I can show them other features as they are ready to learn more.

Cons

We are a membership organization and the software really isn't designed to manage memberships. They were upfront about this and give suggestions for addressing our needs and it is working for us.

Kindful continues to grow

We needed a place to both store historical donor data as well as organize a capital campaign as well as a sustaining campaign.

Pros

Ease of setup and use Capture of information from Paypal Automated tax receipts and easy end of year tax documents

Cons

Lack of ability to setup and link different paypal / payment accounts to each of the different campaigns Awkward interactions when you are both an admin and a donor Limited customization of public facing donation pages.

Very easy to use

Kindful is a wonderful software, with a really strong customer service team. I have used a number of platforms over the years and I find Kindful to be my favorite. I have never used a "perfect" CRM and we know that there isn’t such a thing, so if you can't have perfect its really nice to have good, with great customer service.

Pros

- It's very user-friendly - It works with most of the other software we use (Mailchimp, Eventbrite, Quickbooks, Zapier...) - Kindful has the very best customer service

Cons

- It's "dashboard" doesn't report accurately, you have to create custom reports to get some of the actual data they advertise. The most frustrating dashboard number they display that isn't accurate is there "Retention Rate" number. Rather than showing donor retention, it shows activity retention, meaning that if someone came to a free event one time and doesn't end up giving a donation within a year it shows it as a drop in your retention. - The duplicate finder isn't very strong, and takes a lot of manual work. We have to call kindful every few months to ask them to reset the duplicate finder so that it will work again. - The "Fundraising" tools aren't very robust.