Planning Center Logo

Planning Center

Church management software with Mailchimp integration

Planning Center Reviews - Page 2

1,087 reviews

AS

Anne Sofie E.

Market Research, 201-500 employees

An Easy-to-Use Event Management Tool

Overall, Planning Center has been a great tool for managing events. It is comprehensive, user-friendly, and makes event planning and management easy and efficient. I would highly recommend Planning Center to anyone looking for an easy-to-use event management tool.

Pros

Planning Center is a great event management tool. It has a comprehensive suite of features that make it easy to plan and manage events. The user interface is intuitive and user-friendly, making it simple to navigate and use. The calendar feature makes it easy to keep track of all events, and the ability to manage multiple venues and events simultaneously is a great time-saver.

Cons

The only downside to Planning Center is that it is somewhat expensive compared to some of its competitors. Additionally, the customer service could use some improvement in terms of responsiveness and helpfulness.

Thanks for your kind words, Anne! You mentioned your customer support needing improvement. We are eager to know more about how we can improve the customer support experience. Send us a message with your feedback and suggestions. Thank you!

TM

Tania M.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Customizable packages - value for money

Overall this is a great program, a great way to keep everything in one place and keep all databases accurate. It helps keep our small groups organized, our calendar organized, and is great for registrations.We track giving and use it for receipts and it has worked nicely for that as well, and takes into account CDN giving rules/laws.

Pros

I love that you can customize which modules you need. You can try a module for 30 days, you don't pay for large usage unless you need it. They give a grace period, where you can get the small package but if you use it more for one month, you don't have to upgrade. It keeps donor management and people database in the same place, so if someone changes their address, it is changed across all modules.

Cons

Reports seem to be difficult to generate accurate results. For example, if you want to generate a report that includes everyone who gave any amount in the past year and attended an event or volunteered. We have tried this report and didn't get back proper results when run by someone other than the giving users. They don't need to know specifics on giving but should be able to add that as a criteria. Also, if someone accidentally deletes a user then there is no way to get them back even if they had giving. There should be a safeguard in place so that only giving users can delete a profile that has giving.I don't like that you cannot use VISA/MC debit for paying,

Thanks for your kind words, Tania! You mentioned having a bit of trouble with List rules in People. A People Admin that is not a Giving Admin cannot access Giving list conditions. This is a guardrail and privacy structure we created intentionally. Only a Giving Admin can run a list to return that info. Also, if you delete a user, we still keep the records of these donations that can be reassigned to the donor's correct profile or if you need to recreate the profile. Lastly, there are different regulations in Canada that are above our control as far as what cards are allowed but we will submit this as a Feature request. Our Support Team is an excellent resource for help in that area. Hit the '?' icon in the upper-right of the screen when you are looking at your List. Thanks again!

JV

Jennifer V.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Planning Center is an all in one software that makes management easier.

Planning Center is easy to learn and manage. It has helped our church navigate managing over 200 members. This includes using online giving, member database, scheduling, music, emailing members, managing attendance to events and conducting background checks. Planning Center certainly has made our life easier in the office!

Pros

I like how it is versatile and allows us to plug in other services that help us navigate our business efficiently.

Cons

I wish we could have access to a live person quickly if assistance with the program is needed.

Hi Jennifer, Thanks for your kind words! You mentioned wishing you could have access to a live person. We are here in the wings ready to support you. You may be surprised how quickly we respond! Our Support Team is a great resource for help in that area. Hit the '?' icon in the upper-right of the screen when you are looking at your List. Send us a message and our team will jump in to help! Thanks!

JS

John S.

Great church management software

Pros

We've been using Planning Center for years now, and have steadily been adding additional features. One of the best parts is how everything is fully integrated: all of the names from PC People transfer to PC Services and PC Check-in. It makes the use of new services seamless and easy. It's super helpful to have different levels of access, especially in PC Giving. I can get a snap shot of all the financial information for our church without having access to specific donor information, which provides helpful boundaries and financial accountability.

Cons

We recently started using ProPresenter for our Sunday gathering visuals as well as our live stream. PC Services does integrate with ProPresenter, but our Director of Gathered Worship said he doesn't use it because it seems somewhat finicky. We may just need to do some more research into how to best use the products together :)

Hi John, Thanks for your kind words! You mentioned having some trouble with the ProPresenter integration. Our Support Team is a great resource for help in that area. Hit the '?' icon in the upper-right of the screen when you are looking at your List. Send us a message and our team will jump in to help! Thanks!

CP

Ceci P.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Necessary for worship/service planning, other features could integrate better

We actually like Planning Center a lot. It has its issues, but overall it's nice to be able to integrate every area of our church in one database. I do like that it's a sliding pricing structure and you can choose what you need and what you don't. I wish it were cheaper, but I get it.

Pros

The worship planning software (Services) is unmatched as far as I can tell. It pretty much contains everything we would want in a database solution, the Giving portion is fairly easy to use, Groups and Registrations both work pretty well and our congregation doesn't seem to have a lot of trouble with signups through those. Scheduling volunteers is very simple through Services. Their customer support seems to be pretty consistent and helpful.

Cons

2 things: 1. The individual modules for Planning Center, though I like that you can select which ones you need and don't need, don't seem to integrate super well with each other. The fact that you need to re-import people from the database portion into the other modules can be annoying, and the navigation among them as a whole doesn't seem to be totally cohesive. 2. (My biggest pet peeve) It is ENTIRELY too easy for people to add themselves as a duplicate. We've had 5-6 profiles with the exact same email and name, and people can just create a new profile over and over again. If this could be solved, I would honestly be a lot happier with Planning Center.

DA

Dave A.

PCO as full ChMS

We have been very pleased with a fully-integrated solution that is continually improving with a great support team at a price that saves us money!

Pros

When making the switch to PCO as our full ChMS I was concerned at first because there is no dedicated implementation process. However, I was amazed by how smoothly the implementation went. It is extremely intuitive and the support team is amazing. The online help is very useful, the support team responds quickly (I think their target is within 2 hours), and the Slack channel helps glean ideas from other users. We saved about $3,000 per year compared to our previous solution and have a better product.

Cons

PCO is not perfect. There is not a perfect solution. I don't think we've found any issues that we can't work around so far and I've really been impressed by the development team and the rolling out of improved features.

Cameron M.

Great Church Management System for Small - Medium Sized Churchs

My title says that it is a great ChMS for a small - medium sized church, that is just because that is the size of the church that volunteer. Planning Center also has the potential to be great for a large church as well. So far we have been very happy with the transition to planning center, my next project is going to be integrating our website with their API so that we can sync the events and other features of Planning Center.

Pros

I like that Planning Center has all of the features that we need integrated into a single suite. Previously, we had 2-3 tools for membership management, communication, and online giving. We have been able to consolidate that down to a single system and saved money.

Cons

The member directory in the mobile app can be a little confusing for some of our members that are not tech-savvy. To overcome this, our technology team has been promoting our digital outreach and making ourselves available to the congregation to assist with getting them setup in the directory and using the mobile app.

Hi, Cameron! Thank you so much for your kind review. We're delighted to hear that you've had a successful switch and that you're able to use Planning Center as a unified system. Should you soon venture into using our API and have questions navigating through that process, please don't hesitate to reach out to our team for help. All the best!

RD

Rick D.

Planning Center Makes Scheduling Easy and Transparent

Planning Center is a great piece of software, with a lot of very powerful features for a church. It has made planning so much easier as a facility manager of my church. Also, being able to access the member's information is vital, and so much easier. As a congregation member who volunteers as a reader, usher, and worship assistant, being able to see my worship schedule and all the information I need is a great plus. I am very satisfied with Planning Center

Pros

I mainly use it to schedule rooms and events at our two campuses. Our church also has a Preschool through Jr. High, and I need to know who is using what room, and when, in order to schedule facility work, or to schedule groups who use our property for various functions. This can be complicated with the schools using the property, as well as church events, and outside groups. I can easily look on the...

Cons

The integration training we received was excellent, but there is so much to learn, that you have to learn as you go, like any software or system. I would simply say that there is so much that this software can do, it all takes a lot of steps, and learning these steps takes a great deal of time and effort.

HR

Hunter R.

My favorite ChMS

Planning Center has helped our church get back to focusing on people. We used to focus on managing people and administrative tasks, but with the ease of use Planning Center offers, it's allowed us to get back to the people on a more personal level.

Pros

Planning center has many apps, all centered around a common database that serves as the backbone for the entire ecosystem. All the apps reference People, the database app, to add users and administrators to each app. Apps include: Groups: Create and manage small groups. Services: Create service line-ups, worship setlists, and manage volunteers for every team your church has all from one platform,...

Cons

There's so much flexibility with this ChMS that it's hard to know where to start. It's like trying to write a book, and you're staring at a blank page. You know you have something good to write, something worthwhile to say, but you don't know where to start because of the endless possibilities of starting an amazing new journey.

Hi, Hunter! Thank you for your kind words. So glad to hear you're enjoying Planning Center!

BT

Brent T.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

The only church software you need!

Pros

I've been using Planning Center since all they had was the Services app. Now with the recent additions of everything else you need to manage church administration needs, I'm even more impressed. The best is you can tell everything was built by people who know what it means to work in a church environment. Not only does everything just work, but it's built with volunteer training in mind. It's intuitive...

Cons

It can be a little glitchy sometimes I've noticed when you have a lot of volunteers scheduled in one plan. Sometimes names will disappear or notifications will change. But it's few and far between.

Darien C.

Impressive Church Management Software that is constantly improving

Planning Center is a life-saver for our organization, freeing up our time to focus on the people that truly matter. Planning Center has allowed us to implement robust systems to manage a lot of our administrative work; simplifying our lives and helping keep our teams on the same page.

Pros

Planning Center offers a robust set of applications that help create a comprehensive church management platform. Combining the useful features of PC People (such as workflows, forms, database management, etc) with their Service management system (Services), Group management system (Groups), Calendar application (Calendar), Attendance tracking systems (Check-ins), Giving platform (Giving) and event...

Cons

Planning Center is a platform that is constantly growing, which of course means that there are always areas of improvement. The beauty of PC is that they are constantly monitoring what is missing, and working on improving in those areas - so anything I list here really are minor issues that will likely be addressed in the near future. Two crucial things that they are missing are a few back-end admin...

Tyler H.

So. Much. Better.

I was the XP at a church that used Planning Center. I went to another church that used one of their main competitors. After 18 months, we are on Planning Center. I'm much happier and the rest of the staff is much happier. I think that pretty well sums it up.

Pros

When we switched from our previous software to Planning Center, I worked with our staff to see how it was going. The responses I got were always akin to "well, it is frustrating learning a new system...but this is better than what we were on." Basically, in one or two days our staff was less frustrated with Planning Center than they were continually with a system we had been on for three years. As...

Cons

To my understanding, Planning Center set out to make a great stand alone tool for Check Ins, a great tool for Registrations, a great tool for Giving, etc...to do this, they set up separate development teams for each module. I understand this, having worked with some tools that started as a great online director or great giving tool or great event tool and tried to expand to do much more. The result...

WH

Wesley H.

Church Done Right!

Planning Center has streamlined our ministry operations and has allowed us the freedom to operate in a way that helps grow smaller churches into larger ones without skipping a beat.

Pros

Planning Center Online (PCO) has been amazing for our church over these last several years. PCO Services gives us what we need to schedule and plan our Sunday services without any trouble. We love the templates that PCO allows us to set up in order to duplicate a service style easily. Easter and Christmas every year are a breeze with PCO Services. We also use PCO Giving, Check-In, People, and Groups as our foundation of running the behind the scenes of our ministry. The user interface (UI) of each module is similar and easy to use, understand, and follow. I tell pastors about PCO all the time. Especially the People account, which is Free!

Cons

I do wish that PCO would create an app for each of its modules, such as groups. It would be a little easier for a Small Group Leader to access all that PCO Groups has to offer without having to open a computer. Also, the cost of each module seems to be adding up quickly. A "small church" with a tight budget may be put off by the cost. However, I can say that it is worth every penny if that church is a planning church.

JE

Josiah E.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Is Planning Center the way to go?

Overall, I think Planning Center is a good product...when you figure something out and it does what you want it to do, it's amazing. It's just getting to that point which is the pain for the majority of the time. Because there's a different "Platform" for each area Planning Center has, "Services" "People" "Groups" "Registrations" "Check-in's" so forth...they are similar but not 1 platform.

Pros

There is so much that Planning Center can do. I love that there is a way to get pretty much anything I want to do done. It's also the major giant when it comes to church systems and platforms.

Cons

The reason I chose this software to speak to is because of a major issue I've had with planning center which is, duplicating what I'm able to do with other people. It's quite difficult replicating ALL that Planning Center can do. In my line of work, getting multiple people to do what I do is GOLD...with Planning Center, I spend a lot of my time looking at tutorial videos and in the help menu trying...

We certainly don't want you to have stress when it comes to training others using our products. Something we've done recently to help with this is to make our Planning Center University courses more accessible. We recommend that you have new leaders/volunteers to review these courses. It will help set in all on the path to success! https://planning.center/university

SL

Sean L.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Church management software that scales with your organization

The overall experience with PCO is a good one. It is robust and continually has new, helpful features being added. It is a fantastic tool for tracking and managing people resources, donations, volunteers, and communication. I would highly recommend PCO for any church looking for a full featured ChMs without an oversized price tag.

Pros

Planning Center Online (PCO) is a scalable church or organizational software that adapts with your needs and provides great features that meet nearly all of the organizational needs. PCO offers event organization, people management, resource management, a donation platform, volunteer scheduling, and groups management. All this along with a solid communication platform and several third party integrations make PCO a powerful tool for any church or organization.

Cons

There are some features lacking such as built-in texting capabilities or whole-organization integration such as web site and app. The PCO app is not branded and lacks in features but most parts of PCO will integrate into other website platforms such as Wix.

EE

Eric E.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Best ChMS every church needs

Workflows, workflows, workflows. This saves us a ton of a time each week. Attendance is easy to track with the Headcounts app. Services app for planning worship, communicating with volunteers, and scheduling the team is essential.

Pros

I like having individual apps for the different functions in PCO. Each module/app is easy to use and setup. Plus they all integrate seamlessly with one another. Workflows for everyday tasks like first time guest follow up, volunteer email/communication, event registration, and attendance is extremely valuable.

Cons

After using multiple church management systems, PCO has all the features we need...so not real cons for me.

DS

Daniel S.

Comparison to WorshipTeam software

Overall, I do like Planning Center, but I am really torn, because the "Cons" chew up a ton of my time. In my previous church (5 years ago), I DID use Planning Center and thought it was great. I realize that Planning Center is the "BIG PLAYER", but there are definitely things they could improve to make the experience easier.

Pros

1. Parts Storage - I can store my keyboard parts, lead sheets, chord sheets all in one place 2. Templates for services is very handy - saves a couple minutes each week allowing me to just add in my songs and any special things happening in the service. 3. Matrix view of plans and people - I do my people planning every 2 months, so it's nice to see 2 months worth of services all on one screen and fill...

Cons

1. Transposing songs is PAINFUL! In WorshipTeam, I can transpose with one click. I don't have to manually transpose the MP3 for the song and the chord chart is automatically transposed too. In our church, we have a lot of altos and basses. Rarely do we ever do a song in the original key. 2. Library is self populated. In WorshipTeam, I have the songs I have added to the library, but also all the...

Thanks for your honest review, Daniel! Many of the items in your CONS list are things we can help you with. Would you reach out to our support team at support@planning.center and we'll help get some of these pain points resolved!

JF

Justin F.

Religious Institutions, 201-500 employees

A must for Houses of Worship!

Overall, it's an excellent tool and I would highly recommend it. It's a must-have for anyone planning events, especially those in Houses of Worship.

Pros

It makes planning an event flow very easy and intuitive. It's a simple process to upload files and media to attach when creating an event flow, and it's easy to add additional notes and comments to aid in transitions. The timing features make it easy to track session lengths, and PCO Live is a great way to communicate real-time updates to users.

Cons

The Teams feature could be developed a bit more. When managing a checklist, there's no way to skip over items and come back to them later...everything must be completed linearly. In addition, it's difficult to go back and make edits after the fact or even view past progress and notes.

Hey Justin, Thanks for taking the time to write an honest review of our software! Sounds like you may have some ideas for how it could be improved. If you haven't already, we'd love it if you shot some of those ideas over to us at support@planning.center. Thanks!

DB

David B.

Amazing Church Management Software

Overall, Planning Center is a pleasure to use and the support team is one of the best I've ever seen. They care about their customers and strive to make sure their product works perfectly. The development of these tools is ongoing and new features arrive all the time. Planning Center is a textbook example of how to do church management software right.

Pros

I love that Planning Center makes church management easy and fun. The web interface just keeps getting better and the developers are very active in trying to meet the needs of their customers. Its modular design ensures that it has tools available for all churches no matter how big or small. The prices are fair and you only have to pay for the parts that you use. Planning Center has transformed the way we manage our church and has improved communication between our leadership and our church body. This is a must-have tool for any church interested in improving the way they operate.

Cons

While I know that this is a work-in-progress, I find the lack of consistency across the various modules to be an issue. When a new feature is released in one module, it can take some time for it to migrate across the entire software platform. This causes confusion to those of us who are using nearly every tool offered by Planning Center. Additionally, some modules force users to use the archaic and difficult to use Markdown coding langue to format outgoing emails. To make matters worse, there is no email preview in the Markdown editor. So, it's a mystery if the code was entered correctly until after you hit the send button. Frustratingly, some modules do provide users with a full, rich text editor for correspondence. Why don't all of them?

JB

Jonathan B.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

A strong suite with a little too much monopoly

Quality way of maintaining a database of church members that integrates well into scheduling them to serve, checking in their kids, or having them sign up for events or small groups. Nothing else quite like it out there in the market right now!

Pros

I love that it has a variety of different tools that are not only practical but have swiftly become necessary to running ministries in the church. I can't imagine using another software for scheduling teams, checking in kids, or organizing our small groups. This truly is a robust central point for our database management at our church, and it's in a whole other category than any other church management software because of its significantly lower price point.

Cons

Perhaps it's because of the price point, but where Planning Center fails in its ability to stay innovative and continually becoming more intuitive in its design and structure. I can't tell you how many times, even after years of use, I have spent dozens of minutes trying to find a certain feature or settings option that still evaded my insight for where it should go. Also, despite regular suggestions for updates to make the software stronger, I rarely see them innovating. If they didn't hold such a strong monopoly, I would not be surprised to see them ousted by a more aggressively advancing competitor.

Thanks for your honest review, Jonathan! We'd love the chance to chat with you about your comments. You can email us at support@planning.center. We're working hard to update our apps often to keep them competitive. This month, we've pushed out major feature updates to Resources, Registrations, Groups, and Services. We have many exciting updates coming before the end of the year as well!

JF

Jayden F.

When it comes to all-in-one church planning and management, Planning Center is second to none.

Pros

It offers almost every feature you can imagine necessary for your church, regardless of your position. As a leader, you have the ability to set up a plan for an entire service, including music sets, speakers, sermon notes, etc. with as much or little detail as you like. You can then share this with any or all members of your team for their reference. Chain emails can be sent for reminders of meetings,...

Cons

While most features are streamlined, some are buried underneath others, and thus require a bit of digging to figure out every last odd-and-end in the program (of which there are a lot). This isn't detrimental, but it is good to know that you'll have to be willing to invest a little bit of time to truly master everything.

NL

Nicholas L.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

It's core programs are stellar

All in one stop shop for Church Database Management

Pros

Planning Center is a great all in one suite for a church database. Their customer support is really good. They will respond to your email within an hour. They've had a slack channel that is also helpful for you to learn from others how they are using the software. The majority of their products are great. People, Services, Check-In are best in class in my opinion. Resources and Registrations are good...

Cons

Groups and Giving are what I like least about Planning Center. We had to move on from PC Giving because after 2 years of using it they never added the ability to mass import donations or work with outside vendors. I would have loved to have been able to integrate PushPay with Planning Center. It would have saved us H O U R S. I would have loved to have our members see their entire history of giving....

Hi Nicholas, Thanks for your review. We've had a lot of changes to our teams in the past two months, and the Giving/Groups team has been split in to two separate teams to help advance both of those products faster. It still might be awhile before Giving has a way to bulk-import payments, but adding the ability to track external payments in September was a step in that direction. It's definitely concerning that you feel our staff is arrogant, so if you would like to contact me directly about experiences that contributed to this feeling, I'll gladly look into it with you. Reagan Helms Support Team Lead Planning.center

KM

Kevin M.

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

I couldn't imagine church service planning without PCO!

It revolutionized my planning and communication process. It made it so much easier to see who is serving when and to know whether or not they've been sent certain communication pieces and resources. It also makes it simple to collaborate with others on the planning process.

Pros

I've been in church music ministry for over 14 years now. I've tried and evaluated several pieces of software over the years. I always came away with the sense that software packages certainly worked for someone, but I would have to change several things to fit into most of them. That was until I found Planning Center. During my first contact with the product, I was thinking, "Who has been spying on...

Cons

One feature I'm hoping for soon is the ability to incorporate calendar invitations into people's serving schedule. As it stands now, you can subscribe to a calendar of your PCO activity, but it's a separate calendar. Not everyone will do that. As a result, I've been inviting people to Google Calendar events based on who is serving when, just to try to make sure it gets on people's schedules. It would be nice for that functionality to be integrated into PCO instead of doing it separately. When someone accepts an invitation to serve, they get a calendar invitation sent to the email address they indicated was their primary calendar. Other than that, I really have no complaints.

LB

Laura B.

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Planning Center-Connecting, planning, and streamlining my workday

My overall experience with Planning Center has been extremely positive, making the pesky harder parts easier to overlook. I use it daily and I am still finding new ways to help streamline my workday and make sure guests get the best connections.

Pros

Planning Center has been extremely easy to use. I came into it with no formal training, so I relied heavily upon Planning Center University videos, ticket inquiries, and learning from colleagues. The fact that I can say I am extremely comfortable with Planning Center and considering one of the Administrators, is a testament to how easy it is to use. I've only been using it for 6 months! The entire...

Cons

During the time I have been using Planning Center, I have noticed that there are a lot of options/steps (ways to edit/implement, different areas to keep track of, etc.) the options, while great for creating something tailored to my needs, can also seem daunting and easy to lose track of.

Thanks for the review, Laura! We're so grateful to be able to serve you and your congregation. If you ever need assistance with implementing systems in Planning Center, definitely send us some details at support@planningcenteronline.com. We're happy to help!

HF

Hillary F.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Great Product, Needs a Few Organizational Upgrades

Overall, my experience is great. There are plenty of options and they are really intuitive when it comes to what churches need. Each weekend I schedule several services and probably 20 volunteers. I'd be lost without this product. Our church has 2,500 attenders. We live stream our services - it takes a lot of work to pull it off. Throughout COVID I have been able to clearly communicate to my team because of PCO. They do think about everything - it's just that they need to teach us solutions they have created.

Pros

I think this is incredibly easy to use overall. The Scheduling software is what I use most often as I schedule teams for our weekend services. It's intuitive and there are several ways to streamline the sometimes tedious tasks of scheduling the same times every week. Additionally, this software makes it easy to keep track of how often volunteers are scheduled - which is extremely helpful because they are volunteers and I don't want them to burn out.

Cons

I think there could be better training on how to use all aspects of PCO effectively. I feel like we take advantage of only 80% of what PCO is capable of doing for us, and a lot of that is simply because there are no simple guidelines for the massive amount of possibilities for building plans and scheduling teams. More in depth training - that is organized and dives into the details would be extremely helpful. Whenever I have time, I test plans and templates using our employees profiles, but it's really time consuming. I'd rather just sit down and study the system - or have easy access to detailed videos on specific topics.

We can help with training! Our team does a live stream every quarter with detailed training of our products. We recorded our last training and you can watch it here: http://planningcenter.com/university