Planning Center

Church management software with Mailchimp integration

Planning Center Reviews - Page 4

1,000 reviews

Can't Imagine Life Without Planning Center

This software makes me appear more organized than I actually am. It helps prevent disasters.

Pros

Ease of Clear Communication with teams! Moving from a six month spreadsheet of volunteers in various positions (which became obsolete almost as soon as it was published) to Planning Center Online drastically improved our scheduling process, and, most importantly, our elimination of "no shows."

Cons

It's so comprehensive that some features get missed early on in its use, and some of the customization features are a bit clunky to set up and get just right.

Thank you so much for the feedback, Brad! We're delighted that using Planning Center has helped you with your daily scheduling rhythms. Our aim has always been to help schedulers organize and ease the burden of managing volunteers. Overall, this review was fairly positive, but we'd love to hear more about what you found to be clunky within customization settings and setup. Should you want to offer more detailed feedback, please contact us at support@planning.center. Have a great day!

The new standard for Church databases

Between scheduling volunteers, planning services, and tracking people's information for admin use - this software really has it all. Church work can be overwhelming and a great hub of information is needed to be able to access at any time. This is that hub.

Pros

It's extremely simple to put together a service, request volunteers to serve, and see who has confirmed or declined for the weekend. Need to call someone? Switch from "services" to "people" and you can easily pull up their information. The staff is great about training those who need it, the interface is pleasing to the eye and it's easy to learn within minutes.

Cons

There's a lot of in-depth features many will miss because they don't know about them. This requires a large amount of training to be able to know every feature at your church's disposal. But it is worth the time investment.

Not sure why ANY church wouldn't be using Planning Center!

Our church staff team has felt the weight of me asking us to go all-in with the Planning Center platform. We currently use "services", "people", "groups", "check-ins", and "giving" every single week - often every single day. PCO has streamlined many of our previous workflows (or, to be honest - helped us CREATE workflows that didn't exist!). Having access on computers and mobile devices is SUCH a blessing. We couldn't be more pleased with our PCO experiences!

Pros

My favorite part of Planning Center is that it is ALWAYS evolving. From brand new big-ticket module roll-outs to smaller upgrades within the software - the always advancing nature of Planning Center is a huge plus for us. I also love the "umbrella" that Planning Center brought to our ministry situation. Bringing many weekly-use bits of software under one umbrella has helped in so many ways.

Cons

The only negative experience we've had with Planning Center centers around a drop in our Internet speeds on a Sunday morning while checking in children to our children's ministry. Without adequate internet access, we couldn't adequately accomplish what this software provides.

It's the standard for church software for a reason

We are fully invested into the Planning Center software as an organization and we couldn't be happier with it.

Pros

Planning Center is incredible for churches to manage people, services, groups, registrations, giving, etc. We use the full suite of Planning Center software and love all of it. It's not always perfect, but their customer service is usually quick to respond and takes product feedback well.

Cons

It is a bit pricey, but it's worth the cost. Really that's the only downside.

Price increases with use but lots of features included

Overall we enjoyed the number of features provided, and hands-down is the best software for CCLI/SongSelect storage and planning. But there are other CHMS options that are cheaper and can work alongside PCO Services for a lower cost.

Pros

We loved having the amount of features that PCO (Planning Center Online) included. They provide various add-ons/modules to fit your needs and goals (e.g. check-in, events, people, services, etc.).

Cons

We didn't like the increase in cost as we added more people using PCO. I think the "rhyme behind the reason" is that a church would be able to afford paying more as the church grows in number. While this might be the case for other churches the price didn't seem to justify the features for us. Customer support is fast but it's hard to talk to a real person over the phone (email is their preferred support, but I would rather talk to a person personally).

Planning Center Review

Planning Center is helping us keep all our important information for our members in one central database.

Pros

The thing I like most about Planning Center is that it keeps all of our databases connected, and all of our members contact info in one place.

Cons

The thing I like least about Planning Center is that it can sometimes be difficult to find what you need, some of the features are buried within multiple pages, so if you don't know where to go it can be difficult to find something sometimes.

Best Church Management Option

Overall, it's really helped us manage our church. We use it for scheduling, groups, workflows, emails and tons more and it really works exceptionally well for us.

Pros

Planning center seems to be designed to be easy to use first, and to have all the features second. I appreciate this because a lot of the alternatives end up being too difficult to use, PC is great for the end users.

Cons

I guess the only thing is that there are a few features they don't have yet that I would like to see, like more automation and a bit more flexibility on user permission management

A Mission-Critical Component of Workflow

Planning Center empowers our teammates to prepare for services, events, and rehearsals through resourcing them with media, resources, and scheduling data. Planning Center helped me to accomplish many individual tasks all within the suite of features offered through my subscription to Planning Center.

Pros

I like the versatility of the software whether our team is using a laptop or mobile device. The ability to connect a variety of other media subscriptions (i.e. PraiseCharts, SongSelect) to this software is also a big plus.

Cons

I only have two gripes and one of them is outside of the control of Planning Center. The first con is that emails sent from Planning Center are often not sent to an email provider's primary inbox. This leads to some hit-and-miss communication with teammates when using Planning Center's email function. The second con is the lack of an automatic update to teammates when/if a change is made to a plan. It would be beneficial for all people scheduled for a plan to receive a summary of any changes made to the plan as a plan develops.

Unifying teamwork for worship

I have used it as the worship leader, primary planner in medium to large churches with worship teams of varying sizes. It works great for it specialized purpose aimed mostly at contemporary worship with video and projection. I now serve as the pastor of a small, more traditional service. The free account is actually enough for us now. They were the first on the block and are still the best.

Pros

The ability to effectively plan all details of a worship gathering including team member scheduling with multiple participants and a full team able to access what they need when they need it.

Cons

I have used Planning Center for over 10 years. They continue to add more and more functions that are wonderful for a large church but not so much for a small church.

Hey, Don! Thank you so much for those kind words and for being a customer with us for over 10 years. That's amazing! We wanted to follow up concerning your comment about creating features that seem to work well for large churches, but not smaller ones. Can you please let us know what types of features we might be able to add that could help smaller churches in this ever-growing and evolving space? If this is a discussion you'd be willing to have with us, please send your feedback to support@planning.center and we can pick it up from there. Thanks and have a wonderful week!

Simply the BEST

The features and accessibility of Planning Center have made this software an essential resource for my career and organization. The ability to organize worship services, schedule and communicate with staff and volunteers, and store and provide resources is quick to learn, easy to train and implement, and has no competition in its effectiveness and efficiency. When it comes to an all-in-one church management software, there is no competition in value and features.

Pros

Planning Center is one of the most efficient and effective tools I've used as a leader. Creating plans, scheduling people, updating info, sending communications, and resourcing teams are all able to be done quickly and confidently within a web browser or phone/tablet application.

Cons

I believe what Planning Center offers surpasses any expectations and desires, and is consistently rolling out new features and updates I didn't know I needed. I have no cons for this software.

Thanks for the review, Travis! We're so happy Planning Center has helped you schedule and communicate with your teams. Don't hesitate to reach out if you ever need anything!

Planning Center is the Best Practice for church management tools!

Without fail, no matter how many other options we research, Planning Center is the only software that truly enables our church to grow and it will scale with us! It's become a tool that allows our multi-site church to truly take care of our span of care well.

Pros

I love Planning Center's customer support and how they've helped us to customize/better utilize Services and People for our volunteer teams.

Cons

Planning Center Services seems to change the user interface a little bit too frequently. They change the layout and navigation just enough and, when a change occurs, the walkthroughs tend to be insufficient because each team uses it in a somewhat different capacity. Also, we happen to have a very large database of individual records for our attendees and volunteers, so for users who download the Services app and accidentally open the "people" tab, the app tends to crash or freeze.

We're happy to help you with that app-crashing issue! This should not be happening, regardless of how many people are in your database. Please contact our team at support@planning.center and we'll work with you to get this fixed.

Excellent Functionality, Complicated Use

Overall, Planning Center was an incredibly helpful product with a steep learning curve. It had many great features but was not user friendly at all. Ultimately, this lack was what led our church to switch to a different software (Church Community Builder) earlier this year after multiple years of use.

Pros

When you are able to figure out how to use the various features, Planning Center is an incredible software for church use. For check ins, volunteer scheduling, church membership databases, and all things relating to music/band planning, it is an excellent software. I schedule volunteers for our church's kids ministry, manage check-ins, and played in the church band. Though it is sometimes complicated to use, the actual options available in Planning Center are great. Most of what you would ever need to do can be found in this software.

Cons

Though it has a wide range of functionality, it is not user friendly at all. As someone who managed around 100 kids ministry volunteers, I saw this first hand. Not only did it take me a long time to gain any kind of real proficiency in it and even after years of using it, I still occasionally learned new things about it. I was also met with many questions from volunteers about checking schedules and seeing attachments on schedules. If it was easy to use, it would have been a near perfect church software but, unfortunately, it was quite complicated.

Indispensable tool for managing church services and volunteers

Centralized volunteer scheduling Centralized song planning and rehearsing Service planning

Pros

Schedule services and communicate with volunteers through one central location Great mobile app that is not an afterthought. Many of our volunteers only use the mobile app Song planning made easy - just add a song to a service and add people to a service and they have everything they need to rehearse and show up prepared The more ministries use it, the more powerful it becomes - managing schedule conflicts across teams gets easier when all of your teams use it. You can tell the people who write this software are also on church teams. They "get" it.

Cons

It is so robust and flexible, with so many options, getting started can be a little overwhelming. For even a mid-sized church like us, it is an investment. It costs about the same as our church management system, so it is not insignificant. However, I would say we get much more value out of the software than our church management system, so it is worth it.

Plan to get Planning Center

Our experience has been overwhelmingly positive. As I said, it is an efficient timesaver. If you try on your own to do everything that this service offers, you’ll add many unnecessary hours of work to your week.

Pros

The software is really easy to use. It’s a matter of creating an event, selecting the people that are going to participate in the event, and then creating an order/agenda for that event. Since I am a pastor of a church, we put our worship services in this program. So we are able to select the songs, upload them for the worship team to listen to and practice, and then every single participant that we selected will receive an email reminding them they are on the agenda, and it gives them the ability to accept or decline the request. I am able to upload my sermon notes and PowerPoint for the sound team to download in prep for the main service. The fact that we are able to coordinate an entire worship service in this one place allows for efficient planning, and it saves a lot of time.

Cons

The only con that I can think of is that when we first signed up, we had the cheapest package, and eventually we ran out of space. We had to then go back and start deleting previous worship services because of all the files that were previously uploaded. That was an inconvenience that led us to upgrading. Now we don’t have to worry about that.

Powerful, well-thought out Church Management Software

Pros

Child Check-in is very intuitive and flexible, with the ability to check-in via computers, tablets, smartphones and customizable labels. You can have manned check-in stations, additional self-check-in kiosks, or roll-sheet style stations. Services is an amazing way to keep your volunteers organized, so you don't overschedule or overutilize some volunteers while leaving others without much to do. ...

Cons

People has very limited ability to send e-mails without integrating with MailChimp, and that integration was not very intuitive. That said, MailChimp's safeguards to help ensure you're never marked as a spammer make it a really good idea to use it, anyway, for mass e-mails.

Good Church software that does most of what we needed

Overall I like Planning center. We still use it for a couple departments of our church. But we use a different solution for the major lifting.

Pros

I liked the user interface the most. It was more intuitive than others. We used the giving function and liked it better than other solutions. We like the worship band aspect as well.

Cons

It didn't do scheduling very well. It was limited in robustness - though I know they are getting better.

Keeps Our Church Teams Organized

Pros

Although our church uses Planning Center for a variety of things, I use it in our worship ministry, and it allows us to all "stay on the same page". Our church meets in the auditorium of a school, and as such, we only have the building on Sunday mornings. Because of this, our worship team cannot rehearse during the week. With Planning Center, I am able to "post" the music for several Sundays in advance...

Cons

The mobile app is not as responsive as I would like, but it works.

Simple and Easy to Use

Planning Center is helping us save money, time and energy. Instead of spending time and resources training people on how to use the software, we can spend more time doing what God has called us to do which is minister to people.

Pros

Planning Center is easy to learn, and utilize. We have used another church management system and it was extremely difficult to navigate and to teach others to use. Planning Center People make people management and follow-up simple and streamline. We do not have to send people to workshops to figure out how to use it.

Cons

The one con is that there are different apps to download for each major function (services, people etc.). It would be nice to have one central app.

The bigger your team, the more useful this becomes

Overall, Planning Center is really useful for organizing and planning services and communicating to your team. I'm usually on the receiving end, but I have had a little experience assigning team members and scheduling people. It was pretty easy to navigate and get things set how I wanted!

Pros

Planning Center has been used and implemented at most churches I've been involved with. I like how you can schedule people for specific jobs, and add all your song notes, uploaded pdfs or recordings. It makes communicating and organizing with different volunteers and leaders easy. I also like how everything is located in a central place. I think Planning Center is best when there are more people involved. If you have a smaller group for your worship team, it becomes unnecessary.

Cons

Planning Center gets weird when you have the same email address associated with multiple churches. I've had issues logging into one because of an association with a different church. I've had to contact church administrators and ask them to remove me from their system in order to get it to work with the correct account.

We appreciate this review, Andrew! Another option with multiple email addresses to Link your Accounts together, which can be done without contacting churches directly. More info on that here: https://bit.ly/2XlpNH9 Take a look, and reach back out if you run into questions!

Planning Center has allowed us to expand our ministry capacity through clear lines of communication with our volunteers. Truly an indispensable tool for ministry.

Pros

Planning Center has revolutionized the way we communicate with our volunteers and teams. From the most tech-savvy teenager to our oldest retired worship team member, this form of communication simply works for everyone. I love the way you can communicate via different ways. When we first began to transition to Planning Center, we were a traditional church stuck in the 1980's in many ways, especially...

Cons

While Planning Center is the industry standard, in my opinion, I would love if they incorporated a capacity to either integrate with an e-mail marketing/communications company (i.e., Constant Contact or Mail Chimp) or offer that service themselves so I don't have to keep email lists in 2 different (sometimes 3) places.

Planning Center makes leading worship simple

I had to learn this program basically day 1 of receiving the role of Worship Leader at my church. It took an hour or so, but once I figured out how to work everything, it became more fluent with planning services. I LOVE how we can store songs in different keys. It makes planning much simpler and helps keep everything flowing nicely. Really love this product

Pros

I love the easiness of this program. The interface takes a bit of time getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, you excel pretty quickly. What I love about it is the simplicity of it. Whether I'm on my phone or on a computer, it still feels the same. They did a great job with implementing on both sides of the spectrum to make a intuitive program to help with services on the go.

Cons

The interface change they did in August isn't something that I truly liked. They changed up a few things. It's not too difficult right now, but I really got used to how the old interface worked before they changed it.

Planning Center Implementation

This software has totally revamped our music ministry. For anyone looking for an easy way to empower your choir members, I highly recommend using Planning Center!

Pros

This software has completely changed our music ministry at our church! Our choir members have moved from having to hold sheet music every Sunday to being able to practice at home on their own time and really dedicate effort to memorizing everything. Putting the music in the hands of our people at home is fantastic!!

Cons

The scheduling feature of Planning Center has helped with our A/V ministry, but it has also been a bit of a hindrance. It takes away the personal touch that we had before. Instead of sitting down with everyone and being able to plan out schedules and communicate together, now you just get an email when you are needed to serve. Not much of a personal touch. It's a great tool, but it comes with a small drawback for our kind of ministry.

Planning Center Helps Your Church Grow!

Overall, I LOVE using Planning Center! It helps me keep track of volunteers, materials, rooms, and groups with ease. When working with people in general, but especially with volunteers, communication and organization is KEY and Planning Center makes that all possible and EASY! We ahem seen tremendous growth first of all because of what God is doing in our church but also because of the technology we implement and Planning Center has been a driving force in that.

Pros

I've used Planning center for about a year now though I've known of it for years. I don't know how other churches get by without it! It has so many different uses from checking in children, to organizing rooms and supplies for events, to keeping track of attendance for groups, and of course scheduling volunteers for services. It's very versatile and brings order to the chaos of being a volunteer based work space.

Cons

It does have some software bugs with their mobile apps. Often, I've scheduled people on the computer, but when I go to the app it will have other people "pending" under the wrong date and when I try to remove them, I get the "oops, something went wrong" message over and over again. It would also be nice if Planning Center Groups had their own separate phone application to make things more versatile for group leaders, that would be amazing!

Our church loves using planning center. It keeps everything in one place.

I love using Planning Center. It's easy to create service plans, link with our slideshow program, schedule volunteers, and easily reference attached documents for songs and Scripture readings. We also use Planning Center Giving to easily provide an online giving option. It was so easy to set up.

Pros

Planning center helps keep our church organized. We can collaborate on plans, see everything in advance, and schedule volunteers. The large number of features such as tags or blockout dates make it easy to make sure we schedule people based on availability. We have also started using ProPresenter, so the link between these two programs is very helpful in creating slides. Everything is stored in Planning Center, and it easily imports in from our slideshow program. Planning Center giving has made it easy for online donations. Most people don't carry cash or checks around, so having that online donation option is helpful for them. Planning Center was easy to set up and use.

Cons

I don't have many problems with Planning Center at all. Sometimes, the learning curve on advanced functions can be steep, and I may forget the exact steps to do something, but their help guides are there to guide me through. I'm still not sure how to automatically send emails as soon as I schedule someone, but that's a minor issue.

The OG of Worship Planners

Overall, this is one of those vital services that you simply expect any serious worship team to be using if they want to be organized and help their team succeed. I wouldn't want to be without it as a member or admin.

Pros

I've been a part of music teams that used this software dating back to it's initial release. It's evolved over the years to include a whole lot more features and still remains the definitive worship team management and planning software. This one tool made it INCREDIBLY easy to keep everyone on the same page and for me personally as someone who played on multiple teams simultaneously gave me the ultimate rehearsal tool that gathered all my commitments into one place with all the resources I needed to be prepared for the performance.

Cons

At times this software has not allowed the admins to see users and simply attach them into the team. Instead, it would send a separate invite and then you had to manually merge the account yourself. I believe that is resolved now but I am not sure. As a user, this was the largest pain point while playing with multiple teams.

Hi! Thanks for your kind words and honest review! If you are still having any trouble at all adding profiles to Services or teams, specifically, contact our support team through the helpdesk in the app or via email, support@planning.center. We'd be happy to look into any issues you encounter. Have a wonderful day!