Planning Center

Church management software with Mailchimp integration

Planning Center Reviews - Page 8

1,000 reviews

Great for organizing service on Sunday

We have used for over 2 years and has worked great. We are a 2 campus church with live feeds and approx. 20 tech and worship volunteers each Sunday. This program works great even in a multi-campus environment.

Pros

This is a great product for keeping everyone informed and letting them know what they need to do. It also allow you to add extra information such as video or music needed for service. Great for multi-locations

Cons

There is a learning curve and for small churches this would probably be more work than needed. It does take some time each week on the admin side to keep up and it best if everyone involves has a email to receive information from planning center.

Amazing service and music tool

We use it mainly through the mobile app for rota'ing all the different teams and groups, for planning and delivering music across several physical sites and styles of team. It has improved efficiency hugely, it has increased team responsiveness, and it has reduced our carbon footprint by not having to print on so much paper. Highly recommended.

Pros

This product is an amazing church service and management system. It has comprehensive functions around the building of rotas, planning services, managing and delivering music (along with the two mobile apps), supporting communication, and data management. It really is very comprehensive in its suite of functions for our church administrators and provides a reliable service for all we need and more. The functionality around the mobile apps for music are extremely impressive and they are always making them even better.

Cons

Occasionally there are some glitches in the mobile apps but the suppliers are quick to solve these. It would be good to have more detailed contact directory management functionality.

A Complicated Group Management Software

We use this for database management, volunteer scheduling, child check-ins and a variety of other needs.

Pros

Planning Center incorporates a lot of different group management functionality under one software umbrella.

Cons

You often have to pay for the additional add-ons and because of church on right on the "larger" tier, it can become expensive. Also, some of the functionality isn't easy to use and creates frustration for less knowledgeable users.

Thanks for the review, Chad! To clarify, all tiers of all plans include full functionality. We just limit the amount of users able to operate within each of those tiers. We'd love to help clarify! Shoot us a message at support@planningcenteronline.com

Great for Volunteer Scheduling

Pros

Planning Center makes it easy to schedule volunteers for Sunday School classes. It has options to schedule multiple services and classrooms. The "blackout date" feature is helpful to users and administrators to effortlessly work around scheduling conflicts.

Cons

We use the attachment feature to upload lesson plans for Sunday School. It would be helpful if there was a feature that allowed that attachment to show up in each individual Sunday School classroom page, rather than needing to find lesson plans in the list of 100+ attachments on each Sunday's plan.

Hi, Emily! Thank you for the review. We're delighted that using Services has been a positive experience for you. As far as the callout around attachments and those files showing up for individual Sunday School pages, we'd love to hear more about the feature you have in mind. If you'd be open to continuing the conversation with us, reach out to support@planning.center and we can listen to what you have in mind as a feature, or we might even be able to suggest an alternative for you. Thanks so much!

Planning Center

Works for our scheduling needs week to week, able to email reminders of the positions scheduled seamlessly

Pros

The options to customize and add tabs that meet your scheduling needs are all there, available and ready to use

Cons

The kids check in option requires a laptop/desktop and cannot just use a tablet which we prefer to do

Hey Ciarra, Thanks for reaching out and leaving an honest review. We just wanted to pop in to let you know that we do actually support using any iOS or Android devices as your Check-In stations. If you need any assistance in going through your options and picking out a tablet don't hesitate to email us at support@planning.center. We would be happy to help!

Great for churches

Overall, my experience was great and so was the praise bands experience. Couldn't imagine us using any other software.

Pros

What I like most about this software is being able to get all the services our church needs to track and manage things into one system. I primarily used planning center for planning our church services as a worship leader and it was so easy for myself and the praise band to use. The band could block out dates they wouldn't be able to play, I could add in all of the songs with a timeline and keys, all the music was right there at our fingertips. Made it so easy for us to just meet and start practicing/worshipping.

Cons

I did not like the PowerPoint portion of this software. I could never figure out how to use it and create powerpoints through the software, instead I had to constantly use Microsoft powerpoint and create them myself. I was paying for a service as part of planning center that I couldn't actually use with our team. This is my only complaint about the service.

Essential for our church!

Planning Center helps keep our worship team on the same page. When you have nearly 30 vocalists and musicians it's important that all your schedules and preferences are in line. This program makes it easy to keep track of when people are available, and even helps you keep on top of your reporting for CCLI. Excellent for communicating with our team also. We even use it to plan fellowship events.

Pros

Keeping everyone's information and schedule in one place has been super helpful in scheduling our services. Also being able to have YouTube videos linked to all the songs makes it easy for our team to be rehearsing before services.

Cons

Adding in new templates when you want to create events is a little bit of a hassle.

From eraser worn paper calendars to sleeping well at night

We are saving many hours of time each week when you add up all the different ministries now using Planning Center to do scheduling. The initial reason to try it out, was to get away from the spreadsheet service flows that were a mess to make sure you had the latest version. Planning center solved that issue, and as a HUGE bonus was the people management side. This has now by far been the most appreciated tool in the Planning Center toolbox.

Pros

The ease of managing volunteer team schedules is easily my favorite aspect of Planning Center Online. Sure, I love the web-based service builder that can be edited/viewed by multiple people at the same time; but the most time-saving aspect that I now take for granted is the scheduling of people.

Cons

Setting things up takes a lot of thought and process. It's easy, but depending on your ministries/roles/etc it can very quickly become overwhelming. Which is were it is really helpful to have someone come in that is intimately familiar with PCO to help setup the right buckets and map them together.

Great System

The name of this software should really be Planning Center Online. Services is just one app or module that they are known for. We began using PCO for their Services app as a small church who needed to organize a worship team. We quickly found how useful it was and began using it to schedule our volunteers throughout the church. We didn't really have a ChMS, but PCO Services fit our needs for the...

Pros

Modern software design and incredible dedication to providing users with the best software experience possible. They are easy to communicate with and love to hear what users really want.

Cons

Many of the PCO apps are still young and immature (but they innovate fast).

Great software for planning worship services

I really enjoy using PC. It makes planning worship and connecting to church members simple.

Pros

I like that Planning Center's (PC) interface is editable in real-time. It's like a Google Doc in that regard. PC offers a services interface, a people interface (for membership matters), and a giving interface, whereby members can contribute and administrators can track contributions. PC has easy-to-navigate databases for songs and allows users to find archived services and records of song use by date.

Cons

What I like least about this software is that there is a limit on the history of archived services, making it difficult to find services from very long ago. I also wish there was a prayer database and other databases into which you could load prayers, rites, etc., like there is for songs.

Great Company That Makes Incredible Apps

This product requires very little training to my staff and helps us do less admin work and more ministry work. Church is all about relationships, so when we don't have to spend as much time in a "system", we can focus more on those relationships.

Pros

Easy to jump in and learn. All apps have a free subscription level to test the app. This is such a great approach and allows new and existing churches to really "drive" the product before committing. Their support and documentation is by far the best of any CHMS.

Cons

This is necessarily bad, but the overall system is still pretty new, so they are still working to add more features and grasp how each app needs to communicate with another.

The gold-standard, go-to service planning platform

Overall, Planning Center has been a great platform to plan services. We've explored using the rest of the modules, but the financials lacked some of the reporting and features our finance team needed to make it the one-stop solution. But the Services portion is great.

Pros

What I like most about Planning Center is how they've expanded into a broader church management system and offers many other entry points for managing your whole church. Specifically what I like most about the Services module is the Music Stand app to use my iPad as my music stand with all the chord charts for any service I'm a part of.

Cons

The thing I like least about Planning Center is the fairly limited number of people you can add to your services teams before you have to upgrade to the next level. It's my opinion that, since the People portion of the ChMS (Church Management Software) is free, then perhaps there should be a different pricing model for Services so that I don't have to keep archiving people in order to add someone new to a service.

Takes a bit to learn and understand, but exceptionally functional for planning.

Organization, communication, functionality.

Pros

One of my favorite aspects to Planning Center is being able to email/communicate with multiple volunteers from one screen. The email/communication screens are very simple, maybe too simple at times, but they let you send basic messages. I never had any issues with messages not going through, and it was easy to find which people I needed to communicate with. As the application for Mobile has been updated, the software has become easier to use.

Cons

I had a little bit of a hard time accessing administrator settings from the mobile application. I wanted to edit volunteer information (i.e. their email and phone number). It was tricky to find where I needed to go, and eventually deferred to someone with the desktop version. Another thing I came across was the learning-curve. The application tends to require someone to walk you through how to setup teams if you have never used it. Once you know how to run things, it makes life very easy.

Allows Ease of Planning & Organizing

Planning Center is very intuitive and easy to use, even for beginners. I would recommend it for any ministry that schedules teams of people.

Pros

Planning Center allows us to schedule a very large group of different ministry teams, assign tasks, and see at a glance who has "accepted" an assignment and who declines the assignment. This software allows us to plan our services and keep our entire ministry team in touch. It gives our team members a view of the entire ministry and opportunities available.

Cons

It could have better database capabilities. It is not as robust as other databases, but then again, it's not meant to be a database program.

Solid collaboration tool for churches

Easy service planning and file sharing, organized, and allows people to easily and simply share their schedules, as well as communicate via messages in-app.

Pros

Our church uses this to meticulously plan a service, and it works well in establishing timing and ensuring we're all on the same pagel. In the specific context for musicians, it will allow easy sharing of files in different keys and audio playback. We can easily share notes and comment.

Cons

On android version, when opening pdf files for music charts, it keeps redownloading the file (though not large files, it's clutter I have to clean up) and I can't seem to find a setting to prevent this. Perhaps some kind of integration with a pdf viewer tool could be helpful. This happens on multiple devices I own. I suppose I could just directly open my device's download manager / files and open the song chart I want that way, but that's more steps when I feel it could possibly be done more effectively within app itself.

An amazing product

I can plan services, keep our kids' ministry secure, and track our membership all within one piece of software.

Pros

I love the variety in the product. I started with "services," but have branched quickly into "people" and other areas. If you have a need, Planning Center will absolutely cover it. We use it not only for service planning, but for full-featured membership tracking and are about to use it for kids' check in. Customer service is incredibly fast and thorough.

Cons

The only bad thing about Planning Center is the price. It can get expensive as you add people to your teams. However, it is still a great value for the money.

Jack Of All Trades, Master Of None

Planning Center gets the job done. The design and workflow works well other than being inconsistent across the platform.

Pros

Planning Center does a lot of things. From planning services to keeping track of church members, Planning Center helps organize multiple parts of your ministry. If you're looking for an all-in-one solution, this platform is your best option.

Cons

While Planning Center does a lot, it doesn't stand out in any of its features. There are 4 main applications that manage church members, church service, event registrations, and event check-ins. For the most part, they're intuitive until you switch from one app to the other. The design and flow don't really match in each area so it's a ding in Planning Center's best aspect of being all-in-one. You'll be hard-pressed to find a better all-in-one solution but, you may want to look at other options if you're more focused on a single area of what Planning Center tackles.

Hey, Keegan! Thank you for your feedback! We would love to hear any suggestions for improvement or feature updates you might have. Please feel free to send us an email at support@planningcenter.com with any specifics! Thanks!

Feature Rich and Growing Fast

Planning Center is a great volunteer team management cloud software. Our church uses it mainly for our worship and production team scheduling and for Sunday service planning. We have recently started using the software to schedule our children's ministry volunteers. The software has tons of features and it is growing fast. We really like the fact that when you schedule individuals they get a text,...

Pros

Ability to Schedule Volunteers, text reminders and notifications of volunteer scheduling.

Cons

Cumbersome menus. Hidden settings icons. Many steps to setup teams.

Planning Center will get your church organized!

Pros

Planning Center gives our body a central software that can get us all on the same page. You can provide members with a login to view upcoming service opportunities. We use it specifically for child care, setup and tear down teams, and security. As a server, if you know a day in the future will not work, you can block it out. We use this feature the most for upcoming travel. You will also have the ability to upload materials in a variety of file types if needed. We like to upload the lesson so people can see what types of activities will be completed on each day.

Cons

I'm not sure there is a feature that blocks the viewing of other members serving. If you require privacy in terms of who is serving when, you may have to think of a work-around. Sometimes I wish there was a feature that I could send a message to the creator of the event. I find I have to send a separate email if I have a question about the event.

Planning Center brings all the tools needed for worship planning together and is very user friendly!

Pros

Planning Center's cloud based platform is great for scheduling musicians, A/V tech workers, and is very helpful in planning out the worship elements of a service. Having a centralized location for music, audio files, and the like is so helpful!

Cons

I'm not sure we can find a con yet.. it's very easy to use and very friendly. Maybe the only thing that would be helpful is some kind of integration with Pro Presenter?

Hey Brian, Good news for you! ProPresenter has integrated with us. You can find out more information about it here: https://support.renewedvision.com/article/229-planning-center-online-integration-in-propresenter-6

Planned and Centered

Pros

Planning Center is great! I use it to schedule people at church to play on the music team, and it's great because you can upload a ton of files such as different instrument tracks, chord charts, and tutorials! The app makes it easy for your musicians to get the resources needed for good practice.

Cons

I wish I didn't always have to download PDFs for chord charts. It'd be nice if there was a way to have a preview mode for chord charts.

Thanks for that great feedback! Regarding your PDF issue, our support team would be happy to show you how to use preview mode. We can be contacted at support@planning.center!

Perfect for communicating the church service order with every member of your team.

Scheduling and communicating with team members. Online access and a wonderful app makes it easy to use and always available. Synchronization with CCLI Songselect and ProPresenter software and online service is a great benefit as well.

Pros

Feedback from team members to accept or decline scheduling; synchronization with ProPresenter software for projection purposes; online editing (not hardware based); online storage for files; tiered prices make it a value for any size church

Cons

There isn't much to say that is negative. However, it would be appreciated if the online storage was greater for the number of service types subscribed to.

Planning Center Helps Churches Win

We have been freed to capture registrations totally though PCO Registrations - we utilize an iPad and person on Sundays to eliminate paper lists and manually adds by doing it in person with our older congregants. Our younger and tech-savvy love the online ability to be scheduled and to register.

Pros

We currently use the Services, Registrations and People portals as well as church center segments. The integration between these is phenomenal. We are able to gather information quickly, track and schedule with efficiency and custom lists and workflows to spend less time managing a database and more time shepherding our people.

Cons

There have been times that lists cannot be sorted as easily as we wanted, but Planning Center has consistently improved and their support articles are great resources to find out what you need when you need it. We had to work through frustration at the need to sign in for each registration but understand this is a security measure and our people understand.

Great for Worship Team and Volunteers!

We have not had to struggle during implementation into varies departments. It has been a complete time saver and our leaders love using Planning Center, no complaints.

Pros

Ease of use for our worship team and scheduling volunteers. App is convenient and user friendly. Making connections is seamless.

Cons

We use CCB as our ChMS and we would love for an integration. Currently if a profile is created in Planning Center first, we have to manually enter into CCB as well.

Exactly what you need

Overall I give Planning Center and all its functionality a 10 out of 10. There is not a better overall resource out there for the money.

Pros

Planning Center is a one-stop-shop for church leadership of any size. From using their database resource to organizing weekly teams for worship gatherings or small groups, it is excellent. We also use the Giving function as well for our online giving. Not a better resource available for the money.

Cons

I wish you could make hyperlinks in the comments section in the services program, as well as make the website and app more alike.