Prospect Research Online

Online prospect research and fundraising tool for nonprofits

Prospect Research Online Reviews

Pros

I switched from another well-known prospect research tool a few years back and I'm so glad I did. We're a smaller organization and for the money, iWave is the best prospect research tool out there.

Rebecca R.

Our Prospect Research loves how easy iWaves is to use and the great data results that she gets from iWaves.

Darrell R.

William R.

Cons

I dislike that the search doesn't offer searching by variations in spelling. I find that sometimes you have to have the spelling exact for the record to come up.

Jessica B.

Too many functions are add-ons which makes it difficult to use to its full potential when you are on a budget.

Kristin U.

Sometimes the data is old or incorrect and there is no quick way to correct it.

Carol H.

4.5

Found this product so useful that we purchased additional licenses for other staff members.

We use it a THE starting place when we are given a prospect name about which very little is known. This product is extremely helpful in finding employment, property, stock, etc. which out manual internet searches.

Pros

Ease of use and depth of information. Not only are you able to look up a property record, you are also able to see the property history. Many of the sections allow you see the source. Also really like the 360 degree search feature as a starting place. Very helpful.

Cons

I can not think of anything I don't like about this product. Perhaps one con would be that the records are not updated from the iWave sources as frequently as I would like, however, that is true for most prospect research products.

My experience with iWave has been excellent!

Quality data that helps us identify and target fundraising prospects. The software is a great value for the cost. The software has saved us a great deal of time identifying and researching new prospects allowing us to get them to our front line gift officers much sooner that we had in the past.

Pros

1) Quality of data--accurate data including real estate, Thomson Reuters, D&B, RelSci and HEPdata to name a few of the databases available. 2) Affordability--great for offices on a tight budget. Great returns for a minimal investment. 3) Ease of use--the search features are intuitive. The 360 search tool is a great feature offering fast comprehensive searches with drill through capability. 4) The...

Cons

Honestly, there isn't anything that I do not like about iWave. One thing on my wish list would be the addition of a general news database, but this is not a deal breaker for me.

I've used iwave since it's launch. I use this tool for ad-hoc information searches.

Pros

360 Search ZoomInfo. Great for bio search. Would be better if we were still able to pull the cached pages. Ability to search by address to confirm RE ownership Donations area: ease of exporting and modifying Have not used alert functionality

Cons

Everytime I do a 360 search I have to do it twice. Maybe I work too fast, but the initial search never finds my individual. I'd like to see a date on each source indicating the last time it was loaded into the iWave environment. Particularly D&B Not useful: RelSci - not possible to fully utilize To and From Insider Filings - no aggregate data. I typically navigate to the Form 4 to get a sense...

The first resource I look to for information.

iWave Pro is my first go-to online research resource. It is my starting place, providing links to other areas for further research.

Pros

The 360 Search feature is really great and will always run a search through this feature first, then branch out from there. I also appreciate the addition of the Dun and Bradstreet information as I like to compare that data with ZoomInfo. The Foundations/Charities tab is also highly useful. Being able to download giving history also saves valuable time.

Cons

The one thing I dislike about the giving history provided through iWave is the inconsistency/accuracy of giving history (donations). I understand this information is provided to iWave by a third party. I've been advised by others in my field that the donation history in iWave is more accurate than Noza however I find that I have to double check often to ensure the gift type is actually as it is listed; more often than not an "Annual Gift" is actually a "Cumulative" gift.

Great research tool

I love iWave. I use it in conjunction with several other research databases to be able to provide a well-rounded view of our prospects. iWave is easy to use and provides information from many sources and I find it to be invaluable in my day to day work

Pros

I love the real estate feature that allows you to look at the individual transactions for each property. It allows lists additional properties that person may own so that you can further your research.

Cons

I have not found the political giving module to be very helpful, as I am always able to find more political giving using other resources. I also do not find the Database USA to provide much useful information

We love iWave for the layers of insight it gives into our prospects.

We're able to find information via iWave's sources that we can't get at any other way. It fills in the gaps our other research solution leaves open, and it's flexible enough to let us work with data the way that works best for us.

Pros

iWave aggregates the information into easy-to-browse layers. We like that we can collect the relevant data into PROfiles, and that the system weeds out duplicate records on its own if we happen to add something to a previous PROfile that was already there. The breakout categories on philanthropic giving are helpful, as is the PRO Score. We frequently search giving by the foundation name, if we find one attached to a prospect, which we have a hard time doing in our other research solution. The wealth of business contact information in ZoomInfo is indispensable.

Cons

We're dying for the integration with Raiser's Edge to happen. We used to be heavier users of iWave, but when we integrated our other research solution to our database, we shifted usage over there. PROfiles are glitchy sometimes, and there's a lack of ability to sort and customize what goes into them compared to what we'd like to have.

iWave PRO

iWave is my go-to prospect research resource. It's one of the first places I look for information when I open up a case. Customer support is prompt and effective.

Pros

It has a very user-friendly interface and displays results in a clear way. Unlike some other subscription-based products of its nature, it makes no attempt to bulk data together into a single record, eliminating the problem of false ID matches. Rather, it lets you go through and verify each component separately. I love the donations section as it links right to annual reports/donor rosters!

Cons

I wish it would do either nickname/similar name matching, or at least provide results where the name starts with the same letters.

IWave is very easy to use with great features, and the customer support is exceptional.

Pros

I get an intelligent snapshot on a prospect in a flash with various data sets. Creating prospect lists for individuals and corporations using various data sets like real estate, Thomson Reuters, donations, alumni and Prospects of Wealth. Qualifying prospect lists (PROScore/RFM) is impressive and has helped our Major Gifts pipeline. The Canadian and US foundations information in IWave is up to date and is very useful.

Cons

Duplicates in giving history - this can impact on scoring the prospect (on # and amount). RelSci data is not very dynamic and is not local for my use.

Great research tool

I love iWave and use it almost daily in combination with other research tools

Pros

My favorite part of this software is the real estate section, as it provides much more information than most other products that we use. Information on ownership, sales and transactions comes in very handy

Cons

as with any research tool, its always best to be able to verify the information using another source. The charitable giving database is getting much better.

powerful datasets, gold-standard interface

Pros

iWave PRO brings together excellent datasets for professional background, charitable giving, real estate, and other areas. The interface is the best in the industry, making it very easy to query based on prospect names or indirectly. Results can be easily exported for additional analysis and reporting.

Cons

The profile-building feature is not strong, and the company has been cagey about its batch screening functionality.

I use iWave because it's an amazing resource to help our non-profit raise more funds!

Pros

Using PROSearch and validating the excellent results it returns makes my job so much easier. Also, when I'm updating the propensity of a prospect, VeriGift oftentimes gives me more recent and numerous gifts than other tools I've tried. iWave's training and customer service is top notch, too. I switched from another well-known prospect research tool a few years back and I'm so glad I did. We're a smaller organization and for the money, iWave is the best prospect research tool out there!

Cons

The only potential drawback is that iWave does not currently integrate as easily with our donor management system, but what's really cool is iWave listened to it's clients and is working out a solution. Thank you, iWave!

IWave is a great addition to our research needs and every employee I've dealt with has been great!

Pros

The info I find in Real Estate, Political Giving, Donations and Foundations/Charities is very helpful. When I can't find the name of a property owner, I like how I can enter the address and it shows me the name of the owner. I also like how it shows all the properties that a person owns and the value of the property. Depending on how in depth I want to get, I can just check out what's on my screen or do a PROscreen and download or print.

Cons

I don't usually get much from ZoomInfo, RelSci, Dun and Bradstreet, Thomson Reuters and Insider Filings that is usable for me. Also, I always wonder how reliable Prospects of Wealth is.

iWave PRO is my go-to resource

iWave PRO provides the most complete resources at the best value.

Pros

iWave PRO is comprehensive and easy-to-use. They have done a tremendous job aggregating data resources that key in on the most helpful information. With all that they already offer, they are always striving to provide even more content. iWave PRO allows me to research and qualify more prospects in a shorter amount of time.

Cons

iWave recently included on a trial basis data from Pipl. I appreciated both the content and how it was formatted. If possible, I would love to see this content restored on a permanent basis - either from Pipl or a similar vendor.

IWave has been my go to source since Ive been in research. I know I can go there as a starting point

I am able to provide better quality information using the tool of IWave

Pros

The amount of information gathered in one place saves so much time in the research process. I feel secure in knowing that the information that is provided is accurate and the most up to date. This is truly money well spent.

Cons

I would like if IWave had a better way to provide/confirm email addresses. That's one of the biggest request that I get from fund raisers.

I have been a customer for many years. I appreciate that IWave responds to the needs of its users.

Able to check data against other search products. Very reliable, never down.

Pros

Ease of use. Very reasonably priced. Is a one stop shop for all research needs. Customer service is courteous and quick. Love being able to use all the different databases.

Cons

Lately the matches on names are not close enough. Not crazy about the profile layout. Sometimes the data is old or incorrect and there is no quick way to correct it.

I've been using PRO for a year now and have nothing bad to say about it.

It has been very helpful in not only identifying US prospects but also prospects in Canada.

Pros

From screening to just regular searches, I am regularly amazed at how easy it is to use. It is transparent about where the information is coming from which allows me to be more confident in my research. I also love how easy it is to download and export data that I can use and share with others in my office. The customer support has been top notch. My questions are always answered quickly and thoroughly and I really appreciate all of the tutorials available online.

Cons

I really don't know if I have a single bad thing to say about iWave. It has been a fantastic addition to our research products.

iWave has it all! After 6 years of using it, I still find it is my go-to program for researching.

Fantastic for researching!

Pros

Everything is combined into one program; results are able to be reviewed quickly and easily through a series of tabs. Hyperlinks make additional information super accessible.

Cons

Times me out pretty frequently. Although this happens daily, it's to be expected when a research begins a deep-dive and gets off track in another program.

A fantastic all-in-one prospect research tool!

This software has made a big difference for my team - it makes us better and faster.

Pros

Yes, it has the key database sources I want, but what really makes this a great tool for me is that I can throw a name into it and get started. That's never going to work well with a really common name, but so often I know enough and need to recognize my prospect and get information quickly. iWave PRO gets me there.

Cons

If I could wave a magic wand, I'd wish that I could create a PROfile that could export with more plain text that I could manipulate. Because there's always external data I want to add. But, hey, I get it that there's only so much software can do!

We've been using iWaves now for several years and it is a valuable tool for our prospect researcher.

Pros

Cons

We've been using it for several years and really haven't come across any cons, so nothing really comes to mind right now

iWave is great for your basic to intermediate needs for anything prospect research related.

Pros

It's easy to use! Very intuitive. The PROscreen and PROfiles function is extremely helpful. iWave constantly tries to improve itself and work for its clients. Plus, their customer service is beyond anything I've ever experienced. Every iWave employee I've interacted with has been exceptional.

Cons

The filtering and exporting feature isn't advanced or easy to use. Sometimes the software is too easy to use and generic. I've found the PROscore to not be very accurate at times.

Great experience with wonderful customer service!

When I was using this on a daily basis, I was doing pre-screening searches to prepare information for our prospect researchers. It was a great tool!

Pros

I loved the ease of using iWave to find information. I don't use it as often due to a change in job duties, but it's not hard to use at all.

Cons

I wish it had current address information like AlumniFinder and LexisNexis. I'd prefer to look up information with iWave. Lexis isn't as easy to use, and AlumniFinder or Accurint as it's also been known, are now Lexis mini me, and not as user friendly.

Best Research Tool for the Philanthropy World

Overall my experience has been great. Excellent support. Innovative technology. They are constantly adding or adjusting things to strive to make it better based on what their customers are saying.

Pros

Ease of accessing charitable donations, and Business Information at graduates at our university. The real estate section is also particularly impressive.

Cons

Because it is a U.S. product, there are some tabs that only have information from their country and not Canada.

Invaluable tool to build a database, create profiles, and prioritize funding prospects.

Pros

Quick and easy access real estate holdings (we are a land trust), giving when available, addresses for database building, and wealth. It is also handy in a small geographical location where a small number of donors support many causes to see who is supporting who, at what level. Just getting into institutional funding research.

Cons

Didn't get onboarded very well. Am self taught and feel like I'm not using profile builder to max potential.

Love this product

Overall, I have enjoyed using iWave and have found it extremely useful as a supplement for research

Pros

After researching without software for a long time--iWave was a breathe of fresh air. It is easy to use once you have had training and delivers useful information

Cons

We have used iwave for the last three seasons with great success as a prospect research tool.

Pros

iwave is great way to get an 360 degree look at a donor's wealth and capacity - we have used it successfully to identify new donors and increased giving prospects. Our Foundation person really likes the functionality of the Foundation search module.

Cons

I cannot think of anything - with common names you have to watch out for false positives, but I like that iwave offers you a way to take those out of the profile.