Salsa CRM

Cloud-based donor management & engagement software

visit website

Salsa CRM Reviews

Pros

I highly recommend DonorPro - it's a great value for the price, they provide EXCELLENT customer service and it's easy to use.

Jane W.

Heather G.

The options in the reporting system are great and I find it superior to most query/reporting tools.

Mario C.

Cons

The inability to add off-line donations to individual fundraising pages is our biggest concern at this time. This problem has been detrimental to our fundraising efforts.

Barb H.

The fact that NOTHING is in alphabetical order. Why and how this has happened is ridiculous.

Mario C.

Kate G.

Disjointed, kludgy, unintuitive, overly-complex, and outdated on the CRM side

Transcript

Doug L.: Hi, my name's Doug. I serve as president of a nonprofit and I can only give Salsa CRM two out...

Essential Operating Tool

Pros

Salsa CRM has been essential in making sure that our organization has run smoothly since inception. The product allows us to grow into new features as we grow as an org.

Cons

Reporting and corresponding can be tedious at times but improvements to both have been made over time.

Good, but needs fine tuning

Overall I have enjoyed setting up and implementing Salsa. My biggest complaint (other than the alphebetical order issue) is that the person inputting the data should have more of an understanding as to the inner working and fields available in Salsa. There are many fields that I have (and still am) currently modifying/getting rid of because the fields already existed in the system so I am moving the data. All someoned needed to request was to use the existing field to upload against but I was never told or given the option. I can see the issue possibly being from me not seeing the fields but in my mind, you all are the experts and are helping implement the system the best way possible.

Cons

Difficult to use and quite disappointing

I think our sales representative was very good at what he does. The software for Salsa Engage looks great outer-facing. However, the connection to the CRM is disappointing, and email deliverability is also hard. Regarding the CRM itself, it is not at all user friendly. Getting things set up and onboarded was lacking on behalf of Salsa. Customer support is always very friendly, but they simply point me to the same articles to go read over and over again. Which I have done. Many times. Yet, I still would appreciate some actual guidance/help.

Pros

I think the CRM has the potential to be robust. However, entering and mining the data is quite difficult.

Cons

As someone who has been in marketing, fundraising, and tech for 15+ years, I am pretty tech savvy. And, this CRM is hard to use. Anything that should be easy isn't. Specifically, printing donor recognition letters/receipts is cumbersome. Running donor reports is cumbersome.

Amy, We are sorry that the CRM to Engage integration is not meeting your expectations. We will have a member of our client services team reach out to you to talk through your options and help you to resolve issues that you are having. Please feel free to reach out to us directly as well. Thank you very much for your feedback!

Overall, a useful product

As my review title states: overall, a useful product, but it's definitely got room for macro design improvements.

Pros

There are unlimited capabilities with the software. Salsa CRM offers everything you could possibly desire in a CRM designed for a nonprofit. In fact, there's so much functionality, that after six months of having used the software, I still feel like I'm only 25% of the way there with fully knowing it inside and out. Constituent profiles are clean and easy-to-navigate, and they help unearth stats that can ultimately help you recapture lapsed donors and sustain their commitment to the org. Additionally, customer support is always there to help you navigate the software should you ever get lost.

Cons

The training is not exactly exciting or something an audio-visual-hands-on combo type of learner with ADD is going to find very useful. I think it's unfortunate that the product vocabulary has to be all "startup-y." I'm still trying to understand the reporting systems. I've also been faced with buggy moments that typically require restarting the software which causes delays in getting work done.

Blake - Thank you very much for your review. We are glad to hear that Salsa CRM has all of the features you need and is helping you unearth statistics that will hopefully help you grow! We have passed along your feedback on our training and start-up process to our on-boarding and client teams. We are always looking to improve and sincerely appreciate your feedback.

User friendly

Better constituent tracking.

Pros

Copying previous emails makes it very easy to create new ones. Once you learn the functions, it is simple and straight forward to create emails.

Cons

It would save time if brand colors could be saved to a palette for fonts and background colors in emails so that it isn't necessary to type them in each time I create a new row or title. I have repeatedly found that the text adds a return prior to completely filling a line. I have removed formatting, and it doesn't change this problem.

Data Migration Less Than Desirable

During conversion, you cannot actually speak with a person unless you have paid. You have to email ALL your questions.

Pros

It is way more user friendly that what we were using before = ETapestry but then, it's ETap so go figure.

Cons

We are in process of conversion and here are my initial thoughts: 1) pay the extra money and have someone help you unless, you don't have that many constituents. 2) I was extremely disappointed. When migrating business or organizational contacts over, you will lose multiple contact names, period. They only let you migrate ONE name over which is contained in ONE text field box. This means if you...

Hi Leslie, Thank you for the feedback about our Standard Conversion process, our clients input means a lot to us. Salsa would love a chance to speak with you and review your concerns about your conversion. While we do have some standard practices that we use to make our conversions quick and affordable, we can certainly work with you to make the database work for your needs. We have training and consulting resources and would love a chance to speak with you to provide the best steps forward. Please email services@salsalabs.com and ask to speak with the Implementation Manager for more assistance. Additionally, there is no additional charge to speak with Salsa over the phone, so Salsa would love to learn where that expectation was set in the process so we can address that immediately.

Great for small organizations

Excellent customers service, resources, communication, and ease of use.

Pros

I love the dashboard features that give you a quick glance across the board, ease of targeting list members, and the new event functions. Running our events through Salsa has made a huge fundraising difference for us.

Cons

I realize these are small things, but for our organization, would be tremendously helpful -- the ability to embed RSS feeds and videos into email would make this an ideal tool.

Kemberlee, It's awesome that even with a smaller team, you are able to utilize all these features in Salsa. I hope we continue to be a great resource for your (hopefully in-person) events in the future! We also appreciate the feedback on embedded RSS feeds being a feature that your organization could benefit from.

Easy to Use

We are a local chapter of a national nonprofit organization, and manage roughly 50,000 records. I use it daily with little to no issues, enter and acknowledging donations and keeping details records of constituents. My favorite part is the ProPortal where you can get resources such as software upgrades and video tutorials.

Pros

Easy to use. Tons of online resources. Open to user input.

Cons

Getting more complicated issues resolved can be a chore. But I think this is an example of growing pains. Hopefully more staff will cure this problem.

Coastal Connections' Review of Salsa CRM

Pros

This software is customizable and has endless features to help manage all levels of operations. We only use a fraction of its power for what we do, but I am thankful that as CCinc grows, our ability to use the same software will be there since there are more functions we can explore.

Cons

Report Queries are very difficult to understand. This is not an intuitive process and you need to be practiced in queries before trying to use this part of the software.

Easy to use and good product for the price

It was really easy to get started with Salsa Engage. The staff people are fantastic to work with and very responsive. The webinars and online classes are helpful. We are really please with our choice.

Pros

The Salsa Engage product had enough functionality to fill our needs but not too much so that we felt like we were wasting money for bells and whistles we weren't going to use.

Cons

Even though we did the onboarding session, there is functionality that I know is there, but I can't figure out how to use yet.

SALSA is THE best!

I’ve been with SALSA now for several years. In the beginning I kept trying to make it Network for Good - which I left because they were so non-responsive, but they do have good interfaces and options, and their donation processing is a breeze. But the reality is, that I left NFG because I couldn’t get what I wanted. From my first day with SALSA, though, the team behind the product stood out and they...

Pros

Since 2003 we have purchased, leased, been granted and explored too many databases to count. Until we finally found our home with SALSA. The team is constantly upgrading and adding features, the customer support is absolutely unparalleled, and their dedication to the end-user is obvious in the features they have and those that they've added over the years we've been with them. Every software CRM has issues. One of the things that sets SALSA apart from all of the others is their customer service team. They go the extra mile and then they just keep going even further to work with you, fix any issue you're having, suggest new features to the development team based on your needs....they are just the absolute best.

Cons

I'm not as fond of their donation processing partner. For example, if a donor wants to increase their giving amount you have to cancel their old donation and they have to go in and create a whole new donation. Some of their training material leaves a lot out, but the responsiveness of their support team more than makes up for that.

Salsa gets it done, but only if you have the staff to make it work

My team used Salsa for a 1-year campaign to raise money to build a home in Nepal for trafficking victims. We successfully raised $467,000 in 10 months! Hands down, we COULD NOT have done it without Salsa. Because it had everything in one (emails, analytics, segmenting, Peer 2 Peer campaigns, donation pages, event pages, and much more) it was much easier to keep track of everything we needed to keep track of.

Pros

*I didn't realize it at the time, but I really like how easily I could create queries/segments of donors. It has a "If/Then" approach with clicks of a button that is a lot easier than another CRM I use (eTapestry by Blackbaud). *Their email system worked well for our purposes. We had templates that we used throughout the campaign that looked good and were easy to fill in our information. It sent the...

Cons

*The emails were mostly good, but sometimes editing the templates was frustrating. You can't delete certain aspects (like a table or a line) in the email and if you're not careful and press "backspace" at the wrong time, the system will think that you've clicked the "Back" shortcut key and it will take you out of the email...unless you've saved recently, your email is gone. So, save OFTEN. *The Peer2Peer...

Easy to use, quick and reliable reports, constantly adding elements to make the experience better.

Tracking donors easily, easily sending out communication.

Pros

What I like most about Salsa Labs is the ease of use. Although as the administrator I am in the database daily, everyone on my team can easily find what they need and update donor profiles, and find out information about donors. The robust queries is also huge for me. The fact that I can easily segment out multiple layers of donors makes my job much easier. So far there has not been an output that I am looking for that I can not get through Salsa queries. The integrated emails and unlimited donation pages are also wonderful and have reduced the number of platforms we have to use.

Cons

I do wish there was a little bit more integration between the CRM and the Engage side of the systems. Currently if I send out an email blast it does not add a note or activity to the donor's profile on the CRM side saying this was sent. Currently I have to add them to a group and then add a note to their profile. There are a couple of other little items that are more wish list items rather than items I have to have in a CRM. Also, the customer support, although they are always helpful, it is sometimes hard to get ahold of them. Emails usually take a good 3-7 days to answer (sometimes mores) and if I call I am on hold for a good 15-30 min sometimes. It is nice that I can call anytime, but frustrating that it can take awhile to get ahold of anyone.

Salsa is the best software for the money

Ilona and Andrew on were great at walking us through the process. It is always cumbersome when starting a new CRM solution, but between them and Joe, our onboarding specialist, the people at Salsa were great. We're still getting use to all the available tools, but have found great benefit in everything so far!

Pros

Lots of tools (Email, Events, P2P, Social Media, etc.) Great options for communicating to donors and receiving donations. A lot of customization for marketing and accounting.

Cons

Merging the two solutions (Engage and the CRM) has proven clunky, but the team is committed to fixing any issues.

Thanks for your review, Derek. Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage have a built-in two-way integration that syncs all standard and custom fields between the two, pushes online supporter activity data into Salsa CRM and enables you to build groups in Salsa CRM and push them to Salsa Engage for online engagement. Also, be sure to check out Salsa Scholars, the interactive eLearning platform that contains instructor led training courses that will help you learn all the ins and outs and maximize the software. Specifically, there is a course on the Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage integration. Let us know if you're still having trouble and we can help you sort it out!

Overall, love salsa

Pleasing

Pros

The customer support is excellent. It is fairly easy to learn and use.

Cons

Engage There are some inconsistencies with email set up. I HATE the way the email series set ups are, the scheduling is horrible, it should just use a calendar like a regular blast. When exporting any report from engage id like some options for what I info is included in report.

Kate, Thank you so much for your review. We hope Kansans for Life will continue to find success with Salsa. Please feel free to reach out to our support team with any questions regarding email series & any other concerns, they would be happy to assist you!

Many improvements over the years

Pros

Salsa has really added improvements over the years to help with ease of use. A key aspect I use is reporting, and there are frequent updates to built in reports and performance dashboards. I love the new update to the donor detail report. I am able to get the information I need quickly and accurately.

Cons

I find the cultivation feature a bit clunky. We are still using excel spreadsheets to keep track of this type of work. Although we still keep notes in salsa, the leg work needed to set up and efficiently use the the cultivation feature may be more work for us than its worth.

Anna, It's great to hear that our updates have been beneficial to your team & has improved overall efficiency with reporting for your organization! Thank you so much for your feedback.

Salsa CRM is my system of choice

Pros

I've been in development for 20+ years and used a variety of systems, and Salsa CRM is the only product that consistently meets my needs and gets the job done. The product is intuitive, easy to learn and their support is top-notch. Many webinar and trainings offered, although it is so easy to use I don't need to tap those options much.

Cons

not applicable - nothing to improve. The product is intuitive and meets my needs, and most importantly is scalable. I've used Salsa in a shop with less than 10K donors and in an organization with over 30K donors, and have worked with peers everywhere in between also using the product with great success.

i have grown from a salsa no nothing to semi master because of quality salsa support

great folks work there and are available to you

Pros

the huge body of information that can be stored; the tech help that is available with a simple phone call

Cons

learning curve can be difficult to get through. the page face is overwhelming (why all of the brown space?)

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for your review and for being a longtime customer. Wanted to make you aware of Salsa Scholars, the interactive eLearning platform that contains instructor led training courses that has really shortened the learning curve for Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage users. Also, the new browser interface of Salsa CRM is much improved from the desktop interface you may have used in years past. More interface and dashboard improvements are in the works right now! If you haven't requested access to Salsa Scholars yet, you can do so by emailing educationdirector@salsalabs.com.

Great product and excellent support team

Pros

Salsa CRM is user friendly and easy to learn. After using similar products this one is the best I have seen and so is their support team! The team goes above and beyond when training and that great service even extends even after training is complete. I always recognize familiar names and voices when I call/email with questions. The also offer online help and training videos so you can stay up-to-date on new functions that may benefit your organization. Salsa CRM offers a fantastic product and the support to meet your needs. They communicate with their customers well and are always updating information for the customers and asking for feedback to make the experience better.

Cons

There is no one thing I would change. If there is something I think may have an idea or have a suggestion, I can submit to Salsa CRM. They always respond to customer feedback and review to see if in is something that can/should be implemented.

great customer service!

We are managing our database and fundraising. It has been amazing to streamline the two! We used to use several platforms for all of our needs and we found that it was nearly impossible to maintain accurate records that way, the inconsistency was inevitable. Salsa has really helped us solve that issue by creating a system (with a reasonable price tag) that talks to one another. For example, a ticket sale online will go directly into a record!

Pros

The diverse features available and they are always updating to stay current with trends! I am grateful for the constant updates and the variety of options available.

Cons

The implementation was a bit rocky but customer service worked with us a lot and we got through it! We were moving from google drive and several other platforms for ticket sales, emails, etc. so we didn't have any experience with this. It eventually all worked out and the Salsa team really stepped up to accommodate our needs.

Disjointed, kludgy, unintuitive, overly-complex, and outdated on the CRM side

We gave it our best shot. We spent days and days trying to import people - without ever really succeeding. I worked for DAYS trying to master the reporting interface. Which looks (and probably is????) extremely and outlandishly powerful. The only trouble is - its SOOOO powerful (and complicated), nobody even uses it. I finally contacted the company to ask if there were any training videos on it - and...

Pros

Salsa Engage is a new product. If they had built a CRM from the ground up, incorporating Salsa CRM components, I have a hunch it would have been better. Salsa Engage, for its part, allows one to do online forms, email groups (in a matter of speaking), and some social media integration. (But wow - they didn't.) It will indeed do those automated sequence emails (though not dependably; and strangely, when I informed their customer service that the 'drip' sequence wasn't always working, they literally said, "Yes, if

Cons

For the CRM side (Salsa CRM), they just bought an off-the-shelf product from another vendor. (DonorPro.) It's a dated interface. (Like - 1965 maybe?) (I jest. But not by much.) Then they tried to figure out a way to cobble it together with their [better] efforts in Salsa Engage. The trouble is, if a person doesn't buy access to Salsa CRM, there really is ZERO CRM. For example, one can generate a group email, of sorts, from directly in Salsa Engage. But there's really no way to jot down a mailing address with a phone number in Salsa Engage, solely. (It only accepts contacts with emails.) The whole thing seemd Kludgy, actually.

Great customer service, but conversion is a time-consuming pain.

At this time, we haven't been using Salsa CRM long enough to record any marked benefit. We're still in the problem-solving phase of post-conversion. As the Development Director, I did receive an immense benefit from sifting through the 2.5 million data fields from our conversion templates, however. I now have intimate knowledge of our constituents and our data that I didn't have before. It's given me a better view of our donor base which has allowed for the placement of fundraising strategies. If CRM and Engage would ever interphase properly, Salsa could probably make my life a lot easier. But right now, it makes it more difficult.

Pros

Customer service is awesome. I appreciate that I can call and get help instead of wading through hours of online instruction videos. Everyone I've encountered has been helpful and knowledgeable. I appreciate the ability to categorize constituents into groups. It's proven very helpful on directing messaging to appropriate constituents.

Cons

Frequently used items, such as notes and address and phone edits, aren't where one would think they would be. When learning the system, it causes a lot of frustration trying to find things. Also, there are lots of drop down menus without explanations on how each category affects the larger picture. For example, under "Edit Address," there is place to check is the address is "Home," "Business," or "Primary."...

Donna - Thank you for your thorough review. We encourage you to provide feedback directly to Salsa as we do incorporate our clients' enhancement requests into future releases. Our Director of Customer Support will be reaching out to you directly to address some of your specific issues. Regarding documentation, we do have an online user's guide that you can download if you prefer printed materials....

Fantastic customer service for a beneficial product

Pros

*Helpful and responsive customer service - Clay is wonderful! *Reporting provides fantastic and detailed snapshot

Cons

*Need training to understand how to use product; Not extremely user-friendly initially *Rather dull display

Amanda, thanks for your review and for being a longtime customer. Wanted to make you aware of Salsa Scholars, the interactive eLearning platform that contains instructor led training courses that has really shortened the learning curve for Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage users. Also, the new browser interface of Salsa CRM is much improved from the desktop interface you may have used in years past. More interface and dashboard improvements are in the works right now! If you haven't requested access to Salsa Scholars yet, you can do so by emailing educationdirector@salsalabs.com.

Importing data went very smoothly with the help of Salsa Lab personnel. Not a single glitch.

Accuracy of information. Able to research donors to determine how often they give, amount of gift, etc. Most important support from Salsa staff.

Pros

Salsa is much better than our previous experience with another vendor who will remain un-named. Generating reports is easy and the database is easy to work with. Most important to us is the support provided by Salsa. I am able to reach them during business hours and they spend the time needed to solve any issues. They are clearly customer oriented. Many others I researched charged extra for this level of service. With Salsa it is included.

Cons

Does not link to other email providers. It would be nice to be able to use Constant Contact or another email provider and have it link directly to the program. Engage is nice, but is some cases not as easy to use as are the other email service providers. Having said that we are very satisfied with our use of Salsa overall and have no plans to go looking for anyone else.

Terrible response

This has been a nightmare, time consuming work arounds.

Pros

The Engage portion is ok, email integration, but still doesn't push info into CRM, or CRM does not push to Engage.

Cons

The CRM does not work for Canadian organisations with regard to receipting - big fail! It also doesn't automatically process direct debit donations, big fail! TERRIBLE response from support team. Reports are flawed, have holes, there are more workarounds to make sure that the right things are included and excluded.

We are so sorry that your experience with Salsa has not been better. I know that members of our client success team have reached out to you to help you address your concerns. I hope that we have been able to resolve issues around the CRM and Engage integration and other items. Please reach back out to our support team or client success team any time.