Craftybase Logo

Craftybase

Inventory and manufacturing software for small businesses

Craftybase Reviews - Page 2

JD

James D.

Fine Art, 1-10 employees

Solid Product with a Moderate Learning Curve

Overall it's been good. I would recommend it to any other vendor if asked. There is absolutely some time required upfront to get it going but once that's done the automation saves me an hour hour or two each and every event we do. My time has value and even at minimum wage in my area I don't need but an event or three to have paid for the subscription each month. I've been that vendor making paper...

Pros

Sales integration and inventory are the biggest winners. Put some thought into and setup the SKU's correctly across your channels and a majority of the paperwork is taken care of for you. That's worth hours after each event. If you have relatively static items building a recipe for manufacturing inventory is almost as easy. Once those are seeded correctly it's just a minute to record that you made X number of an item. COGS is updated, stocks are updated and expenses are tracked.

Cons

Learning curve was moderately steep. This wasn't unexpected as my day job is in setting up production systems so I have an idea of the complexity that is needed. Expect to spend a moderate amount of time building and then probably heavily modifying what you setup that you thought was correct. You just don't know what you don't know until you start using it and realizing how it actually goes together...

JM

Josh M.

Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees

Crafty is Simple and Straightforward. Worth the Money

Crafty has streamlined our inventory management, with a slight learning curve and ability to handle the needs of our business. So far we are very happy with the software and excited to see how it evolves. Small issues are to be expected with such a system handling so much data everyday, the support team is friendly and efficient.

Pros

The ease of setting up everything and the user interface is very friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons

We had some trouble with the "Product Bundle" process when compenentizing our products, a lot of our wholesale sales channels include "Tester" products which is the same as the product. This created duplicates of products in Crafty which resulted in us having to spend more time fixing issues.

AL

Adam L.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Craftybase is our go-to Inventory management!

We have loved the overall experience, and haven't found anything even close to what Craftybase is capable of. It is an essential part of our workflow, and helping us maintain inventory, and recipes. We truly value Craftybase and would recommend to anyone that is a maker, crafter, or in need of solid inventory management.

Pros

We love the ease of use with Craftybase. We have a ton of items that we sell indiviually as ingredients, as well as combined to make other products on our shelves. Craftybase allows us to build these "components" as well keeping track of each individual ingredient. This is by far the most accurate and easiest way we've found to keep track of inventory, and recipes.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve when first starting out, but that is mostly because we had to learn the terms that Craftybase uses, and the functionality behind some of the features. There are tons of good walk-throughs in the system, as well as good examples. Customer service isn't the most reachable. If you have a question, it may take a day to hear back, and they only have email. There is no live chat, or phone support. There's no onboarding calls or dedicated support staff to really help you hit the ground running, so you'll have to spend some time really learning the system, and try and send questions that you don't need immediate answers to.

SH

Shelly H.

Luxury Goods & Jewelry, self-employed

Lifesaving (and marriage saving)!

They are responsive, fix problems when they arise, they are excellent at walking you through what it is you need to do to achieve your task. It's been a life saver for me since I still have a day job and takes some of the nitty gritty record keeping off my hands through automations.

Pros

It's online and supports multiple sales channels. It pulls items out of my inventory and has been a life/marriage saver at tax time (I'm a sole proprietorship) and it's ease of use for tallying annual reports is fabulous. I do handcrafts so QuickBooks really is not designed for this industry.

Cons

The tech support is great and they work really quickly to get back to you in short time. In an ideal world, it would be 24/7, but their response time is great.

RS

Ricquel S.

Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees

Excellent Way to Keep Up with COGS, Inventory and Profit Margins

I love this program and recommend it frequently! I don't know of any other programs that let you keep track of inventory the way a crafter needs to, especially if you make some of your own components for the items you sell. It's amazing!

Pros

I love that you can set up everything to auto-manufacture so you don't have to go in and manually do it after every sale. It's pretty much on auto-pilot which saves a TON of time. It's also great that if you have two Etsy shops that still only counts as one Sales Channel.

Cons

I wish it didn't automatically import everything on the next import after you sign up. It would have been very helpful to just be able to import a little bit at a time to make sure everything is set up and functioning properly. There is a pretty big learning curve, but only because it is dealing with SO MUCH information. Auto manufacture is amazing, but a lot of us don't keep everything we need...

NA

Navine A.

Cosmetics, self-employed

Craftybase affordable option

Craftybase is not bad apart from the sales channel issue for me and it’s functionality maybe limiting as you begin to grow or you need more efficiency keeping inventory across several platforms. It is great for start up.

Pros

It is affordable for start ups compare to the bigger systems like trunk and gets the job done.

Cons

I hate the integration with the sales channels as it is very limited. I have been waiting for them to integrate with bigcommerce for 2 years now and their integration with square is horrible because it doesn’t bring in the items purchased and customer details. Instead it comes as a custom order and so it does pull from the inventory which means I have to delete the imported sales and re - enter it so it reduces the inventory. Time consuming.

Hi Navine - sorry to hear you have had some issues with our Square integration. To confirm, Craftybase does fully import line item product details and customer data from Square so it does sound like something is going wrong here - please do get in touch with us via support and we'll be happy to take a look into this for you.

LE

Lisa E.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

A must for made-to-order businesses

I couldn't run my business without craftybase. I run a jewelry shop with thousands of orders per year. I've got over 200 skus with 70 variations each and CB makes it simple to create product recipes, manufactures, and adjust inventory. There is some initial setup for variations but after that it's all automated.v taxes are a breeze with this software

Pros

-automatically imports orders from multiple channels -automatically creates manufactures for products and decreases material stock levels -keeps track of all my expenses -provides tons of various reports to help during tax time -customer service is easy to reach and always helpful

Cons

There's nothing I don't like about craftybase!

KS

Kristin S.

Apparel & Fashion, self-employed

So powerful! It's worth the money.

Helps me organize my hundreds and hundreds of styles/types/colors of materials. Integrates nicely with multiple sales platforms.

Pros

The power in this is amazing! I can search through all my materials by color or fiber content or size or date purchased, etc. It's a lifesaver for me to be able to see my materials with photos and all the data I need. The recipes/manufactures and the way it calculates COGS is super powerful. I can start typing the name of the material and enter the amount — and it calculates the actual cost of materials used based on date of manufacture. Very helpful for makers who have some supply left of an old lower price and new supply purchased at a higher price. Craftybase will average the cost to figure out what your current COGS is.

Cons

Being a cloud software, it requires a subscription, which is a bit pricey. And there have been periods of downtime (though they communicate well about outages in the Facebook group). It takes a while to set everything up, and there is a bit of a learning curve.

KH

Katie H.

Excellent product for crafters

Craftybase let's me get an accurate picture of what actual COGS I'm selling are, and makes it easy to track inventory consigned over multiple locations. Responsive customer support, too.

Pros

Ability to integrate with other platforms and easily track sales and expenses. Actually costing out to get COGS is definitely high on the list.

Cons

There are some limits to reporting - there are some improvements that can be made in that area.

CL

Colleen L.

Great Product

Very Positive and has been a huge influence on our spending control, material and product organization and also tax time.

Pros

It has helped us realize our disorganization with materials and where we may have spent unnecessary money. Also has been an amazing help with ensuring that we are charging properly for our product.

Cons

The only issue we have had is not a problem with Craftybase but more with how we run our business. It did take some time for me to understand how everything connected within the program, but they do have good tutorials, which I should have read ahead of time. We discovered during our set up that we were not consistent across our sales channels with product names which caused extra work on our part but was again our fault. The program has made us think a lot more about the business side and organizing everything.

GP

Grace P.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Big learning curve but well thought out

I have faith that Craftybase will prove to be the right option for us. I think that once I *do* have it set up to fit our particular business, that it will be immensely helpful and far superior to the excel spreadsheets we were using.

Pros

The price point is excellent for the functions that you get in return. You can get technical support through email and they are quick to respond and very professional with their help.

Cons

Switching over from my previous inventory system to CraftyBase has been a HUGE learning curve. It's taken me so many hours of research and back and forth communication with their customer service team to try and set things up for my businesses particular situation. I'm still not properly set up after exchanging over 40 emails with them (wish they offered a tier where you could get direct phone support with an approved Craftybase consultant).

SP

Sandra P.

Consumer Goods, self-employed

Great Service! Very quick response time

Very good. I would recommend it to friends.

Pros

All my Etsy information automatically filters in. I can easily keep track of my expenses and revenue and know exactly where I am for the month. I love the ability to build recipes for a product before I actually make it to see where I would need to price it to be profitable.

Cons

Shipping cost are not allocated to the order automatically. I would love to be able to add packing materials to the cost of the order and to be able to keep track of the packing material inventory at the same time.

JR

Jen R.

Cosmetics, self-employed

Overall Great App

Pros

Good value, good customer service, gets the job done! As long as I keep manufactures and supply purchases up to date, my inventory is accurate and the program helps me not run out of materials, or over-purchase.

Cons

I still find it challenging to nearly impossible bundle products for promotional items or gift sets, even with being in their Facebook group and hearing tips from other users. It isn't intuitive in the program to bundle items together. Rather, other users share how they make it work.

Kathryn H.

Used other for 6-12 months

Affordable inventory management for makers

I wish I had Craftybase when I started making in 2011 because it's daunting trying to start from scratch with so many products that contain components I make as well as common materials. Adding new components with new products would be more manageable. All my items include components I manufacture myself (laser cutting. painting) so having to enter "recipes" for all components individually is tedious....

Pros

Designed for solo crafters or small businesses Affordable pricing Accommodates both raw materials and components I manufacture (many small business products are for retailers who buy and resell finished goods)

Cons

Does not permit copying recipes for components, just final products Does not generate pick lists to manufacture orders Must set up for either creating batches for inventory or creating products for specific orders, and I have different product lines that fit one model or the other but can't justify dual subscriptions to set them up as separate businesses Not integrated with Xero for accounting

JW

Jacqueline W.

Arts and Crafts, self-employed

I love having my customers all in one place with orders and supplies

Pros

That I can do everything for my business on it

Cons

It’s hard to understand in the beginning and no one to talk to just email

LD

Laura D.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Awesome Software

The customer service has been exceptional from the very start of this service and has not waned as they have gotten bigger. They always email me back within a few days if not the next day with a great answer that solves my issue or they tell me when my issue will be solved or put me on an email list for updates about the feature I request.

Pros

I like being the robustness of the reports craftybase offers. I like how it helps me to track my inventory in a detailed way. I like how it helps me figure out the cost of my item and helps me to automatically figure out the least amount I should charge for it on each channel. It integrates with my accounts on amazon and shopify, which makes inventory a breeze.

Cons

I don't love paying every month. Also, recently, I had to do some projections for how much of something to buy. I'd like it to have a feature that would look at my average usage of something over the last year, per month, and how much was currently in stock to tell me how much I should by.

SF

Stefanie F.

Retail, self-employed

CraftyBase fills the niche of inventory software for craft businesses

After entering in my materials used, I can link them to my finished products so that I know exactly what inventory I have on hand and which products I can make at any time. Craftybase also automatically imports orders from various sources, which are mapped to my products. So, when it's time to fulfill orders I can see which products I need to make based on my orders, exactly the materials needed, and can easily track my production, which decreases my material count in real time. So my material inventory is always precisely up-to-date, and I can order supplies when I need them. It helps to keep me super organized with minimal effort to make sure my business runs smoothly.

Pros

It's absolutely perfect for my needs of running a small jewelry business. It keeps track of my supply inventory and how each material relates to finished products, to customer sales and production of those finished products. It's cloud based, which means I can check my orders and inventory from anywhere, and each section is intuitively linked to other sections, making it the only software I need to fully track my inventory and orders.

Cons

Nothing, honestly. It does everything I wanted it to, and intuitively.

MB

Mary B.

Retail, self-employed

Perfect for small craft business owners!

Craftybase is essential to helping me run my Handmade Etsy-based small business in addition to my 9-5 job, and everyday duties of 'homeowner', 'wife' and 'mom'. It is a great tool to streamline major business functions.

Pros

I can enter all my materials (in my case: various beads, wire, packaging materials, etc) and even set "recipes" for popular items so that when someone purchases an item, I can "Manufacture" it in the software and my materials are automatically deducted according to the recipe I set. I then get warnings anytime a specific material runs low. It's literally hands-off inventory management!

Cons

It's a LOT of data to input in the beginning. The time invested up front is well worth it though!

LS

Lesli S.

Consumer Goods, 1-10 employees

Good, and hoping it will become great

Overall, I like it, and I appreciate that they keep adding features. The inventory system is really necessary for someone like me, and there are very few programs at this price point that will do it.

Pros

The software does the thing a small manufacturer like me needs most: keeps an inventory of supplies, manufactures, etc. It does it well, for the most part. It also handles multiple sales channels well, and gives me a good idea of costs.

Cons

The difficulty comes when you, say, want to sell off some of your inventory, or make a gift basket from your manufactured goods, or sometimes sell a pack of two instead of one. The software does not handle that well at all. It also isn't a full-fledged bookeeping program (you can't issue a credit, for instance). I'm not sure it needs to be, but it is a caveat.

JF

Justin F.

Way Better Than Spreadsheets

Pros

The ease of use in setup and management made it a great choice and a huge improvement over traditional spreadsheet management. One of the determining factors for me was being able to create and sell bundles that include multiple products that I had trouble finding with other tools. It also integrates easily with a number of viable eCommerce platforms.

Cons

I would love to see more feature related to managing finances like cash flow, balance sheets, and financial planning tools

KR

Kasia R.

Consumer Goods, 1-10 employees

Amazing and a must-have for any business!

It's been great to work with Craftybase. Their support is very responsive and provides the quality customer service it's hard to come by. One feature we just discovered was bundles and we are now are able to offer bundled products with an easy and no need for manual entry each week.

Pros

We used to use spreadsheets to keep track of our inventory and raw materials until I discovered CraftyBase. It was one of the best investments we've made. Software is super easy to use, provides many tools and features to keep track of not only inventory and materials but also orders, different locations where our products are sold. It's all-in-one type of software that any business should have.

Cons

Ability to sync to regular Amazon inventory/order system.

Hi Kasia! Thanks for the review - you'll be pleased to hear that our Amazon integration is available for any US marketplace store, not just for Amazon Handmade :)

Michelle D.

Retail, self-employed

It's what every artisan needs

Once I understood that it takes time and effort to start using (and then keep using) Craftybase, it became much easier to run my business. I actually let Craftybase run ME. The customer service is top-notch (although I do wish they didn't run on UK time) and I'd be lost without it.

Pros

I love this software because the developers understand how a small manufacturing business works. They don't load you down with confusing features - just what you need when you need it. It has helped me get completely organized with raw materials, track all production, determine pricing and just basically keep everything straight. If you're a maker and you're not using it, you need to be.

Cons

I sometimes feel the software tries to be all things to all people. I really don't see why the accounting aspects are necessary and feel they are sometimes lacking.

KF

Kaesha F.

Consumer Goods, self-employed

Great Software for most craft businesses

Overall I have found Craftybase to be useful and I will continue to use this software. If my business were structured a bit different, with less products and a condensed material base I would say this software is perfect.

Pros

I love that I can track materials I use and that each material can be linked to several different products. I can quickly see which materials I need to buy. I also love that I do not have to manually enter any of my sales and my daily accounting is done automatically. I can easily compare sales this month to sales this month last year without having to do any calculations on my own.

Cons

There is a lot of set up to get the materials all entered and then assign them to the products. I sell over 100 products in my shop with each one requiring many different materials. By the time I had every material entered and connected to all my products I had already discontinued some products and added others. My shop is a little too complex to be handled by just myself. To make this software work for me I would need to hire someone to help with updating the inventory numbers, yet I am to small to afford help. This software would be perfect for a shop with 10-30 products if the products only use a couple of materials each. I also don't like that I have to manually attach my shipping costs to the correlating order.

LG

Lydia G.

Do Your Research!

Meh, I’m switching to another provider soon

Pros

It accurately tracks ingredients for my recipes

Cons

It does not sync with BigCommerce, there is a lag MOST of the time when updating information, the price is outrageous compared to other options on the market today

Dear Lydia, Thank you for sharing your feedback. We appreciate your honesty and are pleased to hear about your positive experience with accurately tracking ingredients in Craftybase. We understand your disappointment regarding the lack of integration with BigCommerce. While it's not currently available, it's on our radar for potential future integration. If you'd like updates on this, please let...

tb

tammie b.

Retail, self-employed

mostly good, but needs features.

i am sort of solving inventory issues, but there could certainly be a lot more automated features to take a lot of time off the process. if it could automatically update inventory in e-commerce systems and if it could send automatic emails to me when a product gets low, that would be hugely beneficial.

Pros

I like that it helps you price your goods including labor costs. it is pretty easy to use if you know the terminology of inventory. i also really like that it allows for consignment which a lot of other software does not. it allows for manual entry of orders which many other software programs do not.

Cons

i don't like that it doesn't update shopify or other ecommerce sites. so i have to update inventory in craftybase and then also go into shopify and update inventory there as well. you can set low inventory alerts, but it doesn't notify you, so you have to manually go in and check periodically to see which products are running low. seems to defeat the purpose of an alert. it also doesn't sync with bookkeeping systems or shipping systems.