Handshake Reviews

4.49/5 (112 reviews)

Pros
  • Handshake was perfect for what we were doing and very affordable. It is refreshing to have a system like this available to small businesses.Meagan D.Read the full review
  • They're a fun and lively team, with their finger on the pulse, constantly building on an already great product.Jane G.Read the full review
  • Great customer service, very knowledgeable and courteous. They have a great team at Handshake- from the CEO to the Customer Support Specialists.Tina S.Read the full review
Cons
  • At times there are syncing errors, and orders are missed. Not often, but it does happen.Lisa D.Read the full review
  • No tech support, lost emails, ruins credibility.Laura K.Read the full review
  • Some postings aren’t reputable, postings can be scams. There needs to be more screening toward employers who create posts.Karina S.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Tina Scott

Save Time with Handshake

Reviewed 2015-08-10

We provided our 65 sales reps with iPad back in 2010 and wanted to utilize it to it's full extent with apps that saved the sales reps time and saved us money. Handshake accomplished both of those. Back then- sales reps were handwriting order forms and faxing them to our customer service dept. Then we had 4 people in our home office manually entering those orders! That is so much wasted time on both sides and there was a lot of room for error. With Handshake- our sales reps can easily find the product, show the images to their account, and place the order within a few minutes. Then the order is sent directly into our system- no more manual data entry. Time saved by the sales rep- 1-2 hours each day, which means they could see an extra customer during the day (and make another sale!) or not have to work at night. Time saved by the home office 4-5 hours per day. Now 2 of those 4 people in our home office have been moved to other open positions in the department, saving us money that would have been spent hiring someone new. Overall the experience with Handshake has been exceptional. It's a great product, easy to use and very efficient. We now have over 200 sales reps internationally that have been using Handshake for almost 4 years and they love it!

Pros
Great customer service, very knowledgeable and courteous. They have a great team at Handshake- from the CEO to the Customer Support Specialists. There are no regrets with choosing Handshake for our sales rep ordering tool.

Cons
Just keep doing what you are doing Handshake!

Theresa Hilleby

Really great wholesale support

Reviewed 2020-01-05

It’s such a great tool for accounts placing orders, seeing their options, even viewing high res images and sizing options. It’s really easy to update with new releases.

Pros
Handshake is a great tool for sales reps to place orders in the field. It also lets you have a direct b2b site for your accounts to place orders any time of the day. Best part: your reps can use it offline! So they can place orders anytime and then sync up when they have service.

Cons
Ever since Shopify obtained handshake, the customer support has gone downhill. They take a while to respond. But when they do, they do help you figure things out. Your best bet is to not have things go wrong.

Kerry Pearce

Have not written an order for over 3 years

Reviewed 2015-08-04

For producing orders quickly and reliably there is no equivalent app for electronic devices. it is slick and easy to use for my sales team. I use it on my iPhone 6 plus as my preferred device for creating orders as the iPad is sometimes not on me so I can run everything from this device including upto date sales reports. If a customer rings I can do the order there and then while on handsfree. I have all there sales history and the sales can be confirmed, emailed to client and in the office within seconds of saying good bye to my client. It does not get any better than this for creating orders.

Pros
Not complicated Can be used on iPhone or iPad Very very quick and we have thousands of skus and each reps produces up to10 orders a day and we have had not a single issue in 3 years Customer history is an invaluable sales tool Customer support the best I've ever experienced considering we are in Australia and there in USA Product matrix or variants

Cons
Not a single Con but Wishlist Able to produce a customer credit easily Customer history sorted there category in addition to the default date taken A user field that can be used to sort and filter customers by a unique run code A 4x2 grid or similar for showing product catalogue as we have to many products for the single item view

Corine Toren

Great for University Students!

Reviewed 2019-11-09

Overall I would say that my experience with Handshake has been very good. I think that Handshake offers a lot of opportunities for students, besides just job opportunities. It also lists campus events and question/answer forums where students can ask about specific jobs or the job hunting process. It also lets you schedule appointments which is great if you are on campus.

Pros
I think that Handshake is really good for University students to use. My University uses it and every student automatically gets an account. Handshake is also good at trying to tailor recommended jobs according to your preferences. It also gives students the opportunity to connect with other students and ask questions about the job hunting process.

Cons
What I least like about this software is that it enables anyone to send you messages like spam and people who are "recruiting" for jobs that have nothing to do with your industry. It is annoying to get an email about someone trying to offer my a job as a teacher when my industry is actually software engineering.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Spencer Beesley

Disappointing partnership

Reviewed 2019-05-09

This is absolutely the worst company we have partnered with in my 12 years with my business. Their customer service is simply horrible and I'm worried they almost got shut down because they weren't PCI compliant even though they told us they were. They gave us 2 days. Yes, 2 days to find a new CC processor and have it setup. You can only use their specific processors which don't even work with all of their tech. Their processors costs $6000 more than what we were currently paying and Handshake refused to help in that cost. The process we have to do now is different than what was initially presented to us. They switched it mid contract and then refused to refund a prorated amount. It's highway robbery in my mind. Be very cautious of anything you sign with them. Even then they'll just end up changing it mid way through the contract. Absolutely disappointed in a company that would conduct business like that.

Pros
I liked the simplicity of it. It is a very basic system.

Cons
Disappointed in the promises made about the product and the contract put in place. Horrible to pay up front for the year.

Likelihood to recommend: 0/10

Meagan Duncan

Using Handshake at Tradeshows

Used occasionally for 2+ years
Reviewed 2019-09-11

In our business, we do trade shows with sales teams and then we also do trade shows without sales teams. When we do the shows on our own, we need our own ordering software. Handshake was perfect for what we were doing and very affordable. It is refreshing to have a system like this available to small businesses.

Pros
The ease of use and modern interface are great! Adding customers, accepting payment, printing order copies was all very easy with Handshake. The ability to pay for the service in small time periods was very accommodating to our business. Other services required longer contracts, were more expensive, and less user friendly.

Cons
Since it was not our main ordering software, we were not able to use all of the features to our highest advantage. That is not really a fault of Handshake, however.

Meg Klaers Yatchak

Happy Handshaker

Reviewed 2018-11-16

Working with the Handshake team to launch the app and online experience to our teams and customers was nearly flawless. Some programs can cause "pain and suffering" but I've never been frustrated with using the system. I think that's partly because the Handshake onboarding team taught me so well but also because the software is so easy to use.

Pros
Handshake has brought efficiencies to our sales and fulfillment process. We've also been able to use it to take our inventory, saving us hundreds of hours of manual work. Our branches are able to fulfill orders faster which makes our customers happier too! HSDO has helped our customers order more product from us and opened up time to have more meaningful conversations with our reps too.

Cons
This is quite minor but I wish there was a bit more I could do for our online, customer facing portal. But really, that's just a cherry on top.

Handshake for Career Services

Reviewed 2019-08-01

We use this software to post jobs for our students and alumni at the undergraduate and graduate level. We also use this for all career services related events to be communicated to our students and employers.

Pros
The intuitive nature of the design, how it mirrors facebook/linkedin, that it makes job searching easily social.

Cons
It would be nice if you could automatically accept any employer with above a specific trust score as it would save time approving each employer.

Excellent Resource for Internships and Full Time Employment Opportunities

Reviewed 2019-12-03

Positive experience, but would like to continue to see improvements or update to the software to make it even better.

Pros
Handshake can be used by employers and for college students seeking employment. Internships, co-op opportunities, and full time employment positions can be posted/updated here. College students are able to create an individual profile and update their resume information as needed. They can also apply for jobs directly through handshake, because it will take them to the employers website.

Cons
I wish some of the notifications could be more filtered than they already are. Some students complain they are sent way too many emails from Handshake.

Anonymous

Was good, but not the best.

Reviewed 2019-12-06

Overall it was effective in helping me find a job, but wasn't the easiest to use and navigate.

Pros
Handshake helped me connect with potential employers and tracked each of my applications so I could easily see what stage each application was at. Very useful to manage multiple applications.

Cons
There wasn't really any way to reach out directly to employers. The only way was just through the application link. That may be intentional to root out the excessive contact from potential employees who just want a job.

Valencia West

Makes writing orders or suggested orders quick and easy.

Reviewed 2017-11-21

Makes writing my orders very quick and convenient; valuable organized history of customers' orders, as well as a professional looking format for order confirmations or suggested orders.

Pros
Visual format, makes order easily readable by customer. Quick and easy to reference previous orders and info.

Cons
"Syncing data" sometimes goes on for minutes, sometimes I just have to take the order on my notes app and fill in handshake later when it's done syncing. Location services to auto-fill our orders' location would be nice. And integration with our promo pricing (pricescripting) so orders display actual current WS would be helpful, both for informing customers what their order total will be as well as confirming to me the promo pricing will be applied. Not sure if this last point is possible as it involves two separate programs (netsuite and handshake)

Kevin Jacobs

This program makes order writing and submission easier than ever

Reviewed 2017-11-20

Pros
Writing, confirming, and tracking Purchase orders is simple for factories, reps, and customers. Order writing can happen while walking on the sales floor with the buyer and looking directly at the current inventory on hand. Many Customers do not track their Purchase orders very well...so we are able to send them a copy instantly to their email....and they never "don't remember placing the order". orders can be easily split for multiple ship dates.

Cons
information in the order history changes when products are discontinued. It makes finding replacement with current product offerings more difficult.

larry winderbaum

HS is a great order writing app. it has changed my life, my company's life & my sales reps lives

Reviewed 2017-11-20

as i explained in all the other questions, handshake simplifies and speeds up order writing, order transmission, submitting possible orders to clients, the many reports help alot, and on and on. handshake is AN INDISPENSABLE PART OF MY BUSINESS. don't know how i got along with out it, and don't know how i could get along without it in the future. keep up the good work

Pros
handshake is easy to use, lots of options, speeds up the order writing & transmission process, great customer service

Cons
there are some features that i wish could be changed, and most eventually get changed, but not all for example, i wish a product could be listed on more than one category

Michael Isenberg

Happy handshaking

Reviewed 2018-10-30

Great. We are able to service customers with technology that is advanced and feels cutting edge. Customers love the pictures and being to see you new items. We’re now starting to offer programs through handshake and I have also benefit from having an online website which is in past What is an underappreciated feature by chex.

Pros
We get hundreds of handshake orders every week from customers big and small. The onboarding was fantastic and I enjoyed my weekly calls with their integration specialist. The software was flexible and was able to adapt to our company needs.

Cons
The sync had unanticipated challenges and though improvements are being made created some issues for customers. The development has been slow for custom features that are company specify.

James Therrien

Handshake is what you need for POS

Reviewed 2018-11-09

Extremely easy to use and effective software, outstanding responsive support. Highly recommend company and product.

Pros
Handshake makes inventory management, POS, product upload a breeze. Beyond, handling our POS, we often turn to handshake just to quickly access skus and product images as reference because of its ease of use. It also serves as our primary source for CSV organized exchange of product and price information. Highly recommended.

Cons
Would like to see it on Android as well as iOS.

Chrissy Bellers

I love that it is easy, simple, and quick!

Reviewed 2017-11-15

Pros
What I like most about Handshake is that it is a simple set up process to enter customers and products and customer service is great! It also has Q & A section and tutorials available which is so helpful.

Cons
What I like least about the software is that it needs to be available on tablets also not just ipads/iphones. I would also like to be able to run reports from the desktop version instead of switching between the ipad and computer.

William Wade

Happy Rep agency

Reviewed 2018-11-20

I have been using Handshake for over 5 years and it’s helped me grow my business from one rep to 10. We sell products for 16 different manufactures and it’s has become my teams sales catalog. Can’t see doing outside sales any other way.

Pros
Simplicity of order entry for my reps in the field and the ease of updating multiple lines.

Cons
It not available for other platforms like android or windows. Price breaks do not add up when a product has multiple variants.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Jose Guerra

I have found the app easier to use than other apps in the past.

Reviewed 2018-04-18

It saves me a lot of time in placing my orders and I like that it gives me a total for my order right away.

Pros
I like the ease of finding products by category and brands, I often skip ordering from another vendor because using handshake will save me time.

Cons
I don't like that when using the camera feature I have to press camera before every use, I would be happier if after each scan it would just automatically go to my camera.

Bethany Therrien

Great for Trade Shows

Used occasionally for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2018-11-16

Pros
I love that it includes images and sends the customer pictures of what they ordered. We have a Christmas-based business and sometimes our customers will buy something in February that they don't want shipped to them until October so being able to remind them with pictures of what they ordered is fabulous.

Cons
Does not track inventory levels. I would love to put my inventory numbers in before a trade show so that I don't oversell beyond what I have in stock. It would also be great if we could invoice customers. We have a Christmas-based business and sometimes our customers will buy something in February that they don't want shipped to them until October so we often don't collect payment information from them at the time that they order. Then we have to call them before we ship their order to collect credit card information. I would love to be able to email them and invoice them directly from Handshake.

Jessica Shields

I use handshake to enter orders in my role in outside sales.

Reviewed 2018-01-12

Pros
I love being able to enter orders in the field, so they are place din real time. The product images are right next to the description, making it very easy to review the orders with the customer.

Cons
I wish there was a way to integrate the items that are out of stock with this software, so we would not be able to place an item that is currently out of stock. Right now we have to make sure we are always aware of what is on the out of stock report, which our company sends as a daily email.

Isaiah Lee

Saves hours of time on order entry.

Reviewed 2018-04-23

Saving hours of order entry time and order taking time.

Pros
I like most about eliminating double entry of orders. It connects automatically into our accounting software. It's great to take the app as our catalog and skim through the products with a breeze. Being able to email the customer the copy of the order with the images is a great feature.

Cons
When syncing, it's hard to troubleshoot what could cause the error. The system doesn't tell us exactly what is causing the sync error. UPC numbers has input manually. It doesn't sync with the accounting software automatically. Also new items takes longer to setup due to manual UPC update.

Alan Rush

Handshake is a Small Business’s Best Friend

Reviewed 2018-11-20

Handshake really simplifies my order processing experience. Both at trade shows and in the studio, Handshake adds a level of professionalism in the appearance and clarity of the order and shipping-related documents we create. And the customer service team at Handshake is great to work with and very responsive to even our most trivial questions.

Pros
Handshake software is easy to use and makes order-taking and acknowledgement a snap - particularly in busy trade show environments. Product lists are easy to load and update. While I don’t use it yet, I’m excited at the prospect of using the invoicing function as well

Cons
It would be nice to be able to update the product list on my iPad as well as on my laptop

Brian Schomaeker

Handshake has made entering and submitting orders incredibly easy and efficient....love it!

Reviewed 2018-04-17

Pros
Able to fix mistakes easily. Can change and duplicate orders in a flash. It flows extremely well with between customers and inventory.

Cons
They added the ability to take notes on a customer...so nothing comes to mind. The fact that there are constant updates, means that it is constantly improving.

emily tagget

Dependable, Effective, User friendly

Reviewed 2017-11-14

Every customer now receives a well written, organized packing slip and invoice. Each order gets taken to the back for other workers to start pulling it and now there is less waiting time since there is hardly any confusion.

Pros
I enjoy how easy it is to use, I love the simple format and it makes my job a lot more easier and organized.

Cons
I don't like how sometimes it will crash..Although it always comes back with the option to go back to the order you were working on. There's not much else to say!

GreatProduct

Reviewed 2018-11-16

Easy to use as long as it is only on one devise. I use to have it both on my iPad and iPhone but they could not since correctly.

Pros
Easy to use to send packing list or quotes to customers.

Cons
It would be nice to have a sub category. In other words having location 1 with a list of product and then location 2 etc.