Casual Reviews

Casual

Visual online project management for non-professional PMs

4.84/5 (37 reviews)

Pros
  • Starfinder Foundation is a nonprofit, sports-based youth development organization dedicated to inspiring young people from underserved communities to achieve success both on and off the field.Katherine S.Read the full review
  • Ease of use across many facets within the company. Fantastic customer support form Victor and Kat.Joseph B.Read the full review
  • The unique approach is amazing for a business like mine that completes very similar projects repeatedly for different clients.Don O.Read the full review
Cons
  • This software does not have a module r portion for risk tracking or risk management.David A.Read the full review
  • The lack of an indefinite free tier I found a bit disappointing but understandable.Nikolas G.Read the full review
  • Some kind of stuffs is not intuitive. Ungrouping tasks is awful.Daniel B.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Katherine Stepkowicz

Casual helps the Starfinder Foundation do what it does best - help Philly youth succeed

Reviewed 2017-01-25

Starfinder Foundation is a nonprofit, sports-based youth development organization dedicated to inspiring young people from underserved communities to achieve success both on and off the field. Soccer is the hook: success in school, in the community, and in the pursuit of higher education is the goal. Founded in 2002, Starfinder was created to engage young people in great soccer programs that build their athletic skills while providing them with the kind of support – adult mentoring, health education, academic assistance, and leadership development – that helps them build a foundation for long-term success in their lives. Starfinder currently serves over 400 children and teens annually through after-school and summer programs at its facility in Manayunk and at community partner sites throughout the city. Starfinder was really in need of a tool to help us manage our marquee events (Starfinder Cup, Senior Leader Graduation and Cocktails with a Kick). As you can imagine, when you have a small staff (6 full-time employees) managing program and fundraising together means you have to be as efficient as you can when big events are added to the mix. Casual allows us to visually scope out our event management, add timelines, and assign responsibilities. The emails that automatically update staff every day on the critical tasks and dates that are looming, makes it easy to integrate our everyday work on behalf of kids with the project work needed to execute a successful event as well.

Pros
The charm of the product is its simplicity and intuitive easy-to-use, easy-to-figure-out interface. Starfinder needed a tool that everyone could use and understand organically, while also providing us with the robustness of features that would make teamwork and collaboration possible; such as, easy to download project plans, task notifications via email, and the ability to visualize the project as a visual mapping.

Cons
Complex projects might be difficult to setup in Casual. Our projects have a good deal of detail and moving parts due to resource constraints, but in reality, they are not overly complex.

Jennifer Ann McGetrick

Casual is for Academic Research Teams, too!

Reviewed 2018-04-01

Pros
Casual is perfect for academic research teams needing to coordinate complex projects with multiple streams of activity and deadlines, but without the extensive project management resources of a corporate team. The interface is clean and crisp, very easy to navigate, and effective. Having a tool that works for you rather than the other way around frees up the research team to do what it does best ;-)

Cons
I am looking forward to a few more features that I think would be helpful and are in the pipeline- for example, the ability to PDF the workflows captured in groups would be really helpful (currently I just copy and paste those into a top level project as a workaround, but the functionality would be nice) :-)

David Zhang

A simple project tracking app

Reviewed 2017-01-20

I'm using Casual to track my tasks for multiple projects. I'm the only user. I like how easily and visually I could set the task dependencies. It really helps me flushing out the course of actions. Many other scheduling apps do this but nowhere to the extent as clean and intuitive as Casual.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Anthony Alleyne

Casual PM - Project Management At It's Most Finest

Reviewed 2017-06-08

I've been looking for a product management solution that would integrate within my workflow for sometime. All of them lacked something or the other. Casual has everything and more. Also, because I need to check certain things when away from my computer, the iOS app makes Casual stand out from the crowd, as it allows an instant check to be done, without having to spend the time logging into a non-optimised web app. This has now transformed my working life. I'm much more productive than before, am able to send workflow's and deadlines to collaborators in an easily digestible flow diagram form, and now genuinely have a competitive advantage.

Pros
Ease of use, iOS App, ability to generate flow diagram PDF's and url's on the fly, regular updates.

Cons
Customer service could be more responsive to direct enquiries and requests. Even if the answer is no.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

celine maurin

Easy to use and great for team work

Reviewed 2017-09-13

Pros
I like how I can easily set dependencies between tasks and have my colleagues (or me) informed when a task is available for execution. Visual aspect is also clear to know where we are.

Cons
Removing dependencies (arrows) in Chrome doesn't work very well. I have to work in Firefox to do so. I don't use dead-lines, I would rather have a duration to set for each task. Multi-selection works very bad, I would like to be able to draw a rectangle around tasks to select them all

Martijn Bloemen

Great project management tool!

Reviewed 2017-10-26

Pros
The way task dependencies are made visual makes it really easy to communicate with others on the project progress and keep the project flow going. Bottlenecks and potential threats to the project are easily spotted so they can be avoided or mitigated in time. Also a great feature is to be able to use a previous project and clone it for a next project. This makes it easy to create generic project roadmaps and quickly build up a new similar project. The app/website is still under active development so there is active follow-up on bugs and new features still coming. Kudos to the support team! Quick feedback every time.

Mike Sargent

Useful, Intuitive App

Reviewed 2017-01-23

My company (property management) uses Casual to track many of its common admin tasks. It keeps processes on-task and allows me to monitor activity and status. I recommend it.

Don O'Neill

One month in

Reviewed 2017-12-01

Pros
The unique approach is amazing for a business like mine that completes very similar projects repeatedly for different clients. It ticks off a bunch of features that have been on my "wish list" for a team task manager for a long time. In fact, when I found Casual I was in the process of programming one just for our company because none that we have tried had all the features we wanted. But now we're going all in with Casual for managing project tasks across a team. It's super easy to use - much less of a learning curve than Slack, Trello or Asana.

Cons
I wish it had more integration options, such as IFTTT or Zapier (IFTTT would be better). It may not be the right choice for a business where every project is completely different.

Edward W. Lui

Great project management software for collaboratoin

Reviewed 2017-09-20

Pros
Great tool to collaborate with my team of around 10 people. Can create templates that save a lot of time.

Cons
Can be slow to load and have to log out and log in to fix. No undo feature. Would be nice to have more options when designing projects

Joseph Beaty

Causal.pm is wonderful!

Reviewed 2017-09-14

My team at Bongiovi Acoustics and Medical use Casual.pm because of it's ease of use. We're a unique team that needs to bridge the gap between business, creative, and engineering.

Pros
Ease of use across many facets within the company. Fantastic customer support form Victor and Kat!

Cons
Android and iOS apps are limited.

Gourav Arora

This tool is very helpful when you are working with multiple teams.

Reviewed 2018-03-25

It helps in managing my offshore team.

Pros
The best thing I like is the layout for tasks. You can set a start date and end date and also assign an executor to a task. It helps you to manage tasks between small teams. You can also change the status once a step has been completed. I use this tool for tasks management only and it has all the features which are required to manage the tasks. It is very helpful when you are with offshore teams.

Cons
I am totally satisfied with the performance of the system. I liked it very much. No cons from my side.

Claudia Suiffet

Used in projects that required many task to be perfomed by many ressources following an strict order

Reviewed 2018-03-08

It helped us get organized and make sure we didn't forget a step of the process.

Pros
that we can plan in advance the sequence of tasks to be done and that all ressources receive email notifications when the tasks are completed

Cons
that we are not informed when the perso that is responsible to execute a task starts working on it, we are only notified when it's completed

Hannable McGarity

Helpful for me (I'm not very organized)

Reviewed 2019-02-27

Very good for helping me stay on track - have recommended to many people.

Pros
I was looking a free to low cost tool to help me visually track progress on some work related issues. I quickly liked how easy to manipulate and adjust the project pages were. Bought a 10 user subscription, and have added some coworkers into the fray. Really good product.

Cons
I do not like visually ow the cells appear when being used a group - There may be a way to enhance their appearance and I have not figured it out yet, but if not, that.s a tweak I'd enjoy seeing. As it is its "bland".

David Alward

Love the name "Casual PM" This is great software for Project tracking.

Used occasionally for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2018-02-06

This software shows the tasks in a list view or a graphical view. I think this is a powerful tool to help different people stay on the same page.

Pros
I really like the way this software has the graphical view for task tracking. It is a "mindmap" view and very visual. This really helps in see where thing are. It also includes the "list view". It is a simple feature but packs power. I really like the flexibility of switch views. I also like the fact that this software has a mobile app.

Cons
This software does not have a module r portion for risk tracking or risk management. that would be helpful.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Anonymous

Simple Project Management

Reviewed 2017-01-30

We were looking for a simple way to track the workflows in our projects without the massive overhead many software solutions currently have. This application fits our need perfectly. While it does not have all the bells and whistles you may find in other apps, in this case, it is exactly what you may be looking for.

Pros
Simple interface Easy to integrate with multiple users Near zero learning curve Inexpensive

Cons
Lacks detailed reporting (although some is available after speaking with support)

Nikolas Gauvreau

I very much prefer this tool over Trello and many other task tracking software

Reviewed 2017-12-11

Pros
The ease of use and the simplicity in creating and managing tasks is incredible. Plus being able to visualize all tasks together and see with such clarity what the dependencies are and how far you've come really sold it for me.

Cons
The lack of an indefinite free tier I found a bit disappointing but understandable. Other software out there like Trello have a great free offering and they are trying to solve the same problems. In the end it was worth it for me to buy the software however.

Kaushal Arwal

It is very helpful when you are managing tasks between multiple teams.

Reviewed 2018-03-14

Pros
The best thing I like is graphic layout of tasks. You can assign an executor and also set start date and end date This is the best tool to manage tasks between small teams. I have never seen this kind of graphic layout for tasks management and that part makes it unique from other tools.

Cons
I use this tool for tasks management only and it has all the features I need to do that work. So I don't like anything least about this tool.

kang kyu choi

The Power of visualization

Reviewed 2017-11-29

Pros
Whatever you do, Casual.pm can visualize your projects,tasks,flows.. It is huge advantage when you manage multiple projects. Multiple projects can be easily massed without proper tool. Casual.pm is great for managing and organizing multiple project with your colleague. Also, Casual.app doesn't demand steep learning curve.

Cons
Need more formatting functions(bold or coloring box). Casual.pm respond me they will soon delivery formatting functions.

Dmitry Harapko

Great alternative to expensive over-featured solutions

Reviewed 2017-01-23

We at Competera using this tool Daily. Generally for new client activation and onboarding. The team of ten is currently involved in those two processes. The roles available help to assign users and control the processes. The application is extremely user-friendly and easy to set up. Some subprocesses have been completely moved from other software, thus full cycle process now available for tracking in Casual. However, inside metrics and statistics highly demanded =) Wish you guys prosperity!

Leon Kim

Great workflow organizer

Reviewed 2017-01-27

I'm using casual for an aerospace design challenge with a team of 15 engineers. As a very visual person, I find the process of organizing tasks and being able to view the workflow in its entirety to be very useful and intuitive. I'm able to easily assign tasks to members and they can see deadlines, description of the task, etc. The only complaint I have is that it could be easier to create subtasks. I would expect to be able to create a task and drag tasks into it to create sub-tasks of the parent task. Instead, I need to create the subtasks first and then group them to make the parent task. It's not a huge hassle but I'd like to see the other method implemented if possible.

Pros
Easy to use Visual workflow Can push deadlines to google calendar Upload files to project

Cons
A bit troublesome to make sub-tasks

Ken Tyborski

Great Visual Project Planner!

Reviewed 2017-01-30

Unlike the competition, Casual.pm is visual-first. You can see your project at a glance, and make changes quickly and easily. I love that I can snapshot the project and share a link with clients.

Elizabeth Friesen

I used the trial, let it go, then I really missed it.

Reviewed 2019-08-12

Super friendly folks.

Pros
I love how it lays out everything visually and I can manipulate it so easily. I used to like to draw flow charts by hand, but this lets me save erasers and time.

Cons
The app does none of the awesome stuff the website does, but it is usually a much smaller space.

Cheryl-Lynn Schaefer

Great App for staying on task

Reviewed 2018-05-25

Pros
Great way to stay on task. Lays everything out so it's easy to see what is top, medium and low priority. Easy to set up too which is great.

Cons
1. Cannot copy entire projects easily. 2. Color coding of projects would be nice so you can tell who the tasks belong to at a glance.

Anonymous

easy for small company

Reviewed 2018-07-11

Pros
easy and visual, user friendly for non IT experts or native English speakers Tutorial is also easy to follow.

Cons
some of the tutorial steps do not appear on screen and takes awhile to figure it out, tutorial might be from last version but we installed new version perhaps.

Daniel Beckel

This is an amazing app

Reviewed 2018-01-02

Pros
- Visual tasks and hierarchy setting up - Support team - Cooperation - Reminder by email and visually

Cons
- A bit hard to understand basic functionalities - Some kind of stuffs is not intuitive - Ungrouping tasks is awful