Checkvist Reviews

4.88/5 (40 reviews)

Pros
  • Great usability. Clean design, a lot of features, everything that I wanted has been already implemented!
  • The ability to easily move and nest tasks, the keyboard shortcuts and the prioritization features. They're all great.
  • The flexibility, to use your own CSS is GREAT! As a coder, I think this will be a GREAT way to take notes while coding.
  • The best part of this app is all of the keyboard shortcuts. I am able to do everything I need without touching the mouse.
Cons
  • The mobile app is in development and not as feature rich, BUT the dev has consistently improved it.
  • A slightly clunky-appearing interface. I would like the ability to theme the interface and sync with Dropbox.
  • Very little to dislike. I guess more features would be fine, but it's nice to have it so simple and easy to use.
  • I wish they had a Mac App, it's only online, I think they could stand to do very well at adaption if they had a Mac App.
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Jason Caputo

Well/cleanly designed, feature rich, intuitive and efficient UI.

Reviewed 2017-07-07

Helps me organize important information, track projects, and even creative writing and DMing for RPGs.

Pros
It lets me get the ideas in my head down quickly and without frustration and organized effectively so that when I review it I can find what I need quickly and easily, even after I have collected a lot of information.

Matthew Moellering

I really enjoy using this product. It seems to work well for basic communication and organization.

Reviewed 2017-07-07

It keeps me really well organized.

Pros
It's just clean, simple, and straight-forward. It just works really well for outlining -- far better than MS Word or Google Docs, so I wish it had been around when I was in law school.

Cons
It logs out quite frequently. The mobile features are not the best... I think they are working on this, though. It would be nice if it works seamlessly, for example like Google Keep.

Sam Alcorn

Checkvist is my go to for projects and to do lists

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2017-08-05

It lets me look at projects the way I think about them. Not just a bunch of to do lists, but one project list that captures all the things that need to be done in an easy to organize format and interface.

Pros
I couldn't find another online tool that would let me create to do lists in an outline format. Having the ability to put children inside of an item was critical to me chosing Checkvist. Keyboard shortcuts are also awesome. I work in a terminal a lot so I'm used to just using a keyboard to get around. Saves a ton of time from jumping between mouse and keyboard.

Cons
The mobile interface isn't great. I would love a stand-alone app for checkvist (developed by checkvist instead of a random third party).

Amos Kittelson

Give fan of the features and keyboard shortcuts!

Pros

Cons
I'd like to be able to put attachments in notes and.... as you know... the mobile app is a good start, but lacks parity with the web.

Steven Verlaet

My go to outliner

Reviewed 2017-07-10

I got organized the way I wanted: with a simple, textbased system instead of heavy, slow big software that 's too expensive.

Pros
- very natural use (shortcuts, movements, ...) - fast! - looks simple but houses a boatload of functionality - custom css to make it look the way you like it

Cons
- not very good mobile support (might change with the PWA implementation?) - no iOS integration (notifications, fast input etc)

Andrey Sizov

Using it every day!

Reviewed 2017-07-10

It improves my work life balance and helps to sort out my work tasks.

Evgeniy Degtyar

Mouseless. Easy to use. Simple but powerful.

Reviewed 2017-07-07

I made a goal for myself to find some tools what will help me to be productive every day. I chose checkvist. I'm staying more productive than ever.

Pros
Shortcuts. They are great. Simple to use. Many ways to organize. Due feature. I love it. Can use email to add tasks.

Cons
Mobile version. I like mobile web-app (don't need AppStore to use and stuff like that). But it hard to use it on mobile when you need to organize something.

Jordan Christensen

Checkvist helps me organize all of my thoughts in one place and keep them super organized.

Reviewed 2017-07-06

Pros
It is so simple to use, especially with the markdown features. Having unlimited lists and sub lists also makes it easy for me to give details to my thoughts and projects.

Cons
I wish there was a better way to organize things visually (colors, pictures). It can just be a lot to look at if it is just tons of words on a screen.

Anonymous

A simple, straightforward checklisting program

Used monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed 2018-06-05

Pros
I used this program for a large freelance client to keep track of our tasks, and it was super-simple and straightforward. Not hard to learn or for non-technical people to use, but with enough features to help stronger users do more.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Benjamin Hirsch

I love it!

Reviewed 2017-07-06

I get a huge productivity boost.

Pros

Cons
Design of the UX should be responsive. I want to be able to customize it but some of the markup and existing styles are unpredictable. For example, the header uses a <table> tag.

Manish Chandra Reddy Ravula

AWESOME!!!

Reviewed 2017-07-30

Very fast, clean, organized placement of my thoughts and information.

Pros
IT IS JUST EXCELLENT! The semi-VIM like control is easy to adapt and the best for pure keyboard users. Also, the UI isn't laggy/unresponsive at any time at all. It is always handy, even managing the biggest of the lists. The coloring is quick and awesome. Further, the UI is clean without any clutter and help always within reach for newbies. All other task managers I have used have prompted with clutter and useless graphics.

Cons
Hard to point out, but this is the only backdrop: The auto-listing feature. It doesn't have to be itemize first, and then ask user for choice.

Tim Thienpont

I came from a "simpler" outliner, but wanted some more bells an whistles. I found them in Checkvist.

Used occasionally for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2017-07-06

Pros
* keyboard shortcuts for each and every function * lots of features * fast! * ease of use * possible to send mails which end up in the app

Cons
* no native (ios) app, so no native notifications etc. * personal reason: difficult for me to apply the gtd workflow while keeping the overview.

Daniel Baird

I loved this app!!

Reviewed 2017-08-09

Mary-Dan Johnston

Checkvist makes it easy to think in an organized way -- and it's open source!

Reviewed 2017-07-08

Pros
The text-based functionality is so useful, so much faster than messing around with a mouse when I'm trying to get my work done.

Response from Trirt Software

Thanks for the review! A short correction - Checkvist is not open source, it has a powerful free plan :)

Kevin Welch

I've really enjoyed this as an alternative to workflowy

Reviewed 2017-08-08

Proeductivity, ability to store and retrieve notes.

Pros
The keyboard shortcuts, which allow you to control Checkvist without the mouse. I also like the ability to create multiple outlines.