DesignFiles

Project management software for interior designers

DesignFiles Reviews

Carmelita T.

It is a vibrant platform that continually improves itself, and through that, Design Files makes me a better designer.

Anne C.

Winning time is definitely a win for me. My clients are also very impressed with how easy it is to communicate through the software and to just click and buy the products from their design.

Astrid V.

Cons

I struggle with the client sharing part - it does not always work when I try to share boards with my clients which can be frustrating.

Kelli C.

The downside is the time it takes to "manually cut out" using many "click" points around products that are on too-light backgrounds or have other items in their backgrounds.

Amy B.

The only thing which is missing for me is that I am from Germany and I can‘t get the side or presentation I download as a pdf in German. I always need to translate my pdf file afterwards.

Ramona P.

Design Files is my online assistant!

The team is amazing! They are constantly striving to be innovative with Design Files and take feedback seriously. There have been so many updates and new features since the initial launch of the site and with every change, the program gets easier to use. It is extremely professional and worth every penny!

Pros

I love Design Files! It is so helpful to have everything that I need to send professional concept packages to my clients. The web clipper makes it easy to grab images, information and pricing for any product online and the editing features allow me to control what I want my clients to see. The new room rendering application is great to show clients what their space will look, with the actual pieces. This is extremely helpful from a visual standpoint and so much easier than photoshop.

Cons

The only con that I have is I would like to be able to create invoices for my clients. Hopefully this is coming soon...

Easy to use Design Software

A design friend turned me on to DF and I couldn't have been more thankful. Using DF has been a great tool for my business. Prior to this I was using Photoshop, which works, but took SO much more time. I'm still evolving my processes and trying to make things faster and easier, which DF has helped in that. I don't know if I totally love the invoicing and purchasing, but I use it because it's all in one place; I'm sure that will evolve with time as DF gets feedback from customers. I do appreciate how much they do take customer thoughts into consideration!

Pros

Mood board & floor planner are easy to use, there are some quirks/inconveniences that could be addressed. Lots of features like invoicing, purchasing, time tracker, etc., are nice to have integrated in the program and are easy to share with clients. Lots of well known retail companies' products are included in the software which is a huge plus and saves time from clipping. Although, I've noticed some current products aren't updated within the program.

Cons

There are a few quirks that could be addressed. One being that the mood board allows using the delete button to remove items, but the floor planner does not. You have to click an item and then hit the trash button. This may seem insignificant, but actually is clunky and bogs you down when someone like me works fairly quickly. Plus, if you use both types of boards, not having the same functionality...

Decent Enough Program

I find the program overall, just okay. Great for mood boards, as I have more control over what I can add and how I can display things, but in terms of renders, I find it to be mediocre and may have to eventually switch from DF to something else more substantial.

Pros

I love the questionnaire portion best as its very detailed and clients love it; also that there is the ability to engage with clients directly through the program.

Cons

I really wish the floor plans had the capability of having more detail added; sliding closet doors, built-in closets and cabinetry, etc. Also, exact precise measurements - I don't like that I have to round up or down on measurements, thus making a render not exactly to scale and more of a ball-park. I also really wish the floor plan product catalogue, flooring options, pain colours, etc. had MANY more options, not just generic - it makes the 3D option essential useless for me to use to show my clients.

DesignFiles' Importance to Me

every once in a while the clipper "Add to DesignFiles" doesn't work.

Pros

Easy of use. You can stay very organized. I like the fact that you can see all the design boards on the dashboard.

Cons

It's still sometimes difficult to remove the background manually. I don't find too many cons. It would be nice to have some Cad-like features.

It's such a complete tool, I gradually stopped using any other system.

Overall, I can say that I am managing about one third more projects than before in the same time. Which is incredible! The longer I use the software, the more I feel I'm getting quicker. I may get to the point where I doubled my productivity!

Pros

What I love the most is the Web Clipper, it makes my life so much easier and I don't have to save and download thousand of pictures in my computer. It allows me to have a full library of products, whether I use them every day or just once, where I can keep all the related notes and pictures as well. I also really like the fact that while creating a mood board I am also creating a price list, so that I don't have to repeat all the work.

Cons

I am a new user, therefore I may have not discovered some of the features that allow me to customize my templates fully - though, I think there should be a possibility to format the description and notes fields in Quotes/Invoices/POs. Sometimes the text in there is so extensive that I would like to split it into paragraphs, or make some words bold or italics. I have to shorten the text for it not to get overwhelming, having to sacrifice info that may be important.

Laureli Designs and Decor

The easy of working with clients from all over has truly helped with my business and having all billing in one spot has truly been an assest.

Pros

Design files is very easy to use and has been a real game changer for me since moving more to e-design over the traditional interior design services that I have offered for 17 years. The great thing is I use it for both!!! It has been nice to build my own library and yet have the ability to pull from existing selections and the Facebook group has been wonderful to see and build on what others are working with or have struggles with.

Cons

Integration into my current business has been seamless. There are though things I miss...mainly because I come from an AutoCAD background I am use to having the ability to design and add whatever is needed and at times there are just no selections for things when it comes to floorplans and 3D design. The libraries that are in the drop down selections is nice but limited in their selections, which I find myself adding to mine constantly and or googling to find how they have it listed in order to find it. I know we are to only use the libraries for placement of items but having updates libraries where we can pull exact items in and price as we go would be great.

A great tool for managing your design business

I use it every day and for all of my clients - it's my mode of sharing information, exchanging comments with clients, tracking revisions. It has been a valuable asset as I've started my new business.

Pros

The ability to clip products from the web and capture the dimensions and information then save it into your own library has been a game changer for me. Now shopping lists are just a push of a button away - so much time saved! I also love that my clients can view, comment and share my design boards and floor plans easily in an environment that is polished and professional looking. The ability to generate quotes and invoices has also been so valuable - I'm just starting my business and the level of financial functionality is just right for a small company. Integration with my existing processes was easy, and my clients love it. And the customer service has been great through their Facebook page - they are always improving the system and really listen to us!

Cons

Time tracking is new and still has room for more sophistication. Design board creation is a bit clunky - removing backgrounds can be frustrating, adding text isn't as intuitive as it could be. Weak with CRM, project management and task tracking.

Efficient and effective product!

Pros

Very easy to use and everything is right in front of you without having to go back and forth. Customer-friendly, affordable and a time-saver

Cons

I would like to see coupon codes being able to be used by clients, especially first-time clients.

DesignFiles make a Graphic Designer or freelancer to easier collaborate to their client.

Is Good, im happy use this product & cant wait for many update further.

Pros

the product is nice & comfortable to use. can be using for many times & not boring.

Cons

maybe need a improve Organize financial data service for make a easier & nice tool to management

Ease of Function

I like that it is all encompassing. I used to have a separate platform for contracts. Once I figured out that I could send contracts through DesignFiles, it was a time saver as well as a cost saver.

Pros

I like that the design enables someone that is not computer savvy to figure out how to use the product. The "clipper" is a game changer and makes doing design boards a snap. Customer service is great. They respond quickly and have answered any question I have.

Cons

I would like to use Stripe but have not established a website yet - not necessary as all of my business has been work of mouth. I would like to enable CC charges directly to the individual project.

Good for What I need Right Now

DesignFiles has saved me so much time in my process. Searching and saving products is so much easier and my clients love the mood boards and the simplicity of approving items. I think there is a lot of opportunity for improvement, but that's exciting. I look forward to growing my business with DesignFiles as it grows. As an added note, before I changed careers to design I was a product manager for online software. If you are ever looking for beta testers with QA experience I would be happy to give feedback :)

Pros

Very easy to use, not overly complex for my needs. My clients like how easy it is to approve and reject products. The web clipper is great and I love how easy it is to go from mood board to quote to invoice etc.

Cons

The lack of customization options. I would love to add notes to a product that are private to me (ie. somewhere I can put the MSRP or MAP, estimated restock or whatever that can be hidden from the client view). I would also love more control over what is visible/hidden to clients (like hide the brand name, but keep the description). I understand this works for e-design where clients would be doing...

Overall a Game Changing Product!

Pros

I find that the product is quite user friendly and easy to use. I LOVE the beautiful and professional way all client presentation documents are laid out. Am so grateful that the product list presentations are automatically generated as you create your moodboard/render. Appreciate so much the Photoshop like features that are built into the mood board software. LOVE that I can manually cut out photos and distort images.

Cons

These are some updates that would really be nice. Inclusion of these features would really help my business run more smoothly and efficiently, and these would help save me TONS of time. When adding products to a client project it would be nice if the page did not always jump back to the first page of products every time you add a product to the project. Would also be nice to have a way to bulk add...

Best Company EVER

Honestly, I've never had customer service like this since becoming a designer, and even rarely throughout my 25-year hotel career has anyone been this customer-focused. A lightning-fast learning curve, excellent snipping tool, beautiful mood boards, product list with pricing, color option, quantity, project-specific client notes, mood boards, space planning room setups, client onboarding, packaging...

Pros

Easy to use Fast integration Robust capabilities

Cons

There is no integration into 3D software

Design Files is INVALUABLE to my online design business

AMAZING! I truly love the platform and it is essential to my online design business!

Pros

It is SO user friendly. I can easily create gorgeous boards for my clients. The most important feature to me is the design clipper as I am able to use all of my favorite stores, and most importantly my unique tracking links for each product. I love the "approve/reject", chat feature, and direct shopping features as well. These all help me streamline my work flow with my clients to make the process very seamless and enjoyable!

Cons

Here are a few wishes from using it so much:: -One of my BIGGEST wishes is the ability to give my clients "coupon codes" to use on my package page. I know this would require the help of STRIPE, but I really need to be able to have this feature. I have considered switching payment providers so I can do this- but I love the streamlined ability in your platform with stripe and the questionnaire automatically...

Design Files, The New Olioboard, Is AMAZING

It has been a fantastic experience. The fact that there are now libraries from vendors I use frequently helps to save me time trying to find images and download them to my computer in order to upload them to the program. Same with Paint color libraries. The Add to Design Files bookmark tab is incredible and a genius tool that I have never seen with any other program. If you haven't seen what it is, you can view helpful videos. Again, customer service has been incredible and two of the reps are great at walking you through steps and getting back with you instantly, especially using the messaging dialog box in the program. If I had to rate my experience out of 10 with 10 being the best, my experience would be a 100.

Pros

It's easy to use, gives great perspective and gets the point across to clients. The greatest tool to use for quick changes and edits to client ideas and spaces. I have used many programs and this one eliminates all headaches from other programs that seem to be way too advanced when all you need is to display ideas. Great for pricing and itemizing client projects. I will never use any other product. I used Olioboard religiously and this program is Olio on steroids and anyone can use it! Saying I love this program is an understatement and the creators, take time to train everyone and answer any questions one might have. Best customer service ever.

Cons

There are very few things I do not like because the program has been updated so much but the fact that I cannot duplicate items using keyboard shortcuts can sometimes slow me down but there is a duplicate button so I shouldn't complain. I wish we could crop color swatches for creating half walls and such, but then again, you can use the adjust tool to skew the shapes. There really isn't a lot that hinders me in creating a project.

Design Files is FABULOUS!

DF has been awesome from the beginning but what I really love is how customer service listens to the designers and are constantly upgrading and adding features that we ask for! Like the financials page has been a game changer for my business. I was an early user of DF after leaving IVY after 6 years and it was the best decision I have ever made for my business. In the beginning DF was mainly an e-design...

Pros

I love Design Files for the ease of use and the ability to create a totally professional 2D design boards to give our clients to sell the job and give them a virtual true sense of the room, materials and furnishings and how all our selections come together for their space.

Cons

I love pretty much everything about this software but I would say the only thing missing is a system like ASANA to organize projects and create a tasks and an install schedule for projects that a team can work from. QB is integration is little confusing...

I love this software

Overall, amazing. It looks professional and I can keep track of several things for my clients. They also love being able to log in and see what i'm working on.

Pros

The ability to create digital images, the approve/deny function is AMAZING. Customer service is very responsive. Ability to create invoices and purchase orders with ease.

Cons

Background eraser is needs improvement. Photoscissors.com has a better software & I typically go there, then upload my better image into the product library. The product library is limited in photo options, I typically end up using the browser clipper to add products to my own library. I also wish there was an addition to the drawer on the right side when you're editing a design that shows you every product you've used so far (I sometimes hide them in the background so the client can see multiple options). I also wish the ipad functionality was a little better or there was an app, but i don't mind carrying around my laptop.

Great Platform!

Great, I've also had great customer service when I've had questions,

Pros

This has been a huge time saver and organizer for my interior design business. I love the mood boards and the way I can pull everything straight from a website and add it to my design while keeping track of the budget. Then when I present to the client, the interface is easy and professional.

Cons

I am waiting for the floor plan feature! I can't wait so I can do that with my mood boards all in the same place.

Ease to Use

Customer Support is great, always get my questions answered and Customer Support listens to suggestions to improve product and many things I know that I have suggested has been implemented, thus appreciative of that.

Pros

Love the Clipper. Creating board are easy to do with clipper and automatic load of the website where product came from. Design Files is easy to use, looks great, and feels good and professional and I don't mind sharing nice boards with my client. Love the idea of client approve/decline and allowance of client Shop It on their own when I choose to work that way. It's not complicated.

Cons

During the editing a board process, it was ohhhh so wonderful when you have multiple boards in one project to be able to click to the next board without having to GO BACK TO APP repeated to grab the next board, edit, and then GO BACK TO APP again for the next on and on. Each time you Go Back to App and come back, you have start all over again selecting the Project again you are working on. Should...

The best software I’ve tried!

Overall I’ve had a really awesome experience with design files. I tried every single option there was out there in design files was by far the one that stood out the most! There are definitely some kinks that I’m still trying to figure out and things that I would like to see improved upon, but I definitely can see that they are committed to listening to designers feedback and improving the software as time goes on. And that is awesome!

Pros

The product clipper and the ability to take a quote to an invoice and track payments is incredible!

Cons

The 2-D and 3-D planner is very subpar. It’s not super user-friendly yet and not easy to use in my opinion. If it were improved upon it would make design files A one stop shop for me but because it’s not very intuitive it makes my processes and systems for client design packages more complicated because I have to use other software programs to utilize that feature.

Designfiles

Great customer service and enjoyable software to use.

Pros

Love the shop it options and approve tab for clients. Love the boards being able to be sent with all items listed. Clients usually quite impressed with this feature.

Cons

Biggest issue is the quality of graphics when boards are printed out. Lets the software down from a professional perspective !!!! Client not being able to approve item when it is to be purchased by them!!! Having to go back to app every single time I finish something on a board....the questionnaire not having the ability to customise per project....not having a timer option per project to keep track...

Design Files Brings Simplicity to the Design Process

It's a huge bonus to provide my clients 24/7 online access to review designs, make comments and, soon, issue payment - especially being here in San Francisco which is a very fast, super digitized city. In my website content, I am adding and promoting these features as a value added benefit of why to work with me!

Pros

Great user interface and customizable platform for my interiors business. I am able to leverage a powerful online platform for my clients 24/7 access and it's gives me a great service edge. I feel very personally well acquainted with this platform due to the accessibility of customer support and simple, easy to understand tutorials. The support staff is approachable and super informative. Having the Facebook group is helpful as interior designers always need a professional forum to chat about this adventurous E -Design business model!

Cons

There is not too much I don't like as it offers me alot of creative freedom and informs my design process in an intuitive way to build great design packages for my clients. From the financials side, functionality is a big topic however. Simple online payments will be convenient. Working my mark up and design fee into the pricing structure is also helpful. However I understand DF is not an accounting...

Loving DesignFiles! It has completely cut out a part of my process that was so time consuming!

I have been able to reduce my emails and keep all my client questionnaires, comments, and questions within DesignFiles. I bill my clients within DesignFiles (looks and feels more professional than Quickbooks or Stripe) It has also changed my process to be significantly more efficient. Their Customer Service team is insanely quick to respond and help with anything. Thank you!

Pros

I love being able to share the project with my clients outside of email and within an organized platform. It is so much more efficient, and my client and I can keep track of where we are with products via the comments. The easy to use floor plan and 3D floor plan tools along with the exportable pdf with shopping links (that I can add my rsytle / SideDoor links to) are why I signed on with DesignFiles.

Cons

The size of the design boards are not ideal for blogging, Pinterest, or social media. It would be great if we could pick a size before we start a design board so when they are exported they are ready to go and do not need to be resized or edited for marketing. I would love to be able to upload and use my branded fonts within the design boards and in client communications. It would be great if I could add my affiliate links to the library of products. Lastly, I am impressed by the 3D floor plan capability and the 3D furniture options available. I would also love to see even more 3D product options (for example, I use a lot of Four Hands products, and if the 3D library included more trade items from manufacturers like Four Hands and other SideDoor vendors, that would be amazing)!

Evoque Décor Review

I think the biggest solution to my business is the communication features - the automated design questionnaire for the client and the direct messaging on the projects. Also the marketing ads for social media or email. The ease to change packages and pricing. Providing links to my website. The all-in-one platform lets me service clients in many different ways.

Pros

I love the all-in-one features for complete set up of an e-design service. Other features also make it possible to function as a full service interior designer by documenting hourly rates, creating invoices, keeping record of jobs completed and client info. I also love the on-boarding marketing features for promoting yourself on social media and through email. I was able to use your links on my website to redirect clients to my packages for purchase. Now that we have the floorplan and 3D feature along with the existing style board and shoppable product list feature, I have everything at my finger tips. I don't have to use other software to complete my work.

Cons

Although the new 3D feature is a welcome addition, the product inventory is limited and I can't use "Add to Designfiles" from other vendors as they are probably not 3D configured. As a result, the style board and 3D rendering are not in alignment and could cause concern for clients. Would love additional on-boarding marketing features like promotional video explaining generic topics (i.e., FAQ - What is the difference between e-design and full service interior design? How It Works video?)

Just About the Best Back-End Software for My Business

It's made me able to think straight, keep a myriad of details organized, and helps me up my presentation game - both digitally and in person.

Pros

Simple. Clean. GREAT VALUE. Helps my look professional and polished with my clients, and keeps me organized behind the scenes. They add new features all the time, in response to direct input from the interior design community.

Cons

Really, the only drawback is that occasionally it's down for a while, I suspect with updates?, but every now and then I cannot utilize all the functions when I want to. However, the DesignFiles team is extremely responsive and easy to communicate with.