DesignFiles Logo

Project management software for interior designers

DesignFiles Reviews

Suggested alternatives

houzz-pro
honeybook
monday-com

I love that I have a way to give my clients a visual to the vision in my head. I love that I can pull from any knline site or upload pictures from my own to use in creating designs.
The ability to create digital images, the approve/deny function is AMAZING. Customer service is very responsive.
It is a vibrant platform that continually improves itself, and through that, Design Files makes me a better designer.
I struggle with the client sharing part - it does not always work when I try to share boards with my clients which can be frustrating.
The downside is the time it takes to "manually cut out" using many "click" points around products that are on too-light backgrounds or have other items in their backgrounds.
The only thing which is missing for me is that I am from Germany and I can‘t get the side or presentation I download as a pdf in German. I always need to translate my pdf file afterwards.

Jeanette P.

Own er

DesignFiles' Importance to Me

Transcript

Jeanette: Hi, my name is Jeanette. I am an interior designer and I use DesignFiles. I would give it a...

BB

Bianca B.

Interior Designer

Design Files review

Transcript

Bianca B.: Hi, I'm Bianca. I'm an interior designer and I would rate DesignFiles at a five. And for more...

Jana S.

Review of Design Files

Wonderful

Pros

One of the things that has impressed me about DF is their responsiveness to designers' needs. Customer service is wonderful as well. I use DF every day in my business and I can't wait to see how it continues to grow and develop to make the design process even more seamless and fun. I have loved it so much I recommended it to our entire team, and they've just signed on!

Cons

The 3D modeling program is basic, but still useful. I do turn to another program for my 3D modeling needs.

KL

Kylie L.

Design, self-employed

The best software I’ve tried!

Overall I’ve had a really awesome experience with design files. I tried every single option there was out there in design files was by far the one that stood out the most! There are definitely some kinks that I’m still trying to figure out and things that I would like to see improved upon, but I definitely can see that they are committed to listening to designers feedback and improving the software as time goes on. And that is awesome!

Pros

The product clipper and the ability to take a quote to an invoice and track payments is incredible!

Cons

The 2-D and 3-D planner is very subpar. It’s not super user-friendly yet and not easy to use in my opinion. If it were improved upon it would make design files A one stop shop for me but because it’s not very intuitive it makes my processes and systems for client design packages more complicated because I have to use other software programs to utilize that feature.

JM

Jenna M.

User Review

I love making pretty design boards to present to my clients and having easy correspondence with them. Doing mostly e-design services, I present the items and my customers purchase on their own. Because of this I have not used the invoice feature and would love for Design Files to pair up with a well known affiliate link company so designers can make a bit of $ in affiliate sales.

Pros

I love that it is easy to use and that the customer support is very responsive.

Cons

There are many times that I am using the Design Files shopping vendors and I drag an item onto my board and it does not show up. Another frustration is when the shopping gallery has "out of stock" items in it. I would love to see more vendors be available and the ability to narrow my search options by more than price, ie. finish, dimensions, customer rating etc. I would love to not have to keep all boards active in the program in order for the "shop it" link to work. Would be nice to download boards for myself and still be able to use those links when the board has been deleted.

JS

Jennifer S.

I’m coming back to DF!

It was good, I stepped away for a little while to try another service but in going to come back to design files.

Pros

It was easy to use in. Customer service was very prompt and helpful.

Cons

I wish it could accommodate kitchen and bathroom design and elevations

nb

natalie b.

Designfiles

Great customer service and enjoyable software to use.

Pros

Love the shop it options and approve tab for clients. Love the boards being able to be sent with all items listed. Clients usually quite impressed with this feature.

Cons

Biggest issue is the quality of graphics when boards are printed out. Lets the software down from a professional perspective !!!! Client not being able to approve item when it is to be purchased by them!!! Having to go back to app every single time I finish something on a board....the questionnaire not having the ability to customise per project....not having a timer option per project to keep track...

AA

Anoushka A.

Excellent for decoration projects

Effeciency and one spot to keep everything. I love how esdy it is to use and also how quickly you guys come back to me when I have a question.

Pros

I love the way the 2D materials board looks so professional when I pull it down into the client presentation. This is the main reason for me using the software, presentation to clients and theese of use with the shopping list for my clients. I'm also just about to launch e-design and the systems questionnaire is brilliant for this.

Cons

I currently use SmartDraw and woudl like to be able to draw floor plans here. I've seen the new software coming but the plans look more basic than what I can achieve in smartdraw so I hope in time this can be improved. I also like the idea of 3D rendes but with the actual pieces for the design, this may come later also. I think the shopping list would be better over less pages, they take up too much room and so it doens't look great. Maybe a table format with at least 6-8 items per page.

kg

katie g.

Changed my business

It adds to the professionalism of my business. I am on the same page with my clients as I can add notes or see their comments/approvals. I also love the templates for invoicing, proposals, etc.

Pros

I really like the simplicity of the user interface. It streamlines the design process and adds only features that are useful. I also like the approval process.

Cons

I wish the invoicing software allowed for bank transfer.

BH

Brittany H.

I Love Design Files

I love using design files, I switched over from Houzz/Ivy and absolutely love it. Very easy to use, every time I've reached out the staff has been very helpful.

Pros

It's great project management software and the customer service is impeccable. Also the mood board its great.

Cons

some features aren't editable but very minor items

TO

Tishelle O.

The Best, No Arguement

Pros

The ease of use for both the designer and end user is great. All of my clients love the software.

Cons

I wish there was some more CRM features (Client emails, contracts, etc.). Ideally, I would love for DesignFiles to be my one stop shop! I don't like having to use multiple software, when I spend most of my time in DesignFiles

CC

Crystal C.

Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees

Design Files is easy to use-you can hit the ground running.

I do not use all of the features regularly, however I love that I have the option to use the 3D when I am trying to communicate an idea to a client.

Pros

Design Files is easy to use-you can hit the ground running.

Cons

I would love some more dropdown menus for ease of use.

LQ

LAURA Q.

Design, self-employed

A great tool for managing your design business

I use it every day and for all of my clients - it's my mode of sharing information, exchanging comments with clients, tracking revisions. It has been a valuable asset as I've started my new business.

Pros

The ability to clip products from the web and capture the dimensions and information then save it into your own library has been a game changer for me. Now shopping lists are just a push of a button away - so much time saved! I also love that my clients can view, comment and share my design boards and floor plans easily in an environment that is polished and professional looking. The ability to generate quotes and invoices has also been so valuable - I'm just starting my business and the level of financial functionality is just right for a small company. Integration with my existing processes was easy, and my clients love it. And the customer service has been great through their Facebook page - they are always improving the system and really listen to us!

Cons

Time tracking is new and still has room for more sophistication. Design board creation is a bit clunky - removing backgrounds can be frustrating, adding text isn't as intuitive as it could be. Weak with CRM, project management and task tracking.

JD

Jolene D.

Design, 1-10 employees

The Best Tool for E-design!

DS has streamlined so many processes for me and it saves so much time in creating the perfect room for my client. At this point, I would be an unorganized mess without it!

Pros

This product is VERY easy to use and learn. Within hours of purchasing I had created awesome moodboards from products I source everyday for my clients. All of my products are stored in my library with the location (website address) and all of the information on the product. Additionally, DS allows you to put in affiliate links to take advantage of that additional commission income!

Cons

The least liked feature is the 3D rendering. Although it is in place, it does not offer the versatility of other products. I would like to be able to change materials on the products in the DS library to give the client a better understanding of what the final product will look like. It is hard to compete with the "big guys" (e.g., Modsy) when you cannot show something closer to the product you are recommending they purchase. I would be willing to pay more for the subscription if this were included in the package.

TL

Tracy L.

Laqua Review

Although I haven't yet spent much time using Design Files to "design a room", I'm hoping I will be able to eliminate the need for other "design a room" apps which I believe it will I just need to spend a little more time learning how to use this feature.

Pros

I love that I can track finances, design a room and load product all in one place. I don't consider myself to be "tech savvy" but it was easy to learn. Integration into my existing business was easy.

Cons

I would love to see a 'receipt' option added.

JA

Janice A.

Design, self-employed

It pays for itself in money, time, and frustation!

Great customer service. I love producing products with tech gadgetry, but I am uninterested in creating them from scratch.

Pros

It is making the transition to virtual very fun and easy.

Cons

Choices for cabinetry for kitchens is low, but it is on the way after technical details are worked out.

CC

Caitlin C.

Professional Design Boards

I've been very happy with the program and the customer support.

Pros

I love Design Files for organizing and communicating our designs to our clients. It's a great place to keep track of design ideas as well as correspondence with the client about the design selections.

Cons

There are some features that need to be updated to help with ease of use but they are constantly improving the platform.

TB

Tiffany B.

Design, self-employed

Great easy-to-use software for a fair price.

The lack of budget sheets available in each project page.

Pros

I love the simplicity and ease of this program. It's very inclusive of nearly all aspects of a design.

Cons

I'd like to be able to load in some basics of past projects just so all the information can be found in one location. I also would really like to see a budget section in the project page for budget projection on each project with the ability to edit sections on the budget based on the needs of that particular project.

RE

Richard E.

Design, 1-10 employees

FINALLY, a solution that works!

The customer service is phenomenal, extremely prompt (albeit this is not important to us, it is appreciated!), the ease of use and quick user adoption enables us to really leverage this tool to grow our business.

Pros

DesignFiles is a clean, easy to understand program that helps our business manage multiple complex projects. The seamless workflow from project creation, through design, quoting, invoicing and purchasing has enable us to consolidate the number of tools that we use to operate.

Cons

There's not specific things that we have a concern with, we would love a way to view all open quotes, all open invoices etc from one tab, versus going into the individual projects.

LW

Leslie W.

Design, 1-10 employees

Time saver and great way to showcase your design ideas

so far so good, the response by the administrators for help has been great so far! Have only used for about a week and 1/2 so far.

Pros

Really like that you can connect with Quickbooks and initiate an invoice for client and immediately load up a purchase order for each vendor. Like the mood board and anxious to start the 3D modeling!

Cons

I think we are going to have to use the 2D modeling as a basic idea generation as I cannot get all the actual furniture items I am planning to use at the right angles, and use the Mood board for the actual pieces to purchase for the clients.

WF

Wendy F.

Design, 1-10 employees

Design Files is FABULOUS!

DF has been awesome from the beginning but what I really love is how customer service listens to the designers and are constantly upgrading and adding features that we ask for! Like the financials page has been a game changer for my business. I was an early user of DF after leaving IVY after 6 years and it was the best decision I have ever made for my business. In the beginning DF was mainly an e-design...

Pros

I love Design Files for the ease of use and the ability to create a totally professional 2D design boards to give our clients to sell the job and give them a virtual true sense of the room, materials and furnishings and how all our selections come together for their space.

Cons

I love pretty much everything about this software but I would say the only thing missing is a system like ASANA to organize projects and create a tasks and an install schedule for projects that a team can work from. QB is integration is little confusing...

AA

Angela A.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Time Saving Design Tool

DesignFiles enables you to collate all projects together in a very organised platform which helps you take control of seeing the progress of each project easily which has greatly organised all our many projects into the one location easy to access anytime on any device. The ease of communication between designer and client has help us maintain a level of care for clients we couldn’t achieve before without a lot of effort. Has greatly reduced the paper trail. Has helped move design projects to implementation stage more quickly and enabled us to take on more projects.

Pros

The layout and easy of use. The many features and functions. The work flow that all design procedures can be housed in the one place. Most of all the drive and passion of the developers who really care about the industry and making life easy and business more profitable for the end user. Training videos are so nicely arranged and each section is broken down into easy to refer to segments.

Cons

Would be good to customise the interfaces more so that it includes company colours and branding. The floor planner would be better if the wall sizes could be typed in and there was an angle degree option. Need relevant library for the UK market. Better Wallpaper and window furnishings needed on 3D library. Carpet textures on 3D library too overscaled. Not having a project management tool included.,

JB

Jeanine B.

Design, 1-10 employees

What a time saver! We Love this program!

We have saved a great deal of time and have been surprised how easy the software is, NOT complicated at all! You just need to have patience and dive into the videos to make your start on it go quicker!

Pros

I love the ease of bringing in my own products to the library...Its so quick to set up new items in the system so it makes it 1 step instead of 4-5 steps to get the product set up in our system. Plus from a time saving point of view, creating a sell sheet or presentation is a piece of cake! Much easier and quicker than cuting and pasted in Illustrator or Photo Shop!

Cons

You can't add items in the description field if you need to put additional items in it deletes the prior items in the field instead of giving you an option to add more info. Would love to see Lexington, Norwalk & Tropitone, Alder & Tweed added to vendor list!

RY

Ruby Y.

Great so far!

It's definitely streamlined my process a bit - and many of my clients really like it! The price is reasonable. Though there are improvements and kinks to work out, the software has a lot of potential and the customer service has been very good so far. Lots of tutorials available and easy learning curve.

Pros

2d room rendering feature Ability for client to comment on items

Cons

- No elevations - Cant do a 3d rendering with pieces I want to use - Background remover doesn't work well, I have to do it in another program and re-enter product info - No efficient inventory tracker for my business to sell our own items- have to track externally - Would love my 3D renderings to show up in the "room library" in the 2d board creator. - I would love to be able to pull products from my library into a quote to send the client, for an accessories buy or a "lighting only" buy for example. As of now I need to use external software to do different things. A simple "LIST" document to send clients with an image and price for them to sign off on would be awesome!

AM

Amy M.

Design, self-employed

Overall, I am very happy with Design Files.

Overall, I am happy with the program. However, If another program came available​ that would offer me these options (for the same price)I would most likely switch to another program that offered more customization.

Pros

Design files allow​ me to be able to streamline my design work and communicate/collaborate with clients virtually. This has helped my business immensely​. I do have a few things that I dislike/ wish that Design Files could offer so I recently looked into switching to another program. However, after researching other programs out there I felt that Design Files was the most​ affordable, simple to use and is currently the best program out there​ for virtual design.

Cons

I wish that you could customize things more, for example, the questionnaire, emails, the look for the site etc. my primary dislikes are that you can't provide coupon codes, that the chat doesn't​ carry over throughout the design and that you can't create a standard title block within the program.

KS

Kristen S.

Design, self-employed

Excellent tool for interior designer to bring your vision to life

The ability to keep most of my client information and products in the one space as well as being able to invoice directly is such a time saver. The presentations are much more professional and digital. Love using this tool and look forward to growing with Design Files in the furture.

Pros

- love the usability - love the new distort feature - happy with the invoicing directly from website featrure - love the new questionnaire

Cons

- dont like that the questionnaire isnt editable, the ability to add additional questions would be good - dont like that when my clients are filling out questionnaire and visiting their presentations they are directed to designfiles.co website. My clients can find this confusing. - would like to see the questionnaire be emailed from my address and not info@designfiles - again this can confuse my client as they are expecting it form me

RR

Rose R.

Design, self-employed

Consolidates Everything - Saves Me Time!

Just the invoicing issue where some banks are not supported and have to recreate the task wheel on every project. Overall, I LOVE Design Files and am really glad my business consultant ([sensitive content hidden]) recommended this!!

Pros

Very-user friendly with a lot of ways to learn all the features and functionality. This cut my admin time significantly (along with my stress) and allows me to work within one program for my projects. I am positive this will help my business grow without me burning it at both ends all the time.

Cons

A task/checklist template that can be used for different projects would be very helpful. Something that is standard to a similar place (i.e. a living room) that can be accessed by the team working on the project would be nice!