Float Logo

Float

Resource planning for agencies, studios and firms.

Float Reviews

4.5

1.3K

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.29/10

Reviews by rating

Suggested alternatives

Brilliant solution to allow me to manage my project resources and monitor their weekly/monthly/quarterly allocation with good reporting.
Float is super easy to use and is a perfect fit for what I use it for, which is mostly planning resources and allocating tasks for high collaboration digital projects.
Quick and responsive interface with easy filtering. All of these are great improvments form our previus solution.
I get very disoriented scroll in two dimensions through the enormous grid, it can be confusing search through such a large spread of information.
Only downside is that I'm unable to brand it up a bit with our company logo's/colours.
It's annoying when trying to put half day tasks. Sometimes the cursor from neutral turns into cursor of completion or deletion without warning.

1,387 reviews

PK

Peter K.

Projectmanager

Easy Ressource Planning Tool

Transcript

Peter K.: Hi, my name is Peter. I'm a project manager, and I would grade Float five from five stars....

KT

Krishanthan T.

Geotechnical Engineer

Design, 51-200 employees

Manage the time

Transcript

Krishanthan T.: My name is Krishanthan. I'm in civil engineering industry. I have been using this Float...

Faye B.

Fund-Raising, 11-50 employees

Into the future you go with Float

It has transformed our creative deparment going from excel sheets sent around via email at the end of the week to everyone having an account and checking their workload for the day. It has also meant I can work closer with the finance department to forecast and see hours burnt.

Pros

Float completely transformed our creative department as it allowed me to be much more reactive with organising the workflow of the floor. Float gave me back so many hours to manage projects. It's very easy to use and a great way to see what projects are booked in with who. We have multiple projects and the colour coding tool for clients is a dream!

Cons

The only con I have found with Float is aligning the same projects tasks in one line. For instance Person A could have Project X with 1st development ending on tuesday and 1st comments on wednesday starting 2nd development, if they have another project, say project Y that could be in the same row as 1st development and 2nd development could be a line below making it a bit hard to follow.

DH

Davy H.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Excellent tool for team scheduling and follow-ups

Our company went from 1 to 5 people in the past year. We also have interns or students that are only here for a while. We now have a tool that allows us to follow up projects and team schedules in a very clear way without creating big overhead costs. It works fast and efficient for us.

Pros

Easy to use. We can view the schedule of the entire team in one screen and make instant changes if necessary.

Cons

When creating tasks, the difference between creating projects and clients can be annoying. Also: provide more colours! ;-)

Marketing and Advertising, 201-500 employees

Great for a high level, resource management tool.

Pros

Its a user friendly tool that makes resource management and managing a team of 40 with varying skillsets, availability, and calendars feasible.

Cons

It is not customizable, few api integrations that have worked, no development hope even when communicating with brand reps. You almost are forced to use it as is, off the shelf, or not at all.

Brittany H.

Food & Beverages, 10,001+ employees

Life saver

Pros

Float has saved my life a time or two! Either by reminding me about an upcoming appointment I'd forgotten or even by lending me a few bucks for gas to get me through till pay day! Thanks Float!

Cons

Not a thing to complain about here THANK YOU FLOAT!

Adam S.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Solid Product

It's helped us grow a lot and help more people. It's really helped us spend less time doing admin work and more time doing real work and helping people. It takes some getting used to and commitment but it's beautifully designed, intuitive, and a big part of our success.

Pros

How easy it is to use. It's easy to jump in and also complicated enough that you can really use some advanced features.

Cons

There are of course small issues here and there but none worth mentioning at all. It's truly a great product and really helpful.

Thank you for your review, Adam! Excellent to hear that Float is saving you time on admin work so you can do more of what you do best!

Stephan L.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Float made scheduling a breeze

Job scheduling across a large team is now much easier. Integrating with our job management tool saves time on timesheet management and ensures jobs don't go over on time.

Pros

One dashboard, one overview of all resources and it integrates with our job creation tool which makes it super easy for timesheets. Moving jobs to other days is just a drag and drop away.

Cons

It would be awesome, if a job doesn't exist in our job management tool, if float could create it via push.

Thanks for your review, Stephan! Great to hear you're saving time on task management with Float.

DW

Deborah W.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Float - first month experiences

Great - it helps us to stop working with spreadsheets. It works intuitively and has everything we were looking for in a tool. We compared many tools, and ended up with Float. We are all very happy with it.

Pros

It is great that float offers, in a very intuitive way, a tool that combines everything we need: project management, capacity planning, an overview of the spend budget, a good overview of all deadlines, and hour tracking.

Cons

When you log your hours you cannot see the notes that were added to a task while planning the task.

Thanks for your review, Deborah! Amazing to hear that Float is helping you manage projects, capacity, budgets, and time all in one place! Great news -- we recently released an update so that notes on scheduled tasks carry over to logged time. Hope that helps!

Gordon W H.

Design, 11-50 employees

A great solution for a small team with room to grow

Not having to rely on tools that weren't built for this purpose to achieve the desired output is fantastic. Excel is for numbers and spreadsheets, not managing project.

Pros

I love that this is an affordable, web-based, easy to configure and use tool that is extremely flexible. There's a lot of power in only asking for as much information as is needed in order to be useful. It's a great visual way to manage projects and people and to get a sense of how people's workload is at any given moment. As an end user, it's great to be able to see how my week is looking at the start so that anything that comes up can be managed and it's a burden to try and juggle it all.

Cons

Float very much purpose-built to schedule work, but there are a number of features that are present in more project-focused solutions which are lacking-- namely time tracking and dependencies. However, adding some of these features might sacrifice that which makes Float great at what it does, simplicity.

RJ

Reshma J.

Human Resources, 51-200 employees

Great

Pros

It's used for project management and task management

Cons

Additional features can be added for user friendly performance

AF

Ahmad Farhad S.

Management Consulting, 11-50 employees

Manage Your Works!

Float is a wonderful software, it really helps my business with daily operations such as task management, project management, task scheduling, creating campaigns, tracking the cost of business, and many other wonderful tools in this software. Thank you Float.

Pros

I like the nice tools and features in this software especially task management, task scheduling, and project scheduling/management.

Cons

I would like to see more nice tools all in a single place in the next versions of this software.

CG

Colby G.

Construction, 51-200 employees

A fantastic, easy to use software that gets the job done

Pros

The simplicity of Float was what sold it for us. As a company with around 90 very busy engineers and designers, entering workload data needed to take less than 5 minutes. With Float we can do this. Once all the data is in Float, managers can easily see who needs more work and who is overloaded. Support is also fantastic. The instant message service on the website always gets a fast response.

Cons

No major issues. If I had to nitpick, I had to create a workaround to allow all employees to be able to automatically see every project in the system sithout assigning it to them. To do this I had to make every user an admin. But this works fine.

LF

Lewis F.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees

You might manage without it, but you really shouldn't

Good, really helps to smooth things out by communicating the schedule to everyone concerned, easy to learn and use, support is fast and friendly.

Pros

Zapier integration, user interface/layout, ability for others to view the schedule without being a billed user, flexibility, detailed reporting function, contstant improvements and updates.

Cons

I'd like to have employee birthdays displayed on the schedule somehow, other calendars use suitable icons e.g. cake with candles. There's really nothing else important I'd ask for.

Thanks for your review, Lewis! Great to hear that Float is keeping everyone in your team in the loop.

MM

Marco M.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Great software for planning but missing some features.

Overall I am very satisfied with Float, as it allowed me to save a lot of time in my planning activity and provided the company with a tool that everyone can use.

Pros

I really like the possibility of having a global view of the activities and the possibility of having a fast (very fast) synchronization with the Outlook calendar. Furthermore, it is really useful to assign different roles to people in order to define planning permissions.

Cons

I am not crazy about the graphic style of the calendar / schedule view. Hiding over the weekend it is difficult to see at a glance the separation between the various weeks. Also there is no translation of the portal in Italian, not a serious deficiency, but if there were it would be better :) It also lacks the ability to view your schedule in a daily agenda format in order to have a more precise schedule of your commitments, as you can do through outlook.

KA

Ky A.

Design, 1-10 employees

Best Visual Project Management Tool I've Found

It has allowed us to essentially self-manage projects without having to have a dedicated PM on staff.

Pros

We love the ease of use of Float to visualize our team's schedule. It allows us to quickly see how our people are resourced and make adjustments on the fly with the draggable task blocks. It was extremely easy to set-up and implement with our team and projects–no tutorial or laborious how-to required!

Cons

We use the basic features for an easy workflow overview so it covers all the features we would need.

SC

Sam C.

Internet, 11-50 employees

Great for balancing our resources

I think Float is having a real positive impact on our project management team and is becoming more the useful the more we use it.

Pros

As both a user and administrator of Float at our company I'd say my favourite feature is the UI design of Float. It looks great and I never have to to look hard to find the information I need - it's all very intuitive. I also love the daily email digests that come through. Way better than any 'to do' software I have tried in the past. The reports visualisation is fantastic too, and is something I'm only just discovering.

Cons

I'd love to use time logging / timesheets but cannot for the life of me figure this part out!

Hi Sam, Thanks so much for your review! The Account Owner can activate time tracking on your account, including a 30 day free trial for first time users. Your team's timesheets will be pre-filled base don your scheduled work hours in Float! If you'd like to set up a demo or find out more information, please email us at support@float.com and we'd be happy to help! Cheers, Siobhan

HC

Hollie C.

Computer & Network Security, 11-50 employees

User-friendly, with a few interesting quirks!

Float allows us to better plan our week / month as teams, and gives us better visibility over time spent on projects.

Pros

As a company we've just moved to this from Trello as we needed time logging projects. So far this has been really useful, and we're getting a much clearer picture against the budget of a project. The scheduling side is something we're really valuing too, integrating this into Slack means we can see the work we've been scheduled on, how much time we've got booked in for it, and plan our days more easily.

Cons

Tasks- we have set this up to be a bit more like Trello for us- but because of that we miss the checklists functionality of Trello, particularly as we could organise sets of tasks for a project using a checklist. We use tasks in place of this, but these will only list alphabetically. If we number them, we can go up to 10 before the logic fails and adding '11' means the list goes 1, 11, 3, 4, 5.... and so on!

BW

Brad W.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Float review for Audio Visual Studio

With using Float we have been able to have one central, accessible platform for the team to schedule tasks and projects and to assign them to the relevant individuals, sometimes weeks ahead of the deadlines. This has improved the teams overall planning of jobs and has allowed us to see what we can take on, what we need to reschedule and at times when we have to call in additional help to meet the deadlines. Float is quite easy to use and is improving all the time with new features. For us as an audio and design studio it has become an essential tool in our day to day operations that has benefited our overall productivity.

Pros

As a busy audio and visuals studio the biggest advantage we have seen with using Float is the scheduling feature. This allows us to schedule when projects and tasks need to take place, and who is working on and responsible for each project and task. As we have a number of people on our team and often numerous projects on the go at one time, Float has allowed us to better coordinate everything and has become vital in ensuring that projects and tasks are completed on time by each individual team member. As a team we can view the overall workload and time frames involved, while as an individual you can keep track of what tasks or projects you are working on and what projects you can or can not take on due to scheduling.

Cons

Sometimes the administrator /account owner has certain scheduling permissions and can add projects for individual team members int he scheduling feature. This is great but when these scheduled tasks or projects need to be changed or reshuffled it can only be done by the admin person / account owner and not the individual. There have been times when the admin person has not been available and I have needed to change the scheduled projects created by the admin person but have not been able to and have had to wait for the admin person to do it. This is the only downside so far that I have experienced using Float.

CD

Christian D.

Telecommunications, 51-200 employees

Float Review

We used to use a HUGE white board and dry erase markers for our schedule. We thought that this was the best way for us to tackle our job scheduling and Float was met with a bit of resistance once the boss said we were going to try it. WOW, were we wrong. I would never look back now that we are using Float. One of the best tools we ever used. We are scheduling anywhere from 18 to 26 techs on this program and I fully encourage anyone even thinking of possibly trying out a program for scheduling to do your self a favor and try out Float. I'd be shocked if your not impressed by it.

Pros

Kudos to you guys! I love the newer faster Float! You are making my job much easier & faster. Love the faster navigating/scrolling and the changing of a task’s time by scrolling on the schedule up or down beats the hell out of having to open the task and do it from there. Love the new feature that you can hover over the work task and the notes appear without having to open the task. Great job, keep it up!

Cons

Would like to be able to move a task to the afternoon (or lower in the cell) for a day where it is not a full days worth of hours and there is nothing else for that employee that day. Example, I have a technician on a 4 hour training course and it is in the afternoon. He has nothing else scheduled that day but I can't move the task lower in the cell so it looks like it is scheduled for the morning. It would be nice if you could hover over the "Time off" cells and see the notes associated with it , like you can for a work task, without having to open the "time off" cell.

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Great Visual Tool for Resource Management

We've been able to better project planning times for business needs coming in. When we know how long something takes via Float, we're able to give clearer milestones to our clients and we can manage our internal deadlines better. When you're able to take a quick peak at Float and see what someone is working on for the next few days, it's a more efficient way to manage resourcing expectations internally and across business units internally.

Pros

With Float, I love that you can make instant decisions on capacity management. I can assign someone a scheduled task and easily move the task back and forth between two team members if needed. It's a great visual tool to see how long people are spending in a certain area and to help plan ahead for the future. It gives a full visual picture of capacity and resource management, which can be hard to do. I love that you're able to assign color coding and different notes to each project, so you can monitor the health of the project properly and understand how many people are actually touching it.

Cons

Sometimes, there are some small glitches that happen, where you make an update and it either disappears or adds additional time to someone's schedule (making them fully at capacity). There aren't many cons to this application other than that because sometimes it can just take a lot of refreshing and some rework because sometimes the refreshes can cause a loss in information inputted.

KW

Kester W.

Media Production, 201-500 employees

Easy to use and efficient time management tool

My overall experience with float has been extremely positive. Compared to similar products we've used in the past this is the easiest to use, and we have fewer problems than with other software.

Pros

Integration with our business was very straightforward, and there are very few problems that arise when using float on the daily. The schedule updates immediately and its very easy to keep track of an entire teams workload at a glance.

Cons

Sometimes I have issues adding in new tasks to the system, but this is quite rare.

Thanks for your review, Kester! Glad Float was easy to set up for your business and that it's easy to keep track of your team's workload at a glance!

GB

Guillaume B.

Internet, 11-50 employees

Long terme planning tool

Always have a good view on my team's future.

Pros

In a blink of an eye, I can see who's busy on what, and for how long. It let me give a clear idea of planning for upcoming projects, see who's available for it and who's on holiday. Also, it let me check if we take too long to finish a project or not (by setting up a budget forecast).

Cons

It would be good to integrate other tools like Yadera or Monday.com. Also, I'd like to have an easier view on days split into different tasks (one per day is really clear, but as soon as you have 2-4 tasks a day, it's harder to read).

PW

Priti W.

Information Services, 11-50 employees

Resource View

It would be a perfect project management tool but needs more work. We are purely using it to manage resources and have other tools/softwares supplementing.

Pros

The visual look and similarity to the age old resourcing view that came out of excel. It makes scheduling easy

Cons

Spilt and having to right click and come back to add/edit every single time. Generally its working well for what we require of it

RS

Rachel S.

Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

Great software

Float allows the entire studio to understand what they're booked on and gives the managers a greater understanding of when tasks are completed.

Pros

Float is a really helpful piece of software, especially for running studio resourcing. The flexibility of being able to move jobs between different resources is great. Definitely one of the easiest resourcing tools i've used.

Cons

After doing a a few resource moves the system gets a bit buggy and you have to refresh or sometimes log out and log back in again to see the changes you've made.

at

alice t.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Float Review - Digital Agency

Pros

Cons

I love how simple the interface is. Everything is clear and on one page, useful reports, labels and additional features such as tentitive work or team views make resourcing much easier. I really like using this tool, I use it everyday at my work. It is easy to manage the pipeline and resolve clashes easily. It works well for a lower amount of people. As the buisness grows it is more effort to maintain. However for companies with less than 100 people this is a great solution. One negative is they removed the alt click drag to copy fundtion which I really found useful. Genreally it is a great tool!

CN

Chris N.

Great Concept with Some Server issues

Float helps us accurately manage our project life cycles and also individual workloads to ascertain useful information about performance rates and also account health.

Pros

Float is visually very easy to read and allows users to be succinct but detailed at the same time.

Cons

Float tends to not register all our changes and tends to not be completely "LIVE" as it requires multiple refreshes at times to attain the most updated information. This is mainly happens when there are multiple project managers. The export report is not as detailed as I would like it to be. It would be more beneficial to have monthly exports with breakdowns per job, per person and per week. I need to use the raw data more often than referring to the online report so it would be good to see some improvements on this.