Float

Resource planning for agencies, studios and firms.

Float Reviews

Pros

Quick and responsive interface with easy filtering. All of these are great improvments form our previus solution.

SG

Szabolcs G.

I am using float for almost 2 years not and I am in love with it. It made my life easy when I am working on multiple projects with easy navigation, clean design and easy to understand interface.

DK

Dharmesh K.

Float is super user friendly, very customisable and always reliable. It's our best planning tool we use.

Kalista A.

Cons

I get very disoriented scroll in two dimensions through the enormous grid, it can be confusing search through such a large spread of information.

RV

Roger V.

Only downside is that I'm unable to brand it up a bit with our company logo's/colours.

IT

Ian T.

It's annoying when trying to put half day tasks. Sometimes the cursor from neutral turns into cursor of completion or deletion without warning.

IS

Projectmanager

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Easy Ressource Planning Tool

Transcript

Peter K.: Hi, my name is Peter. I'm a project manager, and I would grade Float five from five stars....

Great for planning resources

Transcript

Jason S: Hi, my name's Jason. I'm a digital producer. I give Float five out of five stars. For more reviews...

Float - Nice tool for team management

Pros

It is a very visual tool, I love the timeline graph where you can easily filter down the resources on both person and project tags.

Cons

It is rather simple and I would like some more options for tailoring the product to our specific needs, like setting monthly cost limits and including more visual options on each project.

Best time tracking tool I've used so far

After using other 2 tools to log hours, I definitely choose float as my preferred one

Pros

The product is so intuitive, we didn't need a company meeting to explain how it works, we just started using it right away, and nobody experienced problems on how to use the tool. Logging hours is so easy, specially when you have your hours already planned.

Cons

Not sure if there's a way to plan vacations from float, right now we have to use a separate tool for that, and would be great if we could do everything from just one place

Hi Leandro, Thanks so much for your feedback and review! There is an option to add time-off to your schedule which includes vacation/paid leave, sick leave, and personal leave. We'd welcome hearing more specific feedback on the vacation planning you'd like to see. Please drop us a note to support@float.com. Thanks, Siobhan @ Float

Visual and Easy to Use

Pros

It's super simple to use, very visual and attend to all my project need (resource and allocation, timesheet tracking and project tracking).

Cons

The software lacks integration with Google Calendar.

Great value. Lots of potential

I've been using CETA scheduling software for the last 4 years in big VFX companies and I must say that Float is not there yet but is actually getting broadly comparable. In the last 4 months that I introduced it into my new team it's proved to be quite useful to keep track of the progression of our projects. During these months I've seen that it has already improved in many areas that I'm excited to see what comes next. I can see it can become a really powerful software.

Pros

There aren't may softwares that let you schedule a team in such an easy and organised way. I think most softwares nowadays are too complex and make you spend more time organising tasks than actually working on them. Float is so clear and simple you can actually use it to manage big projects without spending too much time on it.

Cons

It's getting better, but it would be very useful if we could: - Right click on a pencil and be able to copy it over into a different person. - Book more than one person on the same project (for example if two workers are on the same project because one of them is doing a training but you don't want to charge twice for that time). - Lately when I try to schedule more than 1 project in one day on the...

Good number of features without going overboard

Pros

Float has a nice clean interface with a powerful search feature so you can filter down by person, client, project etc. very quickly and easily. The documentation for Float's APIs is nice and clean. Although our software doesn't naturally integrate with Float, we've been able to use the API to bring projects in automatically from our sales tracking platform.

Cons

The way that people's time commitments on other projects are displayed on every project is useful to make sure nobody is over-resourced. However this means that each project can take up a fair amount of space, and using placeholder people/roles is a nightmare because they look incredibly over-booked if you're using them across many projects while planning.

Functional solution for growing team.

Pros

The ability to see all our staff and relevant resources in one place.

Cons

iOS app requires sign in every time it's launched. Push to googleCalendar does not refresh as often as would be ideal.

Very intuitive and easy to use

Overall I love the platform and ease of use

Pros

Setting up projects is very easy. Training the team was a breeze and once set up, the UX is so intuitive that everyone is using it like they've been on Float for years. Drag and drop functionality for the scheduler is very useful to. Great took to see who's doing what at a glance.

Cons

Not sure if it integrates with Asana, we use both but I believe we use them independently from each other. Putting hours on one and reflecting on the other would be amazing

Great Software for Time management, Simple to use and easy to follow in realtime

Pros

It's simple user interface makes it easy to follow for any user. It also has real time update capability so that you are always informed of what you should be working on at any current time.

Cons

I think tasks and notes should be displayed in small font or more obvious when you log time. The little note in the top right hand corner of the project tag can easily be missed, Also a feature to unlog time, instead of having to remember if you misclick

A good project management tool for small teams

Very good experience overall, would recommend.

Pros

The timeline view is very simple to use, it allows me to get a quick overview of the team load.

Cons

It's harder to cut a project into smaller chunks.

Hi Joel, Thanks so much for your review! We recently launched a new 'Project Phases' feature which lets you break down bigger projects into smaller parts, "chunks". You can read more about how it works in our Support Center here, https://support.float.com/en/articles/4787660-project-phases. Thanks again for the feedback and please reach out if you need any assistance! Cheers, Siobhan @ Float

Amazing Software

We use it on a daily basis to keep track of tasks and time spent on each.

Pros

The utility of it, efficiency, and the UX design.

Cons

I haven't explored its full capacity but No cons so far.

Great tool for visibility of projects

Overall my experience as an active user of Float has been great, it is very simple to use, and allows management to keep projects organized.

Pros

The bird's eye feature is a must, it allows for full visibility of the whole team, or segments of it, and allows managers to keep track of current, past, and upcoming projects.

Cons

Time report integration, we use Harvest and we have to use a different partner for this.

Hi Nathalye, Thanks so much for your review! We don't currently have any direct integrations with other time tracking tools. We do have time tracking available as an additional feature though on Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on their work schedule. https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking You're welcome to try this add-on free for 30 days. An Account Owner can activate this from the Team Settings page inside Float. If you need any help or have further questions, please feel free to email us at support@float.com. Thanks again for the review! Cheers, Siobhan

Development company taking next steps in project management

A very positive experience allowing the company I work for to get better more accurate project plans and financial reports.

Pros

The ease of use as a one stop shop, browser based to allow all the development team (and subsiduary but linked teams) to see important dates like dev complete, bug fix windows, cert windows and release dates. The ability to quickly block out time for features and projects. The ability to add notes and details to tasks. Fully fleshed out holiday and time off structure. Robust financial reports possible with very high degree of accuracy for budget per project, per quarter, per annum. We used to get by with using Excel, we invested in Float and it has taken the companies' project planning to the next step. I would recommend Float for small to mid sized companies definitely, it is a great product boost and good way of reporting and seeing issues early.

Cons

it does not allow you to easily move a bunch of small tasks along in the timeline, that's my only main gripe, you can't band box select you have to shift select. Everything else is intuitive and easy.

Integral part of our internal production process

Float has honestly been a game changer for our studio and as a result, the wider business. The minute we first started using the platform, it transformed the way we visualise our busy schedules and communicated with the wider teams about our availability and timelines. It's made our lives easier and simplified the overall production process - taking a lot of guesswork and confusion out of the equation.

Pros

The simplicity and immediacy of the timeline interface is massively important for digesting and understanding an often hectic and clogged schedule. Customisation of clients, projects and tasks means that we can see, at a glance, exactly what clients and projects we are working with - it takes a lot of the project management stress out of the process for teams like mine, who need to focus on their own tasks at hand.

Cons

I think there could be more options to input information within the tasks in a schedule - although there is a notes section, it would be great to see more integration with other platforms like the Google suite (Drive, slides, docs) that could streamline our process even more.

Float review for Audio Visual Studio

With using Float we have been able to have one central, accessible platform for the team to schedule tasks and projects and to assign them to the relevant individuals, sometimes weeks ahead of the deadlines. This has improved the teams overall planning of jobs and has allowed us to see what we can take on, what we need to reschedule and at times when we have to call in additional help to meet the deadlines. Float is quite easy to use and is improving all the time with new features. For us as an audio and design studio it has become an essential tool in our day to day operations that has benefited our overall productivity.

Pros

As a busy audio and visuals studio the biggest advantage we have seen with using Float is the scheduling feature. This allows us to schedule when projects and tasks need to take place, and who is working on and responsible for each project and task. As we have a number of people on our team and often numerous projects on the go at one time, Float has allowed us to better coordinate everything and has become vital in ensuring that projects and tasks are completed on time by each individual team member. As a team we can view the overall workload and time frames involved, while as an individual you can keep track of what tasks or projects you are working on and what projects you can or can not take on due to scheduling.

Cons

Sometimes the administrator /account owner has certain scheduling permissions and can add projects for individual team members int he scheduling feature. This is great but when these scheduled tasks or projects need to be changed or reshuffled it can only be done by the admin person / account owner and not the individual. There have been times when the admin person has not been available and I have needed to change the scheduled projects created by the admin person but have not been able to and have had to wait for the admin person to do it. This is the only downside so far that I have experienced using Float.

So Glad I Found this Software!

Overall, it has been a value add to the way we do things. We were using Google Sheets to schedule and calculate bandwidth before and the limitations were severe. I'm thrilled that we now have an easier and more attractive way to plan work!

Pros

I like the ease of use for bandwidth calculation. Before Float, it would be very difficult for us to understand Trainer occupancy, and it was also a challenge to schedule trainings far in advance over several regions. With Float, I can see what's coming up at a glance and provide accurate reports to stakeholders so that they know how busy we are and will be. At the end of the quarter, I can easily calculate and show how much time we spent, and on what.

Cons

For my specific use, access can be a challenge. I need something between "Project Manager" and "Member." For me, it would be ideal if there are a "Department Manager" role where people who had this level of access could modify the schedule for anyone in their department, but not see or edit the schedule of other departments.

A fantastic, easy to use software that gets the job done

Pros

The simplicity of Float was what sold it for us. As a company with around 90 very busy engineers and designers, entering workload data needed to take less than 5 minutes. With Float we can do this. Once all the data is in Float, managers can easily see who needs more work and who is overloaded. Support is also fantastic. The instant message service on the website always gets a fast response.

Cons

No major issues. If I had to nitpick, I had to create a workaround to allow all employees to be able to automatically see every project in the system sithout assigning it to them. To do this I had to make every user an admin. But this works fine.

Excellent tool for team scheduling and follow-ups

Our company went from 1 to 5 people in the past year. We also have interns or students that are only here for a while. We now have a tool that allows us to follow up projects and team schedules in a very clear way without creating big overhead costs. It works fast and efficient for us.

Pros

Easy to use. We can view the schedule of the entire team in one screen and make instant changes if necessary.

Cons

When creating tasks, the difference between creating projects and clients can be annoying. Also: provide more colours! ;-)

How Float works for us

After using the Trial, we found the best way to apply it to our business and implemented quickly for Live usage. We have been using Float daily since and it has been successful in providing a complete overview of staff workload and availability. It provides clarity for future scheduling.

Pros

* Provides an overview of scheduled work and staff availability for forecasting and scheduling * Ability to assign consultants to specific projects, while also assigning individual tasks. * Minimal duplication of work as the system maintains the lifetime of the projects * Ability to link to Jira tasks * Easy to schedule timeframes * Can view based on teams or individuals

Cons

Not a lot we didn't like, but it would be great to have; * Task breakdowns * Two way Jira linking (Currently only from Jira) * Pull more data from Jira (Timeframes etc)

Resource planning in big picture

Float is great tool that helps us in three ways: 1. Planning resources in the near future - thanks to this we can easily know what specialist and when will have free time for some short maintenance or start new project. 2. Planning time off office days 3. Get statistics about how much time was spend in which project in wide perspective and quickly check who and when was working on what milestone off the project for client reports.

Pros

How easy it is. To book resource or edit time range you only need a few clicks or drag and drop.

Cons

It will be nice to get notifications about not booked time of some resource and small tool for moving all booked resources for a given project in time.

Float Review

We used to use a HUGE white board and dry erase markers for our schedule. We thought that this was the best way for us to tackle our job scheduling and Float was met with a bit of resistance once the boss said we were going to try it. WOW, were we wrong. I would never look back now that we are using Float. One of the best tools we ever used. We are scheduling anywhere from 18 to 26 techs on this program and I fully encourage anyone even thinking of possibly trying out a program for scheduling to do your self a favor and try out Float. I'd be shocked if your not impressed by it.

Pros

Kudos to you guys! I love the newer faster Float! You are making my job much easier & faster. Love the faster navigating/scrolling and the changing of a task’s time by scrolling on the schedule up or down beats the hell out of having to open the task and do it from there. Love the new feature that you can hover over the work task and the notes appear without having to open the task. Great job, keep it up!

Cons

Would like to be able to move a task to the afternoon (or lower in the cell) for a day where it is not a full days worth of hours and there is nothing else for that employee that day. Example, I have a technician on a 4 hour training course and it is in the afternoon. He has nothing else scheduled that day but I can't move the task lower in the cell so it looks like it is scheduled for the morning. It would be nice if you could hover over the "Time off" cells and see the notes associated with it , like you can for a work task, without having to open the "time off" cell.

Simple and powerful resource management tool to manage team workload

We really love Float and it’s been a game changer in effectively managing our resources across projects. We now have a clear view on our resource pipeline and it’s allowed project managers to better utilise team based on availability and make more informed hiring decisions.

Pros

Easy to setup and use without any training required. Clean interface that makes it easy to view and update resources assigned to projects. Love the ability to easily drag to extend duration of tasks assigned.

Cons

Would be great if there was a better integration with our timesheet tool (Xero) to populate timesheets automatically based on plan in Float.

Hi Ben, Thanks for your review! I've passed your Xero integration request to our team. I also wanted to let you know that we do have a time tracking add-on in Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on the work schedule. You can find out how it works here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking. All Float users can try time tracking free for 30 days. The Account Owner needs to activate this from the Team Settings in Float. If you want a demo of how it works, or have any questions, please feel free to email us at support@float.com. Thanks again for the review! Cheers, Siobhan

Great Visual Tool for Resource Management

We've been able to better project planning times for business needs coming in. When we know how long something takes via Float, we're able to give clearer milestones to our clients and we can manage our internal deadlines better. When you're able to take a quick peak at Float and see what someone is working on for the next few days, it's a more efficient way to manage resourcing expectations internally and across business units internally.

Pros

With Float, I love that you can make instant decisions on capacity management. I can assign someone a scheduled task and easily move the task back and forth between two team members if needed. It's a great visual tool to see how long people are spending in a certain area and to help plan ahead for the future. It gives a full visual picture of capacity and resource management, which can be hard to do. I love that you're able to assign color coding and different notes to each project, so you can monitor the health of the project properly and understand how many people are actually touching it.

Cons

Sometimes, there are some small glitches that happen, where you make an update and it either disappears or adds additional time to someone's schedule (making them fully at capacity). There aren't many cons to this application other than that because sometimes it can just take a lot of refreshing and some rework because sometimes the refreshes can cause a loss in information inputted.

Intuitive and helpful software, let down by occasional performance issues

Although I list here several cons, I think these are far outweighed by the practical benefits of using the product, and certainly don’t dampen the experience too much. My experience so far with Float has been one of trying to make it reflect reality, and encourage adoption within our organisation. I think the real advantage of using it will be one project managers are widely aware of its benefits, and proactively use it to resource projects and keep abreast of changes in the availability of our team.

Pros

Float is an incredibly intuitive piece of software to use, with a simple calendar-like interface that everyone can understand. I have found that this aspect of the software is helpful in promoting its adoption within our teams. The experience is consistent across the product, which has allowed me to discover more and more features in and enrich the experience of using the product.

Cons

The performance of the software is occasionally a bit lacklustre. For example, I often find myself accidentally clicking somewhere on the screen which prompts a dialogue box to open to enter a new task. This problem is especially pronounced when using a trackpad, and isn’t something that I experience elsewhere. Additionally, the interface seems to have a strange way of ‘splitting’ tasks that occur...

Beautifully simple and easy to use

Float is a product I like using, and I wish some of its features and UX elements were in the other software that I use! We use Synergist for job and project management, but Float for scheduling because it UX is so much better than Synergist's scheduler tool.

Pros

Float's user interface and logic are inspirational. They have made the activity of coordinating multiple resources on multiple projects about as easy as it can be. They have paid a lot of attention to usability, efficient use of screen real estate and simple navigation. However the killer feature is the intuitive yet clever way that searching and data navigation work. All searching and filtering is done using a single search field, which offers indexed word search on pretty much everything including tags. There is also a well-worked out protocol for handling union and intersect searches.

Cons

The only real bugbear is that any user that can enter data into the system can define new values for any field. It isn't possible to centrally control lists such as task names, clients, job descriptions etc. This means that if you have more than one person using the system, very quickly you get different versions of the same thing being defined (e.g. job roles being slightly different) which makes it difficult to analyse across records. Not a dealbreaker, but I do think it should be possible to lock down lists of values. Also it would be good if you could zoom out the view a little more - if you're dealing with more than a dozen resources/projects.

Program Manager using Float

We are using Float in our organization to manage resource allocation and we have been using it for the last 3 years. It has been mostly great and enhanced our resource allocation amazingly and provided great visibility into resourcing across different programs and into the future. We use Float to track Holidays and vacation across all regions (worldwide), we use it to forecast allocation and revenue...

Pros

- Easy of use - Performance - Interface - Good visibility into my resources and their load

Cons

- There were couple glitches and numerous updates in January but that is resolved now - Previously performance was not great, but there are great improvements recently on that part - Adding holidays could be easier - When grouped by project I'd like Float to show all assigned project for people, not only specified project