Float Reviews

Float

Resource planning for agencies, studios and firms.

Float

Good project dashboard

Pros

To see all my team tasks To see all my projects at the same time

Cons

Can not edit project from "project" tab. Can not have a timeSheet for my team. Can not have a gantt to projects.

Change the way you work!

Time spent managing an excel spreadsheet, trying to integrate or find out staff holidays and /or training, managing pipeline work and assigning staff - all this is now achieved in minutes rather than hours!

Pros

Float saves you time: when you manage a number of resources across multiple clients and projects and lets not forget planned training and AL - most organisations don't have one system where employees, managers and project managers can view staff availability. The administration for Float is low and does not require you to update!

Cons

updating a resource and having to select the Today button again - sometimes is confusing

I use float everyday

We're juggling a bunch of different client projects. Float keeps me organized and sane.

Pros

I used to use Trello to stay on top of my projects, now i use float. I can see what everyone's working on, and plan around not only my presentations/deadlines but the entire companies.

Cons

i've never used float mobile. I'm trying to think of when I would though, usually I'm starting my day sitting at my computer looking at Float.

Hi Brent, Thanks so much for your review! In case you do still use Trello too, we've just launched an integration so you can import cards into a sidebar in Float, and drag and drop them directly onto your schedule. Feel free to check out the details here, https://www.float.com/blog/connect-trello-and-float. Thanks again! Cheers, Siobhan

Floatastic

It's been invaluable for design resource planning and tracking for both designers seeing their plan for the week and account managers ensuring we have enough hands on deck.

Pros

We've been using Float for daily and forward resource planning for about 2-3 years. It was good to start with, but has continually been updated and improved, the latest version has great new features that we've always wished we had. There are tons of great features: colour coding of projects, annual leave and public holiday entry, scaling of time blocks.

Cons

Most of the niggles have been fixed in this latest update. But having to enter hex numbers for colour selection. It's account managers using this product not designers.

Float is a great solution for small businesses looking to get their schedules organised

Easy visual scheduling for the team

Pros

We love the easy drag and drop interface, the ease of use of the whole system, the API allowing us to create/sync projects and tasks from our project management system, and the ability for our team to sync their Float schedule to their iOS or Exchange calendars via the iCal feed.

Cons

We think there are some minor things that would make the software even easier to use missing from it: - ability to drag and drop to copy a schedule from one person/resource to another (not just reallocate) - ability to see Notes on a project by hovering over the quick note icon on the schedule - ability to see confirmed appointments vs tentative (clients are using colours to do this at the moment)

Packed full of features but not fully utilised

It was easy to implement and helped streamline our scheduling of jobs within the team. However, it is has lots of features which weren't properly utilised and lacked better user experience.

Pros

It does not require all users to create a user and login. The administrative team set up all colleagues and could get started with scheduling work immediately. That convenience helped allow the rest of the team to be freed of the cumbersome admin work and concentrate on our tasks. The whole seamless implementation is complemented by how our team members could check our schedules right from the browsers.

Cons

The application seemed to be a bit laggy. It is probably due to a lot of features that most of us do not require using. Without proper onboarding UI/UX, it further discourages us from exploring the application to find out how to put it to good use.

Into the future you go with Float

It has transformed our creative deparment going from excel sheets sent around via email at the end of the week to everyone having an account and checking their workload for the day. It has also meant I can work closer with the finance department to forecast and see hours burnt.

Pros

Float completely transformed our creative department as it allowed me to be much more reactive with organising the workflow of the floor. Float gave me back so many hours to manage projects. It's very easy to use and a great way to see what projects are booked in with who. We have multiple projects and the colour coding tool for clients is a dream!

Cons

The only con I have found with Float is aligning the same projects tasks in one line. For instance Person A could have Project X with 1st development ending on tuesday and 1st comments on wednesday starting 2nd development, if they have another project, say project Y that could be in the same row as 1st development and 2nd development could be a line below making it a bit hard to follow.

Daily user

Easy to schedule people for daily tasks and coordinate projects

Pros

Easy to navigate add and remove and replace items

Cons

There really isn't anything I don't like

Float, the scheduling tool that powers our team

Float has enabled us to grow our team without much additional effort to track and report on the team allocations. It is essential for our traffic and scheduling.

Pros

We depend on float to track allocation of work across our team. This varies from tasks which take a few hours, to tasks which take multiple weeks or months. Float handles all this, enabling us to see which of our team need work, and how we can juggle or reschedule work when things change.

Cons

We do have duplication between team members' Google calendars and float, and have tried to resolve this by automating a synchronisation - but the calendars will always have more detail than Float so we are living with this duality.

More than just scheduling

Analysing data and productive hours is made simple with Float. It also allows visibility for stakeholders who needs it.

Pros

In just a few clicks, a year (or a few years) of schedule becomes data which can be easily utilised for future planning, be it human resource or project scope.

Cons

Scheduling takes a few steps, from creating project templates, to duplicating them and renaming them before scheduling them in.

Great scheduling tool

I've used Float for a number of years now, it's my go-to tool for scheduling resource as it's very quick to setup, and only takes a few minutes each day to update and maintain. The pricing model is also great, as it's per resource, so you can have as many (free) account as you like with access to see the schedules still.

Pros

Float is great for scheduling development resource, the biggest advantage it offers is the ability to quickly and easily make amends and changes, and seeing what impact that has on other projects.

Cons

the UX can be a bit fiddly when it comes to setting up repeating events, such as weekly maintenance windows. It does however become easier once you master the keyboard shortcuts.

Wonderful piece of software

Pros

Float has given me more overview in my day-to-day planning at work. It's a wonderful tool that does what you'd expect. Besides the wonderful functionality and ease-of-use, it looks very good, too.

Cons

I'm personally missing a few key features: - I'd like to see Google Calendar integration, it'd be nice to see my day in my calendar on the go. - Notifications would be handy, I've had it happen my planning has been changed without me knowing. - A dark theme is always a good thing, would love to see that added.

Hi Finn, Thanks so much for the feedback! We do have a Google Calendar integration. You can select this from the global navigation menu > My profile settings > Integrations. Support article: http://support.float.com/en/articles/2795210-google-calendar-integration We're working on notifications at the moment, stay tuned! Thanks again for the feedback and choosing Float! Siobhan

Float review

Pros

Ease of use. Ease of setup. Simple licensing model

Cons

Should have the ability to show far more consultants on a single screen - requires too much scrolling

Using Float in a Design Agency

My overall eperince with float has been amazing, I have been able to see what is in store for me the following week after the lead designer delegates the work, I am able to track my time sheet accordingly, the colour coding of clients helps a ton at a quick glance.

Pros

Float offers collaboration for multiple users that interact with one another on a daily basis. It is really efficient to see at a glance who will be working with who and to calculate the number of hours spent on certain clients including meetings that are scheduled over and above the workload for said client. This is a very effective way to evaluate schedules, costings and collaboration.

Cons

Adding in items that are shorter than an hour that can still be readable at a glance, maybe increasing the standard bar height? Perhaps giving a weekly view in email in the form of a timeline. The verticle timeline doesn't sit with me well. I would also like to see something like Mondays fully integrated with float.

By far the best tool I've found to allocate people to projects

As the title says, I find this tool the easiest to use for allocating people to my projects. We've used this in the previous company I worked for and I suggested it here again. Our whole PMO is enthousiastic!

Pros

easy to use Clear setup Organisations / skills / tags for people and projects

Cons

I'ts not quite as snappy running in a browser. I'd like to see an windows app for this.

Float 2017-2019

Our team would be unorganised chaos without it!

Pros

I've been using Float to organise the structure of our Design Team for over two years now, we trialled a few different alternatives but ultimately Float was the top pick for our team. The simplistic booking system means ease of use for our Designers, we can view our work, the time, the project type, and add in notes with project manager names so we know who to contact. Being able to share an un-editable version of this schedule with the wider team is perfect for visibility on available time.

Cons

The lack of an Android version of the Float app.

Great tool for scheduling across a busy creative team

We have been trialling Float in order to replace a pen-and-whiteboard system in our office - it replicates the experience of that board almost exactly, with the added bonus that our team and other teams within the agency can view the schedule from anywhere, rather than needing to be at the office location. So far, with the exception of the minor suggested tweaks above, it has done everything we've needed it to.

Pros

The quick and intuitive means by which projects and jobs can be added, updated and moved around in schedules. It's a really handy way to both view and quickly update the full picture of workloads, schedules, availability and project progress.

Cons

While excellent for immediate-term planning, I would like to see a little more in the way of options for longer-term, or non-date-specific, planning - perhaps the ability to add a "pending" column that sits persistently alongside the day and date columns, to act as a reminder of jobs that will come onto schedule soon but aren't ready to be assigned to a particular day/week! It would also be useful to be able to less evenly proportion time across days - e.g. spread a job over two days but assign more hours to one than the other, rather than the equal split as present. These are feature requests rather than issues, though - on the whole the experience is excellent and does exactly as you'd hope/expect.

Float is my go-to tool for time management

I manage a team of 8 consultants. Float allows me to see where everyone is going to be on just one screen, instead of having to check 8 different calendars. Ease of my job is absolutely the biggest benefit.

Pros

Weekly emails, ease of adding in new projects or tasks to existing projects, the color options (it's like working in a rainbow!), and the reporting/statistics feature. It's nice being able to see current utilization vs. projected. It's very basic, but very straightforward. I also love how it's cloud based, so I can access it anywhere I need to.

Cons

My only complaint is that if you make adjustments to the weekly schedule too close to when the weekly emails go out, the changes might not always get picked up in the notification. I've worked with the developer team to try and figure this one out without any luck. It's so minor, though.

Simple Project and Schedule Manager

Pros

My company tried using Asana for about a year and found it too complicated to get everyone on the same page. Then we went fully manual, by switching to spreadsheets for schedule and project management. Float finds a nice middle ground of simplicity and interactive UI. It's great that managers can view everything from a project view and makers and creatives can look at just their own schedule. Plus the option to subscribe to an actual calendar format makes it easy to view our schedules on the go from our phones and personal devices.

Cons

I haven't found a way to specify what TIME of day things need to happen. When viewing from a subscribed calendar, every event is an "all day event"

Great for everyday use, maybe not for small projects.

Overal I am very happy with all the (recent) functionalities that Float has to offer. Especially the budget tracking option is great.

Pros

The quick overview and filter options to see the availability of you and your teams is essential for me to get a grip on our capacity. The recent function to assign tasks to multiple members has even more improved the functionality in my day to day use.

Cons

The schedule function doesn't seem to be ideal for planning small projects that either take up a small part of the day or only last for a short period of time. It is quite cumbersome to work with multiple 1-2hr task during a day.

Float - Makes Scheduling So Much Easier

Overall my experience has been positive. I've experienced just a few minor annoyances, but nothing to break my day down.

Pros

I like that you can easily search and pare down to locate the information you need. Visually it is very appealing and easy to maneuver through. This tool really helps to manage a large number of people's schedules and keep things organized.

Cons

I do and do not like the holiday feature. I appreciate that you can easily add holidays in different regions, but it's kind of difficult to customize for a large group. I also have a problem when I am working in Float - the "My projects" "Departments" drop down lingers and I constantly have to click in the search bar to type something to make it go away. Last feature I think could be enhanced - when making changes to an event - there should be a "are you sure" window that pops up to confirm that you do want to delete. I've mistakenly made changes before where I didn't mean to which caused some problems.

Great resource for resource and project management!

Great overall experience with a simple UI that gets the job done with little to no problems.

Pros

Graphs and charts are easy to read, allowing me to quickly see what projects I'm on and what is coming down the pipeline in the following weeks.

Cons

Time tracking would be a great feature to have that I wish was available, with that float could become even closer to my all-in-one app for project management.

Hi Ryan, Thanks for your review! We do have time tracking available as an add-on feature in Float. You can check out how it works on our website here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking. A free 30 day trial is available from the Team Settings page inside Float. Your team's timesheets will be pre-filled based on their scheduled task hours. All they have to do is verify them, and hit "Log"! Please feel free to email support@float.com if you have any questions. Cheers, Siobhan

Excellent tool

We are using float every day to manage our 12 week resource schedule and balance the workforce.

Pros

It is simple and easy to use . The User Interface is clean an uncluttered and you can quickly see who has capacity to take on more work.

Cons

We would like the ability to lock down the settings and colours, so we can enforce upcoming jobs of different type or status are shown in the same colour. It would also be good to have regional settings for things like public holidays so these aren't applied globally. Holidays differ across countries (e.g. thanksgiving doesn't apply in Canada and Australia.

Overall a good tool

It's one of the best tools on the market.

Pros

Float is a relatively easy to use tool regarding its amount of features. The UI is quite intuitive and the Float guys are updating and implementing features regularly.

Cons

Since we implemented our whole company in Float the system got slower. It was much faster when we had only 30-40 employees to handle. Now with nearly 500 it often reacts slowly and that feels like a bug. There are a lot of features still missing and I wish there were more possibilities to customise.

Hi Marc, Thanks so much for the review! We're always keen to hear from our customers about improvements and new features to add to Float. Please feel welcome to email support@float.com with your specific feedback. Cheers, Siobhan

Quick and easy

I find Float very quick and easy to use. On the rare occasions I have shared feedback with the Float team responses have been swift and considered. There have been significant improvements during the time I've been using Float which has streamlined features and usability.

Pros

I think one of the most attractive features is it's ease for inputting data and activities. It's quick and easy, and this makes it easy to teach and implement within a team. The last thing you want is a tedious process that is time consuming and slows down productivity.

Cons

Overall I think it is very simple and easy to use. Some of the recent updates and features that have been added over the last couple years have overcome some of the issues that I probably noticed when I started using it.